• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Miryafa

Smash Apprentice
I heard a rumor that when trying to recover on a stage with walls, like Dreamland, you gain more height with Firefox by angling into the wall than you would by going straight up. Can someone confirm/deny this, and explain how it works? Thank you.

Last edited:

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
What are the main things you need to do in neutral against IC's? All I do against them is drill shine, but that gets punishable if they know I'm approaching like that. In essence, what is the most important factor when playing neutral game against IC's?

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
running shine and fullhop shine are really powerful
I like to camp platforms and drop down to shine them when they get used to me not attacking.
you have to be careful tho 'cause IC's upair is kinda good

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
What are the main things you need to do in neutral against IC's? All I do against them is drill shine, but that gets punishable if they know I'm approaching like that. In essence, what is the most important factor when playing neutral game against IC's?
ICs are pretty good when they're sitting still and you try to approach them. They suuuuuuck as soon as they move or do basically anything, so I try to find ways to make them jump/run at me/do anything aggressive - then punish that

Result_1232

Smash Rookie
i uploaded a video I'm the red fox vs good fox player can you guys give me tips on what to do in fox dittos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzN3DfppCI&t=10683 Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I noted in the first game at least that you seemed to do a lot of 45 degree angle Firefox's. Which happens to be the CPU default recover so everyone knows that try and mix that up. Also not sure on this but foxs SHFFL nair I think guaranteed combos into shine also mix up approaches not just nair. Dair shine, grab, running shine. Less full hops

Result_1232

Smash Rookie
I heard a rumor that when trying to recover on a stage with walls, like Dreamland, you gain more height with Firefox by angling into the wall than you would by going straight up. Can someone confirm/deny this, and explain how it works? Thank you.
Just uploaded some matches me and a friend did last week. Can you guys give me some advice on my neutral game? Mostly looking for how I should approach Falco and Marth and what better options I need to take.

In the first game against the falco he seemed to throw out a bunch of unnecessary aerials these can be DD whiff punished with a lot of stuff. Nair, grab, shine etc..

Result_1232

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with recoverys offstage. Every time I'm off stage i double jump side B. What other recoverys are good for when I'm off stage and how should i practice recoverys offstage?
Play the game. Shine stall can work. Immediate side b. Change ur angle

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cViCPbAFY&feature=youtu.be&t=6h8m40s
Can anyone give me tips/advice (in particular up to the PS game where I kind of started playing jank)? I don't watch VODs too much so I'm not super familiar with the meta and just kind of wing everything. I've been trying to develop my fundamental game with Fox more. Here I was trying an experimental aggro style. Some things I think I need to work on is not getting too greedy with spacing, abusing grab more and mixing it in with my options, punish game, and not trying to do too much in neutral and instead starting up huge punishes off hit confirms.

Last edited:

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
So you decide to shield and then get grabbed? If you're shielding know your OOS options, know what beats what. Don't just think okay they're going to hit my shield and I'm going to shield-grab. If you're playing someone good they're going to hit your shield safely and not get shield grabbed, that or grab you knowing that you're trying to shield grab them. So don't shield unless you've got a plan to shine or attack OOS don't just think shield grab thats only the first level.

father

Smash Rookie
I'm the fox player in these vods, are there any basic things that I'm messing up I can improve? I know I need to improve my off the ledge game, coming up with a dair like >50% of the time is silly. Also missing lots of techs off throws. I feel like my tech is pretty crisp and my movement is improving but once I start getting comboed I'm kind of useless, especially against Marth. My Marth edgeguards can use a lot of work too, is there anything in particular on the edgeguard I'm messing up?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/129167247 (Start about 1:30:00 in)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Vista_

Smash Cadet
At low percent versus fox/Falco, how do you combo off of an up throw when they land on a side platform? I feel like it's unreactable.

Hemwick

Fox <3
Platform camp to avoid grabs and bait out unsafe approaches. Try your best to keep nana seperated from popo. Having strong movement out of shine really helps in this matchup.

smashquestions12

Smash Rookie
Me: Fox

Them: Falco

How come whenever my full hop dair hits Falco, I get shined? I am trying to dair and then shine. When I practice solo on 20xx I am not missing my L-cancels. Is full hop dair to shine not guaranteed (excluding SDI/ASDI)? Or am I just constantly missing my L-cancel in this situation in tournaments? I thought the Falco would either just be running or standing and not in the air, but maybe Falco was in the air and that was the problem (in which case, what aerial should I use at low percents vs a Falco in the air from a short hop?)?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
What are some good approaches vs Luigi I'm new to the matchup?
Laser camping is good for building percent. As for approaches, shield stops are useful especially if the luigi plans on stopping your approach with something like wavedash back>dsmash, which you can punish oos.
At low percent versus fox/Falco, how do you combo off of an up throw when they land on a side platform? I feel like it's unreactable.
If they tech the platform, you can full hop>waveland down>regrab. If they miss the tech, wait for a getup and full hop>upair. Full hop>upair also works if they tech but you have to react fast and it isn't reliable imo

Last edited:

Space Cowboy

Smash Rookie
yo

whenever i play against samus, i find myself getting a decent amount of grabs, but uthrow leads into nothing, unless i wanna trade with a nair.

do you think dthrow against samus would be a better option? i'm pretty sure her tech rolls are laggy enough to get usmashed, or punished in someway.

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
yo

whenever i play against samus, i find myself getting a decent amount of grabs, but uthrow leads into nothing, unless i wanna trade with a nair.

do you think dthrow against samus would be a better option? i'm pretty sure her tech rolls are laggy enough to get usmashed, or punished in someway.
Yes downthrow is a good option against samus for a tech chase situation. check out this vid for some match up points.
Reslived goes over fox's throw options a few times, but he definitely overemphasized not using up throw. Both throw options are good, but if youre not getting anything off up throw, mix it up with a down throw. Another point he mentions in the comments: " throwing samus in general just doesnt get fox as much as throwing other chars"

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Is there an optimal way to platform tech chase in the ditto and in the falco matchup at super low % (when they barely fall on the platform)?
It's a 50/50 situation from u-throw. You either go for the tech in place or you wait to react to the other options.

ike¥

Smash Cadet
What percent does fox s up tilt to up air kill peach on fd with good survival di im finding it hard to input the uptilt up air on one controller and di on the other so its hard by myself up throw up air percent would be useful too???

Thanks

Edit: in PAL version please

Last edited:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Me: Fox

Them: Falco

How come whenever my full hop dair hits Falco, I get shined? I am trying to dair and then shine. When I practice solo on 20xx I am not missing my L-cancels. Is full hop dair to shine not guaranteed (excluding SDI/ASDI)? Or am I just constantly missing my L-cancel in this situation in tournaments? I thought the Falco would either just be running or standing and not in the air, but maybe Falco was in the air and that was the problem (in which case, what aerial should I use at low percents vs a Falco in the air from a short hop?)?
If dair isn't comboing into shine, it's likely because he was airborne when you hit. His landing animation cancels the hitstun of your dair, and he can shine you during your own landing recovery. It could also be that you're starting dair so early that it's finishing before you get close to the ground.

Two tips: 1) Do dair later in your jump to ensure you keep drilling till you land. 2) Do what every top fox does and condition with FH Nair. It's a great spacing tool, stops aerial approaches, and can be safe if you do it properly. At low % it is a disruption tool, at high % it knocks down for easy usmash confirms or techchases. When they get aggravated by it they will try to sit under your landing spot and CC it, but then you switch back to drill. Tada, a ghetto mix-up.

As to your last question, if your opponent is airborne at low %s you should be going for nair > utilt / shine / grab etc

yo

I disagree with never uthrowing Samus simply because you can't combo her with uair. Firstly, assuming that everyone will avoid your uair is faulty thinking. Humans aren't perfect, what if you wait for the bomb jump and catch a predictable Samus who's just mashing buttons? Don't give them the benefit of the doubt, try it first to see if you can get any mileage out of it. You might be removing a tool out of your kit just because it's a good idea on paper.

Secondly, having your opponent above you is one of the classically poor positions in Melee. It's heavily disadvantaged for them, and even if you can't get a combo outright, you can shark them and likely get a free hit as they come down. Their movement options are limited to aerial ones, and imo I'd much rather be dthrown as Samus than uthrown, wouldn't you? When fthrow starts knocking down, I go for that almost exclusively because it has the added effect of also pushing them towards the corner, giving them less d.i. options than uthrow does.

tl;dr sometimes you have to think positionally and for long-term control, and not for simply what gets you the next follow-up hit. Samus is strong on the ground, so throw her in the air and **** with her. Dthrow is good situationally, but it's true value IMO is at kill percent. If you've used it rarely, dthrow to usmash kill at high % is a terrifying situation for Samus.

Last edited:

Ambisinister

Smash Rookie
Yes downthrow is a good option against samus for a tech chase situation. check out this vid for some match up points.
Reslived goes over fox's throw options a few times, but he definitely overemphasized not using up throw. Both throw options are good, but if youre not getting anything off up throw, mix it up with a down throw. Another point he mentions in the comments: " throwing samus in general just doesnt get fox as much as throwing other chars"
I think reslived is pretty off the mark in almost everything he analyzes in this video regarding downthrow, considering that samus is hilariously weak while coming down (what's she gonna do, dair?). He neglects to mention the enormous positional advantage you get from throwing samus in the air, which I think is substantial enough to warrant doing it virtually every single time.

Conversely, you get a 16 frame advantage off of dthrow if samus techs in place, and given that you're trying to react with regrab you need to input the grab by frame 9 (maybe frame 11 if you think they'll roll or spotdodge, but remember upB is invuln frame 1). I'm not saying this is strictly impossible, but this is a tighter reaction window than shielding samus' fsmash on reaction (frame 10) which is pretty much impossible (even the players w/ fastest reaction speeds usually can only shield up to 12f moves on reaction)

up > down unless the samus has noticeably weak tech patterns and you wanna go for a read

Ambisinister

Smash Rookie
Has anyone ever messed around with implementing slight DI vs marth upthrows? I know druggedfox mentioned he thinks it's not RTA viable but I tried practicing it for a bit and I think it's reasonable to learn, at least against marths that haven't put huge amounts of time into recognizing specific DI (i.e. probably just m2k)

Here's a video of me trying to mix up DIs against a replay I made to just do upthrow -> turnaround grab. Knowing that it was gonna turnaround grab every time I went back and watched the video and tried to call out "grab" or "miss" and see if I could recognize which ones would require a turnaround. I couldn't do it very well at all but I also suck at marth so someone please keep me accountable for this one.

I think also if you have hybrid gate that this ought to be relatively easy.

thoughts?

Last edited:

bolt.

Smash Ace
Has anyone ever messed around with implementing slight DI vs marth upthrows? I know druggedfox mentioned he thinks it's not RTA viable but I tried practicing it for a bit and I think it's reasonable to learn, at least against marths that haven't put huge amounts of time into recognizing specific DI (i.e. probably just m2k)

Here's a video of me trying to mix up DIs against a replay I made to just do upthrow -> turnaround grab. Knowing that it was gonna turnaround grab every time I went back and watched the video and tried to call out "grab" or "miss" and see if I could recognize which ones would require a turnaround. I couldn't do it very well at all but I also suck at marth so someone please keep me accountable for this one.

thoughts?
What does rta viable mean?
I feel like mixing up no di and slight di behind at low percent is fox's best bet for getting out of the chain grab.

Ambisinister

Smash Rookie
What does rta viable mean?
I feel like mixing up no di and slight di behind at low percent is fox's best bet for getting out of the chain grab.
rta viable = not tas-only

what I'm getting at is that I think you can do "slight-slight DI behind", which looks like slight DI behind ( -> makes marth turnaround) but actually isn't enough (and marth's turnaround grab whiffs and you're out)

Last edited:

Cash Money

Smash Rookie

thoughts?
Played against a pretty good marth today, was trying to implement slight DI like you said at low % regrab stuff. It was working pretty well, his pivot grab game isnt up to snuff

Ambisinister

Smash Rookie
In preparation for KJH's homecoming to smashboards I figured I'd get the ball rolling with some discussion about the "Fox Lifesaver"

Here's a quick demonstration of using shine stalls and saving your doublejump.

Anyone have some cute uses for this? I've mostly been experimenting with using it vs. sheik since I generally have trouble with recovering in that matchup + the window for holding up w/o triggering 20f hitstun jump buffer is so generous with backthrow (it's pretty much "if you hold up before you get thrown you usually miss the window") but it seems pretty broken vs marth and puff.

nugget61

Smash Rookie
I liked your video. One thing I'm not very good at is regrabbing the edge, like mixing up my DJ onto it. In my sets often the edge is a big factor in deciding whether I win or lose. I get punished there a lot, overall I'm not too confident in ways to efficiently get better at the ledge. :(

ike¥

Smash Cadet
Currently i do not have a crt set up and was wondering is it possible to multishine on a hd tv cuz i heard they lag a bit and was wondering if that lag could be too much for fox to be able to multishine

Top Bottom