• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamepro's Good, Bad, Ugly of Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mark

Smash Apprentice
You're an idiot. The point of "The Ugly" section is that those things are supposedly even worse than the things in "The Bad" section.

Judging from your sn though. You're a DBZ fan. I suppose I can't expect much out of you.

Go watch a Western please.

And on topic, ya, that list pretty much sucks, especially the Kirby part. Considering that Dedede and Metaknight are some very good additions considering the fact that Kirby has had only one character in the past two games.
Wow harsh much?

I think you are the idiot my friend. The bad and the ugly section are in terms pretty much the same thing. How come Gamepro doesn't have two sections for good things?

Protip: Gamepro is bias.

shinnok-fan64

Smash Apprentice
I used to like Gamepro, until they pull crap like this.

AT's are going to be awesome, i'm glad they have them, same thing with Stage Builder. Online might not be as big as Halo, but at least it's there, and offers many options. SSE will be better easily than Melee's story mode, and the gameplay didn't need to evolve because it was already great.

Gamepro does have pretty sucky reviews.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Thats why I stopped getting Gamepro... I only get Xbox magazine now though.

Your reasons are as good as mine buddy.

-Onyx

Reyairia

Smash Champion
This totally made me LOL.
1. Old favorites might not make the cut
First of all, you're downgrading this game because of an assumption. Just because something MIGHT happen does not mean it will, so downgrading a game cause of that is stupid.
Secondly, if you have done the research it isn't an assumption, fine. However, yeah, old faves won't make the cut. But Sakurai will bring more characters to make up for it.

2. Assist trophies are not much different than poke balls
So?

3. Stage builder is simplistic
I'm guessing the game wouldn't get downgraded if there wasn't a stagebuilder at all then?
4. Story mode might be bad like melee's.
See #1

4. Three Kirby Characters.
And there were fouur Mario representatives in Melee, and three for Legend of Zelda. What's so bad about that?

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
What Game Pro sucks balls they suck at life they dont know how to not suck

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
You're an idiot. The point of "The Ugly" section is that those things are supposedly even worse than the things in "The Bad" section.

Judging from your sn though. You're a DBZ fan. I suppose I can't expect much out of you.

And on topic, ya, that list pretty much sucks, especially the Kirby part. Considering that Dedede and Metaknight are some very good additions considering the fact that Kirby has had only one character in the past two games.
I KNOW about Clint Eastwood's "The good, the bad and the ugly".
That doesn't mean Gamepro didn't use "the ugly" as a continuation of "the bad".
There are two sections for bad, and one section for good. That is all I was saying,
Gamepro is bias. And to think you stand up for these xbox junkies simply because of
my screen name that I've had for 2 years that you CAN'T CHANGE. I think you're the idiot here.

Have a nice day.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
They're probably pulling stuff out of nowhere to just make some downsides to the game. That list is a disgrace.

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
This is pathetic. I haven't read this kind of crap in ages. Simply pathetic.

THREE KIRBY REPS? You call that a bad thing!!!! Then F OFF ****TY NOOBS!

Bad story mode
-____-*

That's just wannabe good speculation or sumthing. That's the ****tiest thing i've read in a while =)

Just LOL

M.K

Level 55
This is so freaking infuriating.

I mean, in EVERY OTHER **** WII GAME, they complain about MOTION SENSITIVE CONTROLS. Now, with Brawl, they are complaining about NOT HAVING MOTION CONTROLS?

It's ****ing outrageous. Stupid ****ers, can go to ****ed hell.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm never an incredibly harsh person...but...

Holy crap. Give the ******* some goddang education because that is the most pathetic piece of filth I've seen in regards of a highly-hyped video game such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Every game has SOME form of a flaw here and there, but there is no justice for such ridiculous reasonings to the potentially bad review this site will give. Three Kirby Characters. By god, if that's not sarcasm, I truly wish that I could crank The Terminator music on maximum and whip out a shotgun on these poor little souls.

There are some legit downsides SUCH as the not all characters returning ordeal. BUt practically the rest is unexcusable.

People these days... -_-
QFT.

Gamepro is made of epic phail.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Stage builder is simplistic, are you kidding me? Oh sorry if you can't put lava from Metroid or the Tree from Kirby's Dreamland in your stage...

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
If the "reviewers" that made this were standing right next to me, I would use an assist trophy and pwn them with kirby characters on a stage that i made and then in story mode. And all of this will be online and with the gameplay that hasn't evolved much.

Blackadder

Smash Master

Woah, dude, chill out. The guy said "Notice how the Ugly section is the same as the Bad section?". That's really no reason to lash out at him for that, and then hit a really trivial reason like the kinda cartoons he watches.

Be nice. It makes life that much easier. :)

And the guy that did that review is nuts. I like how he fits "Might" into a lot of his ideas. "Might" have a bad storyline..."Might" not have old favorites come back...
Hehheh.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Only legit bad was the fact that Sakurai is cutting Melee characters, IMO one in Smash always in Smash and all 20 something from Melee should make it back (Makeovers would be nice though).

Mega Inkydog

Smash Journeyman
2. Gameplay hasn't evolved much
Since when does a sequel need to have a MAJOR Gameplay change to be a good game? That's why Pokemon gets attacked unfairly. It's like they are making excuses for the game to be bashed. That's why I hate innovation whores. They always HAVE to slam anything that is the same as before. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Do they even realize that a Major gameplay change can screw up Brawl majorly. They have to stick to what WORKS!

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
Source

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? This is why Brawl isn't going to get the scores that it deserves. The reviewers are going to be ignorant. We all know it.

BAD:
1. Old favorites might not make the cut

Yes they will. Perhaps only Ness won't make it, but he will probably be in the game one way or another.

2. Assist trophies are not much different than poke balls

You should be thankful that they are there at all.

3. Stage builder is simplistic

Same as above.

4. Story mode might be bad like melee's.

Die.

UGLY:
1. No decent online options

Again, the fact that we have online at all is great. What else do you want? We have 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 and Free for all. As well, there all the co-op things! What more do you want?

2. Gameplay hasn't evolved much

Ever hear of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, Halo's gameplay hasn't evolved much, and that didn't stop everyone from cranking it's scores.
3. Motion control is barely utilized

Um...can you tell me with a straight face that you want motion control with Brawl? Seriously? Also, at least it's there! Everyone is going to use GC controllers, but for the 20 people who only have a Wiimote+Nunchuk, there is motion control.

4. Three Kirby Characters

It's a shame that Brawl is being criticized because of the things above. What do you guys think about it?

we'll they're not all wrong

- old characters really MIGHT not make it
- no fighting game has a good story, when was the last time u beat the final guy and said "wow what a deep storyline"? never
- the online really is crap until we can MAKE friends of good brawl players we find online and chat with ur buddies without having to private chat on ur 360

as for the rest, i don' see how the assist trophies are bad. maybe unoriginal, but not bad. the stage builder is as developed as it could be. it's a 2D game, they're giving us everything they can. they were probably just trying to be funny with the kirby thing, and like u said, the gameplay in melee was perfect imo and i don't see why they would change it. regardless, it won't be portrayed like halo3 was because gamepro is more for casual gamers/jocks/frat boys who like crap for games.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This seems all good and wise until some kid gets ***** by a pedophile trolling the free-talking Brawl online. :)
I actually like the idea of not knowing who you are playing. The only reason it is good to know is to either meet people online (got meet people in real life) or to brag about how good you are at the game (get a life).

Linkeatspie

Smash Apprentice
X Freakin D what a joke! Old favorites might not make the cut? Only Ness most likely! Stage builder is simplistic? What?! A. We haven't even seen the full features of the stage builder and B. you should be very happy we actually have a stage builder!

I could agree with the online play (I wouldn't call it ugly though), as I was expecting more out of a franchise like Smash, but then again it is Nintendo...

Story mode might be bad like melee's? We haven't even played it yet and people are making assumptions about it. I'm sure he's seen like one SSE trailer. It is shaping up to pretty cool.

And the gamplay hasn't evolved enough? From what I've heard from gimpyfish, it's quite different from melee (at least the physics), and anyway, look at Halo and Madden: Those are remashes yet they rank high and sell really well.

What a bunch of garbage.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't understand how they can claim that the game hasn't changed much since the last one when there are a lot of significant changes to the game. Secondly, the changes made between Halo 2 and Halo 3 were minimal as well, yet it receives a 4.8 (out of 5).

I also like how they can only speculate the "badness" of the story mode, yet apparently they haven't played it. What kind of biased **** is that? Also, on the stage builder comment... Of course it's simple! If it were overly complex then it would drive people away from it.

Argh, this makes me want to punch these *******s. Yeah, wtf Gamepro.
This seems all good and wise until some kid gets ***** by a pedophile trolling the free-talking Brawl online. :)
I ask this, where the **** are the parents? You can't blame Nintendo for ****ty parental involvement and ******* little kids.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Have they tested the Stage Builder? No
Have they played the "Story" mode? No

They have no right to complain about these aspects until they have experienced them. They're just the sort of journalists that make big noise to try and lure people to them

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I'm going to look at it in a more professional way. Based on this, I would surely give up my subscription for the magazine. It's one of the reasons I don't like to read multi-platform magazines that much.

Nintendo magazines are a better way of rating the game. They know the Nintendo philosophy, they know how to rate a certain game.

In Holland, we have the Power Unlimited and GMR. I never read GMR, but I think it goes the same as with the Power Unlimited. In the Power Unlimited we have some reviewers who dedicate themselves to MMO games, some who play racing or sports games, there was one person who knew how to rate football games (soccer games for you yanks), and we have a Nintendo reviewer. This Nintendo reviewer isn't there to up the scale for the Nintendo games. He's there to show a better view of Nintendo games. Who else can review Nintendo first- or second-party games better than a Nintendo player? I believe he was the one who gave Pokémon Battle Revolution a 50 out of 100.

This way people can somewhat avoid a bias stamp on a magazine. A bias can literally kill your reputation. Power Unlimited nearly lost credibility because of the bias they used to have, mostly against the PS3. However, after their statement of giving the PS3 a fair shot, at least for me they regained their credibility a bit. And so far, they don't rate PS3 games any lower than the other consoles.

So, to keep it short, if Gamepro really is that biased, it's a worthless piece of crap, and loses its journalistic value. Of course, game reviews, or any reviews are subject to some personal opinion, but there is a limit between opinion and subjectiveness. Besides, you don't let a movie critic rate a book, now do you?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
They have no right to complain about these aspects until they have experienced them. They're just the sort of journalists that make big noise to try and lure people to them
This is true.

It also makes me question how much have they had access to. Have they had access to anything yet? Have they played just the demo? Who knows at this point, given the fact that it's obvious that they are speculating that some things are "bad" without trying it out yet.

volbound1700

Smash Master
GameFAQs also said Ocarina of Time was best game ever right?

Better than Mario 3 for NES... no
Better than Civilization II ... no
Better than Sim City 2000 ... no
Better than original LoZ ... no
Better than Doom2 .... no
Better than Goldeneye ... no
Better than Age of Empires II ... no

I mean they predicted Super Mario Galaxy second best game ever as soon as it was released... comeon.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I ask this, where the **** are the parents? You can't blame Nintendo for ****ty parental involvement and ******* little kids.
Yes, it's very true that we SHOULD blame the parents if they're letting their kid meet up with some stranger from the internet. However, Nintendo's responsibility or not, avoiding the problem all together is the absolute safest route. I won't lie; I'd like some random trash talking too, but because there is a chance that some sort of online predator could use it (slim as it may be), to keep the younger players safe, I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
This is true.

It also makes me question how much have they had access to. Have they had access to anything yet? Have they played just the demo? Who knows at this point, given the fact that it's obvious that they are speculating that some things are "bad" without trying it out yet.
More than likely they're just going off of the Dojo.

I know how magazines such as this work, I've worked on several. They do get a lot of stuff from online sources

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes, it's very true that we SHOULD blame the parents if they're letting their kid meet up with some stranger from the internet. However, Nintendo's responsibility or not, avoiding the problem all together is the absolute safest route. I won't lie; I'd like some random trash talking too, but because there is a chance that some sort of online predator could use it (slim as it may be), to keep the younger players safe, I'm willing to make the sacrifice.
Parents today are garbage, I was lucky to have very good ones but most parents are so selfish and egotistical it is not funny. Most of it is that generation that grew up in 60s and 70s that care about nothing but money and themselves. Hopefully, things will get better when that generation dies off.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
More than likely they're just going off of the Dojo.
In all honesty... this makes me sad.

Oh well, I hope they lose a lot of traffic for being ********.
Hopefully, things will get better when that generation dies off.
Considering how things are going it seems more like we are still in a downward spiral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom