• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Disney Discussion

Are you excited for Toy Story 4?

• No, I thought the trilogy ended perfectly. Pixar should move onto something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never really liked Toy Story.

• Yes, I didn't really grow up with the original trilogy but I would love to see the characters again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Of other movies that need love The Black Cauldron and the package movies from the 40s. What is this "Dinosaur" you speak of?
This
It's just super forgettable in my opinion.

The package films also need more love...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
This
It's just super forgettable in my opinion.

The package films also need more love...
And that's why Pixar is changing that with their release of The GOOD Dinosaur in 2015. :troll:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Not underestimating Pixar, but dinosaur movies nowadays are bombs at the box office because nobody is interested anymore. Same with cowboy movies. But will this movie be as good as Toy Story and Up? Will be average like Brave? Or it will suck like Cars?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not underestimating Pixar, but dinosaur movies nowadays are bombs at the box office because nobody is interested anymore. Same with cowboy movies. But will this movie be as good as Toy Story and Up? Will be average like Brave? Or it will suck like Cars?
Anything but sucking like Cars. Please.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I doubt it's a real correlation. I'm more worried by the fact that the film went under a lot of changes with directors and story from D23 2013 to now.

I'm still hopeful for the film, nonetheless.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I doubt it's a real correlation. I'm more worried by the fact that the film went under a lot of changes with directors and story from D23 2013 to now.

I'm still hopeful for the film, nonetheless.
It has been in development since 2013?! Well, better than development hell.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Are there any really good Disney channel original movies out there, I heard some of the older ones are decent.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
And Tangled did this, now Frozen does it. Is this some kind of new trend?
Most likely. It only seems to be happening to the Princess films. Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph don't have any shorts planned.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Gargoyles was amazing, and needs some more love.
This. Gargoyles, House of Mouse, Aladdin (TV Series), Goof Troop, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (no bias at all guiz...) were among my favorite Disney cartoons. It's a shame they are forgotten now, especially Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and it's introduction of Buzz's lore.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Edit, here's that "leaked" picture of Bing Bong. The same company is also manufacturing toys for The Good Dinosaur. The figure gives us a decent image of what the character is supposed to look like.

And this article I found on Stitch Kingdom calls him a "key character". http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-first-look-inside-out-pixar-bing-bong-74021/

The only "theory" I can think of is that he's a potential villain who wants Riley's imagination to control her mind or something similar to that. First Lotso, and now (possibly) Bing Bong! Pink = EVIL!
It may just be the fact that I'm viewing this picture for the first time at 10:23 PM when everyone in my house is asleep and all the lights are off, but I am going to have nightmares with this thing in them.

Also, I'm calling BS on the fact that a child could imagine something that unique and detailed.
When I was a young lad, my imaginary friend was a giant Hershey Bar boy, and his Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Package sister who had a crush on me.
I was 5 ok........

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Of other movies that need love The Black Cauldron and the package movies from the 40s.
The Black Cauldron might have some flaws, but it wasn't that bad. It definitely needs some more love, though. For the package films, I know I liked the ones that are spiritual successors to Fantasia. They weren't as good as Fantasia, but they're still alright.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
This. Gargoyles, House of Mouse, Aladdin (TV Series), Goof Troop, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (no bias at all guiz...) were among my favorite Disney cartoons. It's a shame they are forgotten now, especially Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and it's introduction of Buzz's lore.
Hey House of Mouse and Goof Troop were my childhood. They were good.
The Black Cauldron might have some flaws, but it wasn't that bad. It definitely needs some more love, though. For the package films, I know I liked the ones that are spiritual successors to Fantasia. They weren't as good as Fantasia, but they're still alright.
Watched Ichabod and Mr. Toad? That one was the best. Make Mine Music and Melody Time are also great. TBC, while obscure, has a lot of fans, just check my signature.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What, no love for Darkwing Duck?

If anyone deserves entry into Kingdom Hearts as a Disney throwback, it's this guy.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

This is telling me Jack Sparrow x Jack Skellington must be shipped and that Maleficent x Syndrome is canon.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
A couple Pixar movie merchandise below...

The LEGO Wall-E Angus MacLane petitioned for has been approved for sale! You can check out the video here:

He also has the Toy Story of Terror Bunny that still needs support. Since PEZ already released the Pez Cat, this doesn't seem like an uncanny choice for a toy. Here's the link to the project: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/51936

As for Inside Out, Funko has released the images for their standard and Fabrikations line for the characters. No word yet on Bing Bong...

It might just be me, but Fear looks off in the POP! line.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know how any of you feel about the live action retelling of Maleficent's story in the movie "Maleficent", but I personally hated the way it completely stripped the character of everything many of her fans loved about her (I won't go over that until someone feels it's good enough to debate or something).

So with that said, we know Disney is doing a similar thing to Cinderella's story, though there's no telling how the story will be told. Anyone willing to watch the film despite "Maleficent's" butchering of the titular character? Do you think they should leave classics as they are and not risk ruining them by altering what we know? If they do retcon the story, will you be open for changes?

Personally, I'm only going to watch it for the "Frozen" short film that precedes the movie.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Welcome to our club, welcome to our club...
Of all the Disney releases this year (including the Marvel and Star Wars), I'm not interested in watching Cinderella. I already didn't like Maleficent how they horribly made her into an "anti-hero". Truth be told though, I haven't researched enough on the film to even amke a fair judgment.

Plus, I'll just wait a few months until the Frozen short is released on the web. :p

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't know how any of you feel about the live action retelling of Maleficent's story in the movie "Maleficent", but I personally hated the way it completely stripped the character of everything many of her fans loved about her (I won't go over that until someone feels it's good enough to debate or something).

So with that said, we know Disney is doing a similar thing to Cinderella's story, though there's no telling how the story will be told. Anyone willing to watch the film despite "Maleficent's" butchering of the titular character? Do you think they should leave classics as they are and not risk ruining them by altering what we know? If they do retcon the story, will you be open for changes?

Personally, I'm only going to watch it for the "Frozen" short film that precedes the movie.

Damn, I hated Maleficent. She was completely nerfed. :kirbymelee::nessmelee::ganondorf::4metaknight: bad. I wish Disney stop ruining it's classic fairytales turning them into PG 13 CGI filled dark fantasy movies. If they want to do that so bad, why don't they do Book of Three and Black Cauldron? At the same time, if it's the same people please don't do it. They are already planning to nerf Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book. It's only a matter of time they do Dumbo and Bambi into live action.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Weren't there already plans for a live-action Dumbo? I swear I recall reading that somewhere before just a few months back...I fear how badly they're going to butcher it....

Maleficent was alright at a few parts, but I dislike the later half of it. Her backstory was alright but the thing is they tried ridiculously hard to make her the "tragic villain" to the point where by the end...

....the movie basically tries to play her off as the true heroine. While King Stefan is the true villain and an example of human greed.....when he appeared to be a pretty nice guy in the original. Plus in this film he becomes a lunatic at some point, again, not a trait which he featured at all in the original Sleeping Beauty film. They didn't just try to give Maleficent a few sympathetic qualities, they twisted almost every single major plot point all the way around just to make her the heroine of the tale.

That's just how I feel about it, but I imagine most would agree that the direction they went with her character, at least further on in the film, was just dumb.

Based on trailers I've seen on Cinderella so far though, the movie seems to be sticking much closer to the original story than Maleficent did. The trailers of Maleficent showcased, along with bits of her backstory, interacting with Aurora at several different points, stuff that didn't happen in the original. Cinderalla trailers however mostly seem to be showing stuff that does happen in the original so far, the major difference being that it delves only into her backstory, into her life as a little girl, and as well as seemingly while her father was still alive but remarried, while the stepmother still pretended to care for Cinderella.. Going by this, I don't think they're going to change the storyline and characters nearly as much this time. Even still it is just a trailer, so we'll see.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Weren't there already plans for a live-action Dumbo? I swear I recall reading that somewhere before just a few months back...I fear how badly they're going to butcher it....

Maleficent was alright at a few parts, but I dislike the later half of it. Her backstory was alright but the thing is they tried ridiculously hard to make her the "tragic villain" to the point where by the end...

....the movie basically tries to play her off as the true heroine. While King Stefan is the true villain and an example of human greed.....when he appeared to be a pretty nice guy in the original. Plus in this film he becomes a lunatic at some point, again, not a trait which he featured at all in the original Sleeping Beauty film. They didn't just try to give Maleficent a few sympathetic qualities, they twisted almost every single major plot point all the way around just to make her the heroine of the tale.

That's just how I feel about it, but I imagine most would agree that the direction they went with her character, at least further on in the film, was just dumb.

Based on trailers I've seen on Cinderella so far though, the movie seems to be sticking much closer to the original story than Maleficent did. The trailers of Maleficent showcased, along with bits of her backstory, interacting with Aurora at several different points, stuff that didn't happen in the original. Cinderalla trailers however mostly seem to be showing stuff that does happen in the original so far, the major difference being that it delves only into her backstory, into her life as a little girl, and as well as seemingly while her father was still alive but remarried, while the stepmother still pretended to care for Cinderella.. Going by this, I don't think they're going to change the storyline and characters nearly as much this time. Even still it is just a trailer, so we'll see.
Hold on a minute! THERE ARE PLANS?! WHY NERFING DUMBO!? Flying ELEPHANTS and talking mice work in a cartoon, in LA it doesn't. Why Disney? Why butchering my childhood like George Lucas did with Attack of the Clones?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Haven't seen Maleficent yet, but I already can tell that I'm not gonna like what they did with the characters. Turning Maleficent into more of an tragic villain doesn't do justice for her character. I hate that Disney is remaking some of their animated movies into live-action/CGI garbage. When I heard that they're remaking Beauty and the Beast, I got saddened over it. Time will tell if it ends up being a poor retelling of the original while making Gaston a misunderstood villain.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Haven't seen Maleficent yet, but I already can tell that I'm not gonna like what they did with the characters. Turning Maleficent into more of an tragic villain doesn't do justice for her character. I hate that Disney is remaking some of their animated movies into live-action/CGI garbage. When I heard that they're remaking Beauty and the Beast, I got saddened over it. Time will tell if it ends up being a poor retelling of the original while making Gaston a misunderstood villain.
If they made the Huntsman a main character even though in the original he had only like 2 lines, I don't doubt they are going to turn Gaston into something like Charles Foster Kane that won't work.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll probably get shot for this, but I can equally enjoy remakes as much as the source material some of the time. Maleficent wasn't a bad film to me despite the changes.

Sure, the people who dislike Maleficent's personality swap are perfectly justified, but I like the twist because the original source material still exists and the remake can be ignored if so wished.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'll probably get shot for this, but I can equally enjoy remakes as much as the source material some of the time. Maleficent wasn't a bad film to me despite the changes.

Sure, the people who dislike Maleficent's personality swap are perfectly justified, but I like the twist because the original source material still exists and the remake can be ignored if so wished.
I can respect your decision. To be honest, it could be nostalgia that makes most of us despise certain retellings of films or other media. The most recent Ninja Turtles movie was godawful to me, yet, I loved the original films. I look back on them, and when I put them in perspective, I can see and realize that the other Ninja Turtle films were just as silly and [not quite] over the top as the Michael Bay version. Still, nostalgia makes me love the original films, all the while, kids from this generation love Michael Bay's rendition. You get what I'm trying to say, I'm sure.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I can respect your decision. To be honest, it could be nostalgia that makes most of us despise certain retellings of films or other media. The most recent Ninja Turtles movie was godawful to me, yet, I loved the original films. I look back on them, and when I put them in perspective, I can see and realize that the other Ninja Turtle films were just as silly and [not quite] over the top as the Michael Bay version. Still, nostalgia makes me love the original films, all the while, kids from this generation love Michael Bay's rendition. You get what I'm trying to say, I'm sure.
Of course. It's a matter of what you were shown first and hold dearest to yourself.

Deviating a little to be on the same wavelength; nostalgia makes me prefer the old Transformers cartoons/movie over the new ones. For the former category, TF Animated, TF Armada and TF Prime are fine(though I personally put Prime on the same level as the original 80's cartoon because it's so damn good), but will never hold up to the original because nostalgia. Michael Bay's rendition of the series is tolerable, if mediocre(except Revenge Of The Fallen which is wholly garbage. Age Of Extinction is slightly better but not by much due to that nigh 3 hour run time), which makes me realize that even with a just as silly setting, the old 1986 film is actually more dark than Bay's quartet has ever been, and I can go re-watch that if Bay's films get to the point of intolerance(frequent, considering my older brother holds more fondness to them than the original).

Now back to Disney. I watched both Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent, of course.Sleeping Beauty I hold a high amount of nostalgia towards, and I still remember it fondly. When Maleficent happened, I went knowing that I wasn't in for the same experience(and re-watched Sleeping Beauty to get myself back in perspective), and without comparing it to Sleeping Beauty and the massive changes that occurred in the remaking, it's an okay movie in my eyes.

Like you said, nostalgia is a defining factor in whether we accept or reject the retellings of media. I have nostalgia and can enjoy Maleficent for what it is, but if others dislike it for changing the story we all know and love, I'm fine with that as well.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Now back to Disney. I watched both Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent, of course.Sleeping Beauty I hold a high amount of nostalgia towards, and I still remember it fondly. When Maleficent happened, I went knowing that I wasn't in for the same experience(and re-watched Sleeping Beauty to get myself back in perspective), and without comparing it to Sleeping Beauty and the massive changes that occurred in the remaking, it's an okay movie in my eyes.

Like you said, nostalgia is a defining factor in whether we accept or reject the retellings of media. I have nostalgia and can enjoy Maleficent for what it is, but if others dislike it for changing the story we all know and love, I'm fine with that as well.
The thing with "Maleficent" is that with the exception of Angelina Jolie, who did rather well with what she was given, everyone else was so... devoid of any real emotion or believability (if that's even a word). The king, for example, was just so tired a character, because he plays every cliché we've seen, and not in a good way. I try to keep films in perspective too, but with "Maleficent", I can't look past the godawful performances by the other actors not named Jolie. I still see your point though, don't get me wrong. lol

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The thing with "Maleficent" is that with the exception of Angelina Jolie, who did rather well with what she was given, everyone else was so... devoid of any real emotion or believability (if that's even a word). The king, for example, was just so tired a character, because he plays every cliché we've seen, and not in a good way. I try to keep films in perspective too, but with "Maleficent", I can't look past the godawful performances by the other actors not named Jolie. I still see your point though, don't get me wrong. lol
That I'll give you.

I'll admit that I came close to dozing off in some of the scenes without Maleficent herself in them. Jolie was the true emotion of the movie. Everyone else was about as lively as a dead person.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
That's the thing with this movies, the actors they pick are gimmicks to attract people, instead of doing a good film with good acting, memorable , or faithfulness to the original. SnowWhite and the Huntsman had Kristen Stewart and Thor. Maleficent had Angelina Jolie. And the upcoming Beauty and the Beast will have Hermione Granger.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Disney is releasing more Expanded scores to coincide with the various anniversaries.

The 2015 release schedule for Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection follows:
• Fantasia, January 3, 2015 (75th anniversary)
• Pinocchio, February 3, 2015 (75th anniversary as well)
Toy Story, March 17, 2015 (20th anniversary)
• Disneyland, April 7, 2015(60th anniversary)
• Lady and the Tramp, May 12, 2015 (60th anniversary)
• Pocahontas, June 23, 2015(20th anniversary)
• The Aristocats, August 14, 2015 (45th anniversary)
• Cinderella, August 14, 2015 (65th anniversary)

If you can't tell, this is pretty exciting news especially with Toy Story's 20th Anniversary on the horizon. The other piece of merchandise released was an underwhelming Buzz figure that will include a Woody and Jessie in the line.

It's kind of a wasted opportunity to release the other notable toys like Bo Peep, the Mutant Toys, the original Combat Carl, etc. More might be revealed at the NY Toy Fair.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Disney is releasing more Expanded scores to coincide with the various anniversaries.

The 2015 release schedule for Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection follows:
• Fantasia, January 3, 2015 (75th anniversary)
• Pinocchio, February 3, 2015 (75th anniversary as well)
Toy Story, March 17, 2015 (20th anniversary)
• Disneyland, April 7, 2015(60th anniversary)
• Lady and the Tramp, May 12, 2015 (60th anniversary)
• Pocahontas, June 23, 2015(20th anniversary)
• The Aristocats, August 14, 2015 (45th anniversary)
• Cinderella, August 14, 2015 (65th anniversary)

If you can't tell, this is pretty exciting news especially with Toy Story's 20th Anniversary on the horizon. The other piece of merchandise released was an underwhelming Buzz figure that will include a Woody and Jessie in the line.

It's kind of a wasted opportunity to release the other notable toys like Bo Peep, the Mutant Toys, the original Combat Carl, etc. More might be revealed at the NY Toy Fair.
Honestly I saw this one coming. They milk Buzz like there is no tomorrow. We better have Totoro from Toy Story 3.

Top Bottom