• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Disney Discussion

Are you excited for Toy Story 4?

• No, I thought the trilogy ended perfectly. Pixar should move onto something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never really liked Toy Story.

• Yes, I didn't really grow up with the original trilogy but I would love to see the characters again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a lot to take in....wowsa.

Gonna get them with power Disc pack and see what I can do with it.
I should also clarify, the Pack is sold separately from the figures. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
GUESS WHAT CAME IN

Watch till the end. Trust me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More Disney Infinity leaks, guys!

First and foremost, the recent update accidentally included the data for the Through the Looking Glass characters, fully confirming Live Action Alice, Mad Hatter, and Time. As well, Time also has a playable Boss Battle. However, it looks that this is not a playset, meaning the Disney playset is still unknown.

As well, we also got Dory's figure leaked from the back of a mac and cheese box of all things as well as confirmation of a Finding Dory playset as the 2016 Pixar playset.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
More Disney Infinity leaks, guys!

First and foremost, the recent update accidentally included the data for the Through the Looking Glass characters, fully confirming Live Action Alice, Mad Hatter, and Time. As well, Time also has a playable Boss Battle. However, it looks that this is not a playset, meaning the Disney playset is still unknown.

As well, we also got Dory's figure leaked from the back of a mac and cheese box of all things as well as confirmation of a Finding Dory playset as the 2016 Pixar playset.
You beat me to it. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!:troll:
Anyway do we know if its just Dory for the playset? Also this makes 5 characters on the ballot that became characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You beat me to it. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!:troll:
Anyway do we know if its just Dory for the playset? Also this makes 5 characters on the ballot that became characters.
There's likely gonna be other characters. I'm personally banking on Marlin and Hank the octopus at the least.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
There's likely gonna be other characters. I'm personally banking on Marlin and Hank the octopus at the least.
We don't currently know how big a role they'll play in the film. I'm honestly not so sure if we'll get more Nemo characters, but its still to early to call. Also what are your thoughts on these characters in terms of 3.0?

Darkwing Duck
Mabel
Kim Possible
Goofy
BB8
Moana
Deadpool
General Grievous

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
We don't currently know how big a role they'll play in the film. I'm honestly not so sure if we'll get more Nemo characters, but its still to early to call. Also what are your thoughts on these characters in terms of 3.0?

Darkwing Duck
Mabel
Kim Possible
Goofy
BB8
Moana
Deadpool
General Grievous
1. HECK yeah!
2. Yeah, I'd like to see her.
3. Yes, one of my most wanted.
4. Same as above, one of my most wanted.
5. Nah. He's better as a special.
6. Sure, to commemorate and promote the film when it's released.
7. Hard to say. Honestly, I'd LOVE to see him, but the movie Deadpool wasn't made or endorsed by Disney, and plus it's rated R. It wouldn't surprise me if he's included as a figure, but I honestly don't see it.
8. Never considered him, but since you mentioned it, I'd like that to happen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Darkwing Duck
Mabel
Kim Possible
Goofy
BB8
Moana
Deadpool
General Grievous
As far as likelihood is concerned:

Darkwing Duck is possible if and only if he wins that fan poll. Otherwise, maybe 4.0.

Mabel (and Dipper by extension) will get in if Mabel wins the fan poll, but they actually have pretty good odds regardless, I think.

Kim Possible is a possibility (heh) due to Romano and Vignocchi appearing in those tweets together, but we'll see. The updates Hall of Heroes doesn't have too many spaces let, after all.

Goofy I feel is a huge contender this go around due to 3.0's extended lifespan. I'm not sure they'd wait so long until 4.0 without giving us Goofy beforehand. I think he's the second most likely unannounced Disney Original that isn't a Finding Dory character.

BB8 won't happen, according to Word of God. JV confirmed that the droids would be too gameplay divergent from the rest of the Star Wars cast to warrant playability, so he's a special move like R2.

Moana's the only character whose likelihood trumps Goofy's. Shoo in, alongside Maui.

Deadpool won't happen due to the team's stance on Daredevil: the content's too adult.

Grievous is, I feel, the single most likely non-Rogue One Star Wars addition, alongside Emperor Palpatine.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
As far as likelihood is concerned:

Darkwing Duck is possible if and only if he wins that fan poll. Otherwise, maybe 4.0.

Mabel (and Dipper by extension) will get in if Mabel wins the fan poll, but they actually have pretty good odds regardless, I think.

Kim Possible is a possibility (heh) due to Romano and Vignocchi appearing in those tweets together, but we'll see. The updates Hall of Heroes doesn't have too many spaces let, after all.

Goofy I feel is a huge contender this go around due to 3.0's extended lifespan. I'm not sure they'd wait so long until 4.0 without giving us Goofy beforehand. I think he's the second most likely unannounced Disney Original that isn't a Finding Dory character.

BB8 won't happen, according to Word of God. JV confirmed that the droids would be too gameplay divergent from the rest of the Star Wars cast to warrant playability, so he's a special move like R2.

Moana's the only character whose likelihood trumps Goofy's. Shoo in, alongside Maui.

Deadpool won't happen due to the team's stance on Daredevil: the content's too adult.

Grievous is, I feel, the single most likely non-Rogue One Star Wars addition, alongside Emperor Palpatine.
Yeah I 100% agree with this. I also found this interesting video regarding DW and BB8.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah I 100% agree with this. I also found this interesting video regarding DW and BB8.
Nice video! I must've missed that part of the interview, but it basically confirms what I thought about Darkwing: it'd be entirely up to overwhelming fan demand. Honestly if he doesn't make the cut this time, I can see him as a 4.0 headliner.

The BB-8 stuff is definitely interesting though, since he's expanded upon it. Before, it was just him saying they couldn't make him work, but this is the first time he's said he's actively looking into ways to make him work. I still wouldn't predict him this time around, but sometime down the line I wouldn't be surprised. I think they'd make quadrupeds work first though. In other words, I wouldn't expect BB-8 until we see Simba. :p

As well, I think it's important to realize how the player choice poll character works...it's only going to be one character (unless it's Mabel, since they confirmed over Twitter that a Mabel vote is also a Dipper vote). They plan on doing another poll for Marvel and Star Wars, and the winners of all three polls will then be put on another poll to determine the one character that'll make it in. As such, the winner of the Disney poll still may not make it in.

The other thing is that JV has specified that the Disney playset is for Disney animation. As in, Through the Looking Glass likely isn't a playset, as it's not Disney animation. So around three of these characters will be from that.

That being said, here are my predictions for the remainder of the Hall of Heroes, in addition to the six we know of (Alice, Mad Hatter, Time, Baloo, Dory, Peter Pan) :

• Marlin
  • Hank
This is where I'd point out the fact that Nemo's not on here. Even as far as the first film went, Marlin was the main character, not Nemo. From the brief scenes we've seen of the trailer, as well, Nemo seems to be taking more and more of a back seat. Hank is here as a new movie character. And hey, he could be used as a basis for Ursula somewhere down the line.
  • This leaves five spots left, not including the potential for a player choice. Three of these will be the Disney Animation playset, while the other two are toy box characters, more than likely. From this, I see three possibilities:

• The animation playset is Moana, with Moana, Maui, and a third character. The toybox characters are Dipper and Mabel.

• The animation playset is Gravity Falls, with Dipper, Mabel, and Grunkle Stan. The toybox characters are Moana and Maui.
OR

• The Disney Animation playset is classic Beauty and the Beast as an early bird promotion for the live action film, with Belle, Beast, and Gaston, with Moana and Maui as toybox characters. This would mean Dipper and Mabel would rely on the Players' Choice (as they said over twitter that a vote for Mabel is also a vote for Dipper).

• In the event that one of the playsets only has two characters, leaving an extra space, I'd say Goofy would work. I know it's generally one big classic character per version, but with 3.0's extended lifespan, there's a chance they moved Goofy up so he'd still come in 2016.
I'll also say that the Players' Choice won't factor into this, as they don't know which Hall of Heroes it'll belong in. So in that case, another spot may be added to either Disney, Star Wars, OR Marvel.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Nice video! I must've missed that part of the interview, but it basically confirms what I thought about Darkwing: it'd be entirely up to overwhelming fan demand. Honestly if he doesn't make the cut this time, I can see him as a 4.0 headliner.

