• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gameplay USA + GTZ [Western MA] Smash Brawl Singles Tournament

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
[Please insert hype here]
[Enter]

My fellow Smashers, my name is GTZ, and I have noticed a severe lack of tournaments in the MA area. I mean sure there are a few, but most of western MA is d-e-a-d when it comes to Brawl. I mean to change that, and change it with style. My approach may be a bit unorthodox, but I will do my best to establish some serious interest in this new tournaments series.

BRING SETUPS, AND GUESS WHAT??? YEAH! I DID IT; VENUE FEES ARE DROPPED, but only IF YOU BRING A WII + TOURNAMENT APPROVED TV + BRAWL DISC + ALL STAGES +CHAR UNLOCKED, YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY A VENUE FEE.. Please bear in mind that we may need extension cords and power strips too...

So many of you may be asking the normal questions: location, price, who's going, etc. The location is GamePlay USA, in the Eastfield Mall in Springfield, MA. There is an abundance of parking, and the store itself is [by actual retail space/area] the largest videogame store in Massachusetts. Venue fees are dropped if you bring setups, and depending on overall attendance are subject to changing before a final decision is made. I can assure you that the venue fee will not exceed $5, and that individual prize pool entries will not be more than $10. The standard ruleset (borrowed from the Worcester DNA thread/Bizkit's tournament post, thanks Bizkit) is applied and will be enforced.

Tournament Ruleset:

- All Matches are 3 stock, 8 minutes, with items set to off and none. All matches are best 2/3 except for Winners/Losers/Grand Finals which are best 3/5.

- In the event of a dispute for controller ports, rock-paper-scissors or a coin flip will be used. In teams, one team gets Ports 1 & 4, the other gets Ports 2 & 3.

- In the event of a tie, determine by stocks, then percent. If a tie still exists, play a 1 stock 3 minute match on the same stage with the same characters to determine the winner. If both players die simultaneously without a suicide move, a 1 stock 3 minute match on the same stage will be played.

- For character specific suicide moves (Bowser, DDD, Ganon, Kirby) if it's done on the last stock, the character who initiated the move wins the match.

- Any action that causes the game to become unplayable (glitching, freezing) will count as a forfeit of the match for the person who initiated the action.

- Metaknight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch is banned.

* - Excessive stalling and planking are banned. (T.O.s discretion) The 40 ledge grab rule will be in effect for singles. If a player grabs the ledge more than 40 times and the games time runs out, that player loses the match. For doubles, double planking is banned. This means both teammates cannot plank at the same time. If you believe you are being stalled or planked, pause the match and call over a TO.

** - Scrooging is banned.

- Dedede's standing and small step chain grabs are banned. Ice Climber's chain grabs and wall infinites/locks are NOT banned. Wall infinites/locks are not banned because no legal stages have perma-walls. All infinites/locks must end before 300% or it will be considered stalling.

- If you accidentally pause the match during an Ice Climbers chain grab while trying to break free, causing the ICs to mess it up, they will get a free chance to re-grab you. Please be careful about breaking out of grabs.

- If your match is called and you don't show up within 5 minutes, you will be DQed from the set. If you are leaving the venue, please tell a TO.

- BYOC (Bring your own controller).

- If you see someone doing something that is not permitted, please inform a TO and they will take care of it.

- When playing opponents, do not yell in their ear/face or touch them while playing. Doing so will count as a forfeit of the match. Screaming while getting chain grabbed by IC/DDD/Falco/etc is fine, as long as it's not in the opponents face. This applies to spectators of the match too.

- Players who use the Wiimote MUST take the batteries out of the Wiimote when not playing. If the Wiimote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.

- Coaching is allowed if either both players have a coach, or both players agree to it. If a player does not want their match to have coaches, that is fine.

- If a Wii has textures or custom music, a player may choose to have them turned off before their set. This can be done easily by taking out the SD card and loading up the character select screen again.

- No subbing is allowed.

* - Planking is repeatedly grabbing the ledge multiple times in a row to avoid contact with the opponent. You do not have to approach the opponent, but you may not plank on the ledge. Planking is also a form of stalling. Planking is also banned in doubles (if both teammates are doing it). Stalling is avoiding all conflict.

** - Scrooging is repeatedly gliding under a stage to the other side to avoid contact with the opponent. This is a form of stalling and is banned.

*Additional Doubles Rules*

- Team Attack is set to On

- Share Stock is allowed

- Controller ports are done in the 1-2-2-1 order only. If a team wishes to get the higher port, they can do rock-paper-scissors or a coin flip for it.

- Chibo's Color Blind Rule: If a player wishes to request their team or opponents team to be a specific color due to difficulty to see their characters (Lucario, Sonic, etc), they may do so.

*Match Procedure*

*1. Players make their character choices for the first match.

2. Players start stage striking the neutral stages until one neutral stage remains. The strike format is Player 1 strikes 1 stage, Player 2 strikes 2 stages, and Player 1 strikes one more.

3. After first game, the winner bans a stage from the Neutral or Counterpick stage list.

4. The loser of previous match announces their stage choice.

5. The winner of previous match chooses their character.

6. The losers of previous match chooses their character and begins the next match.

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches.

*For the first game, double blind character select can be used. This is where both players tell someone who they are using so that their opponent will not know their character for the first game.

**No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both/all players.

*Legal Stages*

•Neutrals

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

•Counter Picks

Pokémon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

•All other stages are banned

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll do what I can. We could always use more venues for the New England community.

allisbrawl.com

It is definitely recommended that you visit this site. It's easily the more used site for Brawl players than Smashboards is. You can post a tournament event there as well; you will definitely attract more players this way. Gamefaqs, friendcodes, and Facebook are also good alternatives.

~~~~~~~~

It seems that the venue owner has a positive attitude towards holding tournaments for the community to partake in. Which is a really good thing, yet also an underestimated attribute in order for a venue to truly reach its potential. However, you just need to ensure that the venue owner will be willing to respect our community, instead of just being in it for the money then proceeding to shove us aside like low-life trash. We'll be bringing them business via venue fee hehe. Just the thought of an ecstatic group of gamers coming to their establishment would be providing them business as well. Credibility much? All in all, we're a chill community and the owner should accept us ^_^

Also, make sure the owner is notified on what's going to be happening at the tournament. Tell him the expected turnout, how tournaments are run, what setups they need (Wii's, TV's), the daily time period, etc. Coming to DNA9 this weekend will really give you further insight on what you need to do.

I assume you already have a date in mind, otherwise what's the point of posting this thread? You wouldn't want to over-hype this venue and get your hopes up too much only to find yourself with no venue if that circumstance were to happen. You never know what could happen lol.

If all goes well, update this thread with a posted ruleset. Even if we can all assume the Brawl community knows the rules/stages/etc, you should still post a ruleset - for convenience mostly. It would make the thread and you look better haha.

Venue fee should be $5. $10 is just too much, you could see a decrease in attendance due to "not enough money" complaints. Waive the venue fee for smashers who bring setups; this will help the tournament run faster and smoother with more setups. I'll leave the payouts, singles/doubles entries, and the rest up to you... to test you mostly kekeke.

It's also good how you took the location of the venue into account. Unfortunately, sometimes location can't be helped. But if it's a great venue, people will want to go to it regardless of location. I'll be looking GamePlay up myself, gonna look for venue pictures. Speaking of that, post venue pics in the OP as well. Mention any nearby restaurants/fast-food places nearby. CREATE A WITTY NAME hehe. Oh and, PARKING!

That's all I got for now. Most of this **** is just common sense anyway. GL

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Most of what BC said is true. It's nice to see someone stepping up in western MA to hold tourneys again. Lemme nitpick a few things, though so that you get the most out of this...

First thing I noticed immediately. You said LCDs don't lag with the Wii. That is very untrue. The technology of the Wii was not designed for HD TVs, specifically the resolution. If the TV does not native display in 480p, there will be very slight lag. It has to scale it, de-interlace it, etc. You can minimize the lag with a few methods, but it still exists. Most competitive Brawl players will refuse to play on LCDs. If you're not big on noticing frame differences, then the lag isn't that bad, but to many good players in Brawl, the lag difference is very noticeable and can greatly affect how they play.

You can solve this by telling the community to bring setups. If the venue owner allows it, tell them if they bring a TV + Wii, they get half off venue (or free venue if it's $5). Otherwise, just push it so that there are CRTs. Casual players don't mind the lag, but like I said, the more competitive players refuse to play on LCDs, myself included.

Next, post your tourney on Smashboards AND allisbrawl. Try to post it on Facebook and maybe even Gamefaqs too. Only do this when you finalize the tourney date and details. This thread right now contains no real info on the tourney itself, it only tell us there will be a tourney someday in western MA. When you finalize all the details, I suggest updating the thread with it all and posting it on aib, etc. For reference, go here for NE tourney listings: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=126751

As for the rule set, I suggest you use New England's current standard rule set. Located here: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=156777 . If you type out your own rule set, you may miss some rules that players can (and will) abuse.

If you can, get pics of the venue to post. A lot of players (and sometimes parents of the younger gamers) like to see what the venue looks like to make sure it's legit and big enough. Is the venue big enough to hold 30+ people? Will it have chairs so players don't have to stand? Etc. You can never have enough information on a venue.

That's about it right now. If you're coming to DNA9, you'll see what a good tourney scenario looks like. You're welcome to discuss it with me too.

So Fatal

Smash Master
why are you sponsored by them? and for what?

also I don't like the sound of "There will be some cash prizes involved"

unless thats an addition to the pot

October 30th is open

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
wow, awesome, some good feedback.. I'm extremely new to the community and for tournaments. I will take all the advice I see. Cash prizes means a pot, LoL, sorry. Yeah the TVs were wishful thinking, I checked them out yesterday and you guys are right, there is a small lag.. ****.. well I'm sure the venue doesn't mind at all, I have like 5 wiis in reserve. I haven't been on much since I work 2nd shift.. ughh.. I was originally thinking for mid-Oct, but I probably need more time to finalize the dates/times/etc. It is 90% certain to be at the specified location "GamePlay" USA. The "sponsoring" is only skin deep right now, I am trying to help promote them in return for some free stuff and discounts.. In terms of smash I have been wanting to organize a respectable tournament for a while now, so keep the advice coming in, because out here in western MA there isn't that much going on...

ErikG

Smash Ace
wow, awesome, some good feedback.. I'm extremely new to the community and for tournaments. I will take all the advice I see. Cash prizes means a pot, LoL, sorry. Yeah the TVs were wishful thinking, I checked them out yesterday and you guys are right, there is a small lag.. ****.. well I'm sure the venue doesn't mind at all, I have like 5 wiis in reserve. I haven't been on much since I work 2nd shift.. ughh.. I was originally thinking for mid-Oct, but I probably need more time to finalize the dates/times/etc. It is 90% certain to be at the specified location "GamePlay" USA. The "sponsoring" is only skin deep right now, I am trying to help promote them in return for some free stuff and discounts.. In terms of smash I have been wanting to organize a respectable tournament for a while now, so keep the advice coming in, because out here in western MA there isn't that much going on...
Make sure the Wiis have everything unlocked.

It was mad annoying going to a tourney and the Wii they provided only had like 2 characters unlocked.

Tomahawkmansp

Smash Rookie
I believe I actually went to GamePlay, on September 4th,and actually suggested that they could hold a Brawl tournament.

Was one already suggested, when you found out about this place and inquired about one?

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
yeah, I was the original suggestor for this tournament at that location, I have my resume on file and have toured the back room + front several times.. originally I thought their TV's were sufficient, but they are all HD by nature, not the primitive 480p hd that my lcd runs without lag... so therefore I am looking to have people bring setups, which is typically the biggest setback. I have been permissions to assemble a tournament there once popularity rises enough. Assuming the pricing is right, the official details will be released soon.. I am unsure of the date/name/details yet.. I am editing some things as we speak.. I hope to make this tournament series grow exponentially over the course of some months. At the same time, I am hoping to eventually rank with my main in New England, so I guess whichever comes first... YOU say you're from Ludlow right, are you experienced at playing? maybe we should get together and play some Brawl matches sometime.

NEW TOURNAMENT POST, SEE ABOVE

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
hahaha hey Fatal.. I know you have been getting frusterated with the more local tourneys running on the same days as the MLG dates.. Let me assure you, and all other respected Brawl professionals that I will do my absolute best to isolate the date from any other tournaments, that's why its current status is an unannounced date, I am working out the details with GamePlay USA on a progessive basis.. are we going to friendly at the next DNA fatal?

Tomahawkmansp

Smash Rookie
@GTZ Yes I am indeed from Ludlow,and I do play Brawl and I have been practicing often but the saddest part is,and I am embarassed to say this but my Wii dosen't have internet,therefore I'm rarely able to practice against other actual players irl,and I'm often forced to practice various characters,on 3 stock no items,and on tournament legal stages....but the most embarassing part of it is that I've been mostly practicing on level 9 computers, when I constantly hear that you cannot get better unless you practice against players who can really kick your arse.

Feel free to laugh at this,but it is better than nothing I suppose.

Another thing is to find an appropriate date,as college school work and other daily life stuff can and might interfere with this.

One last thing for me to include is that I'm a smash tourny virgin,as if I do manage to enter this it'll be my very first.

I'd also assume I'd have to get used to using a GC controller as I got too comfortable with the wiimote as well.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
nahh, working out kinks with the venue owners.. I have to negotiate what they want for venue fees/etc.

Top Bottom