• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Any buffs would be nice! I still doubt there are any though, outside of maybe some of the weird hitbox stuff that's prevalent in the 3DS version, especially with collisions and when you're up close.

Something I felt was really intuitive in this game that I haven't been able to isolate was how we could pivot out of a dash. Simple, right? We weren't able to pivot in Brawl until we had gone into a full run, making the timing much more strict. We can pretty much X out certain movements when approaching and replace it with the option to pivot bair. Pivot+jump also seems to only add 1 frame or so, feels quicker than Brawl. Of course, it's quite difficult to perform consistently on the 3DS since you have to move back and forth quickly, especially when you want to approach or retreat with it at will, but I think it's a BnB move that I don't see much of in videos.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
That would be the first thing to do at least, making sure the jab combo can be done completely. I can deal with the damage reduction from brawl but please make it a real combo !
Hopefully jab won't whiff on Greninja at low % anymore.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Not quite as funny as having people rage at it's Brawl behind hitbox though.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
If you like reading, fsmash is for you.

Actually most of his smashes require reading.
If you like getting punished smashes are for you! You should only ever smash when your opponent is nervous, or when you get a amazingly hard read. Using them for killing in the neutral game seems scrubby to me. Even in Brawl I literally relied on speed and fast attacks+spacing as in comparison to the slower Ike using strong moves and suffering from lag.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
If you like getting punished smashes are for you! You should only ever smash when your opponent is nervous, or when you get a amazingly hard read. Using them for killing in the neutral game seems scrubby to me. Even in Brawl I literally relied on speed and fast attacks+spacing as in comparison to the slower Ike using strong moves and suffering from lag.
That's what I normally do, but I find it bad that some character have so much few ending lag on their moves that fsmash will whiff anyway.

For example, I had one match against a Sheik where I totally saw her doing a Fsmash. I space myself so that I evade her hit just by a few and did my smash uncharged during her execution. Even though, she was able the shield almost instantly and I got punish instead.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I just want Ike's Counter to have a higher damage multiplier. It's disappointing that Marth and Lucina, who are generally weaker than Ike damage wise, have counters that scale the same way.

A 1.3x multiplier for his default counter would seem more reasonable for a character that is known for being slow as well as inflicting heavy damage.

^-^

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I use Fsmash a lot... by accident when trying to dash attack/grab lol.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It not like I use fsmash a lot; It is difficult to land that. It's a move that requires good reading and reaction, not "amazing" reading. I think it could be plenty useful on pivoting, but no one has pulled it off in way the opponent didn't expect. Also, Wario MUs may turn around. Turns out wario can pick up the wheels, but he currently can't because of a bug. The tip states you can, as well as eating it, which he's able to.

Just when I thought they removed the wheels for good.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
When it comes to dash attacks, I recommend pushing down+A instead of doing forward+A. You won't do any more accidental f-smashes this way. :)
Thanks, that works great! I used to always use the c-stick down, not noticing I could have just pushed down+A on the 3ds lol.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
Fully charged QD now makes Ike glow red. Not sure if this means anything since it's probably just for indication purposes.

http://youtu.be/j1lHnFSREHw

:45 seconds in.
Glowing Red ? Well, there is one place where I have seen that before and it was in Project M. QD was fully charge after 1 sec then after it was going into overflow where it was becoming extremely powerful. At the end, Ike become fully red and automatically send off with Quick Draw. If you pass an opponent and press B at max charge at the right timing, you OHKO the opponent no matter what. Now I doubt they would have done the same thing here, maybe it is just an indicator of max charge. Still, this will need some testing once the WiiU version is available !

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So a multitude of people were saying ike is "now faster" in the event today. I only played zss and kirby when trying the game though.

