• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Controller Prototype for the Wii U Confirmed

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just when you thought you would need to adapt to a Pro Controller. Looks like we can all keep our controller preferences!

Doubt they would mess up the button placement and configuration though.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
..... K... So guess I will actually be buying a WiiU in the future... To much now to not... +_+... Was still debating sticking with just a 3DS... But Nintendo... Catering to their fans?... I have to support >_>

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Great news but why is it not wireless. Depends on how it looks otherwise it might be Time to learn smash with the Wii U pro controller

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I'm really happy that they are bringing back the design of the GC controller. It honestly is one of my favorite designs for a controller in any system. Of course my opinion is biased with my use of it for smash.

PokéMaster235

Smash Rookie
I'm glad to hear this news, but I'm with the others about it not being wireless. Otherwise I'll be using the Pro controller.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
1.this is wireless; 2. GameCube ABXY button shapes are the worst; 3.raphnet and mayflash adapters already exist, wiimote to gc controller port. Hope it turns out better than everyone wants, lots of doubt though

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
All I need a the wii u pro. I stopped using gc controller years ago.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
I heard somewhere that you can plug USB controllers into the Wii U's USB ports if they were made for the Wii U. That could be wrong though.
You aren't wrong, I've been able to use a usb keyboard through the usb ports on the Wii U.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
funny how Nintendo suddenly supports the whole smashbros thing more and more since the game is one of the very few chances to keep the Wii U alive together with Mario Kart... Somehow, i think it's agood thing the wii u hasn't sold that well since the launch... it's makes the big N do a lot more effort for the games we're waiting for...

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Why are people trippin on it being wireless?

Is it because of the possibility of signal interference? Has anyone experienced an issue like this?
It is a very real issue. I haven't had much of a problem with it, but there likely isn't anything interfering with my connection. Anyway, for the sake of an example, in Project M Ike's Quick Draw is central to his gameplay style. However, I've heard that a Classic Pro user (can't remember who) had a problem with their Ike shooting off without them letting go of the special button. The response was that the wireless made the game not register that the button was still being held. Bummer.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
When I first saw this piece of news, I immediately started jumping for joy. Ever since I got my Wii U back in September, I had to use my Wiimote and nunchuk in order to play Project M or Brawl. I'm glad that Nintendo is partnering up with PDP to make a GameCube-based controller for the Wii U variant of Smash 4! :D

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I was planning on giving the Pro Controller a shot, but hey, always nice to have a backup plan.

Top Bottom