• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamepro's Good, Bad, Ugly of Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
GOOD:
1. New features like stage building and online
2. Multitude of Control Options
3. Most diverse roster ever
4. Good Soundtrack

BAD:
1. Old favorites might not make the cut
2. Assist trophies are not much different than poke balls
3. Stage builder is simplistic
4. Story mode might be bad like melee's.

UGLY:
1. No decent online options
2. Gameplay hasn't evolved much
3. Motion control is barely utilized
4. Three Kirby Characters
Source

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? This is why Brawl isn't going to get the scores that it deserves. The reviewers are going to be ignorant. We all know it.

BAD:

Yes they will. Perhaps only Ness won't make it, but he will probably be in the game one way or another.

2. Assist trophies are not much different than poke balls

You should be thankful that they are there at all.

3. Stage builder is simplistic

Same as above.

Die.

UGLY:
1. No decent online options

Again, the fact that we have online at all is great. What else do you want? We have 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and Free for all. As well, there all the co-op things! What more do you want?

Ever hear of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, Halo's gameplay hasn't evolved much, and that didn't stop everyone from cranking it's scores.
3. Motion control is barely utilized

Um...can you tell me with a straight face that you want motion control with Brawl? Seriously? Also, at least it's there! Everyone is going to use GC controllers, but for the 20 people who only have a Wiimote+Nunchuk, there is motion control.

4. Three Kirby Characters

It's a shame that Brawl is being criticized because of the things above. What do you guys think about it?

Eagle

Smash Lord
. . .

Wow. . .

"Story mode might be bad like melee's."

I doubt that so much.

Garuda

Smash Ace
................Bad story? But most of all, three Kirby characters? What the freaking crap?

Actually, I once saw a few videos of them at the Media Summit, and THEY COULD NOT PLAY FOR ****. And of course, they gave Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly a high score on PS2, a very low one on GameCube even though it sucked either way but was more tolerable on GameCube... I'm going off the topic here, but my point? Don't trust GamePro's judgment for ANYTHING. They don't know squat about games... kind of a misleading name, wouldn't you say?

...I just remembered I used to have a subscription to GamePro, and now I'm even more proud that I don't any longer.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
That **** isn't going to matter once they experience the gameplay. If gameplay is good, the game will get good reviews. Simple as that.

Zek

Smash Ace
That's ********, but there are bound to be worse reviews than that when the game is out no matter how good it is. No point getting upset over it.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
Anth0ny said:

Ever hear of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, Halo's gameplay hasn't evolved much, and that didn't stop everyone from cranking it's scores.
THANK YOU!

Halo : Combat Evolved MY ***!

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a bunch of abysmal so-called 'writers', with a very restrictive rating system. Clearly they're feeling the pressure to grind even the most flawless games through their incredibly limiting 'technique' for marking games, though it seems to simply encourage ridiculous, and easily non-constructive criticism.

People who write with a grid on their system, will perform their job as if they have a grid up their backside.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
That's horrible. I've never liked GamePro and now I have another reason why. There is so much wrong in all of that. They're just trying too hard to knock on the game. Read GI instead.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice

This is the only legit complaint. Brawl will have best online Wii has to date on a game. You can make platforms in stage builder, that is all you need.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well... I have to agree with them on Assist Trophies.

You know why? Their nicknames are dream breakers!

GOROH, ANYONE?!?

Also, notice "Most diverse roster EVER."

Exaggeration, or hardcore awesomeness too come?

Either way, Gamespot will, yet again, under review this gem...

When it comes to gaming, leave it comes to gamers. When it comes to writing, leave it to writers. When it comes to grossly unresearched and bias writing, leave it to gross bias writers who don't research.
Some writers in the video game community aren't to be trusted. Ever.

spindash

Smash Ace
I'm never an incredibly harsh person...but...

Holy crap. Give the ******* some goddang education because that is the most pathetic piece of filth I've seen in regards of a highly-hyped video game such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Every game has SOME form of a flaw here and there, but there is no justice for such ridiculous reasonings to the potentially bad review this site will give. Three Kirby Characters. By god, if that's not sarcasm, I truly wish that I could crank The Terminator music on maximum and whip out a shotgun on these poor little souls.

There are some legit downsides SUCH as the not all characters returning ordeal. BUt practically the rest is unexcusable.

People these days... -_-

Zodiac

Smash Master
I'd like to take this oppurtunity to say that MOST EVERY SINGLE game review sites have a multitude of bias fan boys. gamespot for example are a bunch of xbox/graphic buffs, the fairest review site i've seen is by FAR ign.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
While I can't image it having a good story, it will be fun to play, and still leaps and bounds over melee's.

Who the **** cares about story in a fighting game, anyways? At best they're like schizophrenic soap operas, only with less beatings.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
No need to get worked up over it...

Some people are just haters like that...

Just don't support their magazine/website etc...

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Liked I have said on Previus threads:

Most Online reviewers are VERY subjective.

They dont follow an objective list of key aspects to analize or critique, and are scored based on the OPINION of a (bad) reviewer.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
While those of us here at SmashBoards may disagree with all that's been said, keep in mind that it's still just opinion. Don't let it get to you. You know better. You know that the game is going to rock regardless, and that it's going to be a best seller, so just take the hit and move on.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
This is EXACTLY whyI'm trying to be a game journalist. I'm getting sick of all these idiots that don't know what they're talking about. Please, I'm not doing this to get attention, I just want my voice heard. Please, go read my blog (my sig) and find the "Sad Smash Reviews" blog. Send it to others. Hopefully, one way or another, it will reach one game journalist. Hopefully.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
yeah wow those are really bad reasons lol. Aside from maybe online not as deep as it should be everything else there is bs.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
complaining because of three kirby characters, the stage builder not being exactly the same as the one from THPS2, and because it is technically possible for the story mode to not be good, even though all signs post the other way.

just there way of saying lesser graphics and not FPS-ness makes it bad. they'll still give it a 9 though

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
my allergy is gettin up again.. allergic to bull**** that is o.o

ShadeofDante

Smash Cadet
Honestly though people, do we WANT this game to get overhyped like Halo? Who cares if the magazines give it a bad score, we'll all love it. And all the people who we want to play the game will know not to pay attention to the reviews. It's a blessing in disguise.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
GamePro is just poorly made to begin with... whoever their art director is and has been since I was a child just does not know how to arrange **** on a cover. Ick.

GI's alright but they're kidna force-fed since you get it with an EDGE CARD.

EGM's entertaining, so I go with them.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice

But wait! I thought Halo was "Combat Evolved" :laugh:

I don't care what the reviewers say. My local GameStop has 350+ copies already reserved ... they had about 400 for Halo 3, which if anyone noticed, was the biggest, most-anticipated video game to date. If Brawl sells anywhere near as well as Halo 3 or even if it doesn't, I'm going to be a happy camper ... I'll have Brawl and I'll be enjoying it, even if a bunch of game reviewers aren't. =P

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
They'll be too blind to give Brawl the score it deserves. Seriously, Halo has not evolved much in gameplay if not at all. They basically add more items with each sequel.
No offense to halo fans, i enjoy the series but i'm just sick of gamepro desperate to find reasons to give brawl a pathetic score to the extent of assuming possible flaws while contradicting themselves with excuses like "motion control is barely utilized." They've criticized so many wii games for bad and gimmicky controls and now they say the opposite?
By saying things like "might be bad" and "three kirby characters", it just shows that they don't want to admit that Brawl is 2008's GOTY..

shinzou

Smash Cadet
Yeah... Gamepro don't know anything. And how is 2 kirby characters a bad thing... i'msooo gunna track dem down and kill ''em if they think dats bad...:mad:

Maben

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with Penguyen here. I am a 360 owner and I'm a Halo fan, but they really didn't exactly "revolutionize" the series with Halo 3. They added some items and brought back a few old weapons and a few new weapons. The combat is the same, and to change it would be wrong.

Let's see...Brawl is:
*Bringing back old characters, bringing in new characters
*Bringing back old items, bringing in new items
*Combat is same as we love, knocking each other off stages while racking up percentages

BIG NEW STUFF:
*Wifi play
*Story mode, very in-depth
*LOTS of co-op play, in nearly every game aspect
*Stage builder
*Customizable controls
*Final Smashes (controversial or not, they are a big new addition to the smash series)

Mama

Smash Ace
Lol. Well reviews should be pooled together from more than one place when it comes to cases like this. Gamepro probably doesn't have anyone thats plays Smash bros all that much so they'll be rating it on a casual players point of view. EGM on the other hand seems to try a little harder but they're still shaking off that anti Nintendo campaign they had going on a while ago.

I wont bother touching on everything but I will say that some reviewers look toward innovative play for franchises that look like they've got something to prove while they just look at what features are new on high selling franchises so as not to displease their readers too much.

Halo 3 didn't evolve all that much in terms of mechanics but its still fun (extremely) and I guess you could say they were rating it on its replay and fun factor rather than other things.

(On an unrelated note CoD:4 > Halo 3 lol)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Lol, anyone else notice that "The ugly" is just another "The bad" section?
You're an idiot. The point of "The Ugly" section is that those things are supposedly even worse than the things in "The Bad" section.

Judging from your sn though. You're a DBZ fan. I suppose I can't expect much out of you.

Go watch a Western please.

And on topic, ya, that list pretty much sucks, especially the Kirby part. Considering that Dedede and Metaknight are some very good additions considering the fact that Kirby has had only one character in the past two games.

JoeyJoeJoeJr

Smash Rookie
The annoying thing is people will read crap like this on gamepro,gamespot, ect. and decide against the wii and smashbros, which means less money for nintendo and less of a games budget.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I too don't think we need 3 Kirby characters, Kirby and Meta Knight are enough, but as long as everyone else gets fair representation, it's all good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom