• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fun Tier Thread

otg

Smash Master
Recently I would say my list is something like this (characters not ordered in tier):

Most fun:
DK
Luigi
Mario
Link
Fox

Eh:
Ness
Pika
Yoshi
Kirby

**** these guys:
jiggs
samus
falcon

i know im gonna get heat for falcon, but hes boring. Editing cause Fox is hella fun to play, dont konw what i was thinkin

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
****, not only is there a Smash 64 forum, but it's active. wtf?

I'm not gonna post a tier list, since I have little competitive experience in this game (UNFORTUNATELY, since it's like, the best Smash of the three) but I want to ask: why is Kirby so unfun? He's been my main in all three Smash games, and I think he's too much fun in this game. I understand his Uptilt is broken, but besides that...?

And this is slightly off topic, but why is Pikachu the god of Smash 64? I was looking at the tier list (and I had always thought Kirby was 2nd best, I was surprised to see him at 3) and I saw people saying Pikachu should be in a tier of his own. As someone with no tourney experience in this game, I must ask: why?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Kirby is boring because people play noobs who just spam and think that's the pinnacle of Kirby's game. I like beating him up more than I like playing him myself, really, but that's just me. In addition, he can't taunt cancel with sound, with takes away major marks.

Pika = ridiculously good matchups, excellent edgeguarding, best recovery, can combo across the screen, lots more stuff. Play a good Pika and you'll see.

I also like your sig. More people should read that manga.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Is this not a perfect example of why we should have our own section? People who love this game and even think it's the best of the three don't even know it exists.

Edit:

Don't know if I posted mine, but here it revised if I have (controller on console):

Top (no particular order)

Falcon
Fox
DK

Middle (no particular order)

Luigi
Ness
Pikachu

Low (no particular order)

Mario
Yoshi
Samus

Bottom (no particular order)

Link
Kirby
Jigglypuff

This isn't a joke. I find puff soo boring to play. The only thing that is fun to do is shorthop dair chains at high percents when trying to bring a noob's percent up to 999. I play completely different on controller than on keyboard.

DMoogle

A$
This is tilting me too much. Please, please buy a controller Blue Yoshi.

Kirby is awesome. It seems like everyone who doesn't like him doesn't because they think he's "cheap". A well-known player on here told me in a match once after I chose kirby I did it because I had to get a "desperate win".

Peek~

Smash Lord
Fun

Ness
Yoshi
Link
Kirby with power

Meh

Everyone else
Pikachu

zzzzz

Falcon
Kirby without power

TANK64

Smash Lord
Kirby is awesome. It seems like everyone who doesn't like him doesn't because they think he's "cheap". A well-known player on here told me in a match once after I chose kirby I did it because I had to get a "desperate win".
I don't understand your point?
You're saying he isn't cheap?
or he's cheap, but he's also fun?
I'm not sure what you mean.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
kirby is an easy win when your playing certain characters at medum level skill, i mean what skill/tactics is required to win with kirby?
just using dair utilt and bair = win

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Every character can be fun. Kirby is just least fun, too easy to play; All his attacks and play-style are so easily pulled off.

Also, anyone notice that most players grab-spam Link?

DMoogle

A$
So he can get his opponent up to 35%-65% without effort (less if his opponent can DI well), that's not that big of a deal;

The Learning Curve Thread said:
Level 5B [Fluency Level]:
This is the next level a ssb player can reach. They now can combo fluently and connect their attacks. Every technique is used and once a player of this level touches the opponent he could deal 40 to 50% damage and normally finish them off.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
He's not cheap against Isai. XD

I thought emo kids usually didn't have facial hair?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
So he can get his opponent up to 35%-65% without effort (less if his opponent can DI well), that's not that big of a deal;

Level 5B [Fluency Level]:
This is the next level a ssb player can reach. They now can combo fluently and connect their attacks. Every technique is used and once a player of this level touches the opponent he could deal 40 to 50% damage and normally finish them off.
as you said, the utilts require no effort, and dealing 40-50% or more damage may require effort in other situations. Kirby's utilt is by far the easiest/cheapest way in the game to increase damage that much

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
"Cheap" doesn't exist :p

Either way, this game is far more balanced than Melee or Brawl.

DMoogle

A$
as you said, the utilts require no effort, and dealing 40-50% or more damage may require effort in other situations. Kirby's utilt is by far the easiest/cheapest way in the game to increase damage that much
You still have to decide when to stop utilting and how to follow up.
"Cheap" doesn't exist :p

Either way, this game is far more balanced than Melee or Brawl.
This.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is just so shallow. Once you learn how much range utilt has and learn to never use uair, you are pretty much set. There's nowhere else to go. Pretty much all there is is mind-gaming and spacing into utilt > dair / bair. Then get them off the stage and edgeguard with dair. Matches against Kirby are usually really boring (unless maybe you play Pika).

I'm not saying he's cheap at all. Pika is way better, but he has cool combos and can do some awesome edgeguarding. Even Fox has way more variety in his game and can be much flashier, and he even has his own somewhat-technically-demanding ATs; Kirby doesn't even need to z-cancel his dair all the time. Obviously any character can be played in a boring and repetitive way, but it just seems to me like Kirby can't really do much else.

D

Deleted member

Not really

Kirby is far beyond just up-tilts and 1 aerial

you just don't know how to play him

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I thought emo kids usually didn't have facial hair?
lol no, its not hair on their face, its hair across their face =P

kirby is only shallow in lower levels of play. s2j has it right. I got past the "dair utiltx10 bair" stage a loooong time ago lol

D

Deleted member

Kirby takes a lot more skill to use than Falcon

especially if you want to WIN at higher levels

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
no, its more like, kirby can do amazing things but everyone is too lazy to explore them and they just stick to what works

edit:ninja'd by s2j

MattNF

Smash Lord
no, its more like, kirby can do amazing things but everyone is too lazy to explore them and they just stick to what works

edit:ninja'd by s2j
why do amazing things if you dont have to? (I mean, for serious matches)

even in malva's new online videos his kirby plays pretty similar to other generic boring kirbies like MATTS or gbagcn

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Falcon's f-throw to up smash into 10 billion up airs says hi.

DMoogle

A$

even in malva's new online videos his kirby plays pretty similar to other generic boring kirbies like MATTS or gbagcn
Amazing things and variety make the game more interesting. That's why I always encourage everybody who only plays one character to expand their horizons. What the hell's a "serious match", anyway? Aren't all matches serious? Can't we have fun in serious matches too?

I played him the other day, he chose Kirby every match, and he definitely played a lot different than any Kirby I've ever faced. FWIW I think I have a less "generic" Kirby than most. Brag: I got him down to one stock once, with Luigi. :psycho:

Other than that session, I haven't faced a really challenging kirby in a while.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord

I rather not do something so simple and boring looking if I don't have to. I don't main the character, maybe thats why I like doing unorthodox things. don't get me wrong though, if it came down to a win or a loss I would stick to the basics, but I'm just saying there is more to kirby than that one staple combo.

Falcon's f-throw to up smash into 10 billion up airs says hi.
lol, my thoughts exactly

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Do you guys play 64 on the computer?

My computer no longer works properly, but when I get a new one I might play it.
Then again I don't want to play Smash 64 on a keyboard. x_x

I know this is off-topic, sorry.
....unless we say that playing on the computer is higher on the fun tier list than playing on an N64 with an old crappy N64 controller.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
....unless we say that playing on the computer is higher on the fun tier list than playing on an N64 with an old crappy N64 controller.
Worse than playing on console because of the delay and lag.
Better than playing on console because you can play with a lot of different players easily.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You obviously don't know about adapters, huh?

You can use controllers to play on a computer as well (though I don't myself).
I know about them, I just figured they cost money, which I don't have right now :3

What kinda controllers do they work for?
Worse than playing on console because of the delay and lag.
Better than playing on console because you can play with a lot of different players easily.
I heard that Smash 64 has very little lag. Like, compared with BRAWL, it's amazing. lol.

And most N64 controllers by now are totally crappy, unless I'm mistaken. Then again, you can play it on the Wii, with either hax or VC.

Even though Smash 64 isn't on VC in America, but it is in other places..?

-.-

MattNF

Smash Lord
Amazing things and variety make the game more interesting. That's why I always encourage everybody who only plays one character to expand their horizons. What the hell's a "serious match", anyway? Aren't all matches serious? Can't we have fun in serious matches too?

I played him the other day, he chose Kirby every match, and he definitely played a lot different than any Kirby I've ever faced. FWIW I think I have a less "generic" Kirby than most. Brag: I got him down to one stock once, with Luigi. :psycho:

Other than that session, I haven't faced a really challenging kirby in a while.
I'm talking about for tournament matches. Those kind of "serious".

For example, you could do a combo like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmw7FOf-n8

Or, assuming it would hit, you could just do a simple uair usmash combo. Sure, you could try to be "fancy" but it's not safe or reliable. Why try to do an insane kirby uair combo when a utilt-bair or something else would work just as fine, if not better?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I'm talking about for tournament matches. Those kind of "serious".

For example, you could do a combo like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmw7FOf-n8

Or, assuming it would hit, you could just do a simple uair usmash combo. Sure, you could try to be "fancy" but it's not safe or reliable. Why try to do an insane kirby uair combo when a utilt-bair or something else would work just as fine, if not better?
precisely why i do the same djc combo over and over again as Yoshi :p
It works

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Kirby is just so shallow. Once you learn how much range utilt has and learn to never use uair, you are pretty much set. There's nowhere else to go. Pretty much all there is is mind-gaming and spacing into utilt > dair / bair. Then get them off the stage and edgeguard with dair. Matches against Kirby are usually really boring (unless maybe you play Pika).

I'm not saying he's cheap at all. Pika is way better, but he has cool combos and can do some awesome edgeguarding. Even Fox has way more variety in his game and can be much flashier, and he even has his own somewhat-technically-demanding ATs; Kirby doesn't even need to z-cancel his dair all the time. Obviously any character can be played in a boring and repetitive way, but it just seems to me like Kirby can't really do much else.
WTF at "even fox has more variety" are you saying fox doesn't have much variety? Disagree if so. Also technically demanding ATs don't make a character fun, it's mostly just annoying when you mess one up.

And I think kirby can do a lot of stuff that most people don't take into account, especially with fair and weak bair for example. But I do agree that the benefit to all that is small when you can just do utiltx10 to bair (same as falcon, falcon has a ton of fun combos but in so many cases uairx10 upb works just as well).

Frogles

Smash Ace
doesnt matter if match is serious or for fun. kirby is still shallow and doesn't have much flash. he doesn't have a lot of variety in his game and he doesn't need it because the options he does have are TOO GOOD.

Top Bottom