• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FRIENDLY FIRE Presents: SSBM - Storrs, CT - April 11th [Plus] SETUPS NEEDED!!!

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Saturday April 11th at Friendly Fire Game Center in Storrs, CT.
591 Middle Turnpike, Mansfield, CT
1 Minute from Uconn
25 Minutes from Hartford
30 Minutes from Massachussetts

Registration will start around 12 PM and once you register you can play Smash all the way until registration ends at 2:00 PM sharp. At that point, the brackets will be drawn up and the tournament will start at roughly 2:15. If you can NOT make it before 2:00 on the day of, but can shortly after, you can register ahead of time be emailing friendlyfiregc@gmail.com and we will save you a spot for when you get there, as long as it is before the first round ends.

Singles will be first, followed by a doubles tournament a half hour to an hour afterwards. All the tournaments so far have been run very smoothly so expect the tournament to run between an hour and a half to 3 hours depending on turnout.

$5 Venue Fee
$10 Entry Fee per person per tournament

Friendly Fire Game Center is hosting a SSBM singles and doubles tournament, $5 Venue fee and $10 entry fee per person per event, There is a $5 venue fee, which will cover the cost of friendlies for THE ENTIRE DAY.

Prizes:
1st place - 50%
2nd place - 35%
3rd place - 15%
4th place - will become human sacrifice to the almighty Prince of Fire. If he is not appeased, then 5th place will be sacrificed. If still not, then 6th and so on until he is either appeased or is forced to sacrifice himself, at which point we will all be free from his horrible, horrible curse, and we can begin to worship Mike Gale.

Please bring TV's and Gamecubes/Wiis plus Melee. The first people who bring full setups + 22" or greater TV will get their venue fee waived.
1. SPAWN
2. Roman

If you need sustenance, there are beverages and candy available in the store. There is also a supermarket on the left and a pizza place to the left that has the most succulent crust you have ever tasted. Aside from the Pizza, no other outside food will be allowed in the store. Also, if you order a large pizza and plan to eat it inside the store, then expect me to try and steal a slice. It is sooo good. BRB.

Okay, so if this turns out well and I am able to convince my brother to let me run Brawl and Melee tournaments every month, then these will most likely be the rules that we use from here on out.

Rules:
(borrowed from IcyLight)

• 4 Stock, 8 minute timer, items are set to "off" and "none," all matches are best 2 out of 3 with the exception of Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals (all to be played 3 out of 5)
• First game is double blind character, random stage.
• Second and third games, loser of the previous game picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character.
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If a tie still occurs, play a one stock match in the same match-up, character-wise and stage-wise
• Stage Strike [UPDATED]: Each person strikes one neutral stage and bans one counter-pick stage. This is to be done after initial characters have been chosen. Striking a neutral stage moves it down to counter-pick status. If you wish to remove a neutral stage, you must strike it twice, giving up the opportunity to ban an additional counter-pick stage.
• You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound, Wobbling forever), are banned. Wobbling by itself is allowed, capped at 250%.

Starters
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams

Counters
Mute City
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokefloats
Kongo Jungle 64
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Corneria

All other stages are banned.

The owner of the store is scheduling tournaments based on turnout so if there are going to be more smash tournaments in the future, the turnout for this one has to be good or he will replace them with ****ing Halo tournaments.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
First!

But I can't make it :(

I'll tell the rest of the crew to go though.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Yeah thanks, Jam, get the word out. I obviously dont have enough street cred to get people to come to my tournaments, but if enough people come we can make this a regular thing.

_V_

Smash Ace
Noodles speaks the truth...but I think the place already had a Brawl tournament a few weeks ago? I forget, I get all these updates from it on Facebook...but yeah my point was they may not want more Brawl that soon? I don't know haha.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'll be there. Is it half off both events if they enter? So if I enter doubles and singles, 10 total?

_V_

Smash Ace
I just noticed the store is taking 50% of the pot? That is pretty nuts...I mean I don't care really, but jeez. If the "other prizes" is game time in the store, what if someone that doesn't live in CT wins it? They can't really use stuff like that

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah, taking 50% of the pot is pretty gay. Normally venues take 10-20%.

_V_

Smash Ace
Well it says "$10 entry fee per person per event, 50% going to winners + other prizes"

So...I don't know, it depends on what the other prize is. My point was just that if it is game time at the LAN center, then that is lame. That costs the store nothing and most people attending can't use it.

Even taking 30% of the pot is reasonable in my eyes

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
I will talk to the store owner about the venue fee/pot. Would you guys prefer like a $15 entry fee with the store taking 1/3? Its essentially just 5 dollars per person per event and u can play smash for the whole day if u want. They charged me a 10 dollar venue fee at esticle last time i went so its not any more expensive than that. Also, Mike Gale will probably be there and isnt that worth the venue fee in itself?

@ noodles: we ran a brawl tournament a couple weeks ago but it happened to coincide with Mass Madness. There will most likely be one every month from now on starting in April/May or as early as Next Saturday. When the details are official I will let everybody know.

@ POFFY: it says first 8 people because with those 8 setups plus the ones already provided by the store I doubt we will be able to accomodate any more than that. If we can, then they will also get a discount

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Okay I just talked to my brother, and he agreed to make the Venue fee 5 dollars and the entry fee 5 dollars per person per tournament. He said he would agree to this only if I promised that you guys were all big Sobe drinkers. If you are one of the first people to bring setups and we have space for it, half off the venue fee. After that, if you bring in a BIGGER/BETTER TV then you will also get half off and we will replace somebody elses. (**You will then be forced to play against that person who owns the tv you replaced and whoever loses will have to carry that tv back to the owners car**) Also if you bring an RF adapter, you will get 1 dollar off the venue fee.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Samikay, I'm not going if it's a Venue fee of 5 dollars and entry fee of 5. That's stupid. Just make it 15 and have him take 1/3 of the pot. That sounds reasonable.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
I forgot to post in this. This is like the last Vnus team ever so time to do this ****. LOL *Second to last place* **** YEAH!

I don't really care whatever the fee is, I am poor. rofl. This is like, Pipe, V, Milktea, chubby. They're like my favorite kids in ct. I'll try to make Rep come. Randomly fly Geos up here and it's like a semi old smash reunion. haha.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Thanks Nus. /breaks off friendship

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Im perfectly okay with 15 dollar entry fee, SPAWN, i know IM happy with that, im just worried that it is too steep for those who know they arent going to win (i.e. Nus) and if this is going to be a monthly thing i dont see how i can continue to get people to cough up 30 dollars a month when the same people are likely to win the tournament every time. Just look at it from the perspective of somebody who isnt great at smash and youll see where im coming from. I dont want to shut out people who arent already part of the community. Anyway there is still a month before the tournament so all the fees and specifics are still up for diplomacy. Im momentarily gonna put up 15 dollar, 1/3 pot up and see if i get a backlash. if it sticks then it sticks.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Samikay, you could do a $5 venue fee and then $10 for singles. No money is taken out of the pot though.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Its not actually the same thing. With 15 dollars per event the store makes 5 dollars per person per event whereas with the initial venue fee, they only make 5 dollars per person regardless if they do both events. Im gonna make it 5 dollars venue fee and 10 dollars per event. Ive got no problem with that, id prefer 5 dollar entry fee, but whatever. At 10 dollars, im not likely to enter myself

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
10$ is pretty standard and $5 venue fee is also standard. I'm pretty sure that's what I did with my tournament.

Just a quick question regarding the rules. Striking means you can't use the stage when it pops up in random, but you can use the stage after that. Banning is what it seems you're trying to say for your "stage strike" rule (can't use a stage for an entire set). So are you going to be having us ban one stage(to include counterpicks) or are you going to be having us strike one neutral?

Spife

Smash Master
15 dollars entrance fee sounds pretty steep. If I have a job, i'll be more willing to go. Need genesis money.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
I changed the stage striking rules to be better IMO, if more complicated. I think they are the most fair.

Also, Spife if you want you can just pay the venue fee and play friendlies for the whole day. Thats what ill be doing at Jams tourney on march 15th

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Samikay, I really like the way you did the rules. Nice job. This is basically RoM's ruleset. Nice job.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
**** yeah PoF the four swords are mad cool, i always support. And thanks for the advice and suggestions, spawn, it was helpful.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Mogwai lets say we're going to play at this then one of us not show up and/or just never play at the venue ok?

Top Bottom