• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Changes (E3)

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday, Smash Ultimate was revealed, and it'd be nice to see how our favorite characters are performing.

If you have any information or videos that show how Ganondorf currently performs, please post them here!

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
U-tilt has faster startup. Mang0 does it here: https://youtu.be/fQ1w0Dgh6Ik?t=74 What we don't know is if it still retains the power and instant guard break.

I noticed that f-air and down B have less end lag too.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Forward Smash, Down Smash, and Upsmash now use his sword. It looks like it has a bit more range and it is faster.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Up Air has a different animation, now looking similar to Guile's Flash Kick from the Street Fighter series. Back Air also has a different animation, as Ganondorf no longer crosses his legs, which was a pet peeve of mine with how this move looked.

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
Flame choke can be escaped in a manner similar to Bowser's side special when doing the ganoncide.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Nice, you guys are on the ball! I was just about to point out the 31% damage fsmash here. Good stuff.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Flame choke can be escaped in a manner similar to Bowser's side special when doing the ganoncide.
I don't even see the reason for that change. He has to be offstage or at the ledge for that to even work in Brawl or Smash 4. I understand why they did it to Bowser in Smash 4, since Bowser could kamikaze you anywhere on the stage as long as he had a % lead. Ganonciding requires you to typically be at a disadvantage(offstage trying to recover) and is typically a gamble because if you miss it, you're throwing away your own stock. Now it might be possible for somebody with a good recovery, or when you're on your last stock, to purposely jump in front of the move when the move is used as a recovery to make you kill yourself while they recover.

godogod

Smash Ace
I don' like the idea of 1vs1 making characters do more damage vs free for all or teams. It should be consistent on launch day.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I don't even see the reason for that change. He has to be offstage or at the ledge for that to even work in Brawl or Smash 4. I understand why they did it to Bowser in Smash 4, since Bowser could kamikaze you anywhere on the stage as long as he had a % lead. Ganonciding requires you to typically be at a disadvantage(offstage trying to recover) and is typically a gamble because if you miss it, you're throwing away your own stock. Now it might be possible for somebody with a good recovery, or when you're on your last stock, to purposely jump in front of the move when the move is used as a recovery to make you kill yourself while they recover.
Agree 100%. Flame choke off stage is significantly more riskier, so it was nice that you could win the game in last stock scenarios. Apparently Ganon doesn't go into helpless state anymore after flame choke, so maybe that's why they changed its properties?

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
Agree 100%. Flame choke off stage is significantly more riskier, so it was nice that you could win the game in last stock scenarios. Apparently Ganon doesn't go into helpless state anymore after flame choke, so maybe that's why they changed its properties?
That makes sense, not saying it was a good idea to change the flame choke as they did, but it makes sense.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I mean, if the rest of Ganon is better, they might have concluded that making Flame Choke inescapable was too good. It would be cruel to him in Smash 4 because he was not good in the first place, but who knows now...

Either way, they can always change it with a balance patch...

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Ganon’s Knockback in general seems very improved. He can finally KO mid weights at around 50-60%.
106833AC-FAB1-40F9-92D1-2D48D4F4DF84.gif

Now of course, we don’t know how much DI is involved. But the massive amount of damage that Ganondorf can do, and his knockback buffs look promising.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Regardless of where his tier placement is, he honestly looks really fun to play in this game.

D

Deleted member 269706

Until I get more info on falcon I will take refuge here. Ganon is looking like a monster. I'll miss baiting players with Usmash but this one looks better for catching landings. Long live the dorf

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
In general I think these changes are for the better and I can't wait to get this game come December.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I have no problem whatsoever with his swordsmashes( side smash looks hella fun, downsmash is essentially the same but improved, but will probably miss his upsmash or rather it's frame data), what I hope they fix though, is the issues he had with his range and hitbox positioning and properties. Given his size and build there's no reason for him to have shorter range than the other heavies
(especially considering he seems to augment/enhance just about every attack with his dark magic now) and please for the love of god give him a grab range that's similair to DK and Bowser. Just because he has two additional command grabs ( one of which was totally useless since brawl) doesn't mean he should lack in this appartment AGAIN. The one thing that did piss me off, was that he still has the hype but extremely situational and unnessacary uptilt volcano kick. WHY, just why. Besides edgeguarding (a field ganon has more than enough tools for) there won't be any use for this move (even less than the warlock punch). I can't be the only one that would rather have something like ryu's or mario's uppercut for the sake of juggling or anti air.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
U-Smash coverage is definitely appreciated. Up until now Ganondorf didn't really have an aggressive ground option to catch ambiguous landings where you couldn't tell if they end up in front or behind you.

shmible

Smash Rookie
Any word on Ganon's grab range in Smash Ultimate? It's absolute trash in Smash 4.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Any word on Ganon's grab range in Smash Ultimate? It's absolute trash in Smash 4.
Well the ssbwiki states that his standart grabrange has been approved, among many other things ( such as an actual usuable up-b, finally!) but by how much we'll just have to wait and see. Btw said wiki has a pretty good list of changes from smash4 to ultimate( though how reliable and up to change those may be is anyones guess) and low and behold, ganon seems to have received the most buffs and improvments out of any character!(Is Sakurai a Ganon main after all?) I just hope they don't backpedal on these changes come launch when a bunch of casuals get schooled by the demon king and apply the nerfhammer as a result >_>

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Girls, get Ganondorf for Smash Ultimate on your stock! They added the new stock icons.