Windam

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2578-3146-8078
I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, but I can only imagine a vague statement like that could just be written off as a placebo change.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'd like to know if the people who said that actually played Ike on the 3ds. They might be comparing him to Brawl Ike.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well if they said ike is faster, doesn't that hint they also played him in the 3DS version? I mean all of them have the game in their hands, and they are talking more about ssb4 than brawl. Especially with the latest 3DS update coming this month.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Well if they said ike is faster, doesn't that hint they also played him in the 3DS version? I mean all of them have the game in their hands, and they are talking more about ssb4 than brawl. Especially with the latest 3DS update coming this month.
Where are these events?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Still, if they haven't played against a good Ike they wouldn't know how fast he is. Chances are they saw your Ike and thought Ike was faster, but in reality you're just good lol

D

Deleted member 269706

After watching Ryuga's Ike, I'm starting to get a bit better. I went up against a Diddy, Toon Link and Kirby in 1v1 FG, managed to beat all of them, and it wasn't even too close. At first it was pretty discouraging, cause they would just projectile spam me, but in the end, you just have to say up in their face, and they barely know how to react. Ike's speed isn't too much of a problem for me anymore, it's all about prediction, knowing what moves to use, and when. And those aerials...don't underestimate 'em.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
After watching Ryuga's Ike, I'm starting to get a bit better. I went up against a Diddy, Toon Link and Kirby in 1v1 FG, managed to beat all of them, and it wasn't even too close. At first it was pretty discouraging, cause they would just projectile spam me, but in the end, you just have to say up in their face, and they barely know how to react. Ike's speed isn't too much of a problem for me anymore, it's all about prediction, knowing what moves to use, and when. And those aerials...don't underestimate 'em.
Same thing for me. My current way I play Ike is very similar to what he was doing. The only thing I will need to work is play more in order to fasten my reaction to what the other is doing and to improve my ability to read other opponent.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I played against this Mario that was really good, and he combo'd me so easily. I got destroyed as Ike. I switched to King DeDeDe and it was a different story. I feel like Ike needs a combo breaker move like D3's Nair.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
IKE GOT BUFFED.

Jab combo works on that stupid Frog without rage if its fairly close. Registers as 3 hits. Prob safe to assume its 3 hits on entire cast. FAIR IS FASTER HOLY ****.The upper hitbox however seems to be gone.

BRB TESTING MORE.

SH FAIR AUTO CANCELS WTF

Dtilt angle changed to vertical trajectory, does 8 damage now, less recovery however which means its safer on whiff so changed angle may not be that bad and possible combos/traps too.

Ftilt recovers slightly faster.

Bair deals 1% more.

Nair knockback reduced which is great because now we combo much more at mid percents.

Dsmash angle changed to be a bit more horizontal.

SH Auto canceled Fairs is gonna be so sick. You can't put new Ike anywhere near bottom 5 at this point lmao

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
IKE GOT BUFFED.

Jab combo works on that stupid Frog without rage if its fairly close. Registers as 3 hits. Prob safe to assume its 3 hits on entire cast. FAIR IS FASTER HOLY ****.The upper hitbox however seems to be gone.

BRB TESTING MORE.

SH FAIR AUTO CANCELS WTF

Dtilt angle changed to vertical trajectory, does 8 damage now, less recovery however which means its safer on whiff so changed angle may not be that bad and possible combos/traps too.

Ftilt recovers slightly faster.

Bair deals 1% more.

Nair knockback reduced which is great because now we combo much more at mid percents.

Dsmash angle changed to be a bit more horizontal.

SH Auto canceled Fairs is gonna be so sick. You can't put new Ike anywhere near bottom 5 at this point lmao
Ike was never near bottom 5 imo. But sh fairs?

YES.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Faster fair means you can combo from dthrow and uthrow much more quickly. Expect to combo up to 80% easily with dthrow and uthrow or higher if they don't VI correctly.
Dtilt can combo into aerials (you can't turn around for bair, must jump, attack, or shield)
Dsmash feels the same to me, not noticing anything different. All the other ones are correct (nair still 9% damage = lol).

Haven't tested rage yet, probably the same with that.

So overall, he has become very powerful. Prepare for the bandwagoners soon.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
My only problem with the Fair change is some downthrow combos won't work because it doesn't hit as well up high anymore, you'll have to go for up airs or punish an air dodge.

Also down tilt F-Air is almost a 20 percent true combo. Holy jeez.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
My only problem with the Fair change is some downthrow combos won't work because it doesn't hit as well up high anymore, you'll have to go for up airs or punish an air dodge.

Also down tilt F-Air is almost a 20 percent true combo. Holy jeez.
The upper hitbox on the fair feels nerfed, but it may be a positional/timing difference as well, feeling like the latter a bit more.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I think it's the starting being buffed, the move goes too fast to hit up high.

It could be both though.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nair knockback is the same I think.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I think it takes more % to put the opponent in tumble state with Nair. Something definitely changed.

Top Bottom