• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Well they kinda got lucky, their opponents brought them to Delfino, which is really good for Mac.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ryu and Sol were tearing it up today at CEO in Sm4sh doubles...awesome to see Ike making so much hype in the tourney. And with Little Mac...I would've never imagined such a wild duo doing so well.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Dang, what about Rango? The only guy I recognized in his pool was Nairo and Xaltis.
He lost to Xaltis and Solreth. Ryo lost to ESAM and Neos.

Neos and Xaltis are both Rosalina players.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Rango expressed difficultly against Rosalina before IIRC. Don't know about Neos, but I know Xaltis was pretty good from what I saw of him.

We do decent against her. Doesn't mean jank can't happen with that Uair. And CEO has no customs which doesn't help.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I just think the MU needs to be labbed more. No way that it's that bad with all of the kill options Ike has against Luma at least, as well as the range similarity once he's gone. MU inexperience or simply outplayed. Rosa is fast enough to punish, but it's really tough if Ike manages to take away luma consistently.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Moar Dash Attack maybe? Pretty decent range, sends Luma flying, as long as its spaced I don't know if Rosalina herself can punish it hard.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
List of attacks that sends luma into tumble at 0% when fresh:

Jab3, Dtilt, Utilt, Uair, Dair, Bair, Usmash, Dsmash, Fsmash, Dash attack, Quick Draw, Aether: Initial hit, Aether: Slashing Down + landing hitbox.

After ~6% of damage:

Ftilt, Fair

After ~9% of damage:

Nair

We can either go in hard against Luma, or play it safe and pretty much anything will tumble luma after 3 jabs. We can just play our spacing game normally if Luma's slightly damaged. Luma can't respond when in tumble until it touches the ground.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Here's some tips against Rosalina. I played my fourth set against Neos at CEO and here's what I learned:

-Stay away from Smashville. You risk the Luma surviving on the platform when it should be gone.
-Do not airdodge if you get hit with Uair. They WILL read you and punish you hard
-AETHER. Get to the edge as soon as possible and snap the ledge. Using Aether will do three things
--Send you down as quickly as possible
--Activate armor
--Possibly punish Rosalina since the blade starts below Ike, damaging her greatly
-Remember not to abuse Aether as she will instead just position herself directly below you to setup another juggle. Use sparingly.
-Jabs are her biggest enemy. It's a very reliable way to get rid of the Luma safely.
-Dash attack also does the job nicely on an idle Luma, as long as you're far enough away from Rosalina.
-Using jabs is also preferred to hitting her with aerials. She will beat you in the air. On the ground, she's pretty much limited to jabs (only effective with Luma), dashgrab, and dash attack (the dolphin-hump that hits twice). Jab is a great tool for getting her offstage and punishing.

Rosalina loses momentum the moment she is offstage. While recovering, she is limited to:
--Jumping up for a Fair. It has a disjoint and she'll use this at the edge while trying to jump back onstage, usually from below you
--Uair below the stage to "shark" you. This is also to disrupt your Eruption
--Recover early. Up B either onto a platform or behind you to throw off Eruption.
-Getting on the ledge, not to ledge snap, will throw her off completely. Given her large hitbox and floatiness, they may retreat or save their jump. Either way, you can plan an attack from there.

If you're off stage while trying to recover...

-She will use Side B to spam Star Bits. Just hang in there and take the damage. Remember, you die much later than she does, so tough it out and screw the timing up to throw her off.
-Don't be predictable with your Side B or Aether, and don't sink too low. You don't want to get hit with a Dair spike and die early.

Most effective ways to kill Rosalina...

-UTilt. I cannot stress this enough. Rosalinas are culprits for being the most abusing dash-grabbers next to Captain Falcon, Sonic, and Olimar players. If she attempts this and you spot-dodge in time, Utilt will take her out around 80%. The best time to use this is when recovering from the ledge (since if you get up neutral, you're still susceptible to grab). You can also do this while cornering her. She may use dash-grab as a mixup if she has no Luma.
-Dair spike. Given her recovery style and floatiness, if she goes low, Dair is effective. I used it to finish Neos at 40% while I was at 150% or so.
-Attrition. Keep whaling on her till 130% or so and playing safe with jabs and whatnot. Corner jab combo or DThrow.

Remember, Rosalina LOVES to abuse dash grab and dash attack mixups. Their aerials have huge hitboxes and they want you in the air to juggle you with Uair. Stay on the ground as much as you can, grab and don't pummel if a Luma is present. Rosalina is one of those exception characters that you're better off not trying to Fair/Bair to kill as much. She's a special case where you have to change it up since her aerials are effective enough to be ours out. Grounded defense is emphasized.

I'll post this on the Matchup thread as well so anyone not on this thread can see as well.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Granted, it's ZeRo's opinion, so it's probably best taken with a grain of salt, but...yeah.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Eh, can't stand ZeRo's videos. His skill at Smash didn't translate into skill at Youtube. What does he say?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Mostly how buffed Ike got this patch, and how he considers Ike between bottom of High Tier and top of Mid tier....So yeah. Stuff Ike mains probably know about already.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I wonder if that's going to cause an influx of Ikes into FG... that's gonna be weird as heck, man.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
So how do you guys like to follow up on d-tilt -> f-air at low percents? I usually go for u-tilt, short hop b-air, or another d-tilt -> f-air.

I'm also starting to use jab a little more since the hits connect more consistently. It's awesome.

D

Deleted member 269706

So how do you guys like to follow up on d-tilt -> f-air at low percents? I usually go for u-tilt, short hop b-air, or another d-tilt -> f-air.

I'm also starting to use jab a little more since the hits connect more consistently. It's awesome.
I love dtilt > fair, it's probably one of my favorite set ups at low percents. That's been one of the reliable strings from the start, so I've always used it. And Ike's jab is awesome. Man, the knockback on jab3 at high percents is insane! It's also really fun to pull out a jab123 after an auto-canceled Nair or Quick Draw because the opponent doesn't expect Ike to follow up so quickly. I've actually seen jab kill at high percentages, around 120ish (presumably due to bad DI, but still...that's awesome).

@ LordShade67 LordShade67 I just saw that video myself, wanted to make it's own thread but it looks like you beat me to posting it, haha. I'm not the biggest fan of ZeRo, but I was surprised to see what he had to say about Ike. I mean, us Ike mains knew how viable Ike really was, but the rest of the Smash community really didn't ever see that...now that ZeRo is coming out and saying that Ike can be so high up on the tier list is pretty awesome, and people might start taking the character a bit more seriously. I'm also happy to see Ryo getting recognition for his play at CEO. Good stuff.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
D tilt F-Air is guaranteed and safe. D-Tilt up tilt shouldn't work, though N-Air Up Tilt works at low percents.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
D-tilt to F-air is nice. My favorite follow-up after it is Dash Grab --> D-throw/U-throw --> aerial (typically F-air or B-air).

How many of you also like D-tilt to B-air? My personal favorite combination of attacks would probably be N-air --> D-tilt --> B-air --> U-throw --> F-air.

^-^

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
Granted, it's ZeRo's opinion, so it's probably best taken with a grain of salt, but...yeah.
It's funny cus I was watching the matches between him and Ryo, and Zero was beating him pretty badly.

I didn't know Ryo would leave such an impression on Zero like that though.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I think Zatch was talking about things you try to go for after the initial Dtilt -> Fair combo, guys? Ways to keep up the pressure, if I'm not mistaken.

Most often, I try to follow the Fair with another Fair, as some opponents don't expect a character like Ike to throw out a barrage of aerials. If I have a bit of a handle on my opponent's habits, I might go for an Fsmash landing trap if they have a tendency to try and fall towards me and attack. And on that rare occasion, I'll pull off another Dtilt -> Fair on fast fallers.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Spoilers! Not really since recent Nintendo games have Amiibo support, but Ike's theme or rather, The Devoted from Radiant Dawn, is in Fire Emblem: Fates/If. Dude, this is such an amazing piece. This should play in your head whenever you're playing as Ike.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm just happy there is singing in this game. I loved the heron galdr from the Tellius Saga. It's a shame that they gave such a bad singer in comparison to Renka.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
How do I recover against Pit?

I can do well against him in the neutral, but once I'm offstage I can't seem to figure out how to get back. He can harass with arrows or just jump off and edgeguard me. It's really frustrating.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, what is it that usually thwarts you? Recovering low is generally the better idea against Pit, as you're a sitting duck if you try and charge Quick Draw.

Also, whatthehoozits? I KOed a Zamus with Counter at 109% from about 1/3 of the stage away from the ledge...except the move I countered was her jab, of all things, either Jab1 or Jab2, red lightning and all. Only at 69% myself, too, so there wasn't much rage. Now I know Counter isn't supposed to kill that early off a move that light.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I got Larry in my evo pools. Time to practice Fox mu.

Also all the Ike sets have paralysis counter, kinda annoying.

Last edited:

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
That means you've also got Iceninja, a Palutena main from my area. Better start grinding out that custom Palu matchup too.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
We weren't. But they didn't think about patches when they made the sets early. There's no 2211 or 3211, only 3111/2111.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Is 1211 really not a standard set? This bugged me when I played at my last tournament because that's the set I became accustomed to.

Top Bottom