• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

you are always trying to throw down on alcohol.

Sangria anyone...

just ask noobking.

unless this is a loop hole meaning you don't directly buy it cuz u under 21
Anything non liquor I just steal now
Anything liquor I usually don't pay for cuz I don't actually want to drink it
-Eggz

joeplicate

Smash Master
unknown! i saw that set

you were playing really good for the most part

but you should go that extra distance to make sure nana's dead, ESPECIALLY when you're in the lead. it really makes the difference, and even if you get bair'd for doing an extra shine to kill nana it's well worth it if you live (and arguably even if you die!)

generally you wanna keep your eye on the blue one (which you did really well), but when the opportunity arises definitely go out there and make sure nana's dead

like on dreamland, you wasted a whole lot of opportunities to kill nana, and for only like 1 nair on popo that sent him to the other side of the level where you couldn't edgeguard him

i'll do more later :)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
vs marth is it more a bait the aerial and punish or overwhelm him with running shines and shine aerials???

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
on a stage like battlefield. the platforms are just inside the edges and if you were to fall off them backwards you would grab the ledge.

what he said was empty pivot off a platform and grab the ledge below
janky as ****

. ___ -------- ____ ! <--Pivot and fall
_______________. <---grab ledge
^ground^

I think he meant walk to the edge of the platform and turnaround and fall off in a similar fashion to the "PC Walk Off" He was wondering if the technique had a special name.

unknown522

Some guy
unknown! i saw that set

you were playing really good for the most part

but you should go that extra distance to make sure nana's dead, ESPECIALLY when you're in the lead. it really makes the difference, and even if you get bair'd for doing an extra shine to kill nana it's well worth it if you live (and arguably even if you die!)

generally you wanna keep your eye on the blue one (which you did really well), but when the opportunity arises definitely go out there and make sure nana's dead

like on dreamland, you wasted a whole lot of opportunities to kill nana, and for only like 1 nair on popo that sent him to the other side of the level where you couldn't edgeguard him

i'll do more later :)
yeah, I remember at one point on FoD, where I left nana after I shined her off. Those were some bad choices.

Brookman

Smash Hero
When I play IC's I pretty much just shine kill nana. after that it's simple. That and watch for the quick jab - grab shenanigans.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I was just fighting a IC player last night and i noticed that foxes bair can kill IC at 150% if DI correctly. But shining separates them easily.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
under what circumstances does peach's upthrow->downsmash work and how do i stop it from ever happening?

sometimes i forget they do it and get caught unawares then im like lol

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
pc drop is from a walk, not a pivot
Well, yeah, but don't you technically "pivot" just before the edge? Or is the term "pivoting" only used in reference to dashing?

@T.Webb: Fox vs. Marth is my favorite matchup b/c it is when I play my best, and have my bad habits most severely punished. It depends on the Marth, normally I bait, or, if their less experienced than I am, I just rush in.

Well, yeah, but don't you technically "pivot" just before the edge? Or is the term "pivoting" only used in reference to dashing?

@T.Webb: Fox vs. Marth is my favorite matchup b/c it is when I play my best, and have my bad habits most severely punished. It depends on the Marth, normally I bait, or, if their less experienced than I am, I just rush in.
Its a technical term in reference to doing it from a dash. doing it from a walk is just turning around.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I, too, would like know this. Can you shine/jump out at 0?
pretty sure that it never works. i dont think there's a range where she can dsmash and catch you before you can fall. you should be able to tech away at low % and jump out higher. can't promise it though

JPOBS

Smash Hero
pretty sure that it never works. i dont think there's a range where she can dsmash and catch you before you can fall. you should be able to tech away at low % and jump out higher. can't promise it though
i dunno.

i think it works if you dont DI or very minimally di at 0, unless im just asleep at the wheel sometimes...

PK Webb

Smash Champion
yeah, I remember at one point on FoD, where I left nana after I shined her off. Those were some bad choices.
Unknown since u have I.b. practice how do u deal wit marth

Edit: foxes that use x to jump how do u shorthop outta shine consistently....im having alot of trouble with that.....raynex do u use x?????

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i use X for jumps with fox.

Its just practice and getting your finger speed down. Keep in mind that what determine a short or full hop is not the pressure you press the button with, but only the speed.

