• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

Nixernator

Smash Ace
How do people set their fingers for multishines? I can shine turnaround out of run, shine land on platforms and the like but find it hard to do multiple (more than 2) shines by sliding from c -> b. It's very easy to get one or two, do you guys claw once you smell a multi shine coming?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think most people simply slide from left c to b with the right thumb (that's what I do). I don't feel it's more uncomfortable for multishine. I mean if you can do one with this technique, just repeat it quickly.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I guess I'll just practice more I find getting back from b to c the hard part. Does hitlag on shield give you more time? I practice it standing usually, maybe I'll get my house mate to help me practice hah

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
You can be a master of multishining, but just remember the best Foxes don't even do that. Some of them don't even shine. Focus on spacing if you want to beat anybody worth beating.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Yeah, I played 64 since its come out and played more brawl competitively so spacing is my better skill set I think. It's just hard to get good offline practice in Australia, and I only have access to a computer to play online once a week (and my time is stretched thin on it). So I just practice random tech by myself for 20-30 mins a day.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Last edited by a moderator:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Except your opponent is not teching. It will therefore never work against a real person. The only way to properly shine grab is to use stage gimmicks (slopes for example) and that makes it a very situational technique. Shine on shield to grab OTOH... Kinda works like a jab grab on shield.

Sangoku

Smash Master
mixa staying true to himself, always coming up with the perfect exception/counter example. It doesn't change the fact that it's a gimmick to rely on such a mistake from your opponent.

And even if we know your goal isn't to prove a point, the beginners reading this might get confused.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
mixa staying true to himself
can't say I don't appreciate being perceived as consistent. thanks

i agree that it's a gimmick but i disagree that i'm pulling exceptions out of a hat. near is not a real person. it's a fake as far as i know

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Anyone have good tips/videos the fox kirby matchup? I just seem to run away a lot and try to camp above them till they make a mistake. I don't really like relying on my opponent messing up to get in, is there any better ways?

Sedda

Smash Champion
Did he tell you he sandbags in friendlies? it may be safer to assume that japanese players are also capable of johnning

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Did he tell you he sandbags in friendlies? it may be safer to assume that japanese players are also capable of johnning
It's something i've seen moyashi and kikoushi do. Moyashi is really good at it. Ask boom how many times he beat moyashi before they played in tournament lol.

I'll give you a hint: keyboard king was beating moyashi

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
This is kikoushi tho. I don't see why he would sandbag if he was given the opportunity to play isais fox or pika

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
So Boom should study how to beat Moyashi with those friendlies against Donpurin (the same Moyashi who sandbags), but we should ignore the Isai games where he won, because they were friendlies? Even though he played better Fox than Boom did?
Apex 2013 games have expired metagame in them, use with caution!

You beat Han Solo and proclaim that J Fox sucks, but then you lose to J-SNAKE and proclaim that J Fox is amazing?

Gotta ganbatte harder on those thought processes, Karajones.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
he isn't a tryhard in friendlies. I almost beat him once lol. I wached him get beat by an amateur kirby player in friendlies.
Yeah, but... Isai is not some random Kirby

You beat Han Solo and proclaim that J Fox sucks, but then you lose to J-SNAKE and proclaim that J Fox is amazing?
Pretty much this. I can't take Karajan's opinion too seriously because he flip flops on a lot of things. Who knows what he's going to be preaching once he comes back from Peru... which reminds me.

Anyone have good tips/videos the fox kirby matchup? I just seem to run away a lot and try to camp above them till they make a mistake. I don't really like relying on my opponent messing up to get in, is there any better ways?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcGmYUDgmA

Orlando is the guy who won the peruvian national tournament last year. Apparently he's not considered the best, but both of these guys are top 10 in Peru. Definitely worth a watch. Plenty of matches available from that session too.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Karajan will just say anything to hate on Isai.

And to tout boom.

Come to peace with it dudes.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
So Boom should study how to beat Moyashi with those friendlies against Donpurin (the same Moyashi who sandbags), but we should ignore the Isai games where he won, because they were friendlies? Even though he played better Fox than Boom did?
That wasnt a friendly, it was a ranked match ******

I didn't know han solo sucked at that point in time. I didnt say fox was amazing ****head, i said he is better in J version. J fox cant be that amazing if i was able to take games off of their best fox player.

Yeah, but... Isai is not some random Kirby.
that was not isai's kirby it was kikoushi kirby vs isai fox

@rjgbadger make your own damn adapter

Karajan will just say anything to hate on Isai.
Yeah Isai deserves hate because of the disrespect he showed to the smash community in japan and never apologized for

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Nixernator

Smash Ace
@ Sedda Sedda : thanks for the vids I will watch, but I'm sure a lot of people will agree that the matchup is very different on hyrule, hell fox is a different character on hyrule.

Edit: And why is there always so much hate on these forums, its nuts

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
@ Sedda Sedda : thanks for the vids I will watch, but I'm sure a lot of people will agree that the matchup is very different on hyrule, hell fox is a different character on hyrule.

Edit: And why is there always so much hate on these forums, its nuts
It doesn't matter. The truth is that you will play more friendlies than tourney matches by a longshot. Hyrule is a stage that a lot of people still play on, so I think it's important to know the matchup on there.

Also, don't worry about the "hate." Very few people here actually "hate" each other lol. You could just say we're very passionate about what we believe xD

yeah and anancitu would have lost that match if orlando didnt miss that upsmash on the last stock
Welp. He missed it and lost. Alancitu also won most of their fox vs kirby matches, so it doesn't matter. Not missing any opportunities is part of being good at the game. Alancitu won

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
anancitu would have lost that match if orlando didnt miss that upsmash on the last stock
if ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

we'd all have flawless online play across the whole wide world

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Well if you wanna be a good fox player, J SNAKE says he always reflects on how he won a match after it is over; he considers how he would have done if the opponent hadn't made technical mistakes or SD's, if his own technical skill was on point, etc.
Develop your technical skill and consistency in training mode, and against lesser opponents. What really matters is how well you can out space your opponent, cause eventually you'll find someone who will have equal or better technical skill than you and then the winner will be whoever is better at the dance.

Alancitu was not outspacing orlando in that match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom