• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FRIENDLY FIRE Presents: SSBM - Storrs, CT - April 11th [Plus] SETUPS NEEDED!!!

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Samikay, could you edit the title and add in _V_'s last tournament before he moves to West Coast?

It may help attract some attention.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
V, you're the creator of the ct thread. No one can EVER forget you.

Thanks, Samikay.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Okay so the tournament is in one week, its time to discuss setups. The store is providing a few, but we decided to use the entire store for Smash so we need some more setups. Anybody who brings in a 22" or more TV and a Gamecube/Wii + melee will get their Venue fee completely waived. Stipulation being you must announce that you are bringing a setup beforehand either via email to friendlyfiregc@gmail.com or on the boards here. K thnx

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'm bringing a 22 inch tv /wii and melee.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Actually the tv I'm bringing is 19/20" is that okay or no?

Spife

Smash Master
I guess NE's honorary Link main ( who doesn't beat people) should grace the tourny, I'll go. I mean, I'm doing it for you guys, not for me.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
:D Spife is going! Hoorayyyyy. :D <3 Spife.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Samikay, is this being seeded? I can help you with seeding because I play smash wayyyy too much lol.

Also, what tournament organizer program is being used?

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Yes we will seed this tournament. We will seed as many people as we can and know, and the rest will just be seeded based on order of signup, so the last noob to show up gets pwned. We use a bracket builder program that doesnt update itself and we have to manually type in all the names on fireworks and reexport the image to post it on the tv. Whats a good bracketing program so i can check it out?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Tio is amazing. You can generate a bracket based on location and skill and all that other stuff... I think.

Can I help with seeding though? Obviously not by myself because that'd be incredibly biased, but with another person maybe? That's what Jam had me and Zoso do and his bracket came out amazing.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Alukard had to fight other NY people. It was inevitable. Tristate is too good. There were also only 17 people in the bracket or something so there was no way to not fight a NY person.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Alukard had to fight other NY people. It was inevitable. Tristate is too good. There were also only 17 people in the bracket or something so there was no way to not fight a NY person.
there's a very easy way actually. you look at the bracket, you say there are 4 people from NYC and make sure that they would only play each other in winner's bracket by being the final 4, it's easy, give them the 1,2,3,4 seeds, or like, 1,2,3,5 or like, any combination that doesn't involve 1 and 8, 2 and 7, 3 and 6, or 4 and 5. not that I entirely agree with his reaction, but still, it isn't difficult.

edit: to clarify the problem was playing in the round of 8, not just playing a new yorker.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
I actually think it makes sense to seed by region as well as skill (obviously to an extent). Nobody wants to travel 2 or 3 hours just to play the same people they play back home. Plus, its double elim, the top 2 players will make it to the finals. If you dont agree with 3rd place then ****in money match 'em for all their winnings. Id enjoy watching that. high stakes melee...

Anyway, once we end registration, ill pull spawn and whoever else i trust aside and we'll seed as well as we can, taking into account several things but more or less based on overall skill, but if anybody calls matchup johns theyll be forced to play as Kirby, because Kirby has no bad matchups.

edit: pockyd's sig... just lol.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
as I recall, top 8 was pretty clear for don't get grabbed, it was:

HBK
Hazz
G$
Zoso
Mogwai
Spawn
Alukard
Skler

I honestly think that after Hazz and HBK, the seeding for 3-7 was interchangeable due to relatively close skill levels and making small shifts for the sake of region is an easy way to make sure that people are satisfied with the tourney. I mean, if I were doing seeding for that group of people, my first draft of seeds would be:

1. HBK
2. Hazzard
3. ZoSo
4. G$
5. Alukard
6. Skler
7. Spawn
8. Mogwai

At which point, switching Alukard and Skler is easy, doesn't really hurt the integrity of the bracket seeding, and ensures that NYC players (who traveled the furthest for the tourney) won't have to play each other in winner's bracket until it was mathematically inevitable.

Have any suggestions for improvements? PM me if so :).
I've been trying to think of good ways to seed based off multiple criteria (skill, region and crew to be specific), but as I'm sure you're well aware, doing that all with a program is far from trivial. I've also been playing around with ideas about a dynamic loser's bracket in the interest of making sure that people don't get knocked out of both winner's and loser's by the same player, but this, too, is difficult and would probably be hard to make people sign off on since people like the transparency of a standard bracket with losers going to set positions. They've mostly been idle thoughts from me as of right now, but if I ever take it a little more seriously and come up with something I'll pm you. Out of curiosity, what is tio coded in?

Top Bottom