• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon Stage Discussion (Norfair)

TP

Smash Master
Feel free to discuss anything about previous stages. I will change my overviews if you bring up good points. Please keep the main focus on the current stage, though.

Jungle Japes

Rating: 4/10

Legal? Often

Discussion:

Japes has a very high ceiling. This makes vertical kill moves less effective. You won't be killing with dash attack or Dair here, so don't worry about them going stale. Likewise, try to keep Ftilt and Fsmash fresh.

A large amount of the fighting will take place on the side platforms. This benefits people who are good at camping. If you are trying to reach someone who is repeatedly camping a side platform, mix up your approaches as much as possible. Sometimes come from the ledge, sometimes from the air, sometimes straight on with an aerial Choke. On the sides, you don't need to worry about DDD's chaingrab. Yay. Unfortunately, grounded Choke is next to useless on the sides. There is also very little Wizkick Canceling on this stage. These issues hurt your mobility, so try to stay in control as best you can.

The Klaptrap will test your awareness of your surroundings. He shows up attacking the right gap whenever the seconds part of the timer ends in a 7. He attacks the left about 3 seconds after that. The better you are at utilizing this, the more successful you will be. Regardless of the Klaptrap, always consider the option of spiking someone through one of the gaps. Most stages do not have such an opportunity.

When in the water, always hold RIGHT to survive longer. If you attempt a ganoncide into the water, the opponent starts going downstream first. This means that if you both have one stock left and you ganoncide on the left side of the stage, you will win.

When fighting in the middle of the stage, always try to get your opponent onto the platform to Uair them through it. The flat surfaces make autocanceling a breeze, which is always nice.

Ban against: Falco, ROB, Pit

CP against: None

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: Luigi

Pokemon Stadium 1

Rating: 7/10

Legal? Always

Discussion:

Ganon is a big man, and he needs a big stage to be comfortable. PS1 is very large and open, which is great against characters without projectiles and unfortunate otherwise. Ganon has all the room he needs for Wizkick, Murder Choke, and dash attack. Other close-range fighters can usually beat Ganon by keeping constant pressure on him, but this stage is large enough to have a slower tempo. Ganon likes it slow. Be wary of the ledges, they can gimp you if you don't practice recovering on this stage. Here is a quick breakdown of the 4 phases of the stage. Note that the transitions between these phases can screw over multiple choke attempts. If you know a change is coming, just do a guaranteed followup from a choke instead of trying to choke again.

Neutral: This is a great layout for Ganon. The platforms are placed very nicely for Uairs. Use the large amount of space to keep the battle at a slower pace.

Grass: Like the neutral phase but with slightly less helpful platforms.

Water: The windmill is ultimately a bad thing. Ganon is too large to maneuver around it effectively. However, if you are near it but not under it, you can try to hit the opponent into the windmill. You will have a great positional advantage at this point. If you are to the left, you can hit them and have them bounce off the windmill and go offstage, ready to be edge guarded. Just be wary that the same can happen to you.

Rock: Beware the middle part. Walls are never a good thing for Ganon. In fact, don't fight at all on this part. Just stay away or let them approach you until the stage transforms again. Don't take stupid risks.

Fire: Again, don't approach. Get on one side of the little tree and stay there. Uair them if they try to get close. Utilt rules here. It will hit through the tree, and the opponent can't reach you in time to punish it.

Something cool about this stage is that it is very unlikely people will CP it against you. Campers do well here, but they have better camping stages to pick. You get to come to PS1 only when you choose to, which is when you are against other close-range fighters... such as MK. I am putting this down as our primary CP against MK because he destroys us on all other good Ganon stages.

Ban against: None

CP against: MK

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: Ike, Sonic, MK, DK, Falcon, Diddy

Rainbow Cruise​

Rating: 1/10

Legal? Always

Discussion:

This stage is all about mobility. If you don't realize how much that sucks, reconsider using Ganon. This stage favors agility and good recoveries, so there is pretty much nothing good here. Let's break it down a bit.

The ship: This is a pretty bad area for Ganon. It is cramped, which helps against campers but makes choking less effective. It has uneven ground, which hurts thunderstorming. It has a wall, not high enough for Ganon to use, but high enough for tilt locks to get him, not to mention DDD's wall infinite.

The left part: This is where Ganon's bad mobility comes into play fully. No choking game whatsoever here, especially with the very few ledges. Without those ledges, you must accept a huge vulnerability whenever you use Dark Dive. Don't even think of the concept of Wizkick Canceling. This part of the stage pretty much consists of your opponent waiting for you to be wide open and punishing. It is easy to die when going to the pendulum. MK and Kirby will kill you with an Uthrow at super low percents here.

The top-right part: Walk-off edge. Besides that, this area could be worse. Watch out for the donuts falling and you being unable to recover.

The better you know this stage, the better you will perform, but you will still be in an awful situation. Only one character hates the moving ground as much as Ganon does. There are no infinites on part of the stage, so this is a viable place to fight the Ice Climbers.

Ban against: Everyone who does not appear on another Ban list. This is our "standard" ban.

CP against: None.

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: Ice Climbers

Green Greens

Rating: 6/10

Legal? Rarely

Discussion:

Green Greens is a place where one mistake can cost you a stock. Fortunately, Ganon mains are used to that sort of thing. The blast zones are very close on this level. This means chokes can start killing very early. In fact, choke is just great on this level in every way. If you choke someone on or near the blocks, they will have very limited options in getting up, which makes it easier to Fsmash, Dair, etc.

Another good thing about the blocks is how they affect Dair. If you Dair a block, the hitbox will stay out for a very long time, and unsuspecting foes will run right into it. However, the opponents can use the blocks as well as Ganon. They act as walls in some situations. Don't ever fight DDD here. People can camp behind the blocks too. It is possible for Ganon to Tipman lock an opponent against the wall, but very hard to setup.

The bombs deal 20% and kill you very early if you don't DI properly. With good DI, you can survive a bomb sending you to the nearest blast zone even at about 100%. Ganon's weight makes him a lot safer than other characters when fighting around the bombs. The apples also help Ganon. Some apples are food, which is nice. A few are bombs, which you just need to be weary of. The majority of the apples are regular projectiles. These are very helpful because they give Ganon an extra option when approaching campers.

Due to how close the blast zones are and the ability to go under part of the stage, recovering is not a big issue here. Obviously, this is good news. Even though edge guarding is less important on this stage, Tipman is still an effective option.

Ban against: DDD (though this is unimportant since the stage is rarely legal)

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: None

Brinstar

Rating: 9/10

Legal? Always

Discussion:

This stage is small. The main platform is not long and the side platforms are tiny. This means Ganon is always able to be right next to the opponent, which makes this a great stage against campers. Campers are also hurt by all the things on the stage that absorb hits. Uair is wonderful here, spam it. The blast zones on the sides are very close. This is good, since it means Fair, Fsmash, and Ftilt will all kill very early. Characters who rely on horizontal kills enjoy this advantage more than we do (DK), but vertical killers like it less (Pika).

The ground is uneven. This is bad, since it screws up thunderstorming. On the other hand, combine small platforms and uneven ground and you get a stage where DDD can't chaingrab well. Don't get caught up on the hittable part of the floor on the right. That area is bad for chokes and wizkicks. However, if you land a choke anywhere near that area, it leads to easy tech chasing.

Recovering on this stage is a breeze. The acid can come up and save you, and the fall-through bottom platform gives Ganon more options. Just don't misplace a choke recovery and end up dying. Speaking of the acid, it follows a predictable pattern. Learn the pattern. Once you know when the acid will be rising, you can do the most fun thing this stage has to offer: lavaciding. Ganoncide someone as the acid is rising and you will survive while they die.

You can refresh your stale moves on the hittable parts of the stage, so do that when you can. Don't ever fight a Wario here, or you'll endure 8 minutes of Dairs and you'll never touch him.

Ban against: Donkey Kong, Wario

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: Pikachu, DDD, Fox, ZSS, other projectile users if they are being campy against you.

Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Rating: Who gives a ****/10

Legal? Rarely

Discussion:

The blast zones on this stage are very close. That means Choke>Dtilt can kill early hear, as well as Choke>iDA. You can live to high percents if you are good at teching. The blocks don't really give Ganon any advantage sadly. Avoid taking any chaingrabbers here, erspecially DDD. This really isn't a good stage for Ganon, but who cares? It's almost never legal.

Ban against: DDD if this stage is legal

Distant Planet

Rating: 3/10

Legal? Sometimes

Discussion:

This stage is awful in a lot of ways, though it has a few redeeming qualities. We'll go from left to right. The walkoff edge is an awful thing for Ganon. Beware DDD on this stage. On the bright side, if you choke someone up the slope then the followups are guaranteed on every character. Just don't miss the choke and get thrown to death by anyone. The bottom of the slope is a great spot for camping for pretty much any character, Snake most of all. You can SH Uair from that spot until the rain comes and you will never get punished, it is so safe. Unfortunately, the rain sucks. Ganon does not have a good enough recovery to fight it at all. Get off the slope when it starts to rain.

Next, the plant area. The leaves suck, period. They mess up autocanceling and generally are not good for a big, bulky character like Ganon. On the other hand, the flower pills are awesome. They can force a normal getup, which means a free Fsmash to the face. Having a projectile to throw is always good for Ganon, since it gives him a new option. Wizkick is very effective on this stage because it basically attacks the entire plant area and the cancels. The bulb-orb follows a consistent pattern. Be smart and you won't get eaten.

Ban against: Snake

Lylat Cruise

Rating: 6/10

Legal? Always

Discussion:

This stage is ALL about your awareness of your surroundings. If you aren't good at focusing on things besides you and the opponent, you will fail here. This stage is known for one thing: tilting. It tilts back and forth, meaning you are almost always on a slope. It also means that the stage can tilt away from you while you try to recover, thus gimping you. Awareness won't make that particular issue go away, sorry.

Normally, I don't recommend stages with slopes, because it messes with your autocancels. However, since this stage is so consistent compared to a stage like Yoshi's Island (Brawl) you can build a strategy around it here. Don't try to autocancel an aerial uphill. While going downhill, however, you can AC full jump aerials by landing on the platforms. The platforms are perfect for Uair spam. Of course, the platforms are also great for the Utilts and Uairs of many other characters, so stay off the platforms whenever possible.

Choking on a slope is greatly advantageous, unless every followup was already guaranteed on the opponent on a flat surface. If Choke>Dtilt and Choke>iDA are normally not guaranteed, they will be when the enemy is below you on the slope, because it takes them an extra frame or two to reach the ground and access their options. On the flip side, if jab is normally not guaranteed, it will be if the enemy is above you on the choke, because they are now within its range vertically. This greatly expands are choke game against Lucario, Marth, and Falco. Note that none of this paragraph applies to Wario or Squirtle because they can DI behind you after a choke, making them always immune.

Gimping is very easy here, and so of course recovering for you is more difficult as well. The tilting can block projectiles for you, which is nice.

Ban against: None

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: Lucario, Marth, Falco, Wolf

Norfair

TP

Smash Master
Jungle Japes discussion starts now.

Note that you do not have to follow the format I have set up, but it would be nice. Also not that you MUST post in here if you are one of the main members of the board. That is NOT OPTIONAL.

Anyway... Japes. I'll get us started.

Legal? Often.

General Discussion:

Japes has a very high ceiling. This makes vertical kill moves less effective. That makes this a good stage against characters that rely on vertical kills, such as Luigi. It also means thunderstomp and dash attack won't be killing for you. Therefore, don't fret about them getting stale. Use them to rack up damage here.

While in the water, ALWAYS HOLD RIGHT. It will let you live longer.

I'll let you guys cover the other stuff. Post anything you want.

Ban against: Falco, ROB.

CP against: none

CP if Norfair and P. Ship are banned: Luigi, Fox?, DDD?

Rating: Not sure, probably a 4 or 5.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to start off with a list of stages in the order I'd willingly go to them out of the 22 listed in the legal stages list at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230976.
1 being my most preferred, 22 being my least.

1. Brinstar
2. Battlefield
3. Norfair
4. Pirate Ship
5. Delfino Plaza
6. Pictochat
7. Smashville
8. Final Destination
9. Halberd
10. Jungle Japes
11. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
12. Lylat Cruise
13. Castle Siege
14. Green Greens
15. Pokemon Stadium 1
16. Port Town Aero Dive
17. Luigi's Mansion
18. Frigate Orpheon
19. Pokemon Stadium 2
20. Rainbow Cruise
21. Yoshi's Island (Melee)
22. Distant Planet

I like Brinstar, I hate Distant Planet.

Anyways, back to the stage on topic.

Japes is one of my more favored stages.

Pros:
-Flat surfaces make for easier auto-canceled aerials.
-Water means your recovery can't be gimped, which is often a major problem for Ganon
-Choking someone into the water makes them go downstream first, game winning if you're both on your last stock
-Platform in middle begs for Ganon's aerials to crush whoever lands on it
-If someone is guarding you from recovering to the right platform, just swim to the middle or left one.
-Easy to spike people in several zones above the water
-Klaptraps are hilarious
-Scenery is actually quite nice and CRANKY'S IN DA HOUSE
-Fights on the left side are intense. Also they make the game shorter, which is always cool.
-Shallow side blast zones make for early f-smash, f-tilt, f-air, u-air and several other horizontal kills

Cons:
-Campers love camping the left platform
-Falco likes to chaingrab-spike into the water. If you don't immediately tech it, your hopes of recovering are shot down in a flurry of lasers.
-People with good recoveries have the advantage just by always coming back when knocked into the water.
-Extremely tall ceiling means killing with stomps, dash attacks, u-smashes and aerial intercepted down-b's will be rare
-the water pretty much takes away Ganon's up-b. If you can't choke to the left platform, you're not getting back
-Some characters are hard to see with the dark background. I don't remember who exactly but it's happened a few times where I got confused where my opponent actually was. Snake and G&W come to mind...

Anyways this stage strongly urges you to maintain control of the field. If you're not in control, you're heading downstream. Though a quick dip downstream can get you out of a tight spot as well as give you a *quick* breather and a new vantage point. Klaptraps are on a timer so keep that in mind if you like going for a swim. Personally, I've never been dominated on this stage, even against decent Peaches, Snakes and Falcos. I never counterpick it myself, but I don't get concerned if someone else picks it.

Oh right, the format.

Since it's my tenth favorite out of twenty-two, that would put it at about the 45th percentile so...

Rating: 5.5/10

Legal: Often (some jerknuts whine about klaptraps)

Ban against: Falco, ROB, Peach, Pit, Jigglypuff, Kirby, IC's maybe?

Counterpick against: Olimar, Ike

The last parts of the format are confusing to me so I'll just wrap it up here.

Another one of Squirrely's well-respected tomes of irrefutable insight and thought-provoking wisdom draws to an end.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falco and ROB are lawl here. G&W, Yoshi, and DK WILL survive forever here and especially against you in particular since you can't edgeguard them easily.

And there pretty much is nothing stupid for you to do on this stage. So avoid it.

:034:

Smash Hero
If Norfair and P. Ship are banned, counterpick against:
Appreciated. Neither of those stages are on the counterpick list for us. We're going to discuss both Norfair and Jungle Japes on the dutch site though, so they might get on the counterpick list after all (unlikely).

What I know of the stage is that this is a great stage for Falco. So ban it against Falco players, always.

Anyway, I'm just here to learn.

TP

Smash Master
The last parts of the format are confusing to me so I'll just wrap it up here.
Most of the time, we should CP either Norfair or Pirate Ship if they are legal. I didn't want the entire cast grouped into two CP lists, so we are doing the CPs once if they are legal and once if they are banned. Does that clear up the confusion?

Good info on Japes, BTW.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I get that Ganons tend to jump toward those two stages but why would the character list for "who to CP this stage against if Pirate Ship and Norfair are banned" be any different from the original "who to CP this stage against"?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Rating (out of 10): For Ganon 5~6

Legal: Always

General Discussion:
Okay I like the stage as far as for other characters and the fun of water chokes. As for Ganon it's not the best. F+B can get you around the stage and through some areas if you need to but same can be said about D+B. The problem with this stage is if makes for approaching a pain if your opponent is a campy *astard. The entire stage screams kill off the sides. Foward Tilt and Forward Smash shine here more than ever. F+B into a Forward smash chase is the best way to get a kill usually but I haven't checked the percents that people die from this. While I do like the flat surface which makes for easy thunderstorming, there isn't much room for someone to approach.

Ban Against: Fox, R.O.B., Falco, Peach

Counterpick Against: Olimar, Snake, D3, Sonic

If Norfair and P. Ship are banned, counterpick against: Olimar, Snake, D3, Sonic

Honestly I don't choose this stage often, never comes to mind much but it can be good against those posted, just never played too manyother characters.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Olimars are actually discussing the stage right now (and for the most part, they do in fact favor it) but I've had good luck against olimars here. Water is always a killer since it washes away most of their pikmin and with the high ceiling, u-smash kill isn't such a bother. I'd still take them to Rainbow Cruise since most of them hate that place, but if they banned RC then this would be one of my choices along with delfino, pirate ship and port town aero dive.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If you get the Olimar into the water and they don't have all blues it's instant death. I still wouldn't take them here as Ganon b/c you'd be hard pressed to get through their grab nonsense if they just sit under the platform. Ganon can also die really easily if he falls in the water either b/c he's a huge klap trap target or b/c he can't recover. You also lose your aerial wizkick and your thunderstorm kill possibilities.

TP

Smash Master
I get that Ganons tend to jump toward those two stages but why would the character list for "who to CP this stage against if Pirate Ship and Norfair are banned" be any different from the original "who to CP this stage against"?
If I'm against Snake and Norfair is legal, I'd pick it. If it is not, I'd pick Delfino.

Keep discussing stuff guys. I notice Dr. Hyde said to ban this against Fox, but I disagree. What is Fox gonna do to kill you without Usmash kill? If anything, the stage favors us against Fox.

I don't like the lack of WKC on this stage. It makes me feel like I'm not in control of my movement.

Smash Hero
Fox also still has a fairly good fsmash, is a moderate camper and he can move around on the stage more freely than you can (but then again he always can so what's the point). And his recovery is generally better than Ganondorf's, so I assume he's better off on this stage than you are.

I go around with Fox from time to time. JJ seems like a more suitable stage for Fox than Gman (especially since I use usmash as a damaging move and not primarily as a killing one).

TP

Smash Master
Fox also still has a fairly good fsmash, is a moderate camper and he can move around on the stage more freely than you can (but then again he always can so what's the point). And his recovery is generally better than Ganondorf's, so I assume he's better off on this stage than you are.

I go around with Fox from time to time. JJ seems like a more suitable stage for Fox than Gman (especially since I use usmash as a damaging move and not primarily as a killing one).
Interesting. However, I still think we would be better off banning certain other stages against Fox. People have said this is a bad stage ROB, Falco, G&W, DK, Yoshi, Fox, and Peach. Who of these should we BAN Japes against? As in, who here does not have another legal stage we must avoid more? I think this is far from the hardest place to fight Yoshi, since CG Spike can be avoided if you have good positioning here.

What do you guys think of taking MK here?

Smash Hero
Interesting. However, I still think we would be better off banning certain other stages against Fox. People have said this is a bad stage ROB, Falco, G&W, DK, Yoshi, Fox, and Peach. Who of these should we BAN Japes against? As in, who here does not have another legal stage we must avoid more? I think this is far from the hardest place to fight Yoshi, since CG Spike can be avoided if you have good positioning here.

What do you guys think of taking MK here?
As far as I know, you should ban JJ against Falco, since he can wreck you more on this stage than on a neutral... I wouldn't know about the rest since I don't know a whole lot about the stage (like I said, not in our ruleset).

I talked to stRIP about MK on Jungle Japes (he uses MK as well), and he said MK is very good on JJ. He can kill on the side blastzones really easily.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You don't want to go to Japes against anyone with a projectile or good mobility. The hugeness of this stage will let them EASILY run the timer on you.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
When I threw down like a dozen characters of who I'd ban this stage for, I was thinking of who I wouldn't want to fight here, not who I'd do everything in my power to not face on this stage.

So I'll shorten my list to just Falco. I think he'd wreck us here more than anywhere else, even though I don't think I've lost to a Falco here yet >.>

ROB would probably take us to Frigate Orpheon or Rainbow Cruise to take advantage of our crappy recovery and his excellent recovery OR somewhere where he can tilt lock us against a wall or ceiling like Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Stadium 1 or Delfino.

I'd pick this stage against Ike probably. And maybe Olimar if Delfino and Pirate Ship were unavailable.

Everyone else I wouldn't worry about going here with any more than some other stage.

TP

Smash Master
ROB would probably take us to Frigate Orpheon or Rainbow Cruise to take advantage of our crappy recovery and his excellent recovery OR somewhere where he can tilt lock us against a wall or ceiling like Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Stadium 1 or Delfino.
ROB is my secondary. I would take a Ganon to Japes, or maybe Luigi's Mansion. However, Mansion is rarely legal. I'd definitely ban Japes against ROB. ROB on Japes is the most "you have to approach" situation in the entire game.

I'll keep the Japes discussion going until it seems we won't get any more out of it. Kalm and DAD need to post too. IT'S REQUIRED.

Superspright

Smash Lord
ROB will take you anywhere to take advantage of our crappy recovery. :S But Jungle Japes is a slam dunk for him. Ganon has 0 approach on ROB if he camps the right or left platforms. He can just hang out and laser, gyro, do robot things and what not. But I think taking olimar here is a great idea. If he hits the water, he's certainly dead. Actually, if all his pikmin die his up+b can actually sweetspot in a bigger radius than if he had 3 pikmin. I don't know if this hurts the theory that he would die in the water or not.

[EDIT] ROB used to be my main until I started to pick up Ganon and fell in love with his magic thunder boots.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Well, yeah Ganon could do that. But would ROB really care after he's already racked up some damage? ROB is extremely comfortable with camping--more so than falco in your hypothetical situation because he can down angle his laser, and his gyro can be z-dropped onto the ledge. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I know it sounds gay, but couldn't Ganon
ledgeDrop -> regrab (invincibility frames) until ROB gets so annoyed that he approaches Ganon?
I know that this might sound gay, but that's what I do against campy characters such as R.o.b. Annoy the **** out of them till they decide to come up and fight Ganon like a man, but sadly they'll go back to camping once I've dealt 42%+ damage in just two hits.

So no, it's not always a good idea.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
The reason I was saying this was a possible CP against Olimar is for two things, Stage size and Water.
Yeah yeah Water is near instant death for Oli, I know I play the guy, or did, don't really care now that everyone is campy with my first round pick to play Brawl with. Basically, they can grab us at the ledge if we try to F+B them to death but we do have the option to go under the platform and score some unexpected hits with Uair and UP+B if placed right.

As far as the main platform, yeah, they'll be lame. Approach and read. I hate it soo much but watch Olimar and save a jump when you approach and you might not get grabbed the first time he tries it.
But seriously, F-tilt and Forward Smash will kill the lil' guy. Keep in mind he has a major back throw though. I've only taken an Olimar to that stage twice and I've never done it again so I'm just saying what I know.

Becuase he is Campy no matter where you go it will be annoying if he can run but on JJ you can only run so far, then they'll try to grab you. Dodge that and they are on their way to death

TP

Smash Master
OK, we are banning Japes against ROB. I beat Squirrely 9-1 there. Ganon just has no answer to ROB's camping if the ROB plays gay enough. I doubt Olimar is much easier, though at least Olimar can't fly to the other side to reset the situation every 10 seconds.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Yeah, if ROB wants to play uber gay then he will win hands down. Ganon shouldn't win there if ROB takes advantage of all of his options. The ganon will have to mindgame the living hell out of him to even have a hope.

TP

Smash Master
I am just about ready to move on, but first I would like Japes' rating to be agreed upon. I think it should be 4/10. It isn't a really a bad stage, but there is nothing very good about it. If we are forced to ban this stage against several characters, I don't think it should get a 5/10. One thing that was not discussed before is that Wizkick Canceling and grounded Choke are hurt severely by the layout. Without those, Ganon's already bad mobility becomes pitiful. So, do you guys agree with 4/10?

Superspright

Smash Lord
4/10 sounds fair. It's not a TERRIBLE stage for ganon overall, but it's not good either--I'd say it's subpar. I agree.

TP

Smash Master
Pokemon Stadium 1 discussion begins now.

As I have now put into the first post, you are free to discuss any previous stage. In fact, I'll do that right now: Do you guys think we should ban Japes against Pika? Is there another stage we are better off banning against him? Please say something about the current stage when commenting on previous ones. My summaries are NOT set in stone.

Anyway, PS1. I honestly don't have much experience here. Certain parts help campers, and there are walls to look out for. Don't get caught up on the windmill. The edges can be evil, so be careful when recovering. I don't really think we should CP or ban this stage against anyone. It is pretty neutral. Personally, I would give it a 5/10.

Always legal, of course. I noticed that one person said Japes is always legal. Apex says otherwise.

Smash Hero
Pokémon Stadium 1 is one of my favorite stages, to be honest. I'll put something big tomorrow or something, for now I'll just go by the list.

Legal? Always

Ban against: D3? ROB?

CP against: Any close combat fighter.

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: See above.

You might be a bit suprised for this, but PS1 shines in the fact that it's a very open stage. This makes it good for campers... However, they won't think about counterpicking this very often, so you don't always have to ban it against campers. The only one I'd consider banning this against is D3, as this stage has some walls that he can wallchain you against.

Now, what's good about this stage is it's openness. If there are two infighters who don't use projectiles, this stage can be a godsend. Ganondorf gets a lot of space to move around here with uair, wizkick, flame choke. You can really get your spacing right on this stage, which is something I love. However, this includes the likes of Marth and Ike, with better spacing than you do. Be wary of that.

As for it's transformations, the platforms can benefit Ganondorf, except for Rock. Rock is basically gay stuff, just stay away from it. If it's against an infighter, it doesn't matter anyway. If it's against campers, you got your work cut out for you...

Overall, I'd give this stage 7/10.

I ended up typing a lot after all...

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
It's not a bad stage in the neutral form, but the other ones can be really annoying. The edges are an annoyance if you don't line up properly, and edgegaurding some characters can be hard.

I'm not sure if it's common, but my brother mains/seconds Oli and likes to pick PS1 from time to time, and it plays pretty well for him for several reasons: Oli can ledgedrop and uair through the stage to ward off edgegaurding attempts, landing on either of the platforms is dangerous because Oli can reach right up into them and juggle. The best thing about the stage, though, is the transformations mean camping isn't too much of a prob

The one thing I love the Pokemon Stadium stages for is vs Diddy. The transformations can help alot with nanners, and even the neutral is good because of the two platforms. I've had plenty of succest spiking him out of up-B coming up to the ledge, but that could be error on their part with the charge. Still, it's enough that I consider it most of the time as a cp vs a diddy.

Rock can lead to stalling but I sometimes can get utilt hits during it.

Ban against: It probably isn't worth a ban, but if you think there's a good chance it'll get picked I would ban it vs Olimoar.

CP against: I use Ps1 and 2 as cp's for Diddy.

CP if Norfair and P. Ship are banned: Diddy, maybe jiggs and peach

Rating: Probably around 6-7.

TP

Smash Master
Anybody else wanna say something about PS1 before we move on?

Also, do you guys think we should ban Japes vs. Pit? That match would suck.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I'd consider banning Japes against Pit. Other places I'd consider to ban would be Frigate and Cruise. But Pit could spam projectiles more efficiently on Japes plats than just about anyone else.

As for PS1, I don't particularly care for it. Getting stuck in the windmill pisses me off a bunch. Especially when people can shoot stuff under it and hit you or just walk under it. I have trouble even rolling under it, and I'm just asking to get punished. There are also several spots to get caught in infinites, which never benefits Ganon, and people like to stall near that giant rock wall when it pops up, which pisses me off since it just makes the game drag on because we can't do much about the stalling that won't be a huge risk to Ganon.
Also, stage changing has messed up my choke game countless times. Lame.

I don't know what the hell is up with the edges, but I've gotten stuck under those more than on FD.

Like Teron said, the neutral version is probably the safest for Ganon, but I'm sure that's the case for every character as well. :-/

Ganon does ok here but pretty much every other character does better.

Ban: I'm not sure who to ban from this stage, I think every character does better on some other stage.
Maybe Samus and ZSS.

CP against: Probably no one.

CP if Norfair was banned: Taking Diddy here seems like a good idea Teron, this'll be my back-up.

It's not a bad stage persay, but everyone else seems to take advantage of it better than Ganon
Overall rating: 5/10

( I abandoned my percentile ranking strategy, it just seems like a dumb idea)

TP

Smash Master
CP against: Any close combat fighter.

If Norfair and Pirate Ship are banned, CP against: See above.
The main close combat fighters are Luigi, MK, DK, Marth, Ike, Jiggs, Falcon, Wario, Kirby, Bowser, and Sonic. Who of them would you take here over Brinstar, Delfino, etc.?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Wow, my browser just effed up and I lost a nice long post I had on PS1. A quicker summary:

Neutral stage: Good. Nothing fancy here and no need to alter your normal playstyle much. The two platforms are nicely spaced.

Windmill: The windmill can be a pain, but I've gotten some nice strings of attacks on the left side of the windmill which lead to a ricochet over the edge setting up an early DAir spike.

Tree/Burning House: I like to camp on the left of the tree. Utilts hit through the tree to the other side (and suck in opponents, mind you), and you can camp USmashes/UAirs if your opponent tries to approach you. This is an advantageous position for Ganon IMO.

Rock: Worst stage. Just stay away from that deep "pit" in the middle. NinjaLink shows you why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb6mASnWa8U @ 1:10 . Gross.

Good stage IMO. 7/10

Smash Hero
The main close combat fighters are Luigi, MK, DK, Marth, Ike, Jiggs, Falcon, Wario, Kirby, Bowser, and Sonic. Who of them would you take here over Brinstar, Delfino, etc.?
Good question! Delfino is tricky. A lot of characters can take advantage from it. One thing you can go for is whether or not your opponent has a good waterspike. Ike does, for instance. Then, you have to think about the range you want to be in, and about aerial mobility. Brinstar is a level that is very up-close and personal, a very tight level. As such, Bowser would be a good choice to take here - his already lacking mobility is hurt by the low amount of space... But, you also have to think about how comfortable you are on each stage.

Basically... CP PS1 against: Ike, MK, Sonic, Marth, DK and maybe Kirby. I wouldn't ban PS1, since while it's a good camping stage, I find Final Destination and Lylat Cruise much more annoying stages.

Reasons: you need the space to get your spacing right against characters like Ike, MK and Marth. I don't want to take Sonic to Brinstar, Delfino is also a good option. I don't want DK on Brinstar OR Delfino (good DK stages). As for Kirby... It's a hunch. I wouldn't know, but I think Kirby would have more advantage on Brinstar

Top Bottom