• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is STILL the best character ever (Wii-U Online Tournament: Complete!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG Hey man, sorry to make you pass this along, but I can't do tomorrow morning after all. I'll try to be there Sunday at 10, but I'm away from home and there's another blizzard rolling through here this weekend.
Sure thing. I'll forward this.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I can play right now if you want? :) Alternatively I'm able to play tomorrow before 3-4pm GMT?

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Played friendlies with Potechi a lot today.

If I had to put a scale on all the Ganondorfs in this tournament, including those who dropped out, I'd say that Pon and Gungnir right now are the best two, and I'm a bit better than Potechi who comes right behind me followed by Vermanubis and Z1GMA.

That's probably how the results will end up being.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

If I had to put a scale on all the Ganondorfs in this tournament, including those who dropped out, I'd say that Pon and Gungnir right now are the best two, and I'm a bit better than Potechi who comes right behind me followed by Vermanubis and Z1GMA.

That's pretty close to my observation right now. I personally think Gungnir is probably in his own tier in the Ganon community. I have had a lot of difficulty even touching him some games when he gets in my head. Both his spacing and technical skill are exceptionally good in situations that still catch me completely off guard. He's also one of the only Ganon players that I'm actually afraid to edgeguard, and I normally have a lot of confidence in my ability to edgeguard my opponent in the ditto.

Pon's also really good and really smart, but I feel like I'm sometimes able to slow the game down against him.

I actually had more difficulty playing against you as opposed to Pon, but this could simply be a playstyle specific thing. You do a lot of things that I consider really unconventional.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
That's pretty close to my observation right now. I personally think Gungnir is probably in his own tier in the Ganon community. I have had a lot of difficulty even touching him some games when he gets in my head. Both his spacing and technical skill are exceptionally good in situations that still catch me completely off guard. He's also one of the only Ganon players that I'm actually afraid to edgeguard, and I normally have a lot of confidence in my ability to edgeguard my opponent in the ditto.

Pon's also really good and really smart, but I feel like I'm sometimes able to slow the game down against him.

I actually had more difficulty playing against you as opposed to Pon, but this could simply be a playstyle specific thing. You do a lot of things that I consider really unconventional.
Pon does some really neat things, he's really good at forcing you to commit and then punish accordingly. I also think that he's better at edgeguarding than Gungnir is.

The two are definitely in a class of their own right now.

.. I'll hopefully still win this tournament though :)

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pon does some really neat things, he's really good at forcing you to commit and then punish accordingly. I also think that he's better at edgeguarding than Gungnir is.

The two are definitely in a class of their own right now.

.. I'll hopefully still win this tournament though :) haha.
Yeah, Pon's really devastatingly good at edgeguarding. However I feel like once I caught onto his habits offstage I could do better against him. He did 0-death me a few times though. However I also beat him legitimately at least once with my own defensive playstyle and edgeguarding.

Gungnir is different...he doesn't edgeguard quite as consistently as Pon, but his responses to being edgeguarded are just incredible. I would literally go out to gimp him, and I knew for certain that he would not come back in several situations where I edgeguarded him. But this was on my last stock, and he literally saved his jump ONLY to counter gimp me. Like for instance, I would time a N-air to cover his low recovery, but he would wait for it to end and then jump up to spike me. Also his ledge trap game is better than Pon's. His spacing near the ledge is frightening to say at the least.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

Off of what metric are we basing this?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Off of what metric are we basing this?
Purely subjective, obviously. :laugh:

I bet you're aiming to defend yourself. While I agree with the top 6 @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm suggested, I mostly just think it's Gungnir in his own tier, and everyone else mentioned is pretty close in skill level, with my personal bias being that Kalm is 2nd best.

When it's time to make our community tier list, I will want to hear opinions from as many Ganon users who are willing to contribute their observations. I will of course also make sure to ask our friends from Japan how they feel playing against various other Ganons. Though I don't think most people are likely to dispute that Gungnir is the community King of Evil.

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Purely subjective, obviously. :laugh:

I bet you're aiming to defend yourself. While I agree with the top 6 @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm suggested, I mostly just think it's Gungnir in his own tier, and everyone else mentioned is pretty close in skill level, with my personal bias being that Kalm is 2nd best.
An observation not too far left of the truth! Though, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. The main reason it caught my eye is because of the sparse case studies for a given Ganon there are, making it, in my mind, difficult to assess so early. I only know of three Ganons' tournament placings (Gungnir's, Kalm's and mine), and the rest I've only seen FG or friendlies with.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
GG my man :p Knew I'd get rekt but it was fun. Always looking to improve my 'Dorf and I can learn a lot from that, thanks! :)
Good games. Quick advice, try not rolling too much and focus more on what your opponent will do. If you roll a lot, your opponent can take very fast advantage. You have some pretty nice tricks though, you'll get good fast.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Good games. Quick advice, try not rolling too much and focus more on what your opponent will do. If you roll a lot, your opponent can take very fast advantage. You have some pretty nice tricks though, you'll get good fast.
Yea rolling's a bad old habit I need to shake off haha :p Thanks for the tips (and the rigorous training haha)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I "played" Pon, by which I mean I woke up, SD'd 3 times, and had to get ready for work.

I am a little salty that he left after the game where I SD'd twice at basically 0%, but oh well, haha. I downloaded his tricks and put them in the archive for later, so not all is lost.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I "played" Pon, by which I mean I woke up, SD'd 3 times, and had to get ready for work.

I am a little salty that he left after the game where I SD'd twice at basically 0%, but oh well, haha. I downloaded his tricks and put them in the archive for later, so not all is lost.
Aw. Well thanks for participating! By the way it's Potechi (Potato Chips) who you were against.

@ adom4 adom4 you'll be up against him. His NNID: Dpoteti

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG Added Potechi, does he speak english?
Also i'm pretty flexible on the time, i live closer to him so the hours won't be so bad for me.[/quote]

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG Added Potechi, does he speak english?
Also i'm pretty flexible on the time, i live closer to him so the hours won't be so bad for me.
He is decent at English. Anyhow you do have a +7 hour time zone difference from Japan which is actually about the same as my time zone difference from Japan at -7/+17 hours, and my connection with Japan has usually been decent in my experience.

Are you going to message him on Twitter to coordinate things, or do you need help relaying things? The main thing I recall from Potechi is he prefers to play after 7pm his time, and usually doesn't mind staying up late.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
He is decent at English. Anyhow you do have a +7 hour time zone difference from Japan which is actually about the same as my time zone difference from Japan at -7/+17 hours, and my connection with Japan has usually been decent in my experience.

Are you going to message him on Twitter to coordinate things, or do you need to help me relay things? The main thing I recall from Potechi is he prefers to play after 7pm his time, and usually doesn't mind staying up late.
I prefer that you'll message him, i can play from 6 PM to 2 AM my time.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Potechi suggested that he would be available around 7pm your time either on the 18th or 19th.
tommorow's good.
Also can you ask him if he's up for frienlies after the set please?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I lost 2-0 to Potechi, we had really bad input lag unfortunately :/
EDIT: oh my god our friendlies were crazy, items & equipment are fun as hell.
I finally got to show off my all attack + critical hit Dorf :ganondorf:

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah tbh I'm actually getting a little bit concerned. I would hate to forcibly DQ @alex6309 just because that set is taking forever, and he's already made it this far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom