• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Sometimes when I shine cancel in place I feel like I'm doing it to fast because when I do one I'm still in the crouch animation

mixa

Banned via Warnings
As there is no such thing as a fast or slow shine-cancel, a Fox crouching after it just means you held down for too long.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I'm afraid I don't follow. Regardless we've been over this: I'm not nearly cool enough or smart enough to do it myself, and I'm probably just doomed to stay within the bounds of kaillera forever

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
@Karajan

alancitu 4 stocked orlando in one of those videos. was he not outspacing him then?

They're definitely good videos to watch. You'll agree with me once you come back from Peru and start fanboying over players over there

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Shoulda linked that video then

there is a 100% chance you are wrong about that last part. I hate long tournaments more than anything else in the smash community (well, flakey planners is up there too).. When there are 10 players and 2 tv's and we do round robin friendlies and i gotta wait 30 minutes between playing i wont be enjoying it that much.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Somethings I've picked up by playing both ends of this match up:

In the neutral, when Pika is on the ground, I'd only laser, Dair, and grab. Doing Bairs or Fairs is way to easy to avoid as Pika IMO. Dash dance is your friend. But it's also Pika's friend, if Pika is dash dancing, I wouldn't even bother going in for an aerial (maybe a Dair), I'd just hang back and laser.

IMO if you can get Pika tech rolling, you have the stock. When pika is at like 70%, you can do a bunch of tech read > dash attacks until you're in a position to Usmash. It's super good.

Also, you don't have to throw out an attack. Running up to Pika, doing a SH FF and then dashing back to laser or something is pretty effective. Using the running stick hop to perfectly land on the side platforms and using the immediate double c tap to perfectly land on the top platform is super important. Most Pika's anticipate a FF Bair or Dair when you're on a platform, so I wouldn't even attempt that either.

At low damages, throwing Pika and then running up to him and putting your shield up is really good. Pika's tech roll is so bad lol, you can get like 3 or 4 grabs off before pika can really do anything.

Since pika is so hard to combo, comboing is SUPER important in this match up. Mastering the Uair under a side platform > Uair/Uptilt on the side platform> (weak) Fair onto the the top platform > Usmash is hella important. That's like the staple combo in this match up IMO. You know the combo I'm talking about, Solo does it all the time in this video.

I think fox can edge guard pika pretty well, two things that people don't do enough IMO:

1. Dat shine gimp. Pika's recovery is so bad from below. Even if you don't get the gimp, you can rack up some serious damage just by shining Pika and edge guarding him with some back airs or something.

2. DASH ATTACK is way more common but still not used enough. Dash attack is so safe on Pika. Even if Pika doesn't go for the ledge, you'll usually have time to just run up to him and Uair.

3. I don't have a video, but when Pika is recovering from below and has already used his jump, running off the stage and then doing a rising Dair is actually pretty good lol. Dair lasts hella long and usually the Pika will get hit by it a few times before going high.

Uh you're way more smash-knowledgeable than I am, so you probably know all this.. but hope I helped! :p

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Lol yeah I guess you're right! But it still feels like it lasts a while when you're using it to edge guard Pika.

Actually, now that I think about it, if I'm using Fox Dair to edge guard Pika (and if I get hit by Fox Dair while Pika) I'm probably not very good at this game LOL.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Soon Fox mains will need not worry for the Pikachu Bthrow and Tail of Dismay. No longer will the Kirby Toes of Demoralization will not be a concern for our friend Fox McCloud. Led by a counter-cultural movement commonly known as Tactics R 3 Good, or in shorthand TR3G, a new breed of Fox technology will soon emerge from the ashes and rise to the top of the SSB64 competitive metagame.

A new, TR3G approved, publication of Fox's true ability is in the works and will be released in the near future.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
then your mom can suck this 10yo ****

i'll **** your mom dad and dog

i don't even care

fight me fagget i'll burn your house down irl you don't want this
My. My. An Inferior Being indeed. Your just a LITTLE BOY

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Yes you can shine jab every character in this game. Some characters are really hard to do it on flat ground, and you need to pop them up with a high% jab, or a weak hit uair or something.

Luigi, Mario, Samus, and DK in my opinion are the easiest to shine jab
Yochi, Ness, Pikachu are mid tier in difficulty
Kirby, puff, Fox, link and Falcon are the hardest imo

ALL IMO but fairly accurate

Sangoku

Smash Master
Skyfox, kero is just trolling. Next time something like that happens please don't answer and simply report the post.

In addition to what hipstur said you can also walk "inside" the opponent to make it easier.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Yeah my super secret shine jab technique, is run first and do a forward shine(if your jump you used would have been an advancing/approaching jump, you will actually move a tiiiny bit. Same goes for jumping backwards) so you get some good forward momentum, makes things like 2x times easier at least.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hong is a smash 4 mod, therefore you should either notify me, or even better report the post.

That's the last offtopic post of the sort, now more infractions coming.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Warning Received
Yeah my super secret shine jab technique, is run first and do a forward shine(if your jump you used would have been an advancing/approaching jump, you will actually move a tiiiny bit. Same goes for jumping backwards) so you get some good forward momentum, makes things like 2x times easier at least.
nothing is easier than skyfeg's mom

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Skyfox, kero is just trolling. Next time something like that happens please don't answer and simply report the post.

In addition to what hipstur said you can also walk "inside" the opponent to make it easier.
Im not trolling.

BTW who is Fox's VA in Smash 64?

Top Bottom