• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: Sakurai's Four Pillars of Character Virtue, Day 23: Waluigi/Wonder Red!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 1 is over!
Ridley's scores are in!

Results:

Ridley

Uniqueness: 8.3
Appeal: 8.6
Balance: 8.7
Style: 9.1
Total: 34.7

Day 2 has begun!

Please vote on King K. Rool and discuss Little Mac!
Please look over the description of "contribution to game balance," as I did not count several scoresin this category due to their poster not addressing it as it is laid out in the original post. Only their balance scores were omitted. If you want to know if your balance score was not counted, please private message me. Also, don't forget you get two more nominations!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really wanna see what people think of them if they were playable characters. :)
Edit: It looks like we have x5 nominations
Nominates Dr. Kawashima 4x
and Nintendog 1x

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does my vote from yesterday also count? Cause I did both Ridley and King K.Rool yesterday in one post.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Little Mac:

Uniqueness: 6.5/10

He's a character that punches. Ok, that's cool. And a boxing moveset is interessting, but it's not exactly standing out in Smash Bros. Still, it has it's appeal, and while not exactly unique, it would sitll be fun. That counts for something to. Infact, I think Wii Fit Trainer offers more uniqueness than him. Which could hurt his chances of getting in in the first place.

Appeal: 7.5/10

Little Mac would be well received I think. Even though there was Punch Out for Wii, he'll appeal also to the old-skool crowd. Punch Out was apperantly a big thing. Overall, adding a boxer fighter to a game as Smash Bros. might give the game a more serious outlook in the fighter department. So he'll be noticed at least.

Balance: 6/10

Should have no problems fitting in. But due to his style being quite obvious, he might become predictable.

Style: 6.5/10

He should be a fun character to play as. But his whole quirk is quite about his lack of special appeal. He's just a dedicated boxer dude, who won't give up. Quite an offensive character maybe. So that has it's apeal, but still a rather straight-forward character. Could have some good combo game, and mainly focussed on ground game more than other characters. But he's not exactly flashy. Outside of Star Punch maybe.

26.5/40

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Okay, I must not be communicating my ideas very well. What I had intended was that on each day, we would vote on one character and discuss the next day's character. The idea was to give readers a chance to see others' opinions before voting. So because today is King K. Rool/Little Mac, you would vote on King K. Rool and discuss Little Mac(if you wish). The next day would be Little Mac/Whoever, and you would vote on Little Mac and discuss Whoever. Sorry for any confusion. I thought it would be a good way to do this. Do you guys disagree?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, I must not be communicating my ideas very well. What I had intended was that on each day, we would vote on one character and discuss the next day's character. The idea was to give readers a chance to see others' opinions before voting. So because today is King K. Rool/Little Mac, you would vote on King K. Rool and discuss Little Mac(if you wish). The next day would be Little Mac/Whoever, and you would vote on Little Mac and discuss Whoever. Sorry for any confusion. I thought it would be a good way to do this. Do you guys disagree?
I agree with this, but I hope my vote still counts from yesterday.
Anyway, Little Mac is one of my most wanted newcomers from one of my favorite games of all time. He would fit right in with all the other Nintendo all stars and even though his moveset would consist of mostly punches, there aren't any other characters like that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If anyone voted on K. Rool yesterday, please just quote your post again. It will make it much easier for me to keep track of votes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool:

Uniqueness: 10/10

Can't think of another character that would work as good and creatively as King K.Rool. He's got so many options. And especially now Bowser is looking to be reworked, adding a new extreme heavy weight with K.Rool seems a better idea than ever. He doesn't has to be extremely offensive, rather be real good at keeping others at bay with surprisingly quick moves, and projectiles. Still, he'd have amazingly strong moves to, and his crazy, maniac personality allows for a lot of freedom of choice. Also his build, and being a crocodile in general. The Blunderbuss form DKC2 alone allows for a lot of awesome moves.

Appeal: 7/10

Mostly known by Donkey Kong Country fans alone. Yet, that doesn't mean he's not a well known character. To other casuals who don't know him, he might come off as similar to Bowser, but his playstyle would convince them otherwise.

Balance: 8/10

Reasonable build to base a character of, or at least a general playstyle. Glaring weakness in speed, but would have some speedy moves. He's the only real heavy weight that actually has a great chance, so that alone would balance things out a lot. A heavy character being good at defensive options, have good speedy moves, and projectiles would certainly help making heavy characters somewhat better. Still, he could still end up being weaker than average cause he could possibly have bad jumps, be chainthrowed, bad recovery or speed.

Style: 9/10

Only loses one point cause he'll be portaited as a slow heavy weight. Those are not always the most popular of characters, but he has enough personality and moveset potential to balance that out. His moveset basically writes itself, but allows for quite some freedom to. It's really hard to make a boring King K.Rool moveset in the first place.

Total: 34/40

Louie G.

Smash Hero
KING K. ROOL

Appeal: 10/10
King K. Rool is a wacky character that everyone seems to love, including me. Would anyone complain about K. Rool in Smash? I think not.

King K. Rool has no chance at all of being a clone. Let's get that out of the way. He has many alter egos that can all be incorporated in his moveset, making him a diverse and unpredictable character. King K. Rool is also surprisingly fast for such a big guy, something not seen in Smash, and doesn't hold a sword. He would be incredibly unique.

Balance: 9/10
King K. Rool would be a big projectile fighter, something different for a heavyweight. He would have a good advantage over strict melee characters because of this, plus he would be a big strong guy like Bowser. Of course he would be easy to hit because if his size, not to mention the fact that he would almost definitely be slow, giving the upper hand to speedy lightweight characters.

Style: 10/10
I see no reason why K. Rool wouldn't fit right in along everyone else.

Score: 39/40

King K. Rool is easily one of the best possible choices for a new character.

I nominate Paper Mario and Palutena again.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This seems a cool thread, I think I may join the game.

K.Rool

A: 10/10
DKC is extremely popular, in fact the whole DK universe is; so much so Microsoft reportedly bought out Rare in hopes of owning it. Moreover it' popular both sides of the world, being huge in Japan and America. For fans of the older DK games, and there are plenty, it'd be a great addition that would make people want to buy, but those people already have DK and Diddy, so they'd be fairly likely to buy anyways. The big question is will he be a fan favorite, will he cause enough hype with the DKC fans (who already have reason to buy the game) for it to bubble up over into the wider audience? YES! Simply because K.Rool has been out of action for such a long time (at least in a fighting role).
So it'll certainly bring up the overall hype of the game, but how will it effect smash fans unfamiliar with him? Well, I think he'll do okay. He's a pirate and a crocodile, and he looks pretty funny as a fat ass. He's an appealing character with his expressions, and his trailer would probably have the final boss theme from DKC 1 playing, which should certainly be exciting for people unfamiliar, if a bit confusing for the first few bars. I think he'll be taken well, and get people interested in him, and smash by looking up the awesome hype the DKC fans will drum up. In all, I see few characters who have better appeal.

U: 7/10
He's a heavy weight character, who's a king, harassing with ranged attacks, and with powerful melee attacks... Sounds a lot like Dedede to me. He would however have more range options, and likely less reach making him less chain grabby. Is that enough difference? Probably, but not super convincingly.. That said, he certainly wouldn't be a clone, which is always nice.
Aesthetically though he'd be very unique though, with his slapstick facial expressions, size and proportions, and ya know, being a crocodile. His Blunderbuss would also be a new look for smash with a gun, so casuals would think it massively different to Dedede just on how he looks.

S: 10/10
Cooky and charming, he'd fit right into brawl. And imagine those faces in the daily screenshots; Sakurai would have a field day. He's possibly a little cute for a villian, but in smash that's a bonus; he should be empathetic, even if it's in his buffoonery.

B: 9.5/10
We really only have 1 projectile based heavy weight, and he's much shorter ranged, has fewer projectiles zones, and is more chain and reach happy. K.Rool would play differently enough to not feel very different, and have advantages and disadvantage over him. In fact he's be learning a lot from Wolf with his high damage, but with less chasing down, and probably a bit less aggression. He doesn't add a huge amount to the game, but he does balance it by adding an alternate projectile based heavy... Though if Ganondorf got a projectile (like he deserves) he'd be even less unique and adding to a fairly represented strategy, thus the .5 reduction.

As for mac he certainly brings a lot to the game design wise (there're no other boxers), and his AT shows he fits pretty well. It's really odd to think a boxer would be unique in a fighting game, but in this game he really would be... He's be fast and combo based, with hit and run possibilities, so I see him playing a game between a lot of characters too. The thing that worries me most is his appeal; he's a beloved character, and Punch Out Wii was well received, but he's a boxer in a fighting game... He won't be exciting for none fans surely?

I double nominate Slime from Dragon Quest (3rd party votes are allowed right?)

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 2 is over!

The results for King K. Rool are in!

King K. Rool
Uniqueness: 9
Appeal: 9
Balance: 8.8
Style: 9.7
Total: 36.5

As you can see, he beat out Ridley in every category!

Day 3: Little Mac/Paper Mario has begun!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok Little Mac,

Uniqueness: 9, Mac would be the only character that using a real world fighting style
Appeal: 10 Little Mac is a retro Icon and is known to modern gamers thanks to the Wii game.
Balance: 8 Little Mac could play as a high risk character that capitalizes on his foes mistakes
Style:7 (to come)

Paper Mario
Uniqueness: 5 Paper Mario is both a different form of Mario and another 2d Character like Game and Watch.
Appeal: 8 Although Sticker Star was a bit of a let down, Paper Mario remains popular
Balence: 8 Paper Mario has a huge list of potential moves, completely different from flesh Mario.
Style: 10 (to come)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sweet justice! K.Rool finally got his position higher than that overhyped overgrown lizard. :rolleyes:

Here's my Little Mac analysis from yesterday:

Little Mac:

Uniqueness: 6.5/10

He's a character that punches. Ok, that's cool. And a boxing moveset is interessting, but it's not exactly standing out in Smash Bros. Still, it has it's appeal, and while not exactly unique, it would sitll be fun. That counts for something to. Infact, I think Wii Fit Trainer offers more uniqueness than him. Which could hurt his chances of getting in in the first place.

Appeal: 7.5/10

Little Mac would be well received I think. Even though there was Punch Out for Wii, he'll appeal also to the old-skool crowd. Punch Out was apperantly a big thing. Overall, adding a boxer fighter to a game as Smash Bros. might give the game a more serious outlook in the fighter department. So he'll be noticed at least.

Balance: 6/10

Should have no problems fitting in. But due to his style being quite obvious, he might become predictable.

Style: 6.5/10

He should be a fun character to play as. But his whole quirk is quite about his lack of special appeal. He's just a dedicated boxer dude, who won't give up. Quite an offensive character maybe. So that has it's apeal, but still a rather straight-forward character. Could have some good combo game, and mainly focussed on ground game more than other characters. But he's not exactly flashy. Outside of Star Punch maybe.

26.5/40
I'll refrain from posting about Paper Mario till tomorrow. Cause if I start typing, I might as well do the whole rating. And last 3 days I've done the same thing so...

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
King K Rool beating Ridley in every category... Even if I probably would rate Ridley lower in every category except maybe appeal... I'd still much rather have him >:3 Moving on.
Little Mac
Uniqueness: 8/10 He would certainly have a unique play style but that wouldn't make it an interesting one.
Appeal: 8.5/10 He's a pretty well known dude for the most part. Any lost points would be due to how he actually plays as a character
Balance: 7/10 Doesn't strike me as someone who would end up over/underpowered so he could probably work
Style: 8//10 well if people liked Marth I guess Good ole Mac shouldn't have much of a problem
31.5/40... I think.
PAPAH MARIO! I'd think he'd have a low appeal but we'll see...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alrighty. Here goes.

MAC BABY:

Uniqueness: 9/10
This is probably the most debated of what Little Mac would bring to Smash. Little Mac is a boxer, nothing more nothing less, so punches are his attacks of choice. Although punches seem boring at first, you have to stop and think about the fact that Little Mac has attacks like the Star Uppercut and a counter punch, way different than the punches of, say, Mario. Also, there is no other character in Smash that is strictly punches. The closest to this is Captain Falcon, and comparing Mac and Cap is very tough to do.

Appeal: 8/10
There are those people who say that Little Mac would be boring, but that's about the only appeal issue. Anyone who's played Punch Out knows that the game is bursting with personality, and the people who have played and fallen in love with the classic game (like me) are the ones who advocate so strongly for Little Mac. There's only a few people who don't think Mac would work or don't like him, so his appeal is very strong. And also the Japanese are a bit of an issue.

Balance: 10/10
I think this is the category where Mac exceeds. He could have some quick attacks and be quite speedy, giving big, slow characters like Ganondorf some trouble. His weakness would be projectile characters like Olimar and Mega Man, who can hit this strict melee-er from a distance. There is more, but overall balance is not much of an issue for Mac.

Although he's just a normal guy from the Bronx, he is a Nintendo icon and is very well known among American NES owners. He'd fit in with the other classic Nintendo characters quite well, and bring a new fighting style to Smash. Little Mac would have absolutely no issues fitting in.

Overall 36/40
I don't know if I'm bias towards him since Punch Out is one of my favorite games of all time, but Little Mac seems like a perfect fit along the likes of Mario and Link.

Edit: Oh right, nominations.
Palutena and Takamaru.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanna nominate Isaac and Impa. Cause I haven't last 3 days or so...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Little Mac:

A: 6.5/10
A lot of people know mac, and I can't imagine many of them not liking his inclusion; there are also plenty of huge Punch Out fans out there, and they'd love it. I also think a swathe of competitive players would love a back to basics character like Mac, but how would everyone else feel? I imagine pretty underwhelmed. He's just a boxer? And while a few may remember him as the assist trophy, I think most of those will think he was better off staying that way.

U: 9.5/10
Being a boxer in most fighting games is already fairly unique among crazy martial arts, but in smash among laser shooting space women and electric rodents it's even more unique. Wii Fit Trainer may take some of the thunder of the bad ass normal, but I think mac would still be unique style wise. His fighting style would also be pretty unique being simply boxing; he'd have good combos but ultimately he's an out fighter, and should encourage dodging (for star punches).

S: 8/10
Being just a boxer may seem out of place in the wacky world of smash, but he's stylised enough to not look out of place, and he fit pretty well as an assist trophy, though not as well as Saki for sure. He's a bit bigger now, and has a cooler, more sleak design, which would help him look more the part, and he has plenty of character in his animations and taunts, so I think he'd fit pretty well.

B: 9/10
We really need a good hit and run character, and since sonic didn't pull it off that well Mac would make a great second choice. Outfighting your opponent, side stepping projectiles and slamming in a star punch in your opponents face would be a new strategy, and bring new depth to the game when fighting him. If sonic gets made into a better hit and run character then you still help add to a small group, if not he stands almost alone in the out fighting role.

Noms:
Slime, Dillon

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Oh this looks like fun.

Appeal: 6/10
Punch-Out is a big name franchise. While it has no interest to me, I can't deny that it's been very long running. But I don't think it'd appeal too much to people who aren't Punch-Out fans and that he'd get a lot of backlash for being "just a puncher. He doesn't do much".

Uniqueness: 6/10
Boxing is something only Little Mac can do. It comes down to how unique boxing is in a fighting game though.

Balance: 2/10
I don't think he'd be balanced very well due to the short range of his attacks and lack of disjointed hit boxes. Would probably be very linear limiting his abilities.

Style: 5/10
He'd probably fit in well but I do have my doubts due to balance problems I have with him.

Total: 19/40

Nomz: Bowser Jr. x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 3 is over!

Little Mac
Uniqueness: 8
Appeal: 7.8
Balance: 8.3
Style: 7.3
Total: 32.2

Day 4: Paper Mario/Isaac

Please analyze Isaac and vote on Paper Mario! You also get two more nominations.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario

Uniqueness: 4/10
As already said by others, Paper Mario would only be a mix of Mario and Mr.Game&Watch. Mr.Game&Watch is special because he is the only 2d character in the roster. So adding another 2d character like Paper Mario would remove one of the points where you can say Mr.Game&Watch is/was unique. Also, it would be another "form" of Mario and there are some moves where I honestly have to say that I can't imagine so many differences in terms of original and unique moves. Still, at least the paper style would add something different to the roster. Imagine Paper Mario being hit and falling like a piece of paper on the ground. Would be funny and all, but I don't feel he's really a great addition to the roster from Brawl.

Appeal: 5/10
Another Mario wouldn't really be a good reason to buy Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS. It's just like Dr.Mario: The same character in a different style. I don't say Paper Mario would be a copy of Mario, but in people's mind Mario stays Mario and it doesn't matter if it's Paper Mario, Mario, Dr.Mario or another "form" of Mario.

Balance: 8/10
I think Paper Mario wouldn't be that difficult to balance. He could easily have a few weak points as well as some strong points so he would have advantage and disadvantage towards other characters.

Style: 7/10
To be honest, I think Paper Mario could have a Smash Bros typical moveset. Nothing totally revolutionary, but still something that would fit.

Total: 24/40

I think Paper Mario isn't that bad, but all in all he's not really the great addition neither.

Next will be Isaac. Well, Isaac is another swordsmen, so in terms of uniqueness, I guess he will have difficulties to be recognized as one very unique character. Sakurai needs to get a really unique moveset. Also, Golden Sun is a great franchise, but I feel like there are many people that haven't played Golden Sun and so he wouldn't be the argument to buy Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS. Speaking of balance, I think Isaac would fit and wouldn't be too difficult to balance. Swordsmen work in Smash Bros style, so I see no reason why Isaac shouldn't fit in the style.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Paper Mario:

It's a stupid argument, it really is, but many people think Paper Mario would be a Mario clone. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would make Paper Mario a clone, but it is a possibility (due to the Links and Dr. Mario). To anyone who thinks differently, Paper Mario would be a terrific addition to the roster and would become very unique and fun to play as, with his hammer, paper abilities, and more.

Uniqueness: 8/10
Again with the clone argument, I'll skip that, but Paper Mario can become a very unique character. Although he could come across similar to Game and Watch, he has many different powers and the way he works would be a lot different (folding himself into a paper airplane for example). I don't know why a character MADE OF PAPER wouldn't be unique.

A floaty light character that can get hit around and KO'ed easily, Paper Mario wouldn't be without weaknesses. But his strongpoints can easily make up for this, with his heavy-hitting hammer, decent speed and possibly great recovery. He could be a very well balanced character if done right.

Honestly, I have no idea why PM would have any problems fitting in. He would fit in extremely well with the new art style too.

Total: 35/40
Paper Mario is in my Top 5 most wanted newcomers (possibly even number one) and can be very unique, fun, and most of all break the chain of multiple versions of characters being clones.

Nominations: Palutena and Takamaru

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Paper Mario:

A more difficult one to decide on because it really depends on how the character's designed. Is it Mario with a hammer who happens to be flat, or would it be more based on his flatness and paper craft.. IF his up-B has him folding up into a paper plane, and I'll for him, if not then he's kinda just Mario.

Because there's not enough information about which version we're talking I abstain from voting today.

Noms: Slime/Dillon

As for Isaac I think he'd be a good fit. While he is a sword user his psyenergy gives him advantage over the others; and Djinn attacks could easily make tilts and smashes with really interesting effects. As for style, he already looked great as an AT in Brawl, so he'll certainly fit in well, and his combination of psyenergy and swordsmanship would be interesting, but not out of place in smash either. Balance wise he could play a zoning based (fairly) heavy character (he is a Venus Adept), which would be crazily good for a defensive playstyle, something I'm not sure we have, at least not in the way Isaac could do it. He further brings in extra sources of Grass moves, and Water/Fire if Djinn make for Smashes and Tilts; I'd expect there'd be more water than fire, so he'd really help balance out the type effectiveness on pokémon trainer.
Appeals his real issue; and I feel he missed the boat. Golden Sun was all sorts of popular back before brawl as clearly the best jRPGs on GBA at the time, but then the FF4-6 remakes happened, and the DS got Etrain odyssey and much more. Goldn Sun's still great, but it's certainly got more competition and the third game didn't sell all that well... Back in Brawl it would've been a big appeal, now though I think it would only effect the big Golden Sun fans.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Paper Mario votes (including analysis)
1. [appeal] 6/10. It's another Mario. Paper Mario has a distinct look, his neat paper gimmick and his own moves (e.g. his hammer), but including twice as many Marios as the last game isn't going to get many people any more excited.

2. [uniqueness] 4/10. It's Mario, but flat. Mario and even Luigi have the Mario-ness aspect covered, and Smash already has a unique 2D character in Mr G&W. We also have three hammer-wielding fighters already, so his signature hammer isn't doing much for him. His paper gimmick helps him stand out (e.g. he can turn into a paper airplane), but not very much. Or perhaps he could rely on his partner abilities for much of his moveset.

3. [style] 10/10. He'd work just fine.

4. [balance] 7/10. He'd work just fine, but I could see him feeling too similar to Mario or Luigi.

Overall: 27/40.

Isaac analysis:
1. [appeal] He's a hard sell. On the surface, he looks like yet another swordsman, and he's not a particularly well-known character. I can see people taking one glance at him at get excited about it.

He actually has a lot going for him, with all of his psyergy powers (earth magic and telekinesis). He hardly needs a sword at all. If his moveset makes good use of his unique abilities, and the promotional movie/images emphasize them, I can see people getting excited to see everything the Isaac can bring Smash.

2. [uniqueness] He's a telekinetic-focused psychic who commands earth and plantlife. He can conjure earthen spires, thorny vines, earthquakes. He can manipulate objects (and opponents) with his mind.

There are no earth-focused characters in Smash yet. Aside from DK's earthquake-esque hand slap and Charizard's rock smash, I can't think of any other earth or rock-based moves. There's a lot that he can do with earth abilities. Isaac can also control plantlife, and Ivysaur is the only character in Smash with any moves of that sort.

Smash has three psychics, but Ness and Lucas' psychic powers are thunder, fire and ice attacks for the most part. Mewtwo is a closer match, but many of its abilities are just generic energy attacks. Isaac is focused on telekinesis, using his psychic hand to push, grab, and throw opponents. He could have moves that manipulate his opponents in other ways, similar to a few of Mewtwo's special moves, but Isaac has such a wide range of potential abilities that he could have completely unique moves instead.

He's got a sword, like a few characters already do, but I can imagine a moveset where he barely uses it.

3. [style] He'd fit in perfectly.

4. [balance] He has so many psynergy abilities at his disposal that would make him stand out from other characters and could be tailored to any desired gameplay niche.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
To be honest a lot of these aspects seem to clash with one another, but I cracked a shot at this since Paper Mario is a unique case here.

Appeal: 8/10. As unique and fun to play as he would be, a lot of people would just think of him as "another Mario." Toon Link gets plenty of flak for this, even if Paper Mario would have the advantage of a unique moveset over Toon Link. There's also the possibility of it mostly taking from Sticker Star, a highly controversial game among Paper Mario fans, althoguh I don't see this being too much of a problem. Still, he would be a really quirky and enjoyable character, so I'd give him a solid 8/10.

Uniqueness: Paper Mario could have plenty of unique properties. He has an incredibly large pool of moves to borrow from, with four games under his belt. A potentially unique partner system could also help shake things up a bit. He'd be a really light and floaty character with some quick moves and some heavy hitters - his specials could have some unique properties, and he could easily have a moveset unlike any other characters. 8/10

Balance: Although the concept of a "flat" character is already taken by Game & Watch, the two don't really compare at all imo. Game & Watch's appeal comes from his lack of any color or details, incredibly choppy animation, and 8-bit sound effects. The character just screams "retro video game." Paper Mario, on the other hand, has a lot more going for him than simply being 2D. His appeal comes not from the fact that he's flat, but because he's literally made of paper. Whereas Game & Watch is designed to look retro, Paper Mario is a lot more cartoony in his style, floating downwards like a sheet of paper, cartoony explosions and special effects, spinning around and clearly being flat, flipping into another dimension to avoid attacks. It's a completely different style and one that would easily stand out from the other characters. 9/10

Style: Would fitin perfectly with the style of Smash Bros. I see no obstacles. 10/10

Overall: 35/40.

Skull Kid X2

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
To be honest a lot of these aspects seem to clash with one another, but I cracked a shot at this since Paper Mario is a unique case here.

Appeal: 8/10. As unique and fun to play as he would be, a lot of people would just think of him as "another Mario." Toon Link gets plenty of flak for this, even if Paper Mario would have the advantage of a unique moveset over Toon Link. There's also the possibility of it mostly taking from Sticker Star, a highly controversial game among Paper Mario fans, althoguh I don't see this being too much of a problem. Still, he would be a really quirky and enjoyable character, so I'd give him a solid 8/10.

Uniqueness: Paper Mario could have plenty of unique properties. He has an incredibly large pool of moves to borrow from, with four games under his belt. A potentially unique partner system could also help shake things up a bit. He'd be a really light and floaty character with some quick moves and some heavy hitters - his specials could have some unique properties, and he could easily have a moveset unlike any other characters. 8/10

Balance: Although the concept of a "flat" character is already taken by Game & Watch, the two don't really compare at all imo. Game & Watch's appeal comes from his lack of any color or details, incredibly choppy animation, and 8-bit sound effects. The character just screams "retro video game." Paper Mario, on the other hand, has a lot more going for him than simply being 2D. His appeal comes not from the fact that he's flat, but because he's literally made of paper. Whereas Game & Watch is designed to look retro, Paper Mario is a lot more cartoony in his style, floating downwards like a sheet of paper, cartoony explosions and special effects, spinning around and clearly being flat, flipping into another dimension to avoid attacks. It's a completely different style and one that would easily stand out from the other characters. 9/10

Style: Would fitin perfectly with the style of Smash Bros. I see no obstacles. 10/10

Overall: 35/40.

Skull Kid X2
sorry I can't let you with this post by a little like

but what you just explain clearly why he's so underated. seriously THANK YOU

wind waker is my personal favorite zelda game for one reason: the design. toon link is "another link" BUT, he's not an edit of link he's a completely new design so different that it actually doesn't seem that I'm playing with THE link

the same goes for paper mario but in his case, he has a big advantage over toon link: he's uniqueness's potential. you don't have this feel with dr mario because it seems you're plating with the same mario with a doctor suit

sorry for disturbing this game but I had to say it

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 4 is over!

Results:

Paper Mario

Uniqueness: 6
Appeal: 6.5
Balance: 8.5
Style: 9.3
Total: 30.3

Day 5: Isaac/Palutena

Please analyze Palutena and vote on Isaac!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isaac:

Very hard to compete with Isaac here. Psynergy in it's pure form alone makes up his moveset, but he still has potential for sword attacks, Summoning, Djinn attacks... Really, there's nothing he cannot do. He could even focus on all 4 elements of Earth, Fire, Water and Wind, but I'm guessing he'll be using Earth attacks mostly. That alone, is also highly unique.

Appeal: 9/10

Golden Sun fans will go crazy for him. And he's from a new series, who was actually wanted for this game. And even for Brawl. Assist Trophy made playable also has it's appeal. Besides, Isaac's design is comparable to Marth / Roy / Ike's, and those have always been popular characters. His flashy moves and Earth-manipulation would surely attract many new fans to.

He offers a lot what many can't. Psychic abilities, Earth-based attacks, a focus mostly on ground play? He's set to stand out.

Only thing that goes against him is that he could use a sword for a few attacks. Not that swords aren't cool or wouldn't attract... :rolleyes:

Total: 38/40

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Isaac:

DK has an earthquake, Link has a sword, Ivysaur has Grass moves (and Megaman/Villager now I guess).. but no-one has an earth spire, no-one has such range of elemental smashes (djinn, a couple aerials could be djinn based too), and no-one has the combinations he has. His Move psyenergy would be good for spacing too, and a floating hand's unique as heck, especially given Catch could easily make for a great tether grab. He has so much potential it's hard to see how he wouldn't be hugely OP, but get him in the air and he should be fairly useless (he's a Venus Adept). He'd be a ground based zoning defensive type, with pretty good weight, which is something new gameplay wise too. He may be a sword user, but he's no standard fighter.

He was pretty heavily wanted in Brawl, enough to make an AT, so that side of the fandom would still be interested, but it's certainly lessened over the years, especially with the fairly poor sales of Dark Dawn. I was going to give him 6, then though to give him 5 because he's a sword user, and most smash fans hate them for some reason; but then I thought about how we get reveals now, with trailers, and a fair bit of information about how the character plays. Anyone who thinks he'd be another sword user would be surely mistaken, and this would be made really clear with the trailer showing off all those moves. In all it's just a shame the character's not as popular as in Brawl's day, because then he'd probably get a 10, but people are forgetting Golden Sun, or think it's old hat.. I know fans of the first two games who didn't even know about Dark Dawn 'till I told them.. He'll look really cool, but I don't think he's going to be in the most wanted characters list for many people.

Ground based zoning with all those moves, that in places don't exist on any other character. He'd fill a niche no-one I can think of could do better. He'd also bring more Grass moves to the game for PKMN Trainer's type effectiveness. Just read the uniqueness section and try and think of a character who could play like him... I can't. He'd balance out the roster fantastically.

Look at that Brawl AT; he doesn't fit in perfectly for only one reason; he's too bright. Brawl is a dark game colour wise, 4 isn't, he'd fit in fine.. No, Great! He'd look right at home in the wacky, and now more colourful, world of Smash, even with a sword.

Noms: Slime, Dillon

As for Palutena, she'd be pretty boss too, but notably less so in my opinion. She'd have some really interesting projectiles, a cool look, and going by her boss fight she'd pretty heavy, but also be floaty as all heck; Mewtwo, Ness and Lucas kinda do these anyway, though her different projectiles patterns would still make her a cool projectile from above type character. She'd not be super unique in play-style, but probably more focused on it than the MOTHER duo, making her somewhat different in being the new ultimate floaty ranged spammer, and fairly terrible at melee. Centurions are pretty cool too. She's only a touch above average in appeal and balance, and her appeal has issues given her small number of appearances, but KI:U fans love the bickering, and thus love Palutena, which certainly gives her appeal for fans, and she's 3rd most wanted newcomer on Rate Their Chances, so she's certainly much liked. Given KI:U was one of the first worthwhile 3DS games a lot of people have come across her and probably will think she's pretty cool inclusion, if not actively want her, so I really think appeal is her stand out stat. Style would work too, she looks the part, she'd totally fit in with smash, though she could end up looking a bit too much like Pit with her colour palette.. She's a lady too, which is good for roster balance, though I don't think Sakurai thinks that way, so not sure it counts for much.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Isaac

A heavy magic user, kind of like what Ganon should have been, except with earth/plant magic. His sword attacks would probably be similar to the other sword users, but his psyenergy would more than make up for that.

Appeal: 10/10
Certainly a popular character choice among fans.

Style: 8/10
Not the most distinctive character design, but he does get a lot of cool points.

With plenty of different powers, there's more than enough options to balance him while still staying true to his character.

Total: 37/40

I nominate Tiki (Fire Emblem) and Takamaru.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Isaac:

He carries a sword, but that's the only generic thing about him. His psyenergy could be very interesting. Not much more to say here really.

Definitely a very wanted character, but the only reason it's a 9 is because he's a little obscure to some people. But yeah, Isaac is a very likable character who is well wanted and could be pretty fun.

Not a problem, Isaac would do a great job fitting in. He's cool, and his style of fighting can translate very well into Smash.

Not much to say, I see no reason why balance would be an issue.

Wow, Isaac is a great choice!
I'm not too far into Golden Sun, but I already find Isaac likable and would like the addition of Psyenergy in Smash. Although I don't believe Isaac will make it in this time, his inclusion is far from impossible, and I would be very happy to see him.
On a side note, I want him to be a kid, not an adult.

Nominations: Takamaru and Dixie Kong

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
Nominates Sukapon and Doshin the Giant(not fan of him,but his gameplay could be funny).

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Day 5 is over!

Results:
Isaac

Uniqueness: 9.5
Appeal: 8.6
Balance: 10
Style: 9.3
Total: 37.4

Day 7: Please vote on Palutena and analyze Slime!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Palutena:

See, some people say Palutena would be a Zelda clone, but I beg to differ. He slow moving magic projectiles would definitely feel quite familiar to Zelda users, but Palutena's attacks would mainly be light based, and if she gets moves from her boss battle, she will be completely different than Zelda. Not to mention she would be a heavyweight girl. Not too many of those in Smash, are there? Oh yeah, and she would use a staff. So long to Krystal's originality. :troll:

Does anyone who played Kid Icarus Uprising NOT like Palutena? She's funny, pretty, and smart, with tons of personality. Plus, she's the obvious new Kid Icarus rep. Anyone who says differently is wrong. Of course there is a small group of haters out there, but it's very minimal.

No problems here. She'd be kinda slow and floaty I imagine, but with some heavy-hitting light projectiles and a good recovery to make up for it. Really, not too many characters have balance problems.

We need more Smash sisters, and Palutena is first in line. Her fighting style and look fits in perfectly with Super Smash Bros! Female + Magic User + Staff = Perfect fit!

Palutena for Super Bash Sisters, err, I mean, Super Smash Bros!

Nominations: Takamaru x2. Come on, lets get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom