• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I'd replace someone like Cloud (the most loved character in the game) with Zero (Megaman). Blade beam is basically Hadengeki anyways.
I wanted zero since right after megaman got confirmed. I would prefer that as well. Megaman Zero is one of my all time faves, plus his design is swanky af.

Arrei

Smash Lord
RD took out Supports.
And made Ilyana look weird as heck in her portrait.
Wurst gaem evr

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
But RD is better than PoR.
RD was great, but PoR didn't have the problem of uneven difficulty curves. Also, some would argue the save-anywhere mechanic made the game too easy. While it didn't really impact me, I still think PoR was the more complete and better polished core game. Also, as Arrei mentioned, Support convos.

RD's main appeals were the splitting scenarios, third tier classes, and Ike being a complete OP badass once he promoted to Vanguard.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
RD master race! In all honesty, I love RD because it's a game that at first looks incredibly difficult and is not beginner friendly at all. They don't tell you how important Micaiah, Sothe and Sanaki are. They don't tell you that Ilyana gets the most chapters and can be an inventory swap or that Tormod and is group are gone for most of the game or that Zihark and Jill can get more chapters with higher leveled, more rewarding enemies or ANY of the hidden treasure locations.

The game just drops you off and lets you fend for yourself. It at least has the courtesy to give any beginner who makes it to the tower the over powered laguz kings to breeze through the end if you lost any units. After numerous playthroughs, the game becomes far easier with knowledge of each chapter and knowing how the characters and parts and teams work. Battle Save helps too.

Hard mode isn't really that much harder. The lack of a weapon triangle actually makes the game easier imo, namely the interactions between sword and axe users becoming more in the favor of the axe user. Lack of battle save just means don't mess up and the more powerful enemies just limits what units you can use. Bosses stay the same.

What I love about RD though is all the little details to learn and the replayability. Each playthrough is different since certain units are stuck with certain teams. Using Nolan? Parts 1 and 3 are easy. Not using anyone from Micaiah's team? You're stuck relying on decently leveled Micaiah and Sothe. There's the aforementioned Ilyana inventory swap where anything from part 1 can go to Ike's team, namely the Brave Sword. There's Endgame part 3 which is full of optional challenges like killing Kurthnaga or Nailah. Heck, I did the math and it's difficult but possible to kill the Black Knight in Rivals Collide. Much easier to do with Boyd rather than Haar but with a high enough level getting speed and strength and using a Hammer, you can kill him! It doesn't prove anything and it actually screws you out of getting the last dark mage, possibly even both of them but it's a neat thing to know that can be done. Also, there's the infinite exp grind with Heather in part 2 and the near infinite exp grind for any staff user in Incandescent Glow.

PoR was a decent game as were Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragon and Awakening. But I've spent far too much time with RD and it's larger and heavier plot along with replayability and neat little things here and there, easily my favourite game of the entire series and my favourite game of all time.

Currently playing Awakening on Lunatic and it's making me appreciate the game more. Story is bland imo though.

TL;DR RD is the best game ever made.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Fates Conquest is actually my favorite game gameplay-wise.

But Radiant Dawn still da best

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Greetings Ike boards. I am a Bowser main who got extremely confident into my Ike and I think he has taken the spot as my secondary, if not become my main one day.

I have a question about one of my favorite move in Ike's moveset: Up air. The move comes quick, lasts for weeks and is so powerful, that I have started to use it as a move for edgeguarding or even, sometimes, I fall onto my opponents with it and if theyre tall enough like ZSS, Ganondorf etc, it hits them. Not to mention how full hops fast fall up airs look super cool, like a sword helicopter. I also use the move a lot as I get out of combos, the hitbox is so big the usually fall in it. So my question is: do you guys tend to use the move like I do? What do you think of it in general?

Troykv

Smash Master
RD master race! In all honesty, I love RD because it's a game that at first looks incredibly difficult and is not beginner friendly at all. They don't tell you how important Micaiah, Sothe and Sanaki are. They don't tell you that Ilyana gets the most chapters and can be an inventory swap or that Tormod and is group are gone for most of the game or that Zihark and Jill can get more chapters with higher leveled, more rewarding enemies or ANY of the hidden treasure locations.

The game just drops you off and lets you fend for yourself. It at least has the courtesy to give any beginner who makes it to the tower the over powered laguz kings to breeze through the end if you lost any units. After numerous playthroughs, the game becomes far easier with knowledge of each chapter and knowing how the characters and parts and teams work. Battle Save helps too.

Hard mode isn't really that much harder. The lack of a weapon triangle actually makes the game easier imo, namely the interactions between sword and axe users becoming more in the favor of the axe user. Lack of battle save just means don't mess up and the more powerful enemies just limits what units you can use. Bosses stay the same.

What I love about RD though is all the little details to learn and the replayability. Each playthrough is different since certain units are stuck with certain teams. Using Nolan? Parts 1 and 3 are easy. Not using anyone from Micaiah's team? You're stuck relying on decently leveled Micaiah and Sothe. There's the aforementioned Ilyana inventory swap where anything from part 1 can go to Ike's team, namely the Brave Sword. There's Endgame part 3 which is full of optional challenges like killing Kurthnaga or Nailah. Heck, I did the math and it's difficult but possible to kill the Black Knight in Rivals Collide. Much easier to do with Boyd rather than Haar but with a high enough level getting speed and strength and using a Hammer, you can kill him! It doesn't prove anything and it actually screws you out of getting the last dark mage, possibly even both of them but it's a neat thing to know that can be done. Also, there's the infinite exp grind with Heather in part 2 and the near infinite exp grind for any staff user in Incandescent Glow.

PoR was a decent game as were Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragon and Awakening. But I've spent far too much time with RD and it's larger and heavier plot along with replayability and neat little things here and there, easily my favourite game of the entire series and my favourite game of all time.

Currently playing Awakening on Lunatic and it's making me appreciate the game more. Story is bland imo though.

TL;DR RD is the best game ever made.
I love Radiant Dawn... I would like that the game has actual support (like originally was suppose to be), but other-wise, I love it.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Greetings Ike boards. I am a Bowser main who got extremely confident into my Ike and I think he has taken the spot as my secondary, if not become my main one day.

I have a question about one of my favorite move in Ike's moveset: Up air. The move comes quick, lasts for weeks and is so powerful, that I have started to use it as a move for edgeguarding or even, sometimes, I fall onto my opponents with it and if theyre tall enough like ZSS, Ganondorf etc, it hits them. Not to mention how full hops fast fall up airs look super cool, like a sword helicopter. I also use the move a lot as I get out of combos, the hitbox is so big the usually fall in it. So my question is: do you guys tend to use the move like I do? What do you think of it in general?
It's a solid move, not so good for attacking directly above you due to its small vertical hitbox, but it's excellent at catching airdodges, it's got low landing lag like Nair and Bair, and it's an excellent finisher. What I tend to do when I'm anticipating an airdodge is to jump past them as they airdodge, then fastfall to end them as I go past them blade whirling. However, going on the offensive with it in other situations rarely seems to work out well for me - it's not as fast as you think, with frame 13? startup and starting behind Ike, making it unwieldy for that purpose. I wish Ike could move a little faster in the air, because Uair is a big commitment. There are a few setups you can go for that start with Uair, but it's generally much safer to go with Nair for that.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I love Radiant Dawn... I would like that the game has actual support (like originally was suppose to be), but other-wise, I love it.
I don't mind the lack of 'real' supports. It allows you to put any character with any other character and being able to put an Earth affinity character with anyone is extremely powerful up until late game.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
And then there's little ol' me, who cries at how expensive PoR and RD are (Especially PoR).

In other news, I have enormous trouble fighting Cloud with Ike, as I keep getting spiked and just generally have trouble dealing damage to him. Any advice in that regard? (My bad if I'm not supposed to ask this here, I still barely have any idea where to ask for matchup advice)

Arrei

Smash Lord
Matchup advice typically goes into the, well, matchup thread.

If you want to avoid Cloud's spikes, your options are trying to recover higher, which tends to be a bad idea against Cloud's juggles, or to simply recover from lower down, properly spacing Aether low enough so that you're not spinning in range for a Fsmash punish. Cloud can't chase his targets very low if he intends to use his spikes as they'll render him unable to recover. In addition, if he's waiting on the stage trying to catch you with Fsmash, using Aether while very close to the stage will let you either nick him with the sword toss or move forward enough to land on his head when he's trying to smash you. Be wary of pivot Fsmash fakeouts, though.

D

Deleted member

Hey, guys. I thought I'd introduce myself in here. :4myfriends:

I'm Feelicks, Dedede main from Orlando who's had Ike as his tried and true secondary for quite a few months now. I don't peek around these boards much, and I'm here to fix that. Hey there!

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Hey, guys. I thought I'd introduce myself in here. :4myfriends:

I'm Feelicks, Dedede main from Orlando who's had Ike as his tried and true secondary for quite a few months now. I don't peek around these boards much, and I'm here to fix that. Hey there!
Hey, welcome to the Ike boards.
The social here isn't too active since most of us are on discord, but it picks up when there's a discussion topic.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hey, just wanted to say that I'm originally a mega man main but have been playing some Ike lately. Ike is the best. The end.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Hey, just wanted to say that I'm originally a mega man main but have been playing some Ike lately. Ike is the best. The end.
I love both, but I relate more to Ike in fighting style and personality. Mega Man is my #4 behind Mario and Cloud, though. He's fun to learn as well as play against.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Hey Ike Boards :)
Some weeks ago I started playing around as Ike on FG Smash and a bit on 1v1.
After that I decided that I will add him to my group of secondaires.
I really love the low landing lag on his aerials, the really good range, his combo potential and good amount of kill power at his disposal.
I do miss his Sword Hit SFX from Brawl. They sound so much more fierce

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
Man... Just met Nairo on FG
I'm probably not ready to attend tournaments yet XD
I got my a** handed to like..nsfw

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
To be fair, Nairo is one of the top 3 players in the world. The scrubs at your local weekly aren't going to be anywhere near his level.

AbelCor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-1826-6256
Have any of you guys actually gotten an eruption spike in an actual game? It's existence is pretty ridiculous, I wouldn't have known it existed at all without online resources.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I once got an Eruption spike edgeguard, might have been against Wario when he had that grounded state bug. But outside of shenanigans, I never try random Eruptions onstage so it's never happened against a properly grounded opponent.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Not a spike, but I've gotten plenty of charged Eruption edge guards. Landing the spike has been a real challenge, and 90% of the charged version results in a KO anyway, so I've never bothered to learn the proper timing.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
let's all switch to the pro controller, guys
...but I only have a 3DS ;_;

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Seems way too complicated but hey, maybe top players will use it in the long term

Top Bottom