• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Matchups? Sheik, Marth, Falco

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
When I first started playing this game, I kept hearing about how good Marth's edgeguarding was. After about a year or so. . . I finally get it. He's the only character where I, more or less, lose heart against when recovering. He can stay onstage, or come out and swat you before you have the chance to decide how to recover.

cjugs

Smash Ace
When I first started playing this game, I kept hearing about how good Marth's edgeguarding was. After about a year or so. . . I finally get it. He's the only character where I, more or less, lose heart against when recovering. He can stay onstage, or come out and swat you before you have the chance to decide how to recover.
Good Marths or even decent Marth's can cover every option you have to get back on the stage it's really annoying. The only thing i have found is to tech his edge guard which half the time isn't possible because his sword is so long, but when you can it throws them off. Marths love edge guarding to so it's annoying when you sence their joy when you are off the stage as fox or falco or pretty much anyone other than maybe samus or link they are tough to edge guard. but i think the only reason marth is a problem towards spacies is because of how he can edge guard .

unknown522

Some guy
i though fox can edge guard fox better than anyone..i maybe wrong i see
sheik has better edgeguarding. Taking the ledge + more range. Also, even if he it's the weak part of aerials, then she can just keep going. Needles are also easier to hit and if he tries to go high, then she can hit him easily at all times.

Marth/falco also have better edgeguarding, but either way, fox shouldn't be recovering vs most of the good characters anyway.

cjugs

Smash Ace
fox is definetly not the best he just has the biggest reward when he edgeguards perfectly aka gimping with a shine. Best edgeuarder? Marth i would say might be the best against spacies but Ganon is best against everyone else and maybe even better against space animals

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Lolwhat? Since when is Jigglypuff not the best edgeguarder against everyone ever ever? Marth at least requires a tiny amount of prediction and reaction, Jigglypuff just jumps out and *****.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Lolwhat? Since when is Jigglypuff not the best edgeguarder against everyone ever ever? Marth at least requires a tiny amount of prediction and reaction, Jigglypuff just jumps out and *****.
Jigglypuff has to guess alot. If she doesn't know which direction you're jumping in, or if you'll airdodge, DJ sweetspot the edge, etc..she'll be forced to eventually pound or something.

Sheik has no risk edge-guards that cover multiple (3/4 generally) options at once. She can also re-grab the ledge from bairs, or drop down **** because of that slight bounce on her up+b. If she misses, she can usually try again with more **** and STILL make it back to edge faster than any other character.

Marth is kind of the same, except he can't use the edge (and thus invincibility) as well.

Edge-guarding tier list:

Sheik
Marth
Jiggs
Falco / Fox

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff has to guess alot. If she doesn't know which direction you're jumping in, or if you'll airdodge, DJ sweetspot the edge, etc..she'll be forced to eventually pound or something.

Sheik has no risk edge-guards that cover multiple (3/4 generally) options at once. She can also re-grab the ledge from bairs, or drop down **** because of that slight bounce on her up+b. If she misses, she can usually try again with more **** and STILL make it back to edge faster than any other character.

Marth is kind of the same, except he can't use the edge (and thus invincibility) as well.

Edge-guarding tier list:

Sheik
Marth
Jiggs
Falco / Fox
this. i always mess up my edgeguards with puff, it's actually relatively hard. puffs are just really good at it. also sheik > all at edgeguarding. watch m2k :psycho:

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
What? Jiggs can edge hang very very well and can throw out large priority, long lasting large hitboxes with F Air and N Air (hell, even D Air) that'll cut through any airdodge attempt and cover all jump directions (including DJ sweetspot if she just falls from the edge) easily and what's more she has the simple ability to hang out there continuing to throw out those hitboxes. There's a reason spacies always die against Hbox and Mango unless they massively balls it up.

Niko45

Smash Master
To be fair, executing a Marth CG 0-"death" is really difficult. And also, "death" in this instance involves a far from guaranteed edge-guard, because its very circumstantial to kill outright from combos into tippers at those %.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
this. i always mess up my edgeguards with puff, it's actually relatively hard. puffs are just really good at it. also sheik > all at edgeguarding. watch m2k :psycho:
Puff's edgeguarding is bonkers. Any character with landing lag all you have to do is hit them once so they need to Up+B, then edgehog them if they fall to short of the stage or Rest them when they land onstage.

On anyone else (and even on the characters with landing lag if you really want to) you toss out a meaty moves and **** them. Only troublesome part is making sure you follow their height properly, since her vertical movement isn't as good. On floaties like Peach you can jump combo weak Fair --> Fair or spam Bairs.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
sheik's edgeguarding is bonkers too dude. there's almost no reason an extremely competent puff or jiggs should really miss an edgeguard. they both have near-perfect edgeguards on the majority of the cast. sheik is just a little better at abusing her ledge invulnerability i think. like i think it's easier to edgeguard marth with sheik than with jiggs with just bair regrab or nair onstage wd back or something. it's not a big distinction and really there's little point in arguing it.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
What? Jiggs can edge hang very very well and can throw out large priority, long lasting large hitboxes with F Air and N Air (hell, even D Air) that'll cut through any airdodge attempt and cover all jump directions (including DJ sweetspot if she just falls from the edge) easily and what's more she has the simple ability to hang out there continuing to throw out those hitboxes. There's a reason spacies always die against Hbox and Mango unless they massively balls it up.
There's a reason only two Jigglypuffs can do it consistently. I've never been afraid of a Jiggs while off the stage unless its those two.

Sheik however...I could name like 7 or 8 Sheik players off the top of my head that have LEGIT edge-guarding. With Sheik there is a formula, a set of moves you should always use in X or Y situation. Assessing that situation and choosing the correct plan of attack almost always covers multiple options and nets you a stock.

IMO Jiggs has to freestyle a bit more. Her method of edge-guarding is thus more prone to failure. At high level, alot of Sheik's **** simply has no holes.

Jiggs bair isn't active for very long, but it is mad good. It actually requires aim to use effectively.

Now ask yourself, does Sheik's bair need aim? :laugh:

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
There's a reason only two Jigglypuffs can do it consistently. I've never been afraid of a Jiggs while off the stage unless its those two.

Sheik however...I could name like 7 or 8 Sheik players off the top of my head that have LEGIT edge-guarding. With Sheik there is a formula, a set of moves you should always use in X or Y situation. Assessing that situation and choosing the correct plan of attack almost always covers multiple options and nets you a stock.

IMO Jiggs has to freestyle a bit more. Her method of edge-guarding is thus more prone to failure. At high level, alot of Sheik's **** simply has no holes.

Jiggs bair isn't active for very long, but it is mad good. It actually requires aim to use effectively.

Dude, hate to break it to you but the only reason they're the only good edgeguarders is because they're the only notable Puffs (though fair enough, Darc too, he seems to have similarly little trouble).

And yeah Jiggs' B Air does require aiming, which is why I said F Air or N Air (particularly F Air) which, just like Sheik's B Air, are dirty great long lastinghitboxes which **** Fox. The only difference is Jiggs can shove them all over the screen, multiple times if necessary.

In the same vein as before, the only reason I think Jiggs' edgeguarding is more "freestyle" orientated is because there are so few high level Puffs. Puff COULD have an equally foolproof, established edgeguarding system were it not for there only being three Puffs, all with very individual styles.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
so i was thinking about it and i think this is why your argument fails, KK:

puff has less guaranteed punishes if someone gets back on stage. Sure, you can rest a CF or Ganon or Sheik out of landing lag, but that's usually just a stock trade. Sheik has much less punishable options - chain grabs, dthrow->slap, techchases, etc. also it's just easier to execute and therefore easier to do more consistently. a perfect jiggs would be just as good as a perfect sheik, im sure, but neither exist, and the latter is easier to emulate.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Dude, hate to break it to you but the only reason they're the only good edgeguarders is because they're the only notable Puffs (though fair enough, Darc too, he seems to have similarly little trouble).

And yeah Jiggs' B Air does require aiming, which is why I said F Air or N Air (particularly F Air) which, just like Sheik's B Air, are dirty great long lastinghitboxes which **** Fox. The only difference is Jiggs can shove them all over the screen, multiple times if necessary.

In the same vein as before, the only reason I think Jiggs' edgeguarding is more "freestyle" orientated is because there are so few high level Puffs. Puff COULD have an equally foolproof, established edgeguarding system were it not for there only being three Puffs, all with very individual styles.
In my very first sentence, the reason I was alluding to is the same one you're trying to explain to me in your first sentence. So yes, I understand that there are only two AMAZING Puff players that show us her true capabilities.

However, I don't believe that the number of amazing Puff representatives *drastically* affects her edge-guard potential and its development and application in high level play. If there was a foolproof, established edge-guarding system with Jiggs - we'd see it currently in practice right now. While the addition of these two great players to the smash community thoroughly changed the way Puff players approached her altogether, I think even at max potential her edge-guarding is still freestyle. Watch an Hbox match. Do you truly see any staple edge strats that can be applied from situation to situation that always work?

I see alot of that **** for Sheik.

For the record, it only takes one good player to revolutionize a character. (See Mango - Jiggs, M2k - Marth, Kdj - Sheik, Taj - Mewtwo)

Between the three of them, if there was anything left to discover or solidify in her gameplay...we would know by now.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Meh, I suppose I see what you're getting at. I still hold though that just because it's not established, doesn't mean it couldn't be. Fall through F Air and N Air covers every option against Fox and is pretty much guaranteed death used correctly. B Air and D Air also ****, it's just that Jiggs' edgeguarding is so good as is, you might as well use something which doesn't require any quirky tech or...aiming.

Then again, this is all pretty irrelevant because at the very top level, Fox is screwed against any top tier off stage.

4 Aces

Smash Ace

Got any tips or rules of thumbs on how to edgeguard as a Sheik? She's sorta like my secondary, so stuff like this would help out immensely.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Then again, this is all pretty irrelevant because at the very top level, Fox is screwed against any top tier off stage.
Just use mind games. P:

Fox still has quite a few options. You got your, liek, 4 distances that Fox Illusion can go, Fox Illusion onto ledge, Fox Illusion over the person, FireFox straight up from below and then grab ledge, FireFox into the stage (ledge techs always help :D), FireFox straight into the ledge (like that super fast grab thang), shines to vary the falling speed and when you're actually going to recover, air dodge, and that's all I can think of. But those are still quite a few options when you think about it P:

A lot of what gets discussed is theoretical, and that's good an' all, but humans aren't perfect so you just gotta do what it takes to trick them.

And wait, why do you ask about Sheik tips in the Fox boards? XD I'm not a Sheik player, but I'd say b-air from the ledge is good with its priority and range. Always use needles to wreck recoveries. Uhhh... if you can catch any character coming over the ledge/not sweet-spotting, you can always dash attack them/f-tilt into a f-air. Or d-tilt > f-tilt > f-air.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Got any tips or rules of thumbs on how to edgeguard as a Sheik? She's sorta like my secondary, so stuff like this would help out immensely.
I've never talked to any smash player that knows more about Sheik than Kirbykaze. You should definitely PM him. He's a fountain of information on that character.

PB&J

Smash Hero
shiek is not better at edge guarding than marth..i disagree with her being better than fox too..shes good at edge guarding but not as good as marth vs the whole cast..so i disagree and will always will

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
so i was thinking about it and i think this is why your argument fails, KK:

puff has less guaranteed punishes if someone gets back on stage. Sure, you can rest a CF or Ganon or Sheik out of landing lag, but that's usually just a stock trade. Sheik has much less punishable options - chain grabs, dthrow->slap, techchases, etc. also it's just easier to execute and therefore easier to do more consistently. a perfect jiggs would be just as good as a perfect sheik, im sure, but neither exist, and the latter is easier to emulate.
1) I never said Jiggs's edgeguarding was better than Sheik's. I should have edited that last part out in the quote but I really didn't care about it. But whatever, I guess it's my mistake. Anyway, I was responding to you saying it was hard to edgeguard with her. No, it isn't. Whether or not you specifically fail at something does not say much about its difficulty, to me.

2) Sheik rarely trades stocks for Rest unless Puff has already lived a good long while. You're also disregarding her other punishes for onstage recoveries (F-smash being the big one, with its monster knockback) and also pretending that Jigglypuff cannot simply Bair --> Bair the opponent offstage a bunch of times to kill them.

I guess it's my fault for not mentioning them and oversimplifying her edgeguarding game to one strat vs those recovery styles, but the fact that she can edgeguard with inescapable death on laggy recoveries gives her probably the best game vs anyone's last stock, and the fact that it KOs at 15 also enables some very, very good trades (one stock at 156% vs a stock at 20% is fantastic). I am also of the opinion that you also are by no means guaranteed to die every single time you use Rest on an onstage Falcon or Ganon.

As far as I'm concerned, Resting / F-smashing a stationary target isn't difficult. Neither is doing Bairs (or other moves) at someone offstage. Whether or not it's harder with Sheik or Puff is largely irrelevant to me if both characters routinely do that crap at high level.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
dude yeah i agree. that wasnt an attack on you at all, i already said in my previous post that it's such a slight distinction that it's not worth worrying about. i was just thinking about it some more that day and thought that since jiggs punishes of on stage laggy recoveries are somewhat riskier than sheik's, i'd give sheik the edge.

also if someone lands on stage and you bair them, they can usually CC tech it unless they're too close to the edge or at too high percent, which is another little thing that dthrow->fair or whatever doesnt suffer from.

yoloswag420blazeit

Smash Rookie
so bringing this convo back to life.....someone wanna make a general flowchart for fox edgeguarding marth for little ol me? when they can def make it back on stage should i grab ledge and look for a bair or stay on stage and look to punish a non-sweet spot with a down smash or something? also if they can make it only slightly on stage with their up-b, should i use the marth-killer or grab ledge -> bair

Last edited:

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
so getting bringing this convo back to life.....someone wanna make a general flowchart for fox edgeguarding marth for little ol me? when they can def make it back on stage should i grab ledge and look for a bair or stay on stage and look to punish a non-sweet spot with a down smash or something? also if they can make it only slightly on stage with their up-b, should i use the marth-killer or grab ledge -> bair
at high damage you can just bair but at lower damage (and high damage too), you can grab ledge, and then dair from ledge int.o waveshine upsmash. that's what I like to do at least.

Top Bottom