• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Disney Discussion

Are you excited for Toy Story 4?

• No, I thought the trilogy ended perfectly. Pixar should move onto something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never really liked Toy Story.

• Yes, I didn't really grow up with the original trilogy but I would love to see the characters again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Just as planned, I saw Inside Out early. I want a Sadness plush right now.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I would say I'm jealous but I'm going to see the film in the afternoon.

I'll write a review about my thoughts on both Inside Out and Lava.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
All the Sadness Plush are already sold out on Disney Store Online. The other emotion plush are not sold out as of this post. People have good taste, I see. Maybe I will have luck at a brick and mortar Disney Store.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
My local DS has a bunch of Bing Bong plushes yet the website lists them as "sold out".

It must be the cotton candy scent. :p

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I would say I'm jealous but I'm going to see the film in the afternoon.

I'll write a review about my thoughts on both Inside Out and Lava.
Advanatage of seeing it early, less chance of accidental spoiling. Disadvanatge is not having anyone to talk about. I really regret looking at the Inside Out tag on Tumblr out of my desire to see discussion on it.

My local DS has a bunch of Bing Bong plushes yet the website lists them as "sold out".

It must be the cotton candy scent. :p
That's reassuring.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I feel Inside Out is my definite favorite of the Pixar movies. I mean I like the well regarded Pixar movies but never was attached to them as with this one. I used to love Monster's Inc as much put people pointing out its flaws over the years diminished my love for it (I still like it though).

Also I am happy Pixar made a female protagonist that is not a princess. I'm okay with the princess franchise but I really don't feel a connection to them as I would with non-princess characters or even princess characters that are royalty but not part of the princess lineup (as in being a princess is not part of their primary identity, e.g. Nala)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Just got back from watching Inside Out. I'll write a review for both Lava and Inside Out soon.

Now I NEED that Bing Bong plush.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Out of curiosity, what were your thoughts? Did it meet your expectations? Is it one of the best Pixar films you've seen?
I'm halfway done with my (wordy) review. I also wrote some impressions about Lava as well.

I think my revised Pixar film list might give you an impression of some of my thoughts:
1. Toy Story 2
2. Toy Story
3. The Incredibles
4. Toy Story 3 & Inside Out
6. Up
7. Wall-E
8. Ratatouille
9. Monsters, Inc.
10. Finding Nemo
11. A Bug's Life
12. Monster's University
13. Brave
14. Cars
15. Cars 2

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
My sis got me a Sadness plush yesterday from a physical Disney Store. I plan to make a write-up soon about why Sadness is my favorite character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gaaaaaah why do I have to be sick when I could be seeing this movie.

I swear, once I'm un-sick...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
My impressions of both Lava and Inside Out. Sorry it took so long.

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to see Inside Out in theaters. After a complete year without a Pixar film, the “Pixar drought” is over. Ever since it was announced at D23 in 2013, Inside Out has been my most anticipated film of the summer and I was excited that I finally went out to see it. Before I dive into a mini review of Lava, I will say that this will contain a lot of plot spoilers.

Lava:

To be frank, I didn’t really like this short. Sure, the quality of animation is crisp and the mellow narration was fitting but I did not really care for the volcano at all. It might just be me being too hard on the short but I was not completely interested in both the love story between male and female volcanoes. The romance between the two felt pretty forced, even for a six minute short. The musical aspect of the short is the best thing about this short. Not bad but not too memorable either.

Inside Out:

Compared to the previous 3 Pixar films released, this film outshines them all in terms of plot, character development, humor, and the emotional impact Pixar is known for. It’s no question that most reviewers and Pixar fans alike are raving about this film.

The plot is pretty simple: Riley’s father accepts a new position for his company in San Francisco and moves his family there. Joy helps Riley and the other emotions think positively about the move yet struggles to balance her role in Headquarters with the other emotions. I’m glad Joy was created as a good natured but flawed character since it allows her to grow and value not only the role of Sadness in Headquarters but to understand that the other emotions care as deeply for Riley as she does. After Joy and Sadness leave Headquarters after a small conflict, Anger, Fear, and Disgust are left trying to fulfill Joy’s role. Overtime, this causes her to become less emotional to the point where she is unable to feel anymore. This creates great comedy but mostly emotional drama Pixar is famous for.

The interaction between all five emotions is so natural. Joy’s annoyance with Sadness and Disgust’s sly sarcastic remarks to the other emotions are few of the many examples of how well each emotion interacts with one another.

The one thing that surprised me the most was that Pixar had the balls to kill off a major character. Even though on-screen death isn’t a new concept for Pixar (ex. Hopper or Combat Carl), the fact that Bing Bong sacrificed himself to help Joy escape from the abyss. I was one of the few that thought he was going to be a major villain in the film which worried me since it would feel forced. Rather, Bing Bong’s role was pivotal in returning Joy to Riley. His sacrifice was among the more heartbreaking parts of the film.

By the end of the film, I was amazed by how both creative (people who have seen the Abstract Thought portion or the colorful landscape of Riley’s mind will understand) and humorous Inside Out managed to be alongside its more serious themes of depression and loneliness.

In short, I may not have shown it but the last few Pixar films had me worried that Pixar had finally rested on their laurels. Inside Out, however, proved that Pixar was still committed to taking frequently used concepts and adapting them in a profoundly original way. Inside Out gave me hope that the writers at Pixar are committed to writing excellent films that are made to make the audience both laugh and cry. I am proud to say that it is my second favorite, non-Toy Story, Pixar film.

As a bonus, stay a bit during the credits so that you can see the emotions of the other characters in the film like the emo Pizza girl.

Who’s your friend that likes to play? Bing Bong, Bing Bong!

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Why Sadness is my favorite character. Spoilers approaching.

When I was young my parents struggled a lot to keep the family off the street. They had no time for anything for me and my siblings including my sadness. They would get angry whenever I cried and never comfort me. Over time my parents would get more financially secure and have time to spend with us and work with my sadness. But I was fearful of crying in from of them due to the many hardships I got for crying from them. So I would run and hide to cry. In school, I was bullied whenever I cried. I was the "crybaby". It was very hard to hold back tears. I learned being with others socially would lead me to suffer so I became a loner instead. I was told by a friend of mine that crying is useless and I wished to remove my emotion of sadness from my brain.

In highschool I have no memory what prompted me to write negatively about crying in a school assignment. I wrote what my friend told me back then, that crying is useless. The teacher gave me back the assignment with the comment that crying releases stress. This is the first time in my life I heard that crying is beneficial.

The damage that was done in my early years made it very hard for me to mourn for the passing of friends and family. I remember I finally shed a tear on my grandmother's grave and I told myself that I am not a monster.

Only in my late 20's did I finally come to terms with being sad and the action of crying. I spoke to my parents about not being able to cry around them in the past and now things have been sorted out.

Seeing Sadness the character forced into that circle drawn with chalk by Joy towards the beginning reminded me of my attempts at pushing my sadness away. Seeing sadness desperately trying to want to work the control panel reminded me of me not wanting to feel useless in life. Seeing Joy understand the purpose of sadness reminded me of the purpose of being sad in my life. Thank you Pixar for this movie.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Real talk.

Inside Out has one of the best musical scores Pixar has made since Toy Story 3.

I was already shedding some tears in the first five minutes just because of it.

By the time Riley is breaking down with her parents, the emotional power of the scene plus the music broke me down hard.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm not one to write full review of movies but I will say this:

[collapse=Lava Spoilers]
I need a gif of that part from Lava with him sinking when the lyrics say his tears filled the ocean and his dreams washed away, with the lyrics at the bottom of the gif. Then I can put faces over it and post it on the boards when needed.

For example: Ridley's head over the volcano, "His tears filled the oceans and his dreams were washed away."

I was thinking of this as soon as I heard "his tears filled the ocean".[/collapse]

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I'm not one to write full review of movies but I will say this:

[collapse=Lava Spoilers]
I need a gif of that part from Lava with him sinking when the lyrics say his tears filled the ocean and his dreams washed away, with the lyrics at the bottom of the gif. Then I can put faces over it and post it on the boards when needed.

For example: Ridley's head over the volcano, "His tears filled the oceans and his dreams were washed away."

I was thinking of this as soon as I heard "his tears filled the ocean".[/collapse]
Hahaha. I have another clever idea if you or someone else is a good artist. This involves the credit scene from Inside Out so obvious spoilers alert.

Since when it comes to non-human species, emotions look like the animals, you can make Ridley's emotions look like Ridley and have Anger Ridley or Sadness Ridley react in the way you expect them to, or have Disgust Ridley be disgusted about why the character slot went to a "undeserving character"

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Hahaha. I have another clever idea if you or someone else is a good artist. This involves the credit scene from Inside Out so obvious spoilers alert.

Since when it comes to non-human species, emotions look like the animals, you can make Ridley's emotions look like Ridley and have Anger Ridley or Sadness Ridley react in the way you expect them to, or have Disgust Ridley be disgusted about why the character slot went to a "undeserving character"
It's times like these in which I wish I had artistic talent.

Also (Inside Out Credits Scene Spoilers)

I found the credits scene with the teen boys emotions overreacting to the girl to be a sexist generalization. Personally, my headquarters team consists of Sarcasm, Lanky Kong, Shrek, Steven Universe, and a guy from the ******* Staff.

And Inb4 the sequel with new character "Lust," rated PG-13 and is a more mature Pixar comedy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
SO ONE OF MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS IRL LINKED ME TO INSIDE OUT SPOILERS.

But it doesn't make me want to see the movie any less, haha. Although I KNOW one part will leave me balling now...

God damn it I'm gonna cry over Bing Bong, aren't I? :( Groot/Iron Giant all over

Also not spoilery, but apparently during development there WAS supposed to be a sixth element, and it WAS supposed to be Surprise. They dropped it due to being covered by Fear already. My theory of "the emotions are all six universal emotions" was true at some point! Yay! That psych class paid off! :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dammit Opossum, you shouldn't have clicked that link. :sadsheep:
Wanna know how my friend did it?

Took a picture with his phone and said "look what I found on the Miiverse stage!"

And THAT'S where the spoiler was...it was the perfect plan...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wanna know how my friend did it?

Took a picture with his phone and said "look what I found on the Miiverse stage!"

And THAT'S where the spoiler was...it was the perfect plan...
Your friend is a sneaky, sneaky troll.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I saw Inside Out.

My God...I knew the Bing Bong thing was coming because of a spoiler, but MY ****ING GOD I cried like a baby in the theater. The delivery sold it.

"Take her to the moon for me." :(

Fantastic movie. Wonderful score.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
So what emotion would be the leader in your head based on how Inside Out depicts them? Such as Joy is Riley's leading emotion, Sadness is Riley's mom's emotion and Anger is Riley's Dad's leading emotion with fear being second in command.

I would say Fear is the leader in my head as I feel a lot of anxiety and I got people telling me I am very anxious. Not sure if Anger or Sadness would be second in command. I can easily become angry or sad about things.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Probably Fear, due to all the stress and anxiety in my life, haha.

Also I want Tripledent Gum to be a new recurring thing in Pixar movies. Like just in a random scene you see a newspaper ad for it or something. :p

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Probably Fear, due to all the stress and anxiety in my life, haha.

Also I want Tripledent Gum to be a new recurring thing in Pixar movies. Like just in a random scene you see a newspaper ad for it or something. :p
I can see it becoming the new Buy and Large from Wall-E.

Hard to say what my lead emotion would be. Probably Fear or Sadness.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
SO ONE OF MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS IRL LINKED ME TO INSIDE OUT SPOILERS.

But it doesn't make me want to see the movie any less, haha. Although I KNOW one part will leave me balling now...

God damn it I'm gonna cry over Bing Bong, aren't I? :( Groot/Iron Giant all over

Also not spoilery, but apparently during development there WAS supposed to be a sixth element, and it WAS supposed to be Surprise. They dropped it due to being covered by Fear already. My theory of "the emotions are all six universal emotions" was true at some point! Yay! That psych class paid off! :p
No you fool, the 6th emotion would be the one that :4dk:. AKA its not appropriate for a family film.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No you fool, the 6th emotion would be the one that :4dk:. AKA its not appropriate for a family film.
No seriously, it was Surprise. It's the last of the six universal emotions.

Plus it was said in an interview somewhere. Here it is.

Dr. Paul Ekman — who worked in San Francisco, still does, which is where Pixar Animation Studios is — he had early in his career identified six. That felt like a nice, manageable number of guys to design and write for. It was anger, fear, sadness, disgust, joy and surprise. As I was sort of doodling I was thinking, "Surprise and fear — probably fairly similar." So let's just lose surprise and that left us with five.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What about love?
Love wasn't one of Ekman's six universal emotions, mainly because said emotions are universally expressed through facial characteristics. The way love is mapped on the face varies across cultures, as well as different cultural depictions of love.

Love wasn't even Ekman's "seventh/if there were one more" emotion. That was Contempt.

Psychology is fun.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm.
So.
Lazy.
To.
Update. :psycho:

Sorry if I'm a bit behind on Disney related news but bear with me. Before I get started, I'm going to also be posting more in-depth on Disney toy news in the Pool Room's Toy General Discussion (created by yours truly :p) for those of you interested.

D23
Pixar has just confirmed their appearance at the biggest Disney fan event, D23! The following panels available for attendees are as listed:
  • Every Story Is a Journey: The Upcoming Films of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios
  • In Conversation with the Filmmakers and the Emotions Behind Inside Out
  • Pixar Secrets Revealed! Hear the Stories They Didn’t Want You to Know!
  • Toy Story: 20 Years Later, the Original Crew Looks Back
Read more: D23 EXPO: Pixar Announces Panels, Presentations and More Including Lasseter's Gallery of Shirts - Stitch Kingdom
In addition, the Buzz Lightyear float from the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade will be flying to infinity and beyond at the event.

Ant-Man
I know I haven't been following Ant-Man closely but we are only a few weeks away until its premiere. With that in mind, more TV-Spots are popping up:
in addition, there are some High-Res stills from Stitch Kingdom: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-antman-exclusive-hires-stills-behindthescenes-photos-75596/

Star Wars
Tons of Star Wars merchandise coming out! First and foremost, Star Wars Rebels is getting a Blu-Ray release of its first season that releases on September.

In addition, Hot Toys (the manufacturer that makes the hyper-realistic and expensive figures from popular movies) have revealed their young Luke Skywalker figure that is set to release next year. Check out Sideshow Collectibles for more information.

Salivates by the detail of the figure.

San Diego Comic-Con
The new Pixar short "Sanjay's Super Team" is set to premier for attendees at SDCC on July 9th. The short features a young boy named Sanjay imagining Hindu gods as a superhero team.
Source: http://www.pixarpost.com/2015/06/the-north-american-premiere-of-sanjays.html

And finally, the Star Wars Force Awakens Storm Trooper will be releasing first at SDCC for members to purchase. I can tell Hasbro is prepared to go all out on this line judging by the popularity of Star Wars toys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom