• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamerzlivelounge Tournament - Sterling Heights, MI- 7/05/08 - SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Data can be very useful. For the most part, I learn it, tell everyone else about it, and then choose to ignore it when I actually play.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I just found it funny because M2K was also very good at Melee... That and I've heard Vayseth say some pretty asinine things about Brawl before, regardless of how much he knows about it now. :O

Sliq

Smash Master
In the end it is true, it is HIS tournament, but that is sort of a selfish way to run a tournament.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Every post Sliq has ever made has been serious. Including this one.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Taking half of the pot (lol), banning things mid-tournament (double-lol) and banning thing for arbitrary reasons ("I don't like it/It's a glitch/People have whined!" - triple-, quadruple- and quintuple-lol) aside, here's something even more important:
It's obvious Khan doesn't know much about Brawl.

Stay with me here. It's OK to not know everything (currently known) about Brawl. Very few people do. It's even OK to know very little about Brawl. It's even OK to know very little about Brawl and host a tournament for Brawl.

I've done this with many games in the past when asked to. What's important is knowing how to look up the correct rulesets. It's OK if you don't know what should and shouldn't be banned at tournaments, but if you're gonna host a tournament, especially one where there's money involved, you should at least know how to look up the correct rules and educate yourself on them at least superficially before hosting said tournament.

If you don't, then get someone who does to either co-host or write the rules for you and to be your counsel should you need to ask him about something.

If you'd researched Competitive Smash to find out what's tourney-legal and what's not (and what goes on at tournaments, like, say, Snakedashing, which is very common) or at least gotten someone who did/knew to help you, none of this would have happened.

Tournament organizers should do more than go on personal opinions and limited personal knowledge. Especially when there's money involved. I've hosted tournaments in games I don't play where I've done more research than Khan obviously did for Brawl even when they didn't involve money.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did you seriously ban mortar sliding? halfway through the tournament?

that's jacked up if you did.

I'll suggest to the rest of the midwest not to go to your tournaments if they are this scrub.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I just found it funny because M2K was also very good at Melee... That and I've heard Vayseth say some pretty asinine things about Brawl before, regardless of how much he knows about it now. :O
LOLz, I know exactly what you're talking about XD No, I suck at this game (especially in singles) and if I say things like, "That's it, I'm banning Luigi's Mansion" it was obviously in jest. I'm trying to learn how to get better, but the game is still pretty out there for me. I have the knowledge, but none of the execution.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pfft, who needs execution? Execution is for people who have a good DACUS and Ness Lucas players.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
LOLz, I know exactly what you're talking about XD No, I suck at this game (especially in singles) and if I say things like, "That's it, I'm banning Luigi's Mansion" it was obviously in jest. I'm trying to learn how to get better, but the game is still pretty out there for me. I have the knowledge, but none of the execution.
No, it's cool, man. I understand. There are lots of players like that. Overswarm was sorta like that with Melee. He wasn't the best at actually winning but he knew more facts about the game than most people in the Midwest.

I'm not looking to clash with you. You just kinda rubbed me the wrong way with some johns last time I was at Rofa's. I realize everyone has their moments and I'm sure plenty of people think the same thing about me sometimes.

No hard feelings, I guess. :)

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman
i'll rub you the wrong way, i suck at brawl.
so does michigan.
not counting a few players.
maybe.
nope. they all suck.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i would attend one of those tournies but i main snake and i mortar slide a lot so now i dont feel like going.
is meta knights infinite dimessional cape banned too?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait, did I just see the TO argue that glitches are bad and needs to be universally banned from Competitive play? I'm sorry, how long have you been a part of Competitive gaming, again, KhanSphere?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
They're run to make a new thread already. This one is pretty much dead. The next one is quite fun, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom