• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've played SSBWiiU a month after it came out, competitively. And now, I hit a dead end after coming to a conclusive fact:

I suck.

But I want to un-suck, starting now. Looking for a training partner, preferably one very skilled, with a stable Internet connection, and ability to voice chat with me.

Thanks in advance.
I just noticed you're from KCMO. Are you making it out to events, and which ones? I'll be at the Basement on Friday and I make all of Lux's smash 4 tournaments, and I'd be more than happy to take a few minutes going over things with you (or anyone honestly) in person at one of these events. If you're not in touch with the KC smash 4 scene, you should definitely join the Kansas Stock Market (KSM) on Facebook; it's where most of the coordinating takes place (and Lux also watches it pretty closely, and he's probably the best teacher of the game in the area).

Also, believe me, anyone can improve at these games; it just takes some dedication and sometimes some rethinking of a few things you do when you play. In person tournaments are the way to learn best, and given that we're from the same city, I happen to know a few things about your local scene.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
This may be a pretty broad question but how do you improve on your fundamentals? Things like reading, adapting, pressuring? I've been plateauing hard recently but I still have the drive to improve. Thing is: I notice that I'm not picking the right options compared to my opponents, rather, I react to the stuff they do and just try to hit them with any combo-starter and try to hit them. I realise that this is the wrong approach to the game but I can't seem to grasp the mindset you're supposed to have. I'm not looking for an immediate solution, but I'm barely improving at any rate.
Not sure if im breaking any rules, but bump.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Not sure if im breaking any rules, but bump.
Mainly, work on remembering what moves are best for a situation rather then going for combo starting moves all the time. Just take the game a little slower, and react the way you think you should. Also, do remember the "rock-paper-scissors" of Shield, Attack, and Grab. It's very general and is a bit more complex then that, but that's the basics to it. Maybe go to the Shiek boards and try to learn about your options though, maybe even learn some matchup advice to learn what you should do to react to certain moves and strategies as well.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hmm, time to practice stuff you're probably missing out on, get fresh ideas and try to kill the monotony of what you're trying to do.

Simplest answer though is to start thinking about mid-range gameplay more (which applies to most characters). "Don't get hit" and getting the hits that you want (or pressuring them into a bad position). Getting the hits that you want means using it when the opportunity presents itself.

You should try to get replays of your stuff uploaded and go to specific character boards for critiques.

Last edited:

PlawX

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlawxZ
First and foremost, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post there so bare with me.

I'm having what they would call a mid main crisis. I started out playing Wario, then I switched it up to Luigi. But I'm looking for something different. I like characters that are versatile in their play. I want to be able to adapt from offensive and defensive play on the fly with the character having the moveset to adapt with me. So, I guess what I'm asking here is for you to sell me on your main or suggest someone who sounds like they would fit my style. You can even argue for me to continue to play Wario\Luigi. I just want some help with finding out someone I'd enjoy playing as I'm about to start going to tournaments.

I'm on my phone at work to bare with me on the lack of content in the post. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I remember someone saying this game hopefully gets increased hitstun in the next balancing patch. I was one who felt it was balanced fairly ok as far as hitstun but now I see exactly what that person was talking about. A lot of times when you hits someone they can hit you back immediately, so you're not rewarded for actually landing a difficult move as you once were in previous smash's like for example toon links/villagers/ down smash lower to the stage, ect. I'd also say the lack of end lag versus the ability to defend in time in this game seems off/unbalanced unless its mainly an online issue. So anyway what advice would you give against speedy characters if you use slow projectile based characters like megaman/toonlink. Speedy characters (marios,yoshi's, luigi's) can throw out attacks and shield before your attacks can come out.

PlawX

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlawxZ
Mario, Sheik, Pikachu, Fox.
I was looking at those 4, I would love to play Mario but in the group of friends I play with quite a few play Mario and I'd rather not seem like a bandwagoner in that regard.

Does anyone else have an opinion on who I should try out?

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Ok, This is my 2nd/3rd week owning Smash 3ds and I need help with competitive gameplay. I can easily defeat level 9s with my main and secondaries, but I suck in for glory mode (24% of the time, my greatest weaknesses are in the match: :4peach:1%&:4greninja:23&). I don't ask because of tournaments, (since there is NOTHING near I live.) but I just want to do good in for glory and beat some of my friends who are better than me sometimes. Where do I start, and what do I do?

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Ok, This is my 2nd/3rd week owning Smash 3ds and I need help with competitive gameplay. I can easily defeat level 9s with my main and secondaries, but I suck in for glory mode (24% of the time, my greatest weaknesses are in the match: :4peach:1%&:4greninja:23&). I don't ask because of tournaments, (since there is NOTHING near I live.) but I just want to do good in for glory and beat some of my friends who are better than me sometimes. Where do I start, and what do I do?
First off, keep playing. Only way to improve is to keep playing. CPUs are a TERRIBLE way to improve, aside from basic technical skills. I recommend reading up on your mains, watching replays, and overall, practice.

Arzak

Smash Cadet
How does meteor-canceling work in this game? Is it the same as Brawl? Is it in Smash4 at all?

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
How does one prectice when there is no internet or people around? I know computers dont really cut it. And prcticing on a non moving character is redundant due to the fact they are not moving.

(s)hulkinator

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I am not new to smash, but I am newly getting into the more technical aspect of gameplay. I have two questions I would love to have the answer to:

1. When is it the most opportune to use pivot ftilts and pivot grabs? I am trying to find cues in the opponent of when to use them but I often feel like im not using them at the right times. So what cues should I look for in the opponent of when to use pivot ftilts and pivot grabs?

2. What button configuration is seen as the most efficient and best in terms of movement efficiency? Im sure there's multiple views and answers depending on character and playstyle, but I main Shulk, so Im using aerials alot. Right now I just use x to jump and then input my aerial on the c stick and still have air control using the left analog stick. But this method is cumbersome since it requires quick, deft right thumb movement from the x button to the c stick. I also have the c-stick on smash and I didn't know if there was a competitive standard for this either. (Also I keep tap jump off already) What button configuration would you suggest?

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Hey guys, I am not new to smash, but I am newly getting into the more technical aspect of gameplay. I have two questions I would love to have the answer to:

1. When is it the most opportune to use pivot ftilts and pivot grabs? I am trying to find cues in the opponent of when to use them but I often feel like im not using them at the right times. So what cues should I look for in the opponent of when to use pivot ftilts and pivot grabs?

2. What button configuration is seen as the most efficient and best in terms of movement efficiency? Im sure there's multiple views and answers depending on character and playstyle, but I main Shulk, so Im using aerials alot. Right now I just use x to jump and then input my aerial on the c stick and still have air control using the left analog stick. But this method is cumbersome since it requires quick, deft right thumb movement from the x button to the c stick. I also have the c-stick on smash and I didn't know if there was a competitive standard for this either. (Also I keep tap jump off already) What button configuration would you suggest?
Pivot F-tilts should be used to punish a few get up options and push opponents away, and pivot grabs should be used to punish potential rolls and shields.

Control scheme is preference. Do you feel tilts or smash attacks are more important? Also, Tap Jump is also a preference, as I use it and play just fine.

how do you DI in smash 4
Hold a direction after being attacked. If smashed, do it towards the stage, if in a combo, it's kinda combo specific, but just try to DI away from the enemy generally. It's a lot more simple then it'd sound. :>

How does one prectice when there is no internet or people around? I know computers dont really cut it. And prcticing on a non moving character is redundant due to the fact they are not moving.
You might not be able to practice getting reads, but practice your combos, approach options, and mixing up what you do against CPUs, to at least try to get good habits. I'd recommend at least finding some people to play with, if you can.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
I've got a few questions.

1. Can you adjust the buffer time in any way? It constantly gets in the way of my OoS moves, tilts, dash to shield, etc, especially online.

2. How do you turn around quickly for a bair? I always end up dashing the other way.

3. How do you DI out of combos such as little Mac's jabs?

4. How do you deal with someone who chases their projectiles? The prime example is ZSS, she stuns then throws and upairs. Rolling, spot dodging, and shielding don't seem to work. Neither does baiting it.

5. How do you deal with opponents who roll constantly? I seem to have terrible luck predicting the roll, and if I do. I can't time or act fast enough to punish it before they roll or shield or even attack.

Thanks a!

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I've got a few questions.

1. Can you adjust the buffer time in any way? It constantly gets in the way of my OoS moves, tilts, dash to shield, etc, especially online.

2. How do you turn around quickly for a bair? I always end up dashing the other way.

3. How do you DI out of combos such as little Mac's jabs?

4. How do you deal with someone who chases their projectiles? The prime example is ZSS, she stuns then throws and upairs. Rolling, spot dodging, and shielding don't seem to work. Neither does baiting it.

5. How do you deal with opponents who roll constantly? I seem to have terrible luck predicting the roll, and if I do. I can't time or act fast enough to punish it before they roll or shield or even attack.

Thanks a!
1. No, but remember you can only buffer one action at a time. In previous games you could (for example) uair and during the uair animation buffer a jump and then another uair. In this game you can only buffer the jump, then you may input the uair.

2. Know the difference between a dash and run. If you're in a run, tapping the other direction will put you in a slow turnaround animation. Tap the other direction and jump straight away. Perform a bair. Congratulations, you performed a reverse aerial rush.

3. Hold away or up and away. You can try quarter circle SDI away but I'm not sure if it's more effective. Do not hold down and try to shield as it won't work. If they start the jab combo too close you can hold towards them and escape behind them.

4. Jump. You can also crouch as Puff, I think.

5. Use your great aerial mobility to put yourself in a position where you are always a distance from a character that if they roll you can get to where their roll will end before they do. Style on them with rest.

Taijem

Smash Rookie
NNID
taijem
I just got a wii u nit to long and im looking to start going competitive with smash need a mentor, My Skype Is: Taijem

Gavos112

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gavos112
I just noticed you're from KCMO. Are you making it out to events, and which ones? I'll be at the Basement on Friday and I make all of Lux's smash 4 tournaments, and I'd be more than happy to take a few minutes going over things with you (or anyone honestly) in person at one of these events. If you're not in touch with the KC smash 4 scene, you should definitely join the Kansas Stock Market (KSM) on Facebook; it's where most of the coordinating takes place (and Lux also watches it pretty closely, and he's probably the best teacher of the game in the area).

Also, believe me, anyone can improve at these games; it just takes some dedication and sometimes some rethinking of a few things you do when you play. In person tournaments are the way to learn best, and given that we're from the same city, I happen to know a few things about your local scene.
Looking at this KSM...it hasn't been active since like, last June. Are you sure about this?

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
Could someone look at the replays of me and my bro and give feedback???
Did you upload them online or something? I'd be fine with giving feedback if I saw them. Not saying I'm some kind of exceptional player, but I could point out some bad habits, mistakes, etc.

Last edited:

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
I havent yet uploaded them but I can
That'd be great!

Alright, I have a question about DI. I DI horizontally when I'm knocked vertically, and vector towards the stage when I'm knocked horizontally. Do I have the right idea, or am I missing something? DI really doesn't seem as strong in this game, so I'm trying to get maximum survivability.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Alright, I have a question about DI. I DI horizontally when I'm knocked vertically, and vector towards the stage when I'm knocked horizontally. Do I have the right idea, or am I missing something? DI really doesn't seem as strong in this game, so I'm trying to get maximum survivability.
That is generally how it works, yeah. There's also a factor regarding "launch speed", in which holding up on the control stick increases the knockback you take and thus the distance you travel (useful for getting out of combos at low percents) and holding down decreases it. This is why trying to "DI toward the corner" by holding up like you would in previous Smash games actually gets you killed earlier in Smash 4 than if you didn't do anything at all. Holding down to decrease your launch speed can be combined with horizontal vectoring if you fear that an attack with kill you off the top sooner than it would to the sides.

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
That is generally how it works, yeah. There's also a factor regarding "launch speed", in which holding up on the control stick increases the knockback you take and thus the distance you travel (useful for getting out of combos at low percents) and holding down decreases it. This is why trying to "DI toward the corner" by holding up like you would in previous Smash games actually gets you killed earlier in Smash 4 than if you didn't do anything at all. Holding down to decrease your launch speed can be combined with horizontal vectoring if you fear that an attack with kill you off the top sooner than it would to the sides.
Thanks! I was unaware that holding up increased knockback. I always tried to DI away to get out of combos.

Noob question: How do you play someone online (With Friends)
First, you have to go online. Then, you have to create a game in the "With Friends" section. One of your friends has to join before you can play. Conversely, you could join one of your friend's matches in the same section. People generally message each other when they're ready to play together. That way, it will be simple and quick.

TheGreatMetagod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatMetagod
how do you add friends?
If you push the home button, you should see an orange thumbnail that says "Friends List" or "Friends". From there, just push "Register Friend" and enter their Nintendo ID. If they accept your friend request, you'll be friends.

If you're just trying to add people on Super Smash Bros., you can just add them at the victory screen. At the victory screen(After online matches) , you should see an option that says "View Profile". Select a player, and you can send them a friend request.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
I don't know what to tell you. I'd like to tell you to go on, but I'm in the same boat. In fact, as I type this post, I am trying to keep myself from crying because I feel like I can't play right, and I will never be able to learn anything in Smash, so I can get to the competitive level I want to be in. It's all up to you at this point. Keep going, let the game ruin you until somehow, you manage to get better, or quit, and end the nightmare.

I don't know anymore.
The best Advice I can give for any game is to look up high level players of your character and try to emulate them, and when you do dont just copy there comboes ask your self why they chose to do that move,why did they make the movement they did. there are some really good videos of link/megaman players if thats your choice, and those characters are some of the more technical/thoughtful character.

I'm telling you because thats how I learned but watching good players and trying to understand why they do what they do is the best way to improve. Fow is also an amazing streamer if you go to twitch you can watch him and he will take character requests too

J_the_Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J_the_Man24
Is there general advice I could have regarding doubles? The last tournament I was in, I felt like my partner was carrying me the whole time while I was constantly hitting him and was out of synch.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
I'm having a major issue.

I get salty way too easily if I lose too much, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I want to become better, but I keep making mistakes and I KNOW what I'm doing wrong, but I can't fix them. I try to punish things I know I can punish, but all I'm doing is getting worse. The more I play I get worse, all the practice I make into becoming a great player is all for nothing if I just lose on FG to someone I know I can beat, and I just make the same mistakes over and over. I watch my replays, I talk to those over smashladder, I even research my characters on a daily basis, but I always lose. What should I do to improve? What should I do?

I love the game, but I'm just getting worse the more I play. I also hate giving up. What should I do?

Last edited:

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Hello, i was hoping some one could give me some advice on how to reduce how much i roll. From watching my replays and just watching how i play in general i have noticed roll ks always my first defensive option next to shield.
I feel like i need to use short hops and other options for spacing but mid match i always come back to roll spam.

If it helps at all i main Duck Hunt and Shulk. Thanks in advance =D

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Try not rolling. See if that helps.

In all seriousness though, just play a few games against level 9s where you force yourself to never roll. If you ever do it accidentally, you forfeit your current stock. This is to reduce your muscle memory. We're using coms so that you don't need to worry about mindgames or any of the other things that might make you shift back into your comfort zone. After you've broken your habit, go onto FG with the intention of rolling as rarely as possible. This is to get you to reduce your rolling without giving it up entirely as before.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Level 7 might be more fair. Level 9 CPU's have stupidly high levels of performing frame-perfect dodges and shields.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Spam what works until it doesn't.

Learn the game situation by situation and stop thinking in terms of what people think is scrubby.

Start going to locals, play on smashladder, and play FG when you can't or don't want to do either. Record matches and watch them. That way, if you actually have a rolling problem and don't know how to fix it (and you might know without any help), people can tell you what you should have done.

Last edited:

K4I

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kai9000
I would say just play a ton and try to keep "not rolling" in the back of your mind. Just remember, sometimes rolling isn't a bad option in this game.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I know what some people suggest for this is to change whatever buttons you use to shield to something else, like attack. This is basically supposed to force you to pick different options instead of just rolling. After you play some matches with it when you think you're ready, you switch your buttons back to shield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom