• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.: Fox Movement Tricks :. All Mindgames and Flashy Movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

nox

Smash Apprentice
krazyzyko said:
LOL! I know this ain't that necesary but it is flashy(like this thread is entitled) and a nice mind game.....(eventhough I don't use 'em)

.........later
That's not what I mean. Everything is necessary up to a point , but it's getting ridiculous trying to give names to stuff that are already branded. It's not a frickin platform slip it's just wavelanding....use how you want ...it's a ****in waveland XD

It's not a "shielded" arial ...it's a shffl'ed arial followed with a shine. For god's sake....then you have everyone go "ZOMG LEIK NICE I USE IT ALL TEH TIME , I LUV TEH RABBITHOP FLIGHT !" . Anyway bro , I'm not bashing you , people just need to chill with the techs and the "techs" :ohwell:

It's all good :cool:

JFox

Smash Hero
I don't know if I would call this a Fox trick, since any character can do it. But that is true to a bunch of these I guess...Everyone uses this, but I don't think it has a name.

Dashdancing is going back and forth with the dash animation. Many people will so the same going back and forth using wavedashes. So I thought the logical name should be Wavedancing.

I'm not sure if its worth mentioning, but I use the term with my friend all the time. I thought it would be cool if it got integrated into the lingo some more..

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
Couple of questions:

- Is one really expected to double SHL with just your right thumb, or do you use two fingers? (For example, the both thumbs.)

- How do you Shine+Wavedash+Up B? I've seen it done against a Marth, but the distance from the wavedash, when I do it, doesn't seem to be enough to keep up with Marth's sliding.

Thank you in advance.

The Cape

Smash Master
You forgot the run off to fast fall to illusion cancel.

You just run off, fast fall, then illusion into the ledge.

Great post! Being a Fox user myself I will try to contribute and see if I can add to the thread... but right now I'm still experimenting with certain things. Even though I usually beat everyone I play against I don't consider myself to be a good player because I can't wavedash (or do many other fancy moves) that well.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
Starzonedge said:
Couple of questions:

- Is one really expected to double SHL with just your right thumb, or do you use two fingers? (For example, the both thumbs.)

- How do you Shine+Wavedash+Up B? I've seen it done against a Marth, but the distance from the wavedash, when I do it, doesn't seem to be enough to keep up with Marth's sliding.

Thank you in advance.
for SHDL, yeah, the two main methods of doing it are, either use your right thumb for everything, and be really, really fast (it's not THAT hard...i mean people first think just short hopping in the first place is hard...then that gets easier after practice...same with this)....or you can use the control stick to do the short hop. whatever way is easiest.

generally doing some weird thing with multiple fingers of your right hand is gonna trip you up more than it's going to help you. no use in creating some brand new way of holding your controller arcade-style for SHDLs if you have to switch back to holding it normally to do everything else.

never seen a waveshine->up+b...maybe try dashing after the wavedash, then start the up+b? plus make sure it's a perfect wd.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
DDRKirby(ISQ) said:
for SHDL, yeah, the two main methods of doing it are, either use your right thumb for everything, and be really, really fast (it's not THAT hard...i mean people first think just short hopping in the first place is hard...then that gets easier after practice...same with this)....or you can use the control stick to do the short hop. whatever way is easiest.

generally doing some weird thing with multiple fingers of your right hand is gonna trip you up more than it's going to help you. no use in creating some brand new way of holding your controller arcade-style for SHDLs if you have to switch back to holding it normally to do everything else.

never seen a waveshine->up+b...maybe try dashing after the wavedash, then start the up+b? plus make sure it's a perfect wd.
Oh man... My thumb's just not that fast.

About the Shine/Wavedash/Up B, I've seen it in real life and videos such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgY1qDSPVw

It seems to be an excellent finisher, so, I'd really like to learn the details of how to execute it. The video's quality isn't good at all, so I can't examine it well.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
get faster =pppppp

i watched the entire video. didn't ever see a waveshine->up B. what stock/at about what time does this happen?

perhaps you mean waveshine->up SMASH, which makes much, much more sense. in which case, it's a matter of getting the wavedash to be a perfect wd, then dash up to marth and jump-cancel the dash with a usmash.

also note that if you get a running start into your shine, you slide a little due to your momentum, so you won't have to dash as far. you might even be able to get away with not dashing at all (not sure). heck you might be able to jumpcancel the shine straight to the usmash without a wd, if you get a running start.

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
Oh. Don't know what I was thinking. Yeah, the Up smash was what I meant. I tested it out a bit and it seems I have to be pretty much in Jigglypuff's "rest" position (Basically, on top of the character) and then shine->wavedash-Up smash.

The double SHL is a 1/10 thing for me. I've never bothered jumping with the Control Stick (Much less short hop) so I'll have to choose the "Thumb-does-all" method. Thanks for the replies and such.

JFox

Smash Hero
This sort of question would probably be better if asked in the Fox guide, considering this thread is about Fox movement tricks.

JFox

Smash Hero
Isn't there a way to grab the edge that is really advanced and extremely hard to do? I think its called pivot grabbing, can't remember.

You run at the ledge, than turn around at the last second, and your momentum ends up sliding you off the ledge into a grab. I have done this accidently a couple times, but its ridiculously hard, and can't be done without AR on command.

Also I did this once- You run at the ledge, WD forward, than in the middle of the sliding part of the WD, you turn around so that you slide off the ledge into a grab. Again, pretty ridiculous and not humanly possible to do consistently while playing as Fox.(its probably easier as luigi)

Brookman

Smash Hero
in actuality the shine turn around is rather slow, but if you don't sweet spot the edge with the illusion that is also slow and can get you edge hogged, I really like the back landing to edge hog. it's likme marth's edge hog method. edge canceled bair. it does require you to be very accurate but it's fist

also jfox, a pivot grab is doing a pivot and thge grabbing, nothing to do with the edge: search DA dash grab

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=41038&highlight=pivot+grab

that's not what I was looking for but close enough I guess

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
JFox said:
Isn't there a way to grab the edge that is really advanced and extremely hard to do? I think its called pivot grabbing, can't remember.

You run at the ledge, than turn around at the last second, and your momentum ends up sliding you off the ledge into a grab. I have done this accidently a couple times, but its ridiculously hard, and can't be done without AR on command.

Also I did this once- You run at the ledge, WD forward, than in the middle of the sliding part of the WD, you turn around so that you slide off the ledge into a grab. Again, pretty ridiculous and not humanly possible to do consistently while playing as Fox.(its probably easier as luigi)
If you know how to do a lot of fakes and easily Dashdance it ain't that hard. Just cancel your running by tossing not all the way the joystick the other way right before dropping off the stage. (you can master it in less than a day) ......later

JFox

Smash Hero
krazyzyko said:
If you know how to do a lot of fakes and easily Dashdance it ain't that hard. Just cancel your running by tossing not all the way the joystick the other way right before dropping off the stage. (you can master it in less than a day) ......later
This post made no sense. I did not understand a thing....

"just cancel your running by tossnig not all the way the joystick" -WHAT?! wow...

And Brookman, ya your right about the pivot grab thing. I dunno I guess I forget what its called. Anyone know by any chance?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Is it possible to pivot a f-tilt? I've been working on it lately and can't find a way to do it. I think it's because of the further tilting of the control stick in either direction that disables you from doing the f-tilt, but allows you (of course) to dash in the other direction. It's really hard. But pivot cancelling a f-tilt would be perfect for rapidly turning around and knocking your opponent away from you.

Qazam

Banned via Administration
pretta pimp but yet i ? remains how the hell do u all makee pimpin sigs reply now holla bak bro

JFox

Smash Hero
I figured this out the other day by accident. If you Up B at the right distance from the ledge, you can firefox yourself into a grab of the ledge.

If you stand in the middle of FD, hit Up B so that you are just hovering above the platform. Than shoot over to the ledge, and hold the stick towards the stage. Fox will finish the firefox, and immediately be on the ledge.

I doubt this is useful, but its a pretty cool trick. Name-.......uhhh Firefox Ledge Grab? I dunno. just thought I would share it. Pretty flashy, but very risky and I can't think of how that might benefit you.

Falco101

Smash Journeyman
here's a "mind game / fakeout" that may have been said already, but i only read the first post so bear with me...

while dashing away from enemy, the illusion/phantasm can be done almost immediately back in their direction by crouch-cancelling followed by the appropriate direction + b (obviously)

when i use this move, people think i am running to the other side to spam lasers so they follow to try to attack... before they know it they are hit with the illusion

Brookman

Smash Hero
it's a nice try on your part, but 1) the illusion has an extremely slow start time 2) not very good damage/ knockback 3) will probably only work once on a person, EVER (if they are smart >_>) 4) bad end lage time

it just isn't functional

also: "If you stand in the middle of FD, hit Up B so that you are just hovering above the platform. Than shoot over to the ledge, and hold the stick towards the stage. Fox will finish the firefox, and immediately be on the ledge."

this is how fox sweet spots the edge, it only works from above

if you firefox to the edge from above at an angle or distance from (as long as you pass near the edge) and you are not holding down fox will sweet spot no matter where he is in the firefox

JFox

Smash Hero
I know I made a thread about this, but I think its worth mentioning in here.

Ledgehop Shine Bair-
Its basically a ledgedrop(using down or away from the ledge) followed by an immediate shine. While in the shine you need to turn around VERY quick and than jump cancel the shine. As you jc the shine, hit Back on the C-stick to do a Bair.

In depth description on how to perform this:

The purpose of the shine is so that you are able to turn around and use the Bair (which has more power and range than the Nair). The trickiest part of this technique is turning around and than Jcing the shine fast enough. What I do is I use the control stick to jump cancel the shine. You hit down for the Down b, then immediately go up to jump cancel with the control stick. WHILE on the way to the upward position with the control stick, slide away from the ledge causing fox to turn around.

The result is that Fox turns around and Bair's the opponent in the face. This is good when the opponent is on the platform but just out of reach of an Nair.

Try it out, its pretty nifty.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
JFox I actually realized that if I SHRL (while running to the edge before falling off the stage)

Fox will slide a small distance and fall facing the edge and effectively hang.=The fastest way to edgehog.

.......later

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I haven't actually done this in a match before... You just run off the ledge and doublejump into a sort of ledge-wavedash (as has already been mentioned). But since its a waveland(I think it still counts as one?), you go further. Or you can forward wavedash off the ledge, doublejump when you fall off, and wavedash when you get back up. I've tried it and its pretty tough but works okay.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
Disclaimer - I know you don't use Up B as a primary attack, especially in tournament play.

But if you do it well, it freaks people out. They don't know if you're going to attack them with it or not.

Quote from MookieRah - "I don't know what the hell you were doing with that Up -B. I was like... 'he's not going to attack with that is he?'"

I sometimes (mostly due to fluke) but I shine and immediately jc into a Up-B. Most of the time I can catch them trying to shield grab and then they get hit by a few flames and hopefully get caught in the attack. I'm sure if you wanted you could perfect this trick easily and use it anytime you felt like it instead of it being a fluke for me.. :p

Don't know if that was posted, but that's just me.

And it needs a cool name so... Flareshine >_>

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I noticed that most of this skills(if not all) can be done with Falco. I think it will be fair if someone could post this in the Falky thread.....or just put the title then link to this page and change the names Fox to Falco.(I think Dalal should do it 'cause you started this great thread.)

n00b-lube, I have come back to life MwuHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!.....

EDIT: Look at that post below me, I have double posted! it's been a while WHOOH! what a rush!

...........later

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
StabaDuS said:
How many ways are there to wavedash and which is the best?
Recommended :chuckle: :

1.X,R
2.Y,R

Secondary(more-less) :) :

1.X,L
2.Y,L

DON'T!: :mad:

1.Joystick-(R/L)
2.C-stick(out of shield) Joy-stick(to DI diagonally) air-dodge(R/L)

(8 in total)

.........later

Money_Pizza0

Smash Rookie
Yes, nice explanations and info about the moves. Though most are very basic, still a very thorough guide.

RSIA

Smash Cadet
how about dashing into a sidestep or shield? i use this all the time
also full hopping or even double jumping in the air and coming down on top of the oponent like your going to do an aerial but instead you just land behind them and turn around and grab.. they will most likely be shielding in anticipation of the aerial.
another one my friened likes to pull is dashing past the oponent CCing and forward smashing back in the direction of the oponent. this way you either hit them when they try to grab you or else they shield it but you cant be shield grabbed.

(this is a thread for all mindgames right?)

JFox

Smash Hero
krazyzyko look at the last couple of pages. Notice how many posts you have in this one topic. I know you are in love with this topic, but at this point, its just spam. My question was not directed at you. Please be more sensible with your posts.

Rock Lobsta

Smash Journeyman
krazyzyko said:
Recommended :chuckle: :

1.X,R
2.Y,R

Secondary(more-less) :) :

1.X,L
2.Y,L

DON'T!: :mad:

1.Joystick-(R/L)
2.C-stick(out of shield) Joy-stick(to DI diagonally) air-dodge(R/L)

(8 in total)

.........later
ok, im fairly new to WD, but I find it easier to use L, is this a bad thing? should i be using R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom