• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
There isn't really a timing to it; you just input an fsmash during the pivot animation.

If you're like me, I'm guessing the difference in timing from going "left to right+A" as opposed to "neutral to right+A" is throwing you off and resulting in accidental dash attacks or pivot ftilts. There's a few things that can make it easier:
  1. Let the stick return to neutral briefly, then quickly fsmash in the opposite direction. Be careful not to wait too long or you'll skid instead of pivot (slower)
  2. Pivot, let the stick return to neutral, then fsmash. Slower, but easy to input.
  3. C-stick it, if you aren't opposed to Smash stick.
Yeah, my problem seems to be the timing or where I let the stick to back to before the smash input. Problem is...I tried to let it return to neutral position, and I just skidded instead. How tight is the timing? From what I've done so far, it feels like it must be like 3 frames or less...

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Yeah, my problem seems to be the timing or where I let the stick to back to before the smash input. Problem is...I tried to let it return to neutral position, and I just skidded instead. How tight is the timing? From what I've done so far, it feels like it must be like 3 frames or less...
Should be a 5 frame window.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Hm...yet when I tried to press it faster (while still letting it return to neutral position), I just did a pivot ftilt instead. This is weird...
Do look into kara smashes too if this is an area you're currently working into your Corrin style. It's always mainly been something only Marths utilise but it gives Corrin a lot for the same reasons they use it. It gives another movement option for accurately spacing a tipper when you're not in the correct position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Two questions on Side B:

Is the Instant Pin attack really a 4-frame.
How do you land the Instant Pin TIPPER. It's so weird. It just hits when it wants to.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Two questions on Side B:

How do you land the Instant Pin TIPPER. It's so weird. It just hits when it wants to.
1. 4 frame attack, but you can't act during the first 4 frames of the special hop, so earliest it can be done is frame 8.
2. If you mean onstage, it's really precise; the sourspot takes priority over the tipper sweetspot and the sweetspot's mostly going to be in the ground, so you'd need immaculate spacing. If you mean tippering a ledgesnap, it just depends on where they're snapping to the ledge from.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Two questions on Side B:

Instant pin is 7-10 frames; the pin itself is frame 4 while the special hop is somewhere between frame 3-6.

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
So I've been wanting to incorporate pivot fsmashes into my repertoire, with all the interesting things Corrin can do with them. Problem is...I can't get a feel for the timing. Something tells me it's because I've never had it explained to me.

So in order to fix that: What is the exact timing for performing a pivot smash?
PIVOT SMASH EASY MODE:
In a patch, they added a new type of control option, A+B = Smash.
Basically when you press both a and B you do a smash attack in the direction your facing or whatever way your analog stick is pointing.
TURN THIS ON, IT MAKES PIVOT SMASHING 100% EASIER.
just dash in one direction, then flip the analog stick in the other direction then press a+b, no c-stick required so you can do this with tilt-stick aswell.

Trust me, im an olimar main, my gameplay is literally pivot f-smashing.

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
Not sure if discovered already but when your about to die off the side, jumping makes your live slightly longer (kind of how a villager using side-b to cut momentum to live longer)

Omega FD | Sonic Backthrow | Kill % w/ Perfect DI
Dies at 147%
When jumping, Dies at 154%

Living ~6% longer is pretty huge for just jumping to live in the blastzone, more so then any other character from there jump that i know of. (since corrin leans forward a bit and twirls when she jumps, moving her hurtbox away from the blastzone)

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Instant pin is 7-10 frames; the pin itself is frame 4 while the special hop is somewhere between frame 3-6.
@Oz IP was established as being 8 frames by Lavani Lavani .

But shhh don't tell anyone we have an 8 frame kill move with a tipper. It will only inspire more pay-to-win crying.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
@Oz IP was established as being 8 frames by Lavani Lavani .

But shhh don't tell anyone we have an 8 frame kill move with a tipper. It will only inspire more pay-to-win crying.
That's okay. Corrin is secretly sodium chloride-powered anyway. Kappa.

Erm, just so my post here is actually SOMEWHAT useful...

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Can instant pin be done out of short hop? I haven't been able to get it, but my fingers aren't too quick. It would be neat if it worked and could make it a 10 frame OoS option instead of a 15 frame one.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Can instant pin be done out of short hop? I haven't been able to get it, but my fingers aren't too quick. It would be neat if it worked and could make it a 10 frame OoS option instead of a 15 frame one.
Corrin can't pin the ground while rising from level ground, but aerial sideB is frame 10 and Corrin's jumpsquat is frame 6, making that method frame 16 at the quickest; dropping shield to instant pin would be faster anyway.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@Oz I made a thing for IP tipper after finding out I could see how far into the stage the spear stuck on 2D stages:

Zooming in on what's above ground...

You need to hit with that little purple bump without hitting them with the sourspot for an instant pin tipper, which is why it's so precise and inconsistent.

D

Deleted member 189823

I actually started practicing it after that. I got a lot better at it, but it was still inconsistent. Nice little tidbit there, it'll definitely come in handy.

Bilbao

Smash Rookie
NNID
sebastian.bilbao
3DS FC
2122-6607-0665
It is convenient for Corrin to use tap jump on ?

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Reminds me, I got someone today stuck by the Lunge at the edge. A tiny bit of the Spear was out on the edge and I pinned my opponent. It was weird.

I also feel the tipper is not that easy to land. I seen it whiff even when the point/shining animation touches my opponent (No phantom hit)

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I find it easier to buffer full hop uair after dtilt with tap jump on. I use it with every character for easier out of shield options but seeing as Corrin doesn't shine in that department it isn't useful as much. It's up to preference, really.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Can we please unanimously agree as a community to rename the dragon fang shot the Dragon Ball?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I find it easier to buffer full hop uair after dtilt with tap jump on. I use it with every character for easier out of shield options but seeing as Corrin doesn't shine in that department it isn't useful as much. It's up to preference, really.
That's why I keep a shoulder button set to jump. It's a bit awkward at first but if you could get used to it it's the optimal way to play

Bilbao

Smash Rookie
NNID
sebastian.bilbao
3DS FC
2122-6607-0665
We know that up air hitbox comes out in frame 7 but I think is a bit annoying that the animation comes out about frame 5-6 and there no hitbox (doing a short hop, instant up air)

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
It's all about personal preference. If you like the feel of it or are used to Melee's controls, then by all means, go for it. Personally, I don't use it because I run the risk of jumping when I meant to aim up.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
On the other hand, you could buffer a jump by holding X or Y as dtilt's animation comes close to ending. Would save any accidents involving jumping when you meant to utilt or uair, at least.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Why can't I get fair to combo into fair as prescribed to show as a true combo in training mode? I always land on the ground between fairs. Am I not supposed to start aerial combos from the ground?

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hey guys 2 questions. 1. so ZeRo just came out with the top tiers of his personal tier list, putting Corrin at 11 above villager, mario, pikachu, and ness. What do you guys think about this? do we have what it takes? 2. How reliable is corrin's counter against ness's recovery? is it more consistent than the others due to hitting on both sides? also, how early does it KO? I would assume at like 0% or something because of the 20 something percent ness's recovery does.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
2. How reliable is corrin's counter against ness's recovery? is it more consistent than the others due to hitting on both sides? also, how early does it KO? I would assume at like 0% or something because of the 20 something percent ness's recovery does.
Seems reliable from my experiences.

Without rage or DI it kills around/after 30% on Wii U FD, just below ledge height. Ness should be at least that damaged if he's in a position where he has to use upB to recover though, so it's mostly a non-issue.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
On the other hand, you could buffer a jump by holding X or Y as dtilt's animation comes close to ending. Would save any accidents involving jumping when you meant to utilt or uair, at least.
I tried that too, but found i would often short hop instead. With tap jump, by holding up i get the full hop AND can just press attack for the uair with no need to go from x/y to c-stick.

Attack c-stick makes it easy to do uptilt, and even without it i don't have too much trouble doing it with tap jump on seeing as i'm an avid uptilt user with spacies in melee. Attack c-stick also helps with perfect pivot uptilt and dtilt, and having A+B smash on lets you do pivot/perfect pivot fsmash and dsmash, so nothing is lost.

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
How reliable is corrin's counter against ness's recovery? is it more consistent than the others due to hitting on both sides? also, how early does it KO? I would assume at like 0% or something because of the 20 something percent ness's recovery does.
ness's up-b has invincibility for a couple frames (the begining) so just counter a bit farther away from him to actually get the kill, and yes it does kill at 0% (that ive noticed i may of had rage when it happened)

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Why can't I get fair to combo into fair as prescribed to show as a true combo in training mode? I always land on the ground between fairs. Am I not supposed to start aerial combos from the ground?
Are you Fastfalling the Fair? To true combo properly at the widest range of percents, the Fair needs to be FF'd, and can then be followed up with the usual F/Nair then F/N/Uair.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hey guys 2 questions. 1. so ZeRo just came out with the top tiers of his personal tier list, putting Corrin at 11 above villager, mario, pikachu, and ness. What do you guys think about this? do we have what it takes? 2. How reliable is corrin's counter against ness's recovery? is it more consistent than the others due to hitting on both sides? also, how early does it KO? I would assume at like 0% or something because of the 20 something percent ness's recovery does.
I found the angle and distance be somewhat trickier than other recoveries to cover. You can't just bluntly jump right in.

I'm not sure. Isn't buffering inputting toward the end of the initial move?
It is, however atreyujames atreyujames has more useful advice than I'm capable of, I do think that buffering the move could help.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
I'm not sure. Isn't buffering inputting toward the end of the initial move?
Haha since I've been tapped in by Ingoro Ingoro I might as well answer. Buffering is the act of inputting a move within 10 frames of another actions ending animation before you can usually act. When done within those frames, the buffered move will be executed at the first possible frame. In the case of the Fair strings, If you input a jump with the right timing (approx. when Corrin's sword is below him/her after the swing) after the first midair Fair then you will have buffered the jump and can then follow the opponent and easily Fair them again

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Haha since I've been tapped in by Ingoro Ingoro I might as well answer. Buffering is the act of inputting a move within 10 frames of another actions ending animation before you can usually act. When done within those frames, the buffered move will be executed at the first possible frame. In the case of the Fair strings, If you input a jump with the right timing (approx. when Corrin's sword is below him/her after the swing) after the first midair Fair then you will have buffered the jump and can then follow the opponent and easily Fair them again
Haha sorry for putting you on the spot. That answer was excellent though ;)

On general topic. For some reason we can edge cancel dragon lunge's hop, pin but not when we've done the kick after a grounded pit?

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Dragon Lunge has 3 different positions in it; the first being the hop, which can be cancelled, the second one is the hop + pin which can be cancelled, however my point was that after we've pinned ourselves to the ground and go either forward of back, that specific animation, we can't edge cancel that.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Is the distance on kick completely consistent? Affected by map friction? Or otherwise?

I'm finding that when I intend to go offstage with it, I'll accidentally be stuck at the edge. I'm wondering whether this is just a judgement issue that can be solved with know the exact distance using background objects like Pikachus do with QAC edgeguards or whether it might differ depending on stage/circumstances/back-kick/front-kick/shield hit/no shield hit/etc.

Top Bottom