I’m going to be making a thread with gifs of Ganon’s Moveset in smash. I’m picking up ganondorf for this game, simply because he looks incredible, and I need a secondary now. Anyway, I’d appreciate any help with the thread. If you guys want to help with gifs and other things, such as changes, please do.

Seems like an exciting time to be a ganondorf main. =)

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or did they sort of invalidate Warlock punch by adding that new Fsmash with more range, disjoint, and similar power?

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I wouldn't say that. Warlock Punch has never been a tool you utilize that often. It has super armour though, and will still probably be the best in the game when it comes to punishing shield breaking, a feat that should be easier than before with the faster U-tilt. I'm just speaking as a low-mid tier player of course.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Up tilt seems to go off about 20% faster then it did in Smash 4, though it seems to have lost some knockback to compensate. It's also one of the moves that gets the zoom-in + slo-mo regardless of whether it's a KO or not (Which naturally means you should be trying to connect with it more then ever).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qpIJRks_Y&t=18s

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Up tilt seems to go off about 20% faster then it did in Smash 4, though it seems to have lost some knockback to compensate. It's
I wouldn't say that. Warlock Punch has never been a tool you utilize that often. It has super armour though, and will still probably be the best in the game when it comes to punishing shield breaking, a feat that should be easier than before with the faster U-tilt. I'm just speaking as a low-mid tier player of course.
Do you honestly believe that there will be a sizable amonunt of scenarios/situation in 1v1 where you'll manage to land an uptilt? Think back toward the end of smash4 for glory, did anyone let him/herself be hit by uptilt besides the occasional very young casual player? The only use I see, is for the purpose of edge guarding and :ultganondorf: has more than enough better alternatives as far as that matter is concerned.

Right now the change I want most for him, besides a heavily reworked warlock punch or even better dead man's volley , is a short range ( like old grab) but fast ( frame 4) uppercut as an uptilt that serves as a combo starter for his airials.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Do you honestly believe that there will be a sizable amonunt of scenarios/situation in 1v1 where you'll manage to land an uptilt?
I mean, there's still enough of those in Smash 4 for me to like the move and it's reasonable to assume that with U-tilt's buffs and the new Perfect Shield mechanic there will be even more. D-throw to U-tilt works surprisingly often since players don't expect it and shield in panic. That may tell more about the players I come across than the move's utility, but I don't really care.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Real talk: Uptilt and Warlock Punch are bad, have always been bad, and will always be bad.

They're just trash design.
FFA moves to land kills on players occupied with the others/not focused on you =P

Using them after a shield break is obvious, so yeah, that doesn't count. If I'm using those moves in a match, I'm likely just looking to style on you/get highlight footage, which is important to me as a Ganondorf player.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Utilt has its uses, you just need to use it in ways the opponent won't expect. The opponent might even make the mistake of trying to block it. With the new u-tilt being much faster, it'll be even harder to react to.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
If I'm using those moves in a match, I'm likely just looking to style on you/get highlight footage, which is important to me as a Ganondorf player.
That's more what I was getting at, not so much up tilt actually being that much better. It's just a fun move to connect with, and it being faster makes that easier, plus the zoom-in makes it even more satisfying.

I like trying to edge-guard with it particularly because the hitbox is big enough to prevent most characters from ledge-snapping past it, and that's going to be less of an issue in Ultimate due to the decreased ledge snap range.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Utilt has its uses, you just need to use it in ways the opponent won't expect. The opponent might even make the mistake of trying to block it. With the new u-tilt being much faster, it'll be even harder to react to.
Very situational, but very rewarding when it actually works. It's a move I'll throw out maybe once or twice a game to catch people of guard. If I know I'm playing a good player though, then it just might be once or twice a set. I prefer going with options that are more reliable in a competitive setting. I'll probably be using a little more in Ultimate though. The styyyle.

That's more what I was getting at, not so much up tilt actually being that much better. It's just a fun move to connect with, and it being faster makes that easier, plus the zoom-in makes it even more satisfying.

I like trying to edge-guard with it particularly because the hitbox is big enough to prevent most characters from ledge-snapping past it, and that's going to be less of an issue in Ultimate due to the decreased ledge snap range.
Yeah, it's definitely fun. We've got a lot of ways to harass recovering opponents now that edge-guarding will be more prevalent since you won't have players spamming air-dodge (+ recoveries in general don't seem to be as stupid as they were in Smash 4). The most satisfying move for me is the reverse Uair. One way ticket to gimp city.

Top Bottom