• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Of all the characters, Yuna and Lightning?

Anyways, my favorites are Lucca, Ayla, and Marle.

I'm not actually sure who my favorite would be. Terra, Rydia, Dagger, and Freya are cool, and I don't remember anything bad about Fran and Ashe either.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess the reasons for mine are

Terra, because her design is my favorite for the female characters and her story background was pretty interesting to me out of a lot of the cast.

Celes obviously because of her being in two iconic scenes for me. The Opera House scene and the cliff scene on Solitary Island.
Her personality and interactions were good too.

Tifa was pretty interesting because of how her personality was so flawed on how she treats Cloud throughout. I suppose Rydia's up there now that I think about it. Faris's background is cool, she just stands out less because FFV just isn't strongly written. For XIII, Fang was pretty cool. One of the few characters I liked out of that game.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I guess I should expand on my choices a little bit, too.

Terra, well, I think I mirror Minato's thoughts on her. Not much to say there.

Yuffie...? I thought the whole (slightly) ditzy thief archetype was endearing in my heyday. Her backstory wasn't too terribly compelling, but it was interesting enough for me to like her. I'm also a big fan of her overall design.

And I usually don't like the little bottles of sunshine like Rikku, but I guess her optimism was infectious in a way that appealed to me. At least from what I can remember, anyways. It's been years since I touched X.

Smooth Criminal

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I chose Fran because I like her design and I couldn't think of another female character I put on the same level as Celes and Terra

finalark

SNORLAX
That's fun, since my subscription ran out before New Years :(

Will probably pay once again when I get my priorities in order.
I'm going to resub once the semester starts and I can get into a steady schedule with school and work. My friends roped me back into playing WoW once the summer kicks up but that's not going to be for a while.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So I've been playing this ROMhack called FFVI: Brave New World. It's pretty darn enjoyable. Defeated 2 of the dragons so far.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Not really. It's a boosted difficulty and rebalanced hack. Also no one can equip every Esper so your party won't just spam Ultima. Kinda like in IX.

Terra and Celes: Your red mages on steroids. Can learn the most magic. Terra has a better spell selection. Celes has slightly better stats. Terra's morph is toggle based. It's permanent throughout a battle and it doesn't need recharging, but she sacrifices defense for offense. But the higher Terra's stamina is, the less damage she takes in morph

Locke: Primary focus on healing and his speed. And since the evasion bug is fixed, his high evade is actually worth a damn. Can only steal from human enemies now

Edgar: His tools are better. Spears now do equal damage from the back row. He's best for tanking

Sabin: All of his claws does elemental damage. Not much in armor selection but has better natural stats. Several blitzes now fueled by his Stamina stat

Cyan: Bushidos are overhauled. They load faster. And since not everyone is at the mercy of magic alone, his high physical stats are actually worth something

Shadow: High evasion. Throwing weapons can now multi target

Gau: Easier to get rages (Only monsters that has rages can appear in Vedlt now) He's also the fastest character in the game.

Setzer: Slots can now be timed. GP Toss is useful and Stamina based

Mog: He's more versatile. 50/50 chance of stumbling during a dance. Healing during dances is based on Stamina while offensives moves in a dance is based on magic

Strago: Lores reworked to actually be worthwhile. Can only equipped rods as a weapon.

Relm: Has access to the stronger spells in the game. Is a speedy little brat. Requires a brush to Sketch now or it won't work. Speaking of Sketch it is now tied to her stats instead of the target's stats. Also you can heal allies by attacking them while she's equipped with a brush

Umaro: Just does what he does in the original but with better stats

Gogo: He can use any unique skillsets that your characters can use, even ones from those you have not yet re-recruited. He still has mimic.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
So.... Nova Crystallis, a FF fan site I regular, posted their review of Lightning Returns. Their verdict? A 5 out of 10 (average, thank god these people know how to actually use a ratings scale). They summarized it as "An RPG with interesting ideas that unfortunately fail to excite past its excellent battle mechanics. Questionable pacing, boring side quests along with a nonsensical story make up a game that is unremarkable, but decent."

I haven't actually sat down and read the full review yet, just the summary (been too busy taking advantage of free FF14 time). To be honest, that seems like a rather fair score given that this is a fan site. But then again, this is a fan site so take everything with a grain of salt.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-import-review/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So.... Nova Crystallis, a FF fan site I regular, posted their review of Lightning Returns. Their verdict? A 5 out of 10 (average, thank god these people know how to actually use a ratings scale). They summarized it as "An RPG with interesting ideas that unfortunately fail to excite past its excellent battle mechanics. Questionable pacing, boring side quests along with a nonsensical story make up a game that is unremarkable, but decent."

I haven't actually sat down and read the full review yet, just the summary (been too busy taking advantage of free FF14 time). To be honest, that seems like a rather fair score given that this is a fan site. But then again, this is a fan site so take everything with a grain of salt.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-import-review/
Kagari on GAF is the one that runs that site and did the review. I definitely trust her on the pros and cons of the game.

