• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Prototype for the Wii U Confirmed

Uffe

Smash Hero
If it feels like the GameCube controller, then great. I was afraid I'd have to pick up a new Wii-like controller and relearn Smash.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
It being wireless still doesn't entirely make it tournament friendly. Can you just imagine the nightmare that is trying to connect wirelessly off and on and all of those signals flying everywhere in a venue?

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
WE LOVE YOU NINTENDO!!!!

...But why you no make it wireless?
(Lol. Totes first one to post)
because competitive players dont sit any further than 3 feet from the TV they dont need it

the evermost sudden flash of strobe lights will kill them, so it is important that every smasher stay alert and compete with caution

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Whether or not this controller will be good, it really is the thought that counts.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31

Oh, boys and girls, this is some wonderful news!

Seriously, I've grown used to the Wiimote and nunchuk, but nothin' beats the good ol' GC controller, in my opinion. ;)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
It is a very real issue. I haven't had much of a problem with it, but there likely isn't anything interfering with my connection. Anyway, for the sake of an example, in Project M Ike's Quick Draw is central to his gameplay style. However, I've heard that a Classic Pro user (can't remember who) had a problem with their Ike shooting off without them letting go of the special button. The response was that the wireless made the game not register that the button was still being held. Bummer.
Try using Diddy's recovery. XD

This is a real issue. It happened to me constantly when I tried using a Classic controller for Brawl, to the point I lost games because of it. I have yet to try out the pro controller, but anything that uses the wiimote is not to be trusted.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
The pro controller and Wii U pad not working that well with Smash was the only thing I was really worried about. Now I have no doubt in Smash 4. Also I'l probably also use the GC controller for VC games.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
YES. A GameCube controller for Wii U Smash! I LOVE this, as the GC controller is just perfect for Smash, and I always played Brawl with the GC controller. Once I get a Wii U and Smash U, this is a must buy for $25.
I give this an :GCA:.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Non-first party controllers really never feel right. Also this controller will plug into the back of a wiimote so technically it's wireless.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Absolutely amazing. **** yes.

More options to play Smash 4 ftw. I know it's gonna come down to the Pro Controller or the Fight Pad for my preferred choice.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I personally never saw the obsession with the GC controller apart from it being wired, but it is just another acknowledgment by Nintendo of the community, so whatever. I guess it's good news for all if it's good news for some.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I absolutely love it, but I've already spent money on the pro controller because of this game. I guess I'll see which play style I like more... Although I'm positive GC is gonna be the winner for me.

If it doesn't feel like one of those crappy refurbished controllers then I'm definitely hooked.

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Yes yes yes, hopefully it comes in different colors again. Probably some new ones we haven't seen. I wouldn't mind rocking a pink official go controller if it hasn't already been made by nintendo

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Honestly GC controllers are amazing. But so are wiimotes. :) I'm sticking with the wii u pro controller for this game. I have a couple and I love the design and feel. Kudos to nintendo for reaching out to the Smash Community though.

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this is a good idea sales-wise. If they do this then whats the point of having the wii u pro controller?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I don't think this is a good idea sales-wise. If they do this then whats the point of having the wii u pro controller?
There was no point of creating it in the first place. I don't understand why Nintendo feels the need to constantly create new controllers. The Wiimote was innovative, but this controller just didn't do it for me. They knew everyone loved the GameCube controller. I find it completely idiotic that they strayed away from its' design in the first place.

N0ble1

Smash Rookie
I will purchase stock in Nintendo four controllers if they choose to make it USB instead and update the Wii U to have wired controller capabilities.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Now we just need one that can be plugged into the 3DS....

Nah but seriously this is awesome. It shows that they really want to recreate the good old Melee (and by extension Brawl) experience

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
All this apparent need for wireless with Nintendo is just annoying though. I personally hate Wireless, and not specifically because of input lag.
Pretty fancy.

In the past, Nintendo had a sick wired obsession. You needed wires for everything, for play multiplayer Game Boy games, to connect your GBA on the GCN. I'm pretty glad Nintendo stuck with wireless stuff nowadays.

Well, aside for this input lag thing (I'm not so smart in this subject, sorry), I don't see any problems with wireless controllers on the tournament play, specially on the Wii U, where is miles easy to pair/unpair a controller and the Pro Controller features an awesome 80-hour battery pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom