• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: Sakurai's Four Pillars of Character Virtue, Day 23: Waluigi/Wonder Red!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Palutena:

Uniqueness: 7/10
Light based/magical projectiles aren't unique but are under used in smash, and Palutena could have a huge variety of shots that near no-one else could match. Giant slow moving balls, angled spears of light and a mix of heavy weight and floatiness; an odd combination, but one that Paluntena could rock. A strategy based around aerial bombardment.. I guess Dedede kinda does this, but not to the same extent Palutena could. She struggles more to differentiate herself from Ness and Lucas though, given their aerial projectile gameplay.. she'd be different, but not as much as some others we've rated so far; I feel she's a lot like K.Rool in she takes a pre-existing play style and refines it.

Appeal: 8/10
She's third on Rate Their Chances, and KI:U was a big game early in the 3DS, a lot of people have seen her, and a lot of people like her. Sadly however I don't think there will be many who will have considered her longer than that year, few who could list her in their most hyped if list... It will certainly be well recieved, by practically eveyone, but I don't think it will have a huge draw like K.Rool.. but still, more immediate popularity, and she's more fresh in peoples minds, so it'll definitely help tide people over, and make a notable few very happy.

Balance: 8/10
She doesn't fill a new niche, but she does make a great refinement of one. She balances the game fairly that way, but less so than K.Rool could. She's female and heavy though, which is certainly to her advantage, gaining he an extra .5%.

Style: 8/10
She certainly fits, but white robes give her a certain similarity to Pit in style, understandable, but maybe enough to make her less stand out on the battle field alongside him.

She's a really solid pick, but isn't standout in any regard... which can be her advantage or her curse dependent on how Sakurai sees it.

Noms: Dillon, Bowser Jr.

Slime is a third party, which must do better than their first party competition, but I think Slime does compared to a lot of characters. In terms of character type he basically wins the uniqueness award for having neither arms nor legs, and still have great moveset potential; his ability to call back up, rocket around the battlefield, quickly grab characters and stack them on his head before jumping and throwing them far away, throw projectiles and generally play an annoyance game like no other. We also really lack a quick annoyance game (Space animals are closest, but they're more about making the approach), with so much movement elasto-blasting all over the place, and again, he represents the limbless in a way even Rayman would applaud, balancing the roster even more. He's arguably a villian too, and in his red team guise it's a she-slime so a girl.. but I guess that's stretching things.
As for appeal I find it hard to think of any character who has more in Japan.. well except Peach's standard special... maybe one of the DQ heroes, but that splits the fans too much, Slime will be happily accepted by DQ fans, and there are ALOT of them. DQ is the 20th best selling game series in the world, and unlike FF from Squeenix has one defined style it hasn't lost, meaning it's got a far less polarized fandom.. also FF fans are more interested in PS4s than WiiUs right now, so again I think Slime will get more sales, probably even outside of Japan where FF is the dominant jRPG. And even so, is it a matter, they're both likely worth a 10, even if I think Slime's got a slight edge being the more popular series in the land were jRPGs are most popular.
Where you might think he'd struggle is style, being third party, but I really don't think so, he fits right in with the wacky Mario universe in Fortune Street and Sports Mix, and would look great alongside the smash cast too in my opinion; his biggest struggle though is his lack of any limbs, something no other character so far has.. at least both. Ivysaur fit in without arms and R.O.B without feet, and with squeegee cutesy-ness we have Kirby.. it's just not all at once. I think he can overcome his limb issues, but it's a little less obvious, which just stops him getting the clean sweep of 10s in my eyes.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Louie G. I just want to check if you are interpreting 'balance' the same way I am. Did you read my recent update to the OP with a quote from Thinkaman's post?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Louie G. I just want to check if you are interpreting 'balance' the same way I am. Did you read my recent update to the OP with a quote from Thinkaman's post?
I think so. Balance as in they have strengths and weaknesses, therefore balancing out the roster.
Could be wrong though.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Okay, I think I see the confusion. The way I interpreted it is that the character would balance out the roster as a whole, such as adding another heavyweight to a roster with few heavyweights, or any other fighting archetype that is underrepresented.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, I think I see the confusion. The way I interpreted it is that the character would balance out the roster as a whole, such as adding another heavyweight to a roster with few heavyweights, or any other fighting archetype that is underrepresented.
Okay. So for example, adding Palutena would be adding a female heavyweight with a staff, bringing something new/uncommon to the Smash roster.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 6 is over!

Palutena

Uniqueness: 8
Appeal: 8.5
Balance: 9
Style: 9
Total: 34.5

Day 7: Please vote on Slime and analyze Takamaru!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Slime:

U: 10/10
Just in terms of design there is nothing in Smash like him, and while Gooey may have vague similarities his tongue makes him an entirely different beast. In terms of play style his famous cal for back up makes him unique in calling clones of himself into battle.. I guess it's vaguely similar to Olimar and Pikmin, and the play style may involve some desyncing like Ice Climbers, but the backup slimes would likely be a bit in between such that you can't control them like Nana, but can't direct benefit from them like Pikmin.. They'd act a touch like Dedede's Waddle Dee/Doo in that regard, but with a notable seperation. Add in his ability to rocket across the aerial game with his elasto-blast and he'd be a fast annoyer, something we don't have a good example of. His bubble slime duck, his elasticity, and his playstyle all stand out as unique, and work in a way I struggle to think any other character could copy, from any franchise.

A: 10/10
Dragon Quest is the best selling jRPG series in Japan, and the 20th best selling game franchise in the world! Even if you think FF has an advantage as Squeenix, I don't think anyone can turn their nose at Slime's popularity and his credentials for his appeal. He's a cultural icon in Japan, you can buy dumplings made to look like him all over the country, he's got huge amounts of charm, appeal and even merchandise, as well as his own games that sell pretty well in their own right. Slime is an A* pick for appealing to fans, he has loads of them, and I argue he's the least polarizing, and probably most loves, option available in all of Squeenix's character collection, partially due to fan derision over DQ heroes, and partially due to FF's split fanbase between old (fantasy style, like 1-6,9,dimensions) and new (7,8,10,13) and even the ivalice fans (Tactics,12)... DQ does kind of have this with Monsters, but far less so, and even then Slime covers that part of the franchise really well too.

B: 10/10
Slime's design alone brings a video game archetype completely unrepresented in smash. His game play would be different filling a niche yet again, in the fast annoyer department. Add his ability to add more RPG franchises, from the best loved jRPG in japan no less, and he's got amazing Balance credentials too, probably some of the best.

S: 9/10
So, he's third party, makes style more awkward, but he's already shown himself to fit in Itadaki Street.. he's also got more a cooky/cute variety to him that makes him look far more fitting than an FF rep in my opinion. He stands out by not having arms and legs, but every character should stand out some amount... it's a question if he stands out too much, and I don't think so, Ivysaur has shown us that no arms isn't necessarily a problem, and while Slime stands out as the only character who can use items just by power of being Slime, but it's in his character.. He has notable issues, but I think he looks so right alongside Mario in Fortune Street that I think he can overcome these all. Plus he's an absolute icon, which always helps one fit in in an 'all stars' crossover.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Slime? Hmm...

Uniqueness: 10/10
Let's face it: There is nothing that wouldn't be unique about Slime. He has no arms and no legs, which already makes him different. And... That's about all really. He uses slime to attack I guess, so that's kind of unique. Oh yeah, and the Rocket Slime attacks, they'd be cool.

Appeal: 5/10
Alright, so Slime's appeal is low for a reason. He's just... Kind of bland. I mean, he's a species, and unlike characters like Waddle Dee, he has nothing that separates him visual-wise from his species. Not to mention, there aren't too many people BEGGING for Slime, and although he's among my most wanted Square Enix reps, characters like Black Mage and Hero from Dragon Quest would be a little more interesting. Although Dragon Quest is a very loved series, we'd hear a lot of groans as a result of Slime's inclusion.

