• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Of Reference: Skill Level

SVTloren

Smash Rookie
Denver AIM svtloren Brawl FC: 3136-6377-4951 add m
Do you want to get an idea of where your skill level is? You need a frame of reference. Maybe you've said: "eventually I will attend a tournament", but just haven't been able to. Maybe I have a simple solution or maybe I'm a simple minded Noob. Regardless, May I propose a standard measurement of skill level to see where players stack up..... (Keep in mind a real life tournament is king, this is simply an internet friendly way for ALL players to get a rough guess based on agreed standards)

*Setup match as follows:

-10 stock VS
-1 CPU @ level 9 and same character as you (provides a standard for opponent skill level)
-Stage: Final Destination -has NO bias-
-NO Items

*Play the match described above and post answers to the following questions. PLEASE do not exaggerate,

-How Many Lives do you have left?
-What is your damage % at the end of the match?
-What Character did you use?

My Skill Level:

-7 lives left (out of 10)
-26% damage at end
-Y. link (Played this match about 30 minutes ago)

Thanks

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah comps aren't a good frame of reference at all. I can try pillaring them and they'll power shield everything but if I charge up a smash attack they'll walk right into it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Computers are absolutly useless in terms of fighting. If you can find a way to abuse the AI before the AI abuses you, there's no contest.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
ya, its not hard. as falco, i can clear a fox every life taking maybe 1 laser per life. i realize its not "the same character"...but quite frankly, some characters are smarter. zelda/shiek is just awful. changes randomly and stupidly.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I hate threads like this sooooo much.

Computer's don't determine anything. Don't listen to this.

Nice try, I suppose.

pdk

Smash Lord
not to mention that fd is already known not to be as neutral as it looks

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
Cpu's play different than humans, they powershield a lot, meaning that a Falco that uses the SHL as an approach must use a new approach. And like some said Cpu's are dumb, in everything like a Cpu Marth when it recovers.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I understand what it is like to have no idea what your skill level is, but fighting lvl 9 computers isn't really even a starting point. Sure fighting computers has it's advantages and can be used to brush up your tech skill, but that's about it.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Marth
Shield at edge > sidestep their grab > grab/dthrow > SH dair > rinse and repeat.

Things like that make this a bad thing to use as a starting point on basing your skill level.

Fletch

Smash Master
Anyone could just play Ganon vs. Ganon and just infinite stall until the other Ganon kills himself 10 times and do this perfectly. Fox could simply sit on one side of the stage and laser as well. Computers are not a judge of skill whatsoever, and therefore this idea is not so good.

KrulNess

Smash Apprentice
i did a good job, last time i had 8 left, 73% damage

and i was using ness...basically not much that was strange happened

computer nesses really suck...terribly

offcell

Smash Apprentice
I know I'll probably finish with 10 even if I don't do this... Choose Mario as your CPU and then play on the edge. TADA!

Smash Master
I know everyone has shot you down already, but I just wanted to add that FD does have bias toward characters with a strong projectile game and good chaingrabbing abilities. There is no stage that has no bias, but I personally believe that Pokemon Stadium comes close.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
10/10
0%
Ganondorf
I just stalled on the ledge and made them suicide off the stage with their clever upbs. What's the point of it?
And don't tell me I haven't played like I had to, because everyone exploites the weaknesses of the opponent when he wins, I just did it in a more obvious way.
And besides, if I win a match, it's not me that has to change style, it's my opponent. Simple and inarguable as that.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Good Lord! :urg:

That's kinda funny :) Although since all my friends that play melee are at school, when I'm home I usually play ganon on 9 with a handicap, and fight him offensively. It's good to find out what moves leave you wide the heck open and which ones tack on damage without getting mutilated.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't even call that a versus, Rapid :p It was more like, "I'll just Up+B and wait for them to kill themselves the whole round..."

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
You can get better by fighting comps, but you have to play them like they are a regular person, and not take advantage of them. Anyone can charge up a smash and have a comp walk into it. The real trick is practicing what an opponent would do. What I do sometimes is say to my self within the split second of an attack that it wouldn't work, so i don't do it on the comp. Other times i think of how a human would react to what i am doing, and then play accordingly. Its is as if I am playing as two people, myself and my opponent. It is like playing yourself in chess, you get better than ever because you are in the mind of both players. I used to suck at smash even though i knew all the advanced techs and could perform them, but i only had comps to practice against. So i figured out that if i trained like this, i got lightyears better, and it worked.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
heh, this is like saying that going to class will educate you. it depends on exactly what you put into it.

I mean, this obviously isn't a good way to gauge skill. As I said before, Ganondorf seems to have the best AI as far as fighting and spacing (my friend agrees too). Granted, you could sit on the edge of the stage and projectile spam him to death, or figure out how to exploit his AI, but that wouldn't prove anything. You should use him to learn how to approach people and attack offensively without being punished too badly. THAT will just make you a little better, or a little more defensive/cautious.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
playing a level 9 computer will only make you worse. You will start to abuse the computer's stupidity, killing him without getting touched, but you will lose mind games and treat people like they are mindless computers.

FD is in no way neutral. No platforms does not mean neutral, it means there are no platforms to get in the way of comboing the **** out of people with certain characters.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
playing a level 9 computer will only make you worse. You will start to abuse the computer's stupidity, killing him without getting touched, but you will lose mind games and treat people like they are mindless computers.
Not if you do it my way. I don't abuse the computer's stupidity, I attack gung-ho style. The only thing I abuse is the ease of combo-ing them, and edge-guarding. Then again, I suck at both of those against humans. But I've been playing against lvl 9 comps all weekend, for lack of friends, and when I came back to school I played and did much better than I thought I would, against pretty good people. I didn't lose mind games at all, in fact mind games are almost integrated into me at this point, along with the ability to out-think a lot of people.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't really "learn" anything from playing against a LV9 CPU, except to not lose patience when they jab you out of something. Repeatedly. I really get a lot more accomplished in Training mode and against a LV1 CPU (so I can use C-Stick), since when there's no real opponents around I'd rather work on cleaning up my technique, L-Canceling, etc.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Not if you do it my way. I don't abuse the computer's stupidity, I attack gung-ho style. The only thing I abuse is the ease of combo-ing them, and edge-guarding. Then again, I suck at both of those against humans. But I've been playing against lvl 9 comps all weekend, for lack of friends, and when I came back to school I played and did much better than I thought I would, against pretty good people. I didn't lose mind games at all, in fact mind games are almost integrated into me at this point, along with the ability to out-think a lot of people.
wow, congratulations for getting better by playing CPUs. you should only play CPUs when you are practicing combos and other technical skills. And your "pretty good people" probably suck more than a dried sea cucumber sucking a three foot tall lollipop while basking in the rain on a late winter's mourning. But thats just my opinion.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lots of EC players use lvl 1 computers. actually not just EC, but all over. some use training mode (like isai) but lack of c-stick is disorienting sometimes.

lvl 9's are pretty much useless. unless you wanna pick one to team with you heheh <3

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Me and my friend used to do a human cpu doubles match. I always elected to have level 9 Ganondorf.

Go to the edge vs a level 9 Ganon, and edgestall. He will actually upB off the stage to his death. I wouldn't say my skill level had anything to do with winning that match.

Top Bottom