• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Best/Worst Match Ups?

Packherd

Smash Rookie
I haven't used G&W much yet in Brawl, but in Melee, I found he did best against Pikachu and Bowser. G&W was a tricky hand--a floaty-brawler. He was easy to throw around, but fought best when he controlled the center of the stage.

In Brawl, his physics feel essentially the same (his Melee physics were the most "Brawl-like" of the characters to begin with). Therefore, I suspect his style will be similar. The only changes were minor (parachute became fishbowl, but parachute was a pain to time anyway; he floats erratically on the way down from his up B, which will take some getting used to). The bigger change will be his opponents. I'll bet Bowser's not such a pushover anymore!

My prediction: he'll do best against R.O.B. and Dedede; worst against the usual quick fighters like Fox and Sheik.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W doesn't exactly have any bad matchups. He's too good to have "bad" matchups.

However I speculate he has more trouble against Link and particularly Toon Link, as he cannot get around their spam with the Bucket, and they too have disjointed hitboxes to counter his.

Olimar seems to **** in general though, so if G&W has a hard time there...*shrug* IMO G&W needs to just space aerial attacks well since his disjointed range >>> Olimar's in terms of aerial attacks.

He'd have more trouble against Snake, except Snake's aerial game is garbage due to lag and openings. However Snake can kill G&W at pretty low %s if G&W is not careful.

G&W ***** projectile spammers otherwise (especially Zelda). His Bucket is way too strong, and it's collecting range is huge. Even with like Fox lasers, he'll kill at like ~100%. With others he kills at below 60% and OFTEN AT 0%.

As for like Zelda, Din's fire guarantees a 0% Bucket kill. This is bad news, as she really wants to spam Dins Fire this time around, and she has trouble dealing with people at point blank range.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can pretty much say that Mr. G&W has problems against Peach. Try to recover and she'll just knock you back silly.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Peach will be G+W biggest problem tbh. How does she knock you back? Just throw out an aerial/go low etc.

alphameric

Smash Ace
gaw has some trouble with link and olimar, but thats all i can think of.
i was going to say lucas, but he can get a full bucket from the pk thunder, and then proceed to dump the hot death on him

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Ike is the worst match up I've ever seen for GAW. He has range that GAW doesn't, and the power that can kill at REALLY low %'s.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
he is great against pika because his bucket neutralizes thunderbolt spam and bacon stops side b before pika can get near him

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I can pretty much say that Mr. G&W has problems against Peach. Try to recover and she'll just knock you back silly.
Are you talking about SSBM? =P

G&W does NOT have that problem in SSBB. At least, he can deal with it better than most other characters. Due to his unique Up-B properties, he can punish Peach for trying to do that, or he can just come up from ridiculously low and autosweetspot the ledge.

And btw, I'm pretty sure he ***** her. G&W's B-air >>> Peach. It outranges everything she has, and if anyone shields his B-air, their shield will take a lot of damage. He can apparently avoid getting shieldgrabbed by Peach by using his D-air against her, as the ending lag animation keeps him very low to the ground. Don't believe me that G&W ***** her this time around? I think Hylian has a video of him using G&W against Peach.

alphameric

Smash Ace
Ike is the worst match up I've ever seen for GAW. He has range that GAW doesn't, and the power that can kill at REALLY low %'s.
If you have trouble with Ike, then you are possibly the slowest GAW in existence.

Seriously, GAW totally destroys Ike.
Just don't spam key, and watch out for his side-b then you wont have any trouble.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you have trouble with Ike, then you are possibly the slowest GAW in existence.

Just don't spam key, and watch out for his side-b then you wont have any trouble.
Huh, most video's I've seen of G&W vs Ike, Ike wins. Indeed from what I've seen, Ike after all does have a little bit of range over G&W, and he does kill G&W at lower percentages than G&W kills him due to a glaring weight difference.

I guess that just means we need better G&W vs Ike vids. =P

Aero

Smash Journeyman
Ike is probably the only character that reliably outranges G@W's turtle/block/key/other ridiculous disjointed hitbox stuff. I wouldn't call Ike one of his hardest matchups though, but you definitely have to stay on your toes.

TKD

Smash Lord
G&W vs Ike

Game & Watch does has trouble against a good Ike player. The key with Ike is good spacing, and if the G&W player approaches without being careful, Ike can shorthop backwards + fair a lot. Ike's dair has excellent range and Game doesn't counter it easy. Also when Game approaches, the Ike player may already have input a smash command. Ike's attacks are also disjointed and Game does not have his ridiculous disjointed attack range advantage against Ike so much. If you get spaced out, he'll kill you. Also at close range, Ike can jab thrice, jab>smash or grab very well (although that's good against every character). By the way, Ike doesn't spam over-b, so I don't think you can predict it so easily, and I don't see how avoiding it gives you a big advantage. Good Ike players seem to try to "see the future" (funny but true) and predict because of his speed. I don't think Ike players who play otherwise are very good.

I don't mean that Ike destroys G&W, but he's definitely not weak against him.

PS: I don't think there are any slow players in Brawl.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah you def need to watch out for his spacing, but unlike marth it would be quite a bit easier to fake him out into doing an attack, and then moving in for a grab or hit. Just bait him into doing a forward air, move just out of range and then run in for a grab. Against marth this doesn't work so well because they can jab much quicker out of aerials, but i don't see why this wouldn't work against ike.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
imo ike, olimar, the links = hardest matchups in no order but thats just how I feel which im sure will change eventually

i think g&w is one of the best against pikachu

mdom88

Smash Rookie
i'd say toon link is the hardest matchup. olimar is also very tough as is big link.
i think GW is probably best against captain falcon, cuz the turtle is just too good against him imo. i think he can also be v good against sonic

Roman.

Smash Champion
I think g&w does do really well against sonic too. He really shouldn't have problems against Ike at all. If anything, Ike should have problems against a good g&w. The best matchup against g&w is def the links. I've never played a good olimar so i couldn't comment on that but links > g&w.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
How does G&W do vs Ice Climbers?
Being a GaW/IC main from Melee AND Brawl, I can say that GaW gives IC even MORE trouble now. Seeing as IC lost virtually ALL approach, we have to play more defensively now and stick to pressuring with Blocks until we get that grab, throw alot of blizzards if we feel threatened and sheildgrab alot more. Bucketing negates the block spam and the bucket can also catch blizzards if I'm not mistaken so that's one option gone. Clarence(my name for the turtle) ***** our sheild. So, we're forced to play an offensive game where Game and watch destroys us because he out-ranges us with all of his moves. Yeah, we deal more damage but the tough part is getting in there to deal it.

Going against an IC player as GaW is gonna break my heart... :urg:

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
Personally I find that because of the extreme weight differences any of the heavy characters can be a real threat if they just try to trade hits with you =(
Also, there will be yoshi players eventually (maybe, lol)! And I'm saying now that yoshi can **** G&W because approaches are nasty hard when they spam eggs. And yoshi is very good at retreating which makes hitting him with bair quite difficult.

B-Down

Smash Apprentice
Good Robs are very difficult. After playing a friend of mine's spammy rob, i gotta say, he can Fair combo you, Outprioritize you with Nair, and Just recover from about anything that isn't Fsmash or Downsmash.

Top Bottom