Slime would balance out the roster quite well I guess. He's a third-party, and although we don't need a ton of those, he IS a notable one. He'd also be the first character to have absolutely no arms or legs, and to float when he walks AND when he doesn't. I guess he'd do a good job of balancing the roster, but being a third-party is what hurts him here. We NEED characters like Sonic and Mega Man, with a huge history with Nintendo, and while Slime fits that criteria, there are other characters that do as well. I guess what I'm saying is that we don't need a lot of third party characters, and although Slime is one of the most notable, I just don't know if he's a necessity.

Slime's bubbly and cartoony look would fit in well along the likes of Mario and friends, so fitting in with the art style of Smash would be easy for him. But fighting style is a little bit of an issue. He's a raindrop with no arms or legs, it's questionable how well it would work out. But this is Super Smash Bros we're talking about, a franchise where anything and everything is possible.
So you know, Slime could work if some good time is put into his inclusion.

Total: 31/40
Admittedly coming out better than I thought, Slime would make an interesting inclusion to Super Smash Bros if his time ever comes along.

Nominations: Dixie Kong x2
I'd vote for Dillon, but I frankly don't care about him.
I just really don't feel like doing Kawashima or Nintendog either, so that's why I was giving thought to voting for Dillon.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Cmon Louie G., I just wanna see in-depth opinions for these characters.
I would love to hear them.
Lol, I knew you would see and respond to this, possibly the reason I said it... :troll:
Anyway, they would be pretty good shock characters I guess, but nowhere in the league of say Game and Watch and ROB, characters with HUGE impacts on Nintendo's history. Nintendog and Kawashima have left their marks, but nowhere close to the marks left by the other two.
Plus, even though people said this about ROB and were wrong, I feel like they would be big wastes of space. Imagine the hate if they get in and some like say RIDLEY doesn't.
Not to mention Nintendog's realistic look. Seriously, PETA would have a rampage. And it IS essentially just a normal Golden Retriever. Not much really special about it, besides being adorable.
Kawashima is a bit more understandable I guess, but he's a floating head, a "hand-boss" of sorts. Smash deserves so much better before they lean on characters like Nintendog and Kawashima.
I don't have a big problem with either though. I just don't want to vote on them. Nobody is going to give them any good scores, as nobody but you truly wants them. (Ooh, harsh. Sorry.)
So in conclusion, there is a lot wrong with these two in Smash, as I have explained.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
float when he walks AND when he doesn't.
I respect your opinions, they differ from my own, but you seem to have looked at it objectively, and simply come up with different conclusions. However, Slime has never floated in any of his appearances... he would be quite still on the ground (a little wobbling aside) with his bottom bit on the dirt, and he's normally shown as hopping when he's moving... Just though I'd clear things up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I respect your opinions, they differ from my own, but you seem to have looked at it objectively, and simply come up with different conclusions. However, Slime has never floated in any of his appearances... he would be quite still on the ground (a little wobbling aside) with his bottom bit on the dirt, and he's normally shown as hopping when he's moving... Just though I'd clear things up.
I'm sorry. Not a Dragon Quest player, maybe I should start.
I don't know if it came across this way, but I would like Slime in Smash. I just think that there are better options and many things going against him.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sorry for the delay in changing the day. I've had a really busy couple of days, and since we only got two people voting on Slime so far, I thought I'd let it go an extra day. I will update the day a little past midnight tonight.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 8 is over!

Slime

Uniqueness: 10
Appeal: 7.5
Balance: 9
Style: 8.5
Total: 35

Please vote on Takamaru and analyze Dr. Kawashima!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Takamaru

Uniqueness: 8/10
Doesn't look that unique at first as far as appearances go, as he would be the third "blue-haired swordsman" on the roster. He would offer something new, though, as his swordplay would be heavily inspired by Samurai. He could fight two-handed with a katana and use shurikens. So while he might not look too unique visually, he would offer something interesting as far as movesets and playstyles go.

Appeal: 7/10
Has been getting some mild publicity with his recent appearances and cameos, and seems to be generally well received by the people who know him. People unfamiliar with him might not see him as immediately interesting, though.

Balance: 7/10
Takmaru would add another retro rep to the roster, which is always nice. He represents a currently unrepped series, although the roster already has plenty of sword users.
I would picture Takamaru being a character with decently long range and attacks that are quick, but lack a lot of killing power. His character topic also imagines him being fast and light, but having heavy falling speed. Nothing super special, but it works.

Style: 10/10
Has had some recent appearances and cameos. He would have no trouble fitting into Smash Bros.

Nominations: Lip x2.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I want to clarify that writing a detailed explanation of scores is encouraged, but by no means required. Anybody who just wants to give scores is welcome to do so, but please make sure you read the descriptions of the criteria in the OP, as without explanations, I will just have to assume you are judging on the right factors.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Takamaru

Uniqueness: 9/10
He may use a sword, but he has a unique fighting style where he draws his sword to attack then quickly sheathes it. He also has his own unique projectiles.

Fairly popular, especially with his recent appearances.

Well, he is somewhat like Link, a sword user with plenty of projectiles, just faster and not as strong.

He's retro and colorful, he should fit right in.

Noms: Tiki and Pac-Man

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Takamaru:

U: 10/10
Iaido is very different to western sword fighting, as is any kenjutsu, being more about precise cuts before the opponent, while staying relatively non-aggressive and keeping distance at other times. Given his projectiles he should have a good ranged pressure game forcing opponents to approach him and follow up with a powerful Iai strike followed by a quick, powerful combo. The movements, and the Japanese style would both be new to smash, and isn't a game style used by anyone else at this time.

A: 6/10
Samurai. Are. COOL! He may be a retro, but his Nintendoland inclusion makes him better known to casual/newer players, and samurai are cool. I don't think he'll make for many peoples most wanted, but much like Palutena I think he'll be generally interesting to people, and some people will be really interested to play 'that samurai dude', even if they don't know Takamaru. Still, he struggles with recognisability due to his retrodom.

B: 9/10
His play style really doesn't match any other characters who's projectiles are either for annoyance, control, overall attack or creating openings for approach. However pressure and punish is how Adult Link should play in this game (imo), so as to balance Toon Link and give him a niche, and possibly Ganondorf if he finally gets a projectile. While he doesn't bring anything another character can't bring, he adds to a small group, and brings his own unique style to the concept, and can play differently enough to Link despite a similar focus. He'd also balance out the sword fighting styles a bit by adding a samurai.

He looks good in Samurai Warriors 3, and being Retro they can change his look to suit smash bros even better. He's a fairly clean slate, and that makes for some of the coolest characters.

Noms: Dillon, Ruka Minakuki ('cos we need a truly terrible idea to vote on)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Takamaru:

Does he have a sword? Yes. Does he have tons of other attributes? Of course! Takamaru is a samurai who can shoot fireballs, disappear, and many perform many other unique and interesting abilities. Not much to expand on here, he would be very unique for obvious reasons.

Appeal: 9/10
While Takamaru is not necessarily a video game icon, he's got a lot going for him. He's on almost every Smash roster out there now, and for good reason: He's the perfect choice for a new retro character. With his recent minigame in Nintendo Land, he is more known than ever. Sure a lot of people don't know him, but the ones that do like him a lot.

Balance: 9/10
As far as sword-wielders go, I guess we have enough. Or do we? Takamaru is a samurai, a fighting style that has not yet been included in Smash. Not to mention he could be a great choice for a retro character, adding the obligatory new retro to the game.

Like with most characters brought up, no problem here.

Total: 37/40
Takamaru is the best choice for a new retro character. His samurai skills can bring lots of fun to Smash 4, and considering the fact that he is super likely, I can't wait to play as him.

Nominations: Dixie Kong x2

Ugh, we're getting into the Bluepikmin nominations...
Just kidding. But seriously, neither Kawashima or Nintendog will do well in the voting.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 8 is over!

Takamaru

Uniqueness: 9
Appeal: 7.5
Balance: 8
Style: 9.6
Total: 34.1

Please vote on Dr. Kawashima and analyze Dillon!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Appeal: 0/10
Brain Age isn't nearly as popular as the Wii games nor as well known as ROB. So he's in that no mans land category where no one knows him

Uniqueness: 10/10
I guess a floating head it pretty unique.

Style: 0/10
Because floating head with no hands.

Balance: 0/10
Kinda hard to balance a guy without legs.

Total: 10/40

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 9 is over!

Dr. Kawashima

Uniqueness: 10
Appeal: 0
Balance: -
Style: 0
Total: 10/30 (13.3/40)

I let the questionable style score slide, but your balance score looked like it was judging on moveset balance. I've said repeatedly that that is not what we are judging. Edit: Maybe I was too hard on that score. It could have just been a joke referring to his lack of legs. If that's the case, pm me or something.

Day 10: Please vote on Dillon and analyze Dixie Kong!

Ascended

Smash Ace
Dillon:
While we already have characters that roll around for attacks (Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and Sonic), Dillon's uniqueness comes from his cowboy/western design, and the fact that he can also have access to items from his games, the gun towers, maybe even the other rangers (Russ and the three from The Last Ranger). He could also do something with burrowing, and I could see a lot of his moves be combos to represent the combo system from his game. I really think that he has a ton of moveset potential and could end up as one of the funnest characters to play as.

Appeal: 10/10
Dillon's design is awesome. He's an armadillo cowboy, and we don't have any armadillos or cowboys in Smash yet. Plus, the way he moves and fights makes him look vicious, powerful, and intimidating.

While I feel that we already have a lot of speedy characters, we don't really have any combo heavy characters or cowboy characters.

He's a butt-kicking cowboy armadillo! The dude oozes style!
Total: 37/40

Dixie Kong:
While I'm not the biggest fan of Donkey Kong, I do really like the idea of Dixie being playable. Since she was going to be in Brawl and since she's going to be in Tropical Freeze I think she should be one of the highest priority newcomers. I can see her being something of a Falco to Diddy's Fox, although maybe she could have some of Tiny Kong's moves from DK64. In an ideal situation I would like to have her and K. Rool, but if I can only have one then I would prefer Dixie since I'm more partial to heroes, DKC2 seems to be the most popular in the series from what I read, and it would add another female character.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Am I supposed to do the same thing for Dixie Kong?
[/SIZE]

No, but you should discuss your opinions without the numbers, make it more loose, list any arguments you may feel necessary and if you see someone saying something you disagree with about her then feel free to try and convince them otherwise.

Dillon:

U: 9/10
Spinning may be nothing new, nor are explosives (though dynamite is), but his burrowing is, and claw attacks a underrepresented. His style is unique too, being western and all; plus we don't have an armadillo.

A: 7/10
Dillon's from an eShop game, that did well for an eShop title, but really didn't have the impact of a physical release, or the advertising. He's pretty cool, and popular enough, but I didn't know of him before hitting this board... He likely doesn't have a huge number of fans, but he has enough, and the badass western armadillo just looks so cool I could see it peaking interest with those less familiar with him too.

B: 10/10
His play style would likely be fairly grounded, moving quick across the ground with his Roll and using powerful combos to rack up damage and knock people into the air. Making it hard for all but the best ground fighters (Isaac) to stay grounded for any period of time. We don't have enough grounded fighters (part of why Isaac was high in balance).

S: 10/10
Just look at him, he's so cool! Honestly though, he'd fit right in with smash, bringing a new visual dynamic and an awesome desert stage for the 3DS.

Dixie:

She has less appeal then K.Rool and could even detract ammoung K.Rool fans, and I doubt she'd bring much over Diddy in uniqueness or balance. She's different enough to consider, but not enough to get very high scores in either of those in my honest opinion. She'd fit right in though, so no problems there.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Uniqueness:10/10
As already said a few times, the whole western style makes Dillon very unique from existing characters as well as the fact he's an armadillo. The rolling similarity with Sonic isn't that similar as Sonic is the fast guy and Dillon is more the strong guy. So here we have already a huge difference. Also Dillon would never use his feets to battle, he prefers his claws and his rolling attack. He also has a digging move that would bring something unseen in Smash Bros. And if you want to bring even more unique moves: the use of dynamite and other items as well as various final smash options make him very unique. As already said, Sonic and Dillon aren't really similar. They have both a rolling attack that would be different one from another.

As a fan of DRW I would really want to see Dillon in the roster. However, realistically spoken: DRW is an eShop series that until now counts two eShop games. I've often come across people who didn't really know him. What is most interesting about this point: Even if they didn't know Dillon before, they liked his design and this said, I imagine people would be interested in finding out who he is and discover his games. It's a bit like Pikmin: The series wasn't that well known and by putting in Olimar in Brawl, people discovered the Pikmin franchise. I think Nintendo/Sakurai could also use Dillon (as he is an interesting character) to promote the two eShop games. And as people seem to like his design, he could also be a good reason to buy SSB4.

Balance: 10/10
Dillon would be a more powerful character and only while rolling he would move with an average speed. When he's walking/running, he's pretty slow as we know from DRW. So he would be a more slow but powerful character. I guess we don't have enough slow and powerful fighters, so Dillon would be a great addition.

I don't see a problem in terms of style. I could imagine Dillon very well with the typical Smash moves. He would just be fine.

Total: 38/40

Dixie:
How unique is Dixie? Well, she would be another monkey in the roster, but at least a female one. She could fly a bit with her hair like Donkey Kong with his up-B. I don't really know if Sakurai could have enough ideas for good movesets without taking moves from Tiny Kong. Otherwise, it would be better to put Tiny Kong in as she could use the whole moves from DK64. If you compare Dixie to Tiny, both move totally different. Dixie moves more like Diddy and that said, I honestly have to say I would prefer Tiny Kong. In terms of appeal Dixie would be better than Tiny as Dixie appears in DKC: Tropical Freeze and Tiny was only in these Donkey Kong spinoff games since DK64. In terms of balance Dixie would be a fast character, I guess that would fit. In terms of style, Dixie would just do fine. So the only point I have to critizise is: I can't imagine her to have a really unique moveset.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
DILLON
------------------------------------------------​
Uniqueness: 9.5/10​
Having a character from a Western-theme game would be interesting, and would be an interesting addition to Smash. For the concern with him being similar to Sonic, he would be stronger and slower compared to him, and just the rolling move would be the only similarity, most likely. Having no other character be from a western-game, that makes Dillon extremely unique.​
Appeal: 8/10​
I love his series and his games, the only problem is that people don't really know who he is. I know I've tried to talk to my friends about his games and they just stared at me like I said something horrible. I've showed them gameplay however, and they thought it was really cool, but they thought he was like Sonic, to which I replied by punching them. His only problem is that first-timers would think he is like Sonic, and would not want to see him within the game. Anyone who has played the series knows differently.​
Balance: 10/10​
Dillon is powerful and slow, making him a good balance for the game. His moveset would not be too overpowering, as far as I can see at least. I think he would be balanced fairly to fit in the game.​
Style: 10/10​
Agreeing with the person above me, there is nothing wrong that I can see with his inclusion. He would fit well with the characters.​
Total: 37.5/10​
Dixie Kong:​
She has the potential to be unique, definitely. The only problem I could see is that she is too much like Diddy Kong. She could use her hair for her different attacks, and take different things and her different attributes from the Donkey Kong games and make a pretty nice, balanced moveset. I feel like she could be a Diddy clone as well, depending on how Sakurai goes about this. They could even be paired up for all we know, which I wouldn't actually mind.​
Nominations: Professor Layton x2​

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sorry for the late update!

Day 10 is over!

Dillon

Uniqueness: 9.5
Appeal: 8.3
Balance: 9.5
Style: 10
Total: 37.3

Please vote on Dixie Kong and analyze Nintendog!

Because I took so long to update to day 11, and because Nintendog probably won't get as many votes as most characters, votes will also be accepted for Dixie Kong on day 12.

Ascended

Smash Ace
My thoughts on Dixie Kong:

Uniqueness: 5/10
Everything she can do, Diddy can already do. Her uniqueness basically comes from her being a female character and maybe some cool things she can do with her hair. Other than that I don't see her as being very unique.

I do think that Dixie has a large fanbase as she comes from what many consider to be the "Golden Era" of Donkey Kong games, and she's being heavily advertised in the upcoming Tropical Freeze. I expect a lot of people to know who she is and I can see some people being excited for her.

I think we've already got quite bit of quick characters, but we do need more female characters and more Donkey Kong characters with how big the franchise is.

Her new design is pretty cute, and I prefer her over Diddy.

Total: 28/40

Nintendog:
I personally think it would be hilarious to have a playable Nintendog, but I don't see it as being suitable for a fighting role. Assist Trophy and Stage Hazard are good enough for the Nintendog.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Dixie:

U: 4/10
She's Diddy with a ponytail. She'd be a semi-clone because she doesn't have the technology, but she doesn't really have many moves of her own so certain aspects (the banana, most A moves) will have to just be copied from her brother/boyfriend (I don't remember which he is).

A: 8/10
She would be 9 if she didn't compete with K.Rool. See, she's well loved, that's part of the reason people went crazy about her being in Tropical Freeze, but if she gets in before K.Rool it'll disappoint people (possibly prematurely) that K.Rool didn't get in (or hasn't been revealed yet). People will like her inclusion, but want K.Rool more.

B: 5/10
A third Kong is pushing things, and concidering how similar she'd be to Diddy she doesn't bring much in gameplay. Hair based moves are unrepresented in Smash though, so she'd add a new damage type (unless it's considered weapon), and she's a girl, which grant her an extra point...

Diddy fit in perfectly, but Dixie's design has always been a bit creepy to me, and I hope I'm not the only one... Otherwise she'd be perfect.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dixie Kong:

Uniqueness: 4/10:
The only way I can imagine her working is doing a lot of monkey business moves. We already have Diddy Kong for that. In that regard, she could very well be a semi-clone in terms of some A attacks. Otherwise she does have the potential for some unique special attacks. Her appearance isn't very unique though, she's another monkey from the DK series, we already have two of those.

Appeal: 6/10:
The monkey's got some style, and her banana-looking hair is pretty cool. However, monkeys have never had a huge appeal to the big audience. Of course she has a lot of appeal to Nintendo fans in general, but we need to think outside of our box too.

Balance: 4/10:
We already have a lot of small quick characters, and we have enough monkeys I feel. Many of the possible playstyles for small and quick characters are already adapted by the likes of Squirtle, Diddy Kong, Pikachu etc, I'm not sure how she'd contribute to that too much. She could potentially float in air with her hair, which could make her quite dominant on stage like Peach, and we don't really have any small and fast characters who has that potential (maybe except Diddy, though it's his bananas and not himself who owns the stage.) Despite that, I'd fear that she might end up being too much like Diddy in the eyes of other characters, and thus I can't see how she'd contribute to the balance.

Style: 10/10:
With the other things said though, Dixie would fit perfectly into the roster style-wise. There's not much to say here, everyone should be able to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom