• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

andyjew

Smash Rookie
Hi im new to smashboards but not new to smash! ike was my guy in brawl so how does he stack up in smash 4?
P.S. ill be playing smash 4 in 3 days super pumped!

Arrei

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Ike boards, Andy! Generally speaking, Ike's weaker in single-move damage but his moves still pack a lot of knockback, so he still boasts a wide bevy of kill options and has massively increased combo potential and mobility to make up for it. He can easily start short but damaging combos off of Nair, Uthrow, and Dtilt then chase the opponent with his huge sword to try for a string, and his Bair, Utilt, and Ftilt still pack as much knockback as smash attacks in their own right, though the latter has been nerfed in power to compensate for a speed buff and that does mean it's still as bad an idea as ever to pull out his actual smashes without a good read or bait. Uair's been buffed to be amazingly powerful as a kill option despite still only dealing 11% damage, too.

However, he doesn't stack up so well to high tiers like Sheik and Meta Knight, so be prepared for a battle against them.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Much better in 4. Many seem to think he's somewhere in the top 15 of the roster, somewhere on the low end of high tier or the high end of mid tier.

Don't know if that's changed any with the last patch, though.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
RIP in peace, Ryo. I was rooting for you at Genesis 3, man. Don't feel bad. Just hit the lab again and try, try again. I believe you have what it takes.

Rynozilla

Doesn't Need Anyone
NNID
Midori-Ryno
3DS FC
4871-3209-8796
I've decided that Ike is my main until Bayo comes out, but I really want to see how good/bad I am with him. Anyone up for some sparring? o3o

Rynozilla

Doesn't Need Anyone
NNID
Midori-Ryno
3DS FC
4871-3209-8796
Careful you don't get hooked... There's a reason We Like Ike.
If you mean hooked on Ike, it's much too late for that. I already love him more than every other character in the game. xD He has amazing hitboxes on almost every move, and they all hurt a ton. Rather beautiful.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I've decided that Ike is my main until Bayo comes out, but I really want to see how good/bad I am with him. Anyone up for some sparring? o3o
You can try joining the skype group and see if anyone is on to play there. I usually get home around 6PM EST and can usually play anyone.

Rynozilla

Doesn't Need Anyone
NNID
Midori-Ryno
3DS FC
4871-3209-8796
You can try joining the skype group and see if anyone is on to play there. I usually get home around 6PM EST and can usually play anyone.
My Skype name is the same as my name on here o.o
Who do I add to get into the Skype group?

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
RIP in peace, Ryo. I was rooting for you at Genesis 3, man. Don't feel bad. Just hit the lab again and try, try again. I believe you have what it takes.
Ryo is the reason I picked up Ike again used him quite a bit in Brawl, then in smash 4 he didn't really appeal to me until he was buffed and I saw a few matches of Ryo's...

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So I've come to terms with my known worst habits:

1) Air hopping early. Using my double jump high when I get launched. Sometimes I do this because I don't want to go low. Or rather, I use it as a mixup to avoid people going low to gimp me into a stagespike. This got me finished by RDR7's Jigglypuff.

2) Unfamiliar matchups. Just like a deer in headlights, I pretty much just let Jigglypuff get back on stage. I'm not sure if you're supposed to go offstage and edgeguard her or not. His neutral dominated mine. He'd throw out safe Fairs, Nairs, mix in dash grabs and dash attack to beat me out. I'm wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do, or whether to edgeguard or stay on stage, or what move beats what and what I should be shielding to punish.

3) Bad autocancels. Sometimes I'll do what I thought was a safe Bair. Instead, I'm getting dashgrabbed. What was supposed to be an autocancel ended up being timed poorly, giving me tons of endlag. Sometimes that goes with how I land with Fair and Bair, hoping that I'm high enough to autocancel and continue moving. They just get yet another punish on me.

4) Leaving my shield early. I absolutely despite Sheiks who Fair you right into a grab. That's just one example. Characters that hit your shield with an aerial and autocancel into a grab are absolutely annoying. I have a bad, bad habit of leaving my shield early while a multihit gets me. I hate getting grabbed, so I'm looking for exactly when to OoS jab. But that's when they hit me. They'll land an aerial multihit (such as Meta-Knight's Mach Tornado) and I'll leave my shield, or run up to me for a Limit Cross Slash. I'll think it's for a dashgrab, and even though I blocked the first two hits, I still leave my shield.

Sometimes that's for a shieldgrab, and that in itself is a bad choice. It's also one of my bad ticks.

The good news? I've been getting rid of my rolling habit. Most of my rolls at this point are accidental - usually triggered when I try to dash out of shield, but don't release shield in time. I'm also spending a LOT less time wasting moves and hitting them when I believe they're going to hit. Plus, I've been doing my best to play more reactively. Rather than just "hope" they fall for it, with the exceptions of hard-read USmashes, I try to predict and read before attacking.

I posted matchup-specific issues from SDS in the matchup thread, but this is my real, basic habits and the ones I'm going to work on before my next big tournament on Saturday.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
Is it generally accepted practice to list your "Wii U main" as your main and "3DS main" as your secondary? I recently picked up Fox as a secondary and I think I should start with that, even though I don't own a Wii U...

EDIT: Donezo

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Is it generally accepted practice to list your "Wii U main" as your main and "3DS main" as your secondary? I recently picked up Fox as a secondary and I think I should start with that, even though I don't own a Wii U...
I'm not sure. I have my 3ds main set to Ike just so he's next to pm/brawl, despite him being my Main, pika as a secondary. I don't really think it matters.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I just set it to list as many of my preferred characters as possible. I never used Bowser in Melee and never even played PM, but there they are.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Nair does 10% now...
Fair -> up to 13% from 12%. oh god
Uthrow feels different? Not sure yet..

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Nair is better. It does 10% and is better as a combo starter. Fair also does 1% more, and it matters when it comes to killing. Apparently Eruption has also been buffed.

D

Deleted member 269706

Nair is better. It does 10% and is better as a combo starter. Fair also does 1% more, and it matters when it comes to killing. Apparently Eruption has also been buffed.
What exactly makes it a better combo starter?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
N-Air works better with slightly better KB, rage actually helped it a lot, which is comparable to 1 percent more damage.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The N-air buff is definitely nice. 1% more damage to all combos involving it, as well as new kill confirms. I am especially overjoyed about the 1% damage buff to F-air; it now does the same amount of damage as the one from SSBB.

Although these are small changes, this would surely give the Ike meta one final push. ^-^

Arrei

Smash Lord
Alas, no backwards or ledge-snapping Aether or non-terrible Dair and Fsmash for us.

I notice Marthcina got some pretty significant damage buffs, so perhaps these were to compensate for that? Not as many as they received, but both of ours are changes to BnB moves so they'll see a lot of use.

Last edited:

constable lemon

Smash Cadet
I can see why they buffed Ike to keep up with the power creep of other characters but at the same time, I think most people agreed he was fine as he was and I would have preferred they buffed a worse character instead.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I can agree with that. I'm certainly not going to complain about more Ike buffs, but I would have liked to have seen some others brought up (or some others brought down...)

Arrei

Smash Lord
Same here. Poor Palutena, Jiggs, etc.

But this can't be the final balance patch, can it? It's the last major update, but Corrin and Bayonetta will surely need to be adjusted in the future.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
They could've fixed D-Air or D-Smash, but I'll take any buffs at this point.

Hopefully the N-Air and F-Air buffs combined with the weight changes for some of the cast help out with those MUs.

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
anyone else try Corrin out? I'm honestly considering switching mains at this rate.....

Arrei

Smash Lord
Messed around a little but I'm not entirely used to Corrin yet. I'm not entirely sure I like how limited their offstage options seem to be, especially when they've got one of those falling Dairs that is suicide when used offstage. (Dragging people to hell with me when I have a stock lead is my favorite thing, though.)

Their Uair is so good and they have some good combo potential, but I can't say they're "new main" material for me yet.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised by how much they changed neutral air. The different trajectory (is it 80°?) is messing me up a lot, but it is better overall.

I'm curious about the knockback adjustments to it. For only a 1% increase the KO power shouldn't have improved this much, right? Ike's neutral air seems comparable to a good deal of kill move up-airs, even including Corrin and Cloud's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom