• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The SmashWiki page is terrible. He got buffed almost the entire way around. He doesn't do as much damage, but has chains.

Oh, and he lost dtilt spike. rip

Arrei

Smash Lord
I just finished editing it to be a little more accurate summary of what the changes have done to him.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The "shorter range" part still doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sure the only move that took a considerable range reduction is F-air. Everything else just seems intact.

I'll miss that D-tilt meteor as well. Thankfully, its new properties more than compensate for it. It was hardly ever used in SSBB's high-level play, being used almost exclusively for spiking; now, it has become a staple for Ike's meta in SSB4.

^-^

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, I can't tell if the people who think he has shorter reach have a point or if it's something else, but that nerf point about having reduced reach has been there since forever so I wasn't about to mess with something I don't have hard data on.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Ike is far better than he could ever dream to be in Brawl. Promoting from Ranger to Hero should come with some serious buffs, and I'll take this Ike over Brawl Ike any day of the week.

Ike got a speed nerf in Radiant Dawn, but he should be faster, considering he's a much more experienced warrior now.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike's Hero stats are all-around better in RD, with only RES being worse. All his caps got increased slightly too.

Then again, Ike in PoR was a speedy bruiser character, not a sluggish powerhouse. His signature stat was speed after all, with decent Str/Skl.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
In both games, Ike's Skill and Speed were his highest and second highest capped stats respectively (tied with Strength in RD), which is why I kinda ******* when I first saw that they made Ike really slow in Brawl.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Thanks you guys so much! My Ike has improved tremendously! I've stopped approaching and been emphasizing my defence far more consistently and and effectively. I've started using aerials to halt approaches, D-tilt to set-up combos, Quick Draw to snag quick punishes, and have overall been playing far less a aggressively. My biggest improvement by far however has been discovering the magic that is pivot F-tilt. This singe manoeuvre has allowed to control more space, bait, and trap far better than before. I'd like to thank @ san. san. , @ Xuan Wu Xuan Wu , and @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG specifically for giving me this helpful advice.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
In both games, Ike's Skill and Speed were his highest and second highest capped stats respectively (tied with Strength in RD), which is why I kinda *****ed when I first saw that they made Ike really slow in Brawl.
Yeah, I was depressed. Why Esdeath?!

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Thanks you guys so much! My Ike has improved tremendously! I've stopped approaching and been emphasizing my defence far more consistently and and effectively. I've started using aerials to halt approaches, D-tilt to set-up combos, Quick Draw to snag quick punishes, and have overall been playing far less a aggressively. My biggest improvement by far however has been discovering the magic that is pivot F-tilt. This singe manoeuvre has allowed to control more space, bait, and trap far better than before. I'd like to thank @ san. san. , @ Xuan Wu Xuan Wu , and @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG specifically for giving me this helpful advice.
Oh? I didn't do anything, actually. I think you meant to credit another user, like Rango or Trunks, for they were the ones that provided insight. ^-^

Anyways, congrats! :)

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I dunno about you all, but I play a lot of aggro in my Ike.

It catches people off, but against good opponents you do have to dial it down a lot. It's one of the main things I have to work on, though.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I dunno about you all, but I play a lot of aggro in my Ike.

It catches people off, but against good opponents you do have to dial it down a lot. It's one of the main things I have to work on, though.
I do too. I need to learn how to play him defensively in this game. Definitely challenges your creativity.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
My main problem with being super defensive is characters that can dance right out of our attack range.

Trying to stay right in attack range is probably the hardest thing you can do in Smash 4, with Sheik/Diddy/Falcon being as fast as they are.

Arrei

Smash Lord
If I'm not on the ground reacting to approaches, I tend to hop around like a caffeinated rabbit when playing defensively, trying to skirt close to but still remain out of my opponent's comfort zone, to trick them into going aggressive when it's unwise. It's not a smart move against every opponent, especially against Falcon since he can dash and Uair if you spend too long floating around, but it gives me the ability to respond with Nair at a moment's notice, as well as go for sudden FF Bairs and dash grabs when my foe doesn't expect it.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I do too. I need to learn how to play him defensively in this game. Definitely challenges your creativity.
I love playing defensively. Once I got a feel of the game, playing defensively feels so natural, especially with Ike. His long disjointed reach and long lasting hit-boxes fit perfectly with my playstyle. He's also not passive like Duck Hunt. I've always have a hard time find ign a character that fit my defensive gameplay, and I haven't felt this good about playing a character since Snake.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I just put together a string of several consecutive FG wins with Ike tonight and that feels like quite an accomplishment given that I couldn't win a single FG match with anyone a while back.

