• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Sakurai - There will be NO Downloadable Content!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I'm at the GDC today and I went to his session (I'll post about it later but nothing really that interesting was talked about). However, after the tournament I went up to him before he left and asked in Japanese if there'd be future downloadable content. He said that since the Wii doesn't have a harddrive, there will be no downloadable content. Even if people think you can do it with SD cards or whatever, that doesn't seem to be the case - he was very certain in his answer.

That is all.

Hear that sound? That distant crushing noise?

That's the noise of a thousand overexpectant hearts breaking simultaneously.

The moral of the story is don't set your expectations too high.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai's explanation is bunk. It was announced today by the director of Wii Ware that future Wii games will get DLC. You should have asked him why Mewtwo & Roy were cut.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord

There were hearts left to break?

Sakurai's explanation is bunk. It was announced today by the director of Wii Ware that future Wii games will get DLC. You should have asked him why Mewtwo & Roy were cut.
Mewtwo at least. I figure it's fairly safe to say that Roy was removed because he was created as a clone character in the first place and used to promote his game. Roy didn't really have much place in Brawl compared to Ike, who is more popular and from a more recent game.

That's just my take on it though, I didn't really see a reason to keep Roy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
sakurai must feel like an idiot now :p
No, if anything he is feeling that he should have put more Landmasters in the game. :chuckle:

Seriously, I think the reason Mewtwo & Roy were cut was due to the way he had the character selection screen set up.

Rash

Smash Ace
Yeah, DLC is confirmed for Wii. So they can technically put stuff on Wii without it needing a harddrive.

I still don't know if there would be enough space for extra Brawl characters, however. And even if DLC is confirmed, Brawl in its current form can't use it. The game would need to be patched heavily, and I don't think Nintendo's willing to put forth that kind of effort.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well good to here it is all over... But just to keep peoples false (and ignorant) hope alive.

Nintendo could always add a Smash Bros DLC patch later on down the road... >_> *runs*

Kittah4

Smash Ace
There were hearts left to break?

Mewtwo at least. I figure it's fairly safe to say that Roy was removed because he was created as a clone character in the first place and used to promote his game. Roy didn't really have much place in Brawl compared to Ike, who is more popular and from a more recent game.

That's just my take on it though, I didn't really see a reason to keep Roy.
There wasn't much reason to keep Falco in, either. He still reeks of clonishness. And Ganondorf? You're telling me after seven years and at least three games to draw moves from (WW, TP, OOT), he's still almost more similar to Falcon than Falco is to Fox?

Yeah if I knew Japanese I'd have some things to ask him, alright.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Seriously, I think the reason Mewtwo & Roy were cut was due to the way he had the character selection screen set up.
What? You can't be serious... You are saying they were cut because of the character selection screen? Surely you would realize that they would take into account the characters in the game first THEN make a desirable character selection screen. It's just not logical to think that the character select screen had any influence over what characters were in and out...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
No, if anything he is feeling that he should have put more Landmasters in the game. :chuckle:

nah. The char selection screen setup is way too minor of an issue to warrant removal of characters.

Well, hopefully brawl could pull a GHIII, and get up some DLC late since we know that DLC is indeed possible with the wii.....but if DLC support works how I think it works, then that will most likely just be a pipe dream :(

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
Seems that rumor about NA Brawl having Roy and Mewtwo may be slightly false as a result. Previous poster said NA Brawl will have Roy + Mewtwo, while Japanese Brawl would have them for download. Most people shot down that idea anyways, I know I did.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seems that rumor about NA Brawl having Roy and Mewtwo may be slightly false as a result. Previous poster said NA Brawl will have Roy + Mewtwo, while Japanese Brawl would have them for download. Most people shot down that idea anyways, I know I did.
Yes, what will come of that now, well I wonder how he will explain this?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
What? You can't be serious... You are saying they were cut because of the character selection screen? Surely you would realize that they would take into account the characters in the game first THEN make a desirable character selection screen. It's just not logical to think that the character select screen had any influence over what characters were in and out...
Especially since Sakurai said today that the characters were decided upon in the planning stages, and some of the planned characters didn't make it (seemingly Geno, but we don't know for sure).

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Nah dude. 'skrai loves perfect rectangles and wouldn't want to butcher it.

I'm kidding.

Off to play Metroid Prime 3.

Sin14

Smash Cadet
nah. The char selection screen setup is way too minor of an issue to warrant removal of characters.

Well, hopefully brawl could pull a GHIII, and get up some DLC late since we know that DLC is indeed possible with the wii.....but if DLC support works how I think it works, then that will most likely just be a pipe dream :(
i hope so too.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
WOW.... now all thats left is for us to enjoy the game

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Cool, you got to speak to Sakurai.

Game almost out soon? What else could be going good :3

-Onyx

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
His excuse of no HDD is the lamest thing ever, how would other games be getting DLC if they needed HDDs? So either Nintendo's lying or Sakurai is, I'm going with Sakurai. You should have asked him that.

Plus space can't really be an issue, heck if Square was able to fit a good looking Final Fantasy game with character, sounds, environments, animations, etc into 40MB, he could defiantly find a way to pack a few characters and stages into packs that could easily fit on the Wii's small flash memory...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
With all due respects, does Sakurai NOT know that DLC was JUST announced at the same event or something?

He makes it seem like its impossible, even though it's clearly not even before the announcement.

This is one thing that bothers me about this whole thing with Sakurai saying there's no DLC for Brawl. Why would an experienced developer not know something as simple as the Wii's capabilities of DLC? Or, hell, he should've known the plans for it in the first place, so what's the deal?

With all due respects, does Sakurai NOT know that DLC was JUST announced at the same event or something?

He makes it seem like its impossible, even though it's clearly not even before the announcement.

This is one thing that bothers me about this whole thing with Sakurai saying there's no DLC for Brawl. Why would an experienced developer not know something as simple as the Wii's capabilities of DLC? Or, hell, he should've known the plans for it in the first place, so what's the deal?
Something has to have been lost in translation. He obviously knows that Nintendo is incorporating DLC. Are you completely sure you know fluent Japanese, OP?

D

Deleted member

T'was louder when the final roster was revealed.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Something has to have been lost in translation. He obviously knows that Nintendo is incorporating DLC. Are you completely sure you know fluent Japanese, OP?
Maybe, while another possibility is that he might not know at all.

Remember the Sega Saturn's release? MOST developers and companies did not know about the surprise release and was kept secret from them.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
His excuse of no HDD is the lamest thing ever, how would other games be getting DLC if they needed HDDs? So either Nintendo's lying or Sakurai is, I'm going with Sakurai. You should have asked him that.

Plus space can't really be an issue, heck if Square was able to fit a good looking Final Fantasy game with character, sounds, environments, animations, etc into 40MB, he could defiantly find a way to pack a few characters and stages into packs that could easily fit on the Wii's small flash memory...

Top Bottom