• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Prototype for the Wii U Confirmed

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
In the past, Nintendo had a sick wired obsession. You needed wires for everything, for play multiplayer Game Boy games, to connect your GBA on the GCN. I'm pretty glad Nintendo stuck with wireless stuff nowadays.
Wireless technology was not as cheap, and readily available, back in the day. Calling it an obsession is definitely not warranted when it was, in fact, a nessecity if they wanted to do multiplayer games - especially on the original Game Boy.

Well, aside for this input lag thing (I'm not so smart in this subject, sorry), I don't see any problems with wireless controllers on the tournament play, specially on the Wii U, where is miles easy to pair/unpair a controller and the Pro Controller features an awesome 80-hour battery pack.
Input lag is not the only reason wireless isn't much liked. EVO, for example, has banned the wireless Dualshock 3, and Sixaxis, controllers for various reasons. Major reasons being related to how the controllers pair with the console. And since while unpairing your controller to the console your controller will be remembered for about 2 odd seconds, that has the potential to interfere with on-going matches on other set-ups you've been on.

Also, the input lag is the primary reason many competitive players dislike wireless. If you haven't noticed pretty much everyone into competitive Smash are incredibly anal about input delay. And as long as there is some input delay, regardless if it is humanly possible to notice it, they more than likely "will". Oh, the wonders of placebo!

As for my personal reasons for disliking it. I just have a bigger appreciation for plugging in a controller and playing. No need to sync up your controller just so you can play. Besides, in a tournament with many, many entrants, the added time you take by syncing up your controller to the consoles, amount to a lot of time. Which could be a non-issue depending on other factors, but even then, you cannot completely disregard it.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It is a very real issue. I haven't had much of a problem with it, but there likely isn't anything interfering with my connection. Anyway, for the sake of an example, in Project M Ike's Quick Draw is central to his gameplay style. However, I've heard that a Classic Pro user (can't remember who) had a problem with their Ike shooting off without them letting go of the special button. The response was that the wireless made the game not register that the button was still being held. Bummer.
It becomes character universal if you're in a matchup where you need to shield continuously or dash continuously, since those are also interrupted by single frame drops.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
You know what would be really interesting to see, if Nintendo and PDP decided to also make these GameCube-style controllers in alternate colors. I'm certain we will get both a white and black version of the controller, but I personally want to see a purple version of the control for nostalgia purposes. :estatic:

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
It would be awesome to see four wiimotes next to each other like the four slots of the GCN.

Top Bottom