Either it's so late that no good players are on right now or reading this Ike forum has really helped my gameplay.

Fighting for my friends has never felt so good :4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think I need to learn to just dash away after the dtilt sometimes. I usually just try to jab, do another dtilt, shield, or jump, and I don't think I thought of that option even though it seems the smartest if you miss, depending on your spacing..

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
Well, I have a SSB4 Tournet on Sunday, so wish me luck.

Also, I can now play people online, so I'd like to fight you guys here, for reasons of me being critiqued on my Ike.
I've never been critiqued on my actual play, and I want to get better, so I need to know what needs changing.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
One piece of advice I can give is if you can record your matches, do that. That's a start.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Well, I have a SSB4 Tournet on Sunday, so wish me luck.

Also, I can now play people online, so I'd like to fight you guys here, for reasons of me being critiqued on my Ike.
I've never been critiqued on my actual play, and I want to get better, so I need to know what needs changing.
I believe there's a Skype group if you want to Smash with the Ike mains.
And good luck!

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Does anyone else here have Ike's Amiibo? Just curious, because I was told that Ike was thought to be one of the hardest Amiibo to find.
I've got one, but I also pre-ordered him. I'm not a good candidate to identify if he's a rare Amiibo or not. Haven't seen him much since then though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm by default a really defensive and read oriented player. I haven't yet had an opportunity to play against you, how does your schedule look this weekend?

I don't consider myself great, but I think I have the basics down for Ike, and maybe you would have interest in seeing defensive habits in my Ike, Ganon, Doc, and Mario.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm by default a really defensive and read oriented player. I haven't yet had an opportunity to play against you, how does your schedule look this weekend?

I don't consider myself great, but I think I have the basics down for Ike, and maybe you would have interest in seeing defensive habits in my Ike, Ganon, Doc, and Mario.
Around this time most days are good.

To go into more detail, the changes to fair, Nair, jab, and Ike's airspeed lends itself more towards a bait and punish game than defensive walling for me. Many more empty hops, bair pressure, air to ground mixups, and general "tricky" movement before committing to an attack. Perhaps I am just not used to the increased speed for attacks such as retreating fair.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
Well, I got 2nd place at my tournament (lost to a Ness) and got a LoZ poster as my prize. It was a fun event. Now that I have internet where I am, I'd like to fight some other Ike mains here in the 3DS version, for reasons of learning :D.

( And just so you know, it was Double Elim Bo3. I 2-0'd everyone, except the guy I lost to, who beat me 1-2)

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
You know, for all of Aether's weaknesses as a recovery, I can't help but adore how wonderfully trollish it is to kill a would-be gimper with your recovery move. Fate was feeling particularly merciless for a Yoshi I played on FG today. He went for an offstage kill and missed, then double jumped... right into Ike spinning in place at the ledge, and right as his super armor from his jump wore off. But forget getting spiked, all he took was 1% of damage from getting nicked by the blade one time, the only damage he took on that stock, and he was doomed, tossing eggs in vain as he floated down to the bottom.

The kicker is, this transpired immediately after he chose to attack me during a congratulatory taunt I was giving him for footstooling me for a kill. Talk about instant karma, haha!

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
You know, for all of Aether's weaknesses as a recovery, I can't help but adore how wonderfully trollish it is to kill a would-be gimper with your recovery move. Fate was feeling particularly merciless for a Yoshi I played on FG today. He went for an offstage kill and missed, then double jumped... right into Ike spinning in place at the ledge, and right as his super armor from his jump wore off. But forget getting spiked, all he took was 1% of damage from getting nicked by the blade one time, the only damage he took on that stock, and he was doomed, tossing eggs in vain as he floated down to the bottom.

The kicker is, this transpired immediately after he chose to attack me during a congratulatory taunt I was giving him for footstooling me for a kill. Talk about instant karma, haha!
Actually, I've been using Aether in this method quite a bit. If I'm still recovering and my opponent goes offstage to gimp me, I'll use Aether to take us both down. Sometimes I can get an edgeguard with Aether by catching an opponent at the start and going offstage. I only do this if I have the stock lead though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ san. san. All that stuff you know about Ike...especially in the ditto lol. I think in general it was really insightful watching how you play out trap situations. You punished me so well every time I missteped.

First time I've played vs a Mii Gunner as well. I learned a lot.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I always play worse in an Ike ditto then I do in most match-ups.

Maybe I just don't know how to play against Ike, since barely anyone uses him.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So I have a little problem with Ryuga. I had it on another thread since he was active in it, but I'll just summarize what happened. We used to play sometimes in Brawl and 3DS, but when I challenged him on another thread, he tells me he doesn't play WiFi. LordMix contacts me on Skype and tells me that they're playing now. I told him he told me he doesn't play WiFi. Through LordMix, he challenges me while Mix spectates.

Knowing our previous history, I'm expecting Ike vs. Ike. I had a problem with Ryuga once in the past, but I honestly thought he'd grown up and out of it. He's Sheik, I'm Ike. If I'd known he didn't want to take this seriously, I'd have played Link or Mega Man instead. Maybe we'd do Ike dittos after?

Mix SDs once. Before the second SD, Ryuga has already attacked me. Generally this constitutes a restart of the match, but since I thought it was just simple friendlies, I continued the match anyway. His Sheik admittedly wins, but of course, I'm not playing seriously on round one. He leaves. ...Okay?

Then he messages me on Skype, tells me I suck, and leaves the chat immediately. I honestly don't understand why he decided to be an absolute prick, but I'm certainly not okay with it. LordMix tells me - from Ryuga - that he just wanted to "**** on me and leave." So rather than expect an epic Ike vs. Ike round - as I've had with plenty of respectable Ike players in the past, he's basically just being a douche.

I know Ryuga's name is well-known around the Ike community, but I wanted to clarify now that I've lost any respect I had for him, skilled or otherwise. I don't know how many of you have played him in the past, but if you've had any problems with the guy, then you can probably relate. We had a problem on AiB (now Nintendodojo) when he was continuously harassing me on Free Play chat to the point that I had to get the mods involved and his account banned. I don't know if he's disrespected any of the other Smashers before this incident, but I'm really not digging it and hoping I can let you guys know what happened before anyone else here falls for his shenanigans.

Right now, I'm interested in improving in the game, getting better, and helping other people get better at the game as well. I'm not interested in someone acting like a 10-year-old wasting other players' time.

Last edited:

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
So I have a little problem with Ryuga. I had it on another thread since he was active in it, but I'll just summarize what happened. We used to play sometimes in Brawl and 3DS, but when I challenged him on another thread, he tells me he doesn't play WiFi. LordMix contacts me on Skype and tells me that they're playing now. I told him he told me he doesn't play WiFi. Through LordMix, he challenges me while Mix spectates.

Knowing our previous history, I'm expecting Ike vs. Ike. I had a problem with Ryuga once in the past, but I honestly thought he'd grown up and out of it. He's Sheik, I'm Ike. If I'd known he didn't want to take this seriously, I'd have played Link or Mega Man instead. Maybe we'd do Ike dittos after?

Mix SDs once. Before the second SD, Ryuga has already attacked me. Generally this constitutes a restart of the match, but since I thought it was just simple friendlies, I continued the match anyway. His Sheik admittedly wins, but of course, I'm not playing seriously on round one. He leaves. ...Okay?

Then he messages me on Skype, tells me I suck, and leaves the chat immediately. I honestly don't understand why he decided to be an absolute prick, but I'm certainly not okay with it. LordMix tells me - from Ryuga - that he just wanted to "**** on me and leave." So rather than expect an epic Ike vs. Ike round - as I've had with plenty of respectable Ike players in the past, he's basically just being a douche.

I know Ryuga's name is well-known around the Ike community, but I wanted to clarify now that I've lost any respect I had for him, skilled or otherwise. I don't know how many of you have played him in the past, but if you've had any problems with the guy, then you can probably relate. We had a problem on AiB (now Nintendodojo) when he was continuously harassing me on Free Play chat to the point that I had to get the mods involved and his account banned. I don't know if he's disrespected any of the other Smashers before this incident, but I'm really not digging it and hoping I can let you guys know what happened before anyone else here falls for his shenanigans.

Right now, I'm interested in improving in the game, getting better, and helping other people get better at the game as well. I'm not interested in someone acting like a 10-year-old wasting other players' time.
dead

we want this ryuga guy out man

Last edited:
Top Bottom