The BB-8 stuff is definitely interesting though, since he's expanded upon it. Before, it was just him saying they couldn't make him work, but this is the first time he's said he's actively looking into ways to make him work. I still wouldn't predict him this time around, but sometime down the line I wouldn't be surprised. I think they'd make quadrupeds work first though. In other words, I wouldn't expect BB-8 until we see Simba. :p

As well, I think it's important to realize how the player choice poll character works...it's only going to be one character (unless it's Mabel, since they confirmed over Twitter that a Mabel vote is also a Dipper vote). They plan on doing another poll for Marvel and Star Wars, and the winners of all three polls will then be put on another poll to determine the one character that'll make it in. As such, the winner of the Disney poll still may not make it in.

The other thing is that JV has specified that the Disney playset is for Disney animation. As in, Through the Looking Glass likely isn't a playset, as it's not Disney animation. So around three of these characters will be from that.

That being said, here are my predictions for the remainder of the Hall of Heroes, in addition to the six we know of (Alice, Mad Hatter, Time, Baloo, Dory, Peter Pan) :

• Marlin
  • Hank
This is where I'd point out the fact that Nemo's not on here. Even as far as the first film went, Marlin was the main character, not Nemo. From the brief scenes we've seen of the trailer, as well, Nemo seems to be taking more and more of a back seat. Hank is here as a new movie character. And hey, he could be used as a basis for Ursula somewhere down the line.
  • This leaves five spots left, not including the potential for a player choice. Three of these will be the Disney Animation playset, while the other two are toy box characters, more than likely. From this, I see three possibilities:

• The animation playset is Moana, with Moana, Maui, and a third character. The toybox characters are Dipper and Mabel.

• The animation playset is Gravity Falls, with Dipper, Mabel, and Grunkle Stan. The toybox characters are Moana and Maui.
OR

• The Disney Animation playset is classic Beauty and the Beast as an early bird promotion for the live action film, with Belle, Beast, and Gaston, with Moana and Maui as toybox characters. This would mean Dipper and Mabel would rely on the Players' Choice (as they said over twitter that a vote for Mabel is also a vote for Dipper).

• In the event that one of the playsets only has two characters, leaving an extra space, I'd say Goofy would work. I know it's generally one big classic character per version, but with 3.0's extended lifespan, there's a chance they moved Goofy up so he'd still come in 2016.
I'll also say that the Players' Choice won't factor into this, as they don't know which Hall of Heroes it'll belong in. So in that case, another spot may be added to either Disney, Star Wars, OR Marvel.
I didn't catch that part about Disney animation, I just thought TTLG would be the playset. I'm also wondering if Dory will be used as a test for Fish/Quadrupeds.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

Darkwing Duck
Mabel
Kim Possible
Goofy
BB8
Moana
Deadpool
General Grievous
Darkwing Duck is long overdue, plus DuckTales and his show are getting reboots next year (if he doesn't nab 1 of the final 3 spots, he'll headline 4.0 alongside the remaining BH6 members (as they too are getting a TV series set to air next year which acts as a sequel to the hit film).
A vote Mabel gets also goes towards Dipper too.
Kim will likely headline 4.0 as would Goofy.
BB8 is very likely after what JV said about his stance on droids, him and R2 are shoo-ins for 4.0.
Moana's chances skyrocketed with 3.0 being extended, she's pretty much getting 1 of the 3 final spots either by herself or with Maui.
Deadpool, nope due to him being under Fox's license, same with Wolverine and the FF4 (I'd love a FF4 playset that also allows the Incredibles to cross over into and back, due to their similar powers).
Wouldn't be shocked if Grievous turned out to be 1 of the final 5 Star Wars figures, after the update to the Rebels figures hinting to them getting a playset (likely to promote Season 3), which means we're likely getting Hera and possibly another Ahsoka figure (with her Rebels look).

So pretty much no Rouge One playset (always knew Star Wars spin-off films wouldn't count, but I can at least see the main character from that as a figure.)

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Just saw Zootopia, and gotta say it turned out better than I've anticipated. I plan to see it again this coming Sunday with my girlfriend. What did the rest of you guys think?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Just saw Zootopia, and gotta say it turned out better than I've anticipated. I plan to see it again this coming Sunday with my girlfriend. What did the rest of you guys think?
I liked Zootopia. It wasn't the best of disney movies for sure, but it was good.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Howdy, y'all, long time no see.

It appears that we're getting a further look at the new cast for Finding Dory releasing later this year. With the wide variety of mammals, I am interested in how Dory will interact with these animals as the film progresses. Fingers crossed that Stanton will deliver a sequel that surpasses the 2003 original.

You can check out the new CGs here.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those otters are adorable, dammit.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Those otters are adorable, dammit.
Agreed, they look adorable and look to be the sleeper guys of the film.

Also it seems we have our possible 1st confirmed actor for the Incredibles II as Holly Hunter spilled the beans that she would in fact be reprising her role in the 2nd film no thanks to Collider getting an interview with her as seen here: http://collider.com/holly-hunter-batman-v-superman-the-incredibles-2-interview/, it also may or may not confirm whether or not Craig T. Nelson or Sarah Vowell are on board or not, but Hunter says that it's getting closer and that they could be called in for filming at any given point (meaning Bird is finished with the script).

It also indirectly confirms Kristen Bell will be reprising her role as Anna as filming for Frozen 2 is expected to start next month (likely later this month/early May).

And it seems, we got Fire Emblemed by the Fool again, last year it was Shaq (that was nightmarish), now we got Marthed by every single major FE character.

And I have no clue which FE character I am for the day?

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
And it seems, we got Fire Emblemed by the Fool again, last year it was Shaq (that was nightmarish), now we got Marthed by every single major FE character. And I have no clue which FE character I am for the day?
Lucia from FE Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn

Speaking of Disney, Shigure's natural talent for singing makes him our Disney Princess in the form of a FE character.

We are the oceans gray waves, indeed.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Lucia from FE Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn

Speaking of Disney, Shigure's natural talent for singing makes him our Disney Princess in the form of a FE character.

We are the oceans gray waves, indeed.
Lucia for Smash Bros 5, please.

You can never go wrong with too many Fire Emblem reps.

And it seems in the new Rebels season, we might have a Darth Ezra, sounds like a evil Ezra variant is coming for Disney Infinity 3.0.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So Bill Rosemann, Marvel Creative Director, announced over Twitter that he's going to announce a new Marvel DI figure at the end of a new Toy Box TV episode (probably one of the next three, I'd think. Not sure how far in advance they film them). Considering I've basically become convinced that Scarlet Witch is impossible due to Fox BS, it's either gonna be Thanos or Bucky. Bucky to tie into Civil War, and Thanos because of the tease at the end of Battlegrounds. I'd say Doctor Strange as well, but they'll likely wait longer before announcing him. Either way I feel those three are locks for 3.0, as well as either Captain Marvel or Wasp, considering it's been confirmed there's an unannounced Marvel female character.

Predictions?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
So Bill Rosemann, Marvel Creative Director, announced over Twitter that he's going to announce a new Marvel DI figure at the end of a new Toy Box TV episode (probably one of the next three, I'd think. Not sure how far in advance they film them). Considering I've basically become convinced that Scarlet Witch is impossible due to Fox BS, it's either gonna be Thanos or Bucky. Bucky to tie into Civil War, and Thanos because of the tease at the end of Battlegrounds. I'd say Doctor Strange as well, but they'll likely wait longer before announcing him. Either way I feel those three are locks for 3.0, as well as either Captain Marvel or Wasp, considering it's been confirmed there's an unannounced Marvel female character.

Predictions?
Might be Dr. Strange.

Speaking of which, the first trailer for Dr. Strange will drop on the 12th. I'm hyped as all get out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Might be Dr. Strange.

Speaking of which, the first trailer for Dr. Strange will drop on the 12th. I'm hyped as all get out.
I just figured (pun not intended :p) that they'd reveal him closer to the release date, though with the trailer coming in six days, it's a definite possibility. Though if they announce a second Marvel wave instead of a character, he'd be a shoo in for that. I do think he's a shoo in for 3.0 in general though. :p

That being said I'm also incredibly hyped for Doctor Strange. :D

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

Predictions?
Thanos, Bucky and Dr. Strange all have good shots to get in at this point and are safe picks to get 1 of those spots.

I'm going to say the female rep, is likely to be Captain Marvel or Wasp (but since Ant-Man's sequel's not out until 2017 next year and Marvel's the following year (or did it get moved?) I'm going to bet Wasp will get that spot.

In before reps turns out to be War Machine (Iron Patriot) and Female Thor:awesome:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanos, Bucky and Dr. Strange all have good shots to get in at this point and are safe picks to get 1 of those spots.

I'm going to say the female rep, is likely to be Captain Marvel or Wasp (but since Ant-Man's sequel's not out until 2017 next year and Marvel's the following year (or did it get moved?) I'm going to bet Wasp will get that spot.

In before reps turns out to be War Machine (Iron Patriot) and Female Thor:awesome:
The thing is, for all intents and purposes I thought they'd save Thanos for Infinity War. Since the teaser at the end of Battlegrounds implied sooner rather than later, I don't see why they can't make Wasp or Captain Marvel playable, especially since they already have NPC game models. :p Though they'd likely need to alter Wasp a bit if they wanted to keep her in line with MCU-inspired Ant-Man.

Including changing the character from Janet to Hope.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
The thing is, for all intents and purposes I thought they'd save Thanos for Infinity War. Since the teaser at the end of Battlegrounds implied sooner rather than later, I don't see why they can't make Wasp or Captain Marvel playable, especially since they already have NPC game models. :p Though they'd likely need to alter Wasp a bit if they wanted to keep her in line with MCU-inspired Ant-Man.

Including changing the character from Janet to Hope.
True, I can see that, maybe she'll get a costume disc that turns her into her 2.0 counterpart.

Also it seems the Incredibles II is heading in a more Finding Dory-like direction http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-incredibles-2-will-deliver-on-the-promise-of-the-fi-1769637810 http://moviepilot.com/posts/3860170, only problem is they never confirmed nor deny whether or not we're getting a timeskip, but the odds are likely it's picking up right where the 1st film ended and Disney/Pixar knows that Violet and Dash aren't ready to be leading characters just yet, especially when it's just their 1st sequel, they need a good setup that makes them evolve into those leading roles and picking up right where the 1st film ended is a good starting point.

Take them with a grain of salt for now, but I find these to be far more legit and credible than the Jack-Jack rumors which takes them 6 years later with the parents officially retiring (I can see Helen maybe retiring a 2nd time, but not Bob, plus that story would wreck their development they got in the 1st film), them picking up where the 1st film ended is definitely something Disney/Pixar would do.

The only major hurdle is that: is Raymond Ochoa reprising his role as Dash from the recent video games (Disney Infinity series), or are they going to recast Dash for a 3rd time? Seeing as Ochoa is hitting his teen years, his voice might be too deep to come back, but after what we saw as him voicing Arlo in The Good Dinosaur last year, he's a safe pick to return, it's pretty obvious that the other 3 family members are coming back as well (especially after Holly Hunter indirectly confirmed she would be returning to the sequel a few days ago).

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

HOLY CRAP.
THE DR. STRANGE TRAILER HAS DROPPED.
IT'S AWESOME.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

HOLY CRAP.
THE DR. STRANGE TRAILER HAS DROPPED.
IT'S AWESOME.
Saw it last night and was instantly hyped beyond belief. I'm glad you got to be the first one on the thread to post about it. :p I remember how much you were hyped, haha.

EDIT: ALSO.

Today a new international trailer (Japanese this time) for Finding Dory came out! It reveals quite a bit.

As well, an Amazon Italy leak seems to show the Finding Dory playset and a single figure for Nemo! Unless they go back to the old method of two characters per playset (unlike what they did for Battlegrounds), it's quite possible Dory and Nemo are the only ones playable in the playset.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Haven't been here in less than a month...

New Finding Dory TV Spots!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Posted this in the NintenZone, but I figured I'd share this here. A little something I wrote up about the Disney Infinity situation.

The news of Disney Infinity's sudden cancellation struck today. Midway through the game's third iteration, this news broke and left the fanbase heartbroken. This announcement came just two months after Disney Infinity released its latest expansion, the Marvel Battlegrounds playset and related characters, and the standalone Baloo figure. It has been confirmed that the final characters to be produced will be Alice, Mad Hatter, and Time from Tim Burton's Through the Looking Glass, and a Finding Dory playset, which has Dory packaged with the playset. Nemo is also getting his own standalone figure compatible with the playset. After that, no more additional content will be produced for Disney Infinity. June is its expiration date.

While it was sudden and upsetting for me and the rest of the fans, I can only imagine how it feels to those who have worked on the game for so long, as they're now out of a job come June. Avalanche Software employs 300 people on its own, and that isn't factoring in other people who held positions on Disney Infinity's staff, such as the marketing team, the production managers, and the community managers. The two sort of figureheads for the game included John Vignocchi, the VP of Production under John Blackburn, and Allison Petrek, the Lead Community Manager. For fans of Disney Infinity, these two were like Reggie or Bill for the audience, with the weekly Toy Box TV episodes being almost like mini Nintendo Directs. Were they scripted commercials made to sell toys and a video game? Yes. But hey, we loved them. They established a sort of connection between the production crew and the fans.

And the team genuinely cared back. It wasn't just some act they put on; they legitimately loved what they did, and always were eager to do community events and other such things. This game was basically JV's baby, and he loved every second of the experience. And to make matters worse, Allison Petrek is pregnant with her first actual baby, and now she's going to be unemployed as well. I can't express how sorry I feel for everyone who's now out of a job. I do find solace, though, in what one ex-team member said. This was posted on disneyinfinityfans.com, a fan forum I frequent, by an ex-staff member.

First off let me say that Disney is treating us well. As with many layoffs we are getting severance pay, but they are going the extra mile to give us time to cope with changes. We'll be allowed time and access to our assets so that we can update our portfolios. They're also providing counseling for resume-building and job-hunting. While it may seem like we're being blind-sided, there is no kind or gradual way to tell a group that their job is going away. What Disney is doing is as close to that as possible though, and when I compare it to past layoff stories from my coworkers, I feel that this situation is rather kind.
So in all I'm glad that at least Disney's assisting them with the layoffs as opposed to leaving them on their own. Small victories, I suppose.

Beyond that though, from a consumer and production standpoint, this announcement came at the worst possible time: midway through the production of 3.0. The team had content planned until the end of 2016 for 3.0 before moving on to 4.0. They had just recently said they not only plan on continuing 3.0 through the aforementioned timespan, but also that there were additional playsets (one for Star Wars, which was assumed to be Rogue One, and one for Disney Animation, which was thought to be Moana), at least six more Disney characters given the empty slots in the Hall of Heroes, and more additional Marvel characters (at least one unannounced female character and Thanos, with Doctor Strange being likely as well).

Disappointingly for a lot of people, one figure that was announced will actually never be made now: Peter Pan, the winner of the Toy Box Artists' Choice contest last summer. He was supposed to enter production around now and be released in late August, but now that the game is ceasing production in June, he'll never be in Infinity.

Me personally? I'm lucky in the sense that most of the characters I really wanted are in the game already. And really, there were only six characters that I actively wanted to be added to the game, and among them, I at least wasn't as disappointed about them when I heard the end-of-production news. Those four had the chance of not happening. Quasimodo's more obscure than most of the roster and lacks a sort of relevancy needed to stand a good shot at being made. Dipper Pines? Gravity Falls ended, so they may not want to push the series with figures. Beast? There was always the chance of them doing the live-action version instead, which I wouldn't have wanted. Scarlet Witch? The complicated licensing issue with Fox may have stopped her from getting in anyway, like it did in Marvel Future Fight.

The ones I'm more upset about are the ones that I, and everyone else, saw as inevitable that now won't be coming to fruition. In addition to the confirmed-for-production-but-will-never-be-made Peter Pan, two other characters fell into this for me: Doctor Strange and Goofy. My collection will forever just feel...off now, due to this. They were just incredibly integral characters that were among my favorites, and it's telling that I'm actually more upset at not getting them than I am at not getting my actual favorite, Quasimodo. These two are the tragic victims of timing. Doctor Strange was a lock for release this fall when his film is set to come out. Goofy was a shoo-in for 4.0, given that the team added one of the big classic characters per version (Mickey in 1.0, Donald in 2.0, Minnie in 3.0), and had they been told earlier, I fully believe that Goofy, at the very least, would have entered last-minute production. He even had concept art in the game.

So, now that that's out of the way, what caused this? Now we're getting into my own view of the situation, based on what's been said and recent trends that have been seen. Disney Infinity is, in essence, a victim of its own success. According to a statement from Bob Iger, Disney Infinity started out as, more or less, an experiment. At the time, the concept of a toys-to-life game was virtually unheard of, and in general untested waters. The only other one on the market at the time was Skylanders. Their idea was a solid one: jump on the bandwagon and use the company's vast amount of IP to drive sales.

Disney Infinity's first iteration sold very well, and gave the team confidence to create a second version, 2.0. This time, they'd introduce Marvel's superheroes to the game as a big selling point, as well as fan-favorite Disney characters like Aladdin, Donald, and Stitch. However, the team over-anticipated the demand. They produced way too many starter packs and figures, leading to the 2.0 starter packs, marked at seventy dollars MSRP, selling for fifteen on a regular basis. Stores still have an overstock today. The suits start to get a bit worried. Needless to say, their ace in the hole was seen as Star Wars, the last major pillar yet to be explored. However...it just wasn't enough.

Many, myself included, attribute this entirely to market saturation. During 1.0, toys-to-life games were still a novel idea, and one that hadn't been attempted with pre-existing IP (minus Spyro and Cynder being in Skylanders, the rest were original characters). As such, Disney had a definitive niche. Then came amiibo and, later, Lego Dimensions, which took the concept of toys-to-life mixed with well-known IP even further. There were now four different toys-to-life brands on the market all competing for consumers' wallets and, importantly, shelf space. Many Disney Infinity figures had to be sold at clearance aisle-level prices due to the sheer amount of overstock.

Eventually, I guess, the problem just got too great. It just came at such a surprise, since Disney Infinity was actually the best-selling toys-to-life game in 2015. I always expected it to end eventually, but I thought they'd at least get to 4.0 or 5.0 before it happened. And really, the only thing I can attribute it to is market burnout. Disney Infinity got really expensive. At the end of this, there will be 104 figures in total, and that's not even getting to the Light FX Star Wars variants or the 1.0 crystal variants, or the power discs. Add in weekly mini-Direct equivalents and actually really high figure quality, and it had a massive production value. According to those who worked for the company on the game, this came as a huge surprise, since they recently had 4.0 budgeted as a priority for next year. To have it end so suddenly just blindsided a ton of people.

That being said, I don't regret a second of my time spent on playing the game. Hell, there are still a few things I plan on picking up for it, namely the Marvel Battlegrounds playset, and the Elsa and Stitch figures, in addition to some more Marvel figures to bolster the Battlegrounds roster. Plus, I'll likely pick up the Finding Dory playset as a final sendoff. As a huge fan of all things Disney, I loved the game. It was a loveletter to the company and its fans. And amusingly enough? It was the game that came the closest to recreating the joy of a Disney Park in video game form. It was the only game that made it possible to have Baloo throw Lew Zealand's Boomerang Fish at Captain America while riding on Bullseye and getting chased by Stormtroopers. And what's not to love about that?

Plus, I mean, the figures still make great little statuettes of the characters when not in play. And hey, 3.0's still going to exist, so I can still make and share things up until the servers shut down. At that point I can still make things in the game for my own enjoyment, just without sharing them.

So in essence, consider this my send off to Disney Infinity. It served as a fantastic game and creation tool, and man am I sad it's all going to be over come June. Take care, DI. You took us to Infinity, but now it's time to go Beyond.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's been confirmed the last two playsets were supposed to be Rogue One and Moana. Glad I got that right at least. :p

Here was some of the stuff planned for Disney Infinity 4.0 and beyond:
- Thor Ragnarok playset
- GotG Volume 2 playset
- Pirates 5 playset
- Cars 3 playset
- Star Wars VIII playset

I'd have liked to see all of those bar Cars, too...

Also, some additional things that were planned were a Toy Box story mode mixing all the properties, select 12 inch special figures for Elsa, Buzz Lightyear, Darth Vader, Hulkbuster, Lightning McQueen, Jack Skellington, and a few others.

Additionally, some tidbits from someone I knew from another site who worked on the game:

- The Tie Fighter and X-Wing were originally going to be in 2.0, but were saved for 3.0. The data's still on the disc.
- Maleficent had a costume change disc at one point. Whether this was for her classic look is unknown.
- Data for a Poison Apple (Snow White) weapon and a Heffalump mount are on the 2.0 disc.
- The room under the Disney Original Hall of Heroes from 2.0 (the one with the Genie Lamp) and had a locked door that seemingly led to nothing? Originally, it was going to lead to another new weapon, but was scrapped for time, presumably. The weapon in question? Jafar's Staff. The data is still on the disc.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It's been confirmed the last two playsets were supposed to be Rogue One and Moana. Glad I got that right at least. :p

Here was some of the stuff planned for Disney Infinity 4.0 and beyond:
- Thor Ragnarok playset
- GotG Volume 2 playset
- Pirates 5 playset
- Cars 3 playset
- Star Wars VIII playset

I'd have liked to see all of those bar Cars, too...

Also, some additional things that were planned were a Toy Box story mode mixing all the properties, select 12 inch special figures for Elsa, Buzz Lightyear, Darth Vader, Hulkbuster, Lightning McQueen, Jack Skellington, and a few others.

Additionally, some tidbits from someone I knew from another site who worked on the game:

- The Tie Fighter and X-Wing were originally going to be in 2.0, but were saved for 3.0. The data's still on the disc.
- Maleficent had a costume change disc at one point. Whether this was for her classic look is unknown.
- Data for a Poison Apple (Snow White) weapon and a Heffalump mount are on the 2.0 disc.
- The room under the Disney Original Hall of Heroes from 2.0 (the one with the Genie Lamp) and had a locked door that seemingly led to nothing? Originally, it was going to lead to another new weapon, but was scrapped for time, presumably. The weapon in question? Jafar's Staff. The data is still on the disc.
This reminds me of the cancellation of Clone Wars. All this cool stuff was planned, (Darth Maul vs Dooku, Grievous and Sideous) but thanks to Disney it had to be canned.

On a different note, what 5 new worlds do you want to see in KH3?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This reminds me of the cancellation of Clone Wars. All this cool stuff was planned, (Darth Maul vs Dooku, Grievous and Sideous) but thanks to Disney it had to be canned.

On a different note, what 5 new worlds do you want to see in KH3?
Five new worlds? Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, The Jungle Book, Toy Story, and a Marvel world.
Honorable mention for number six? Star Wars. :p

And also bring back La Cité des Cloches. I need more Hunchback with an actual Frollo boss fight. :p

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Five new worlds? Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, The Jungle Book, Toy Story, and a Marvel world.
Honorable mention for number six? Star Wars. :p

And also bring back La Cité des Cloches. I need more Hunchback with an actual Frollo boss fight. :p
I thought Frozen was already confirmed? Anyway I agree with most of those worlds.

Here are my first 3,

1. Atlantis the lost empire: Really good movie and would work perfectly in KH.
Plus Rourke kinda looks like a heartless when he's turned into a crystal monster so, boss fight right there.

2. Treasure Planet
Also a good movie, would be a fun world to visit.

3. Princess and the frog.
It needs to be in.

The next 2 I will discuss tomorrow as 1. I'm tired, and 2 they're the more unpopular picks.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I thought Frozen was already confirmed? Anyway I agree with most of those worlds.

Here are my first 3,

1. Atlantis the lost empire: Really good movie and would work perfectly in KH.
Plus Rourke kinda looks like a heartless when he's turned into a crystal monster so, boss fight right there.

2. Treasure Planet
Also a good movie, would be a fun world to visit.

3. Princess and the frog.
It needs to be in.

The next 2 I will discuss tomorrow as 1. I'm tired, and 2 they're the more unpopular picks.
To my knowledge a Frozen world hasn't been confirmed yet.

And I'd love all three of those ideas! Atlantis and Treasure Planet are criminally underrated, and TPATF's take on New Orleans would be a really interesting locale for the series to explore.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
To my knowledge a Frozen world hasn't been confirmed yet.

And I'd love all three of those ideas! Atlantis and Treasure Planet are criminally underrated, and TPATF's take on New Orleans would be a really interesting locale for the series to explore.
I would also love a Bug's life world as that would be really cool.

Anyway here's a new topic, suppose on top of these suggestions, they decide to add 3 worlds based off Disney animated tv series. If they do this,
1. How would you feel about this?

2. What shows would you want?

3. How should they be represented? Should it be an episode arc from the series, original plot, or movie based off the series?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So in an interview, it was confirmed that the mystery Marvel female character that was going to be added to Disney Infinity was...

Spider-Gwen. RIP :(

Top Bottom