It's too bad that LR isn't the FF quality I've been waiting for, but I'll pick it up eventually down the road.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite numbered FF game and I'm sure many people will agree with me on that. :grin:
IX seems to be the series high point, where everything tipped off from there and they started to try all these new things to keep the series, "Fresh".
Ugh... :urg:
There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".
FFIX at the time it was released was trying to find the balance of going back to its roots but sparsely (and seamlessly) adding a few new things too. Nowadays, the whole game seems kinda old-school! I wish the people behind the games now would try to take this attitude when making future FF games.
I mean, FFIX is STILL their highest rated game right? I mean like critically between both professional journalists, raters, the general game playing population etc. so why not look back and re-learn what made their games so great to begin with? :ohwell:

I just believe FFIX just got the right formula at the right time, ya know? And today it is still fun to go back and play it if you can!

finalark

SNORLAX
I mean, FFIX is STILL their highest rated game right? I mean like critically between both professional journalists, raters, the general game playing population etc. so why not look back and re-learn what made their games so great to begin with? :ohwell:
IX is my favorite game in the series, and easily one of my favorite games of all time, but I have to point out that IX is the lowest selling and lowest rated FF in the PS trilogy and at the time of its release was a rather divisive game. Although most people seem to have warmed up to it over the years despite the fact for a while Square seemed to ignore its existence. That being said, even though I personally think that IX has the best narrative I can see how the slow battle system, near-useless trance system and favoring party composition over character customization could turn people off to the game.

IX seems to be the series high point, where everything tipped off from there and they started to try all these new things to keep the series, "Fresh".
EDIT: While I'm here, I'd like to say that I personally enjoyed X, XI, XII and XIVARR (although my opinion on XI is... complicated). Hell, I even enjoyed XIII to an extent.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
IX is my favorite game in the series, and easily one of my favorite games of all time, but I have to point out that IX is the lowest selling and lowest rated FF in the PS trilogy and at the time of its release was a rather divisive game. Although most people seem to have warmed up to it over the years despite the fact for a while Square seems to ignore its existence. That being said, even though I personally think that IX has the best narrative I can see how the slow battle system, near-useless trance system and favoring party composition over character customization could turn people off to the game.

EDIT: While I'm here, I'd like to say that I personally enjoyed X, XI, XII and XIVARR (although my opinion on XI is... complicated). Hell, I even enjoyed XIII to an extent.

Uguu.... The lowest selling and lowest rated FF game...? :confused: Really!?!? :confused:
Where am I getting my information from then huh? :psycho:
I do like FFXII A whole lot actually but X and XIII were way to linear to be considered a true RPG to me! X-2 was decent.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Despite beating IX fully once, it's an FF I hold dear. When I rank my FFs, IX is usually out of place since I haven't played it in so long. I plan on replaying it again this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's top 3 for me. I doubt we'll ever see another FF of that style because of the current leaders of Square. They've moved on and tried to stay with the other demographic of FF players.

finalark

SNORLAX
Despite beating IX fully once, it's an FF I hold dear. When I rank my FFs, IX is usually out of place since I haven't played it in so long. I plan on replaying it again this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's top 3 for me. I doubt we'll ever see another FF of that style because of the current leaders of Square. They've moved on and tried to stay with the other demographic of FF players.
Well, we're getting Bravely Default. I believe that's as close to classic FF as we're ever going to get, since Square seems determined to make most FF titles follow in Advent Children's footsteps.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, we're getting Bravely Default. I believe that's as close to classic FF as we're ever going to get, since Square seems determined to make most FF titles follow in Advent Children's footsteps.
True. My only worry right now is if BD's artist that's now freelance won't work on BD later. Also if the series gets milked too much. I remember hearing SE wanting to do a BD game every year or something of that sort.

finalark

SNORLAX
True. My only worry right now is if BD's artist that's now freelance won't work on BD later. Also if the series gets milked too much. I remember hearing SE wanting to do a BD game every year or something of that sort.
I know that BD is getting a sequel called Bravely Second, but we don't have anything close to a release date for it. It seems uncharacteristic for Square to announce a sequel so quickly (then again, Square has been all about sequels lately), especially to what is essentially a new IP. Frankly, I'm against the whole idea of yearly sequels, since it makes a franchise incredibly samey after a while.

I applaud Square for making an effort to appeal to fans of old-school JRPGs, but I agree that I don't want a BD game every year. Oh well, maybe with how sequel-happy Sqeenix has been we can finally cross our fingers for Chrono Break. Or a Mana game that doesn't suck.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Finding out everyone from Chrono Trigger died horrible deaths in Chrono Cross was kind of...

WHY?

Except for, perhaps, Ayla Frog and Magus

I don't think it mentions what happens to them

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I haven't been able to give Cross a chance because of that.

Every time I start it up I remember that everyone was killed off. Who could have wanted that from a Chrono Trigger sequel of all games?
I also haven't been able to get into the gameplay and think the character designs are inferior to Akira Toriyama's, so there's that.

At least the music in the opening is really good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just remember it still isn't considered a direct sequel.

I have mixed feelings on Cross. My biggest issue of the game is the middle part and the amount of characters. Size it down to a third and make it FFVI style, and it would've been a great game. The character designs aren't too bad to me. I actually like them, but I'm not a fan of the art itself if that makes sense. Battle system was way too easy besides 2 fights or so. Disappointing since battles in CT were easy enough.

Still though, I think Cross's music and graphics are amazing. Maybe I'll do another playthrough before/after FFIX.

I'd say give it a shot eventually and try to remember it's not a true sequel according to the creator.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The character designs aren't too bad to me. I actually like them, but I'm not a fan of the art itself if that makes sense.
I shouldn't have said character designs, this is more like what I think. Many of the designs I've seen are not bad, but I really don't care for the art style.

I still want to play it, even if it's mostly because of the music at this point. It's still sitting on my PSP.

It seems strange to include the main characters in something that isn't a direct sequel, but it's not like whatever happens in Cross could ever change what I think of Trigger. It's easy enough to view them as separate games, I just haven't made it a priority to play Cross.

But Cross is going to wait. As far as JRPGs go, Bravely Default is soon, and I've recently started Xenoblade.
I'm also thinking of trying Xenogears whenever I finish that, not sure yet.

finalark

SNORLAX
To me, Cross will always be that elusive game that I started but could never get into. I used to have a copy on PS1 that I picked up used from Game Stop many years ago (remember back when you could buy PS1 games at Game Stop?). I bought it almost immediately after I beat Chrono Trigger, came home and played it for a while, put it down, never found the will to pick it back up again. But that was when I was around eleven or so. I wonder if I could get into it if I tried it again today?

finalark

SNORLAX
*BUMP* Some FFXIV-related news.

First off, if any of you held off on the PC/PS3 version of the game so you could nab it on PS4, the PS4 version now has an April 14th release date.

Second of all, some new features to be implemented in the next patch have been revealed. I'll just copy-paste the list:

• Summoning Bell in Revenant’s Toll
  • New Features for the Market Boards (Wish List feature, and adjustments on the filters)
  • Ability to summon minions and mounts at random
  • Dhorme Chimera and Hydra being added to the Duty Finder
  • Gear sets will automatically substitute main arm when item is not available
  • Cooldown timer for timeworn maps to be displayed or adjusted (not clarified)
  • Crafting stats will affect quick synthesis success rate
  • Gear dying preview feature
  • Notification feature for Party Finder
  • Mog Letter history
  • New achievement rewards
  • New feature to reselect focus targets (i.e. Primals after they disappear for certain attacks)
  • Map marker feature
  • More action icons for macros
  • New command to have character look towards the Camera
  • Characters will appear wet during rainy weather
  • Potential targets will have a glowing outline when hovering the mouse over them
Sauce: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...ary-patch-2-16-and-2-2-through-the-maelstrom/

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/01/final-fantasy-xiv-heads-to-playstation-4-on-april-14th/

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite numbered FF game and I'm sure many people will agree with me on that. :grin:
There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".
FFIX at the time it was released was trying to find the balance of going back to its roots but sparsely (and seamlessly) adding a few new things too. Nowadays, the whole game seems kinda old-school! I wish the people behind the games now would try to take this attitude when making future FF games.

I just believe FFIX just got the right formula at the right time, ya know? And today it is still fun to go back and play it if you can!

I remember being really immersed in IX. There was this one city that had an auction house and was perpetual night and it had one of the best town themes I can think of. Unfortunately one of my discs was scratched and it pooped out on me somewhere near the end of the second disc. I've never actually played the rest of it but I plan on doing so now that I bought it on PSN.

finalark

SNORLAX
I remember being really immersed in IX. There was this one city that had an auction house and was perpetual night and it had one of the best town themes I can think of. Unfortunately one of my discs was scratched and it pooped out on me somewhere near the end of the second disc. I've never actually played the rest of it but I plan on doing so now that I bought it on PSN.
That city was Treno, and that music was this:

If I ever threw together a favorite games of all time list, IX would easily be in the top 3, competing with Sonic Adventure 2 and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the top spot. I love it so much that I play through it every year.

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
That's it alright. Not to mention FFIX had the best battle theme in the entire series. I think it's impossible for Nobuo Uematsu to make a dull soundtrack, no matter what he works on it always has some stand out tracks, or on occasions like FFX he makes a soundtrack where every single track is a stand out one.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Yeah, I can agree that FFIX's battle theme is, if not the best, at least top 3 FF battle themes.

How about best FF song? My most favorite is definitely Eternal Wind from FF3(J).

Last edited:
Top Bottom