Lovage

Smash Hero
on a stage like battlefield. the platforms are just inside the edges and if you were to fall off them backwards you would grab the ledge.

what he said was empty pivot off a platform and grab the ledge below
janky as ****

. ___ -------- ____ ! <--Pivot and fall
_______________. <---grab ledge
^ground^

I think he meant walk to the edge of the platform and turnaround and fall off in a similar fashion to the "PC Walk Off" He was wondering if the technique had a special name.
i don't think you can pivotdrop from a platform and grab the edge on battlefield/dreamland, since you carry no momentum after the pivotdrop, unlike a pc drop where you have a bunch of momentum (depending on the character)

i'll try it tho

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@lovage-maybe so. idk. Ive never tried to do it for obvious reasons(teleport is wayyyy cooler).

I guess I was just answering his question based on theory lol. I didnt even think about it being possible haha.

But maybe if you get that good good normal DI lol.

EWC

Smash Ace
Does anyone know a good way to respond to falco doing and aerial on your shield and spacing so that he is out of grab range? I was thinking about upsmash oos, but I'm not sure if it will reach. Any other ideas?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
wavedash oos is usually good and safe if you know you can't grab them and don't wanna risk whiffing a smash attack.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
under what circumstances does peach's upthrow->downsmash work and how do i stop it from ever happening?

sometimes i forget they do it and get caught unawares then im like lol
I have been told by Ripple that it works at 0%, and there comes a point where you can shine/jump out, although I do not know that %. Truly it doesn't matter because at that point you're just going to get chain thrown, any peach who would still dsmash you is a dumby
If you get uthrow-dsmashed tech the dsmash away from peach...if you don't tech or tech towards her you're getting dsmashed moar
Does anyone know a good way to respond to falco doing and aerial on your shield and spacing so that he is out of grab range? I was thinking about upsmash oos, but I'm not sure if it will reach. Any other ideas?
If falco dairs your shield and shines, you can shine him oos. Once he short hop nairs and begins fading away he's out of punish range. he can shine you if you wd oos towards him. Safest option is to jump and waveland on a platform or wd oos backwards and try to powershield the laser that every falco and their mother follows shield pressure with

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Flick the Y button with the tip(corner) of your thumb. Just do this until you can do it consistently.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
pivot dropping to the ledge is fun

you can only do it off a platform to the ledge on like YS

pretty easy with Fox and Falco, especially to a reverse laser (where you at lovage)

the one character i can't do it with

like at all

****ING MARIO

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Can someone please help me with Fox's SH? Sorry, if this has been asked before but it's nearly impossible to do.
no one can help you with this. you just have to practice. and no it is not nearly impossible to do. i just played smash for about 9 hours today, i probably short hopped with fox a few hundred times this evening alone.

unknown522

Some guy
Unknown since u have I.b. practice how do u deal wit marth

Edit: foxes that use x to jump how do u shorthop outta shine consistently....im having alot of trouble with that.....raynex do u use x?????
I would link you to our most recent matches (from 2 weeks before apex), but they're still not up yet for some reason........

Anyways, you have to grab or drill him as much as possible if they like to stay on the ground. Use other moves only when he's in the air, or at high damage.

THeDarKnesS

Smash Journeyman
pivot dropping to the ledge is fun

you can only do it off a platform to the ledge on like YS

pretty easy with Fox and Falco, especially to a reverse laser (where you at lovage)

the one character i can't do it with

like at all

****ING MARIO
Why do people claim random acts of tech skill are fun? It seems to me a subtle way to brag about some pointless tech you can do.

Is it really that fun to where you go to practice mode and pivot off ledges all day?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Running shine as a approach vs marth falco/fox and falcon.....how useful is it or is it just a good way to get cc grabbed?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Why do people claim random acts of tech skill are fun? It seems to me a subtle way to brag about some pointless tech you can do.

Is it really that fun to where you go to practice mode and pivot off ledges all day?
Honestly, it sounds like you're just bad and have no tech skill.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Honestly, it sounds like you're just bad and have no tech skill.
he brings up a good point, however. the type of tech skill he described has nearly no practical application in competitive smash. it's almost 100% pointless.
whereas being able to wavedash frame perfect and dash dance + wavedash without messing up is infinitely more important.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Running shine as a approach vs marth falco/fox and falcon.....how useful is it or is it just a good way to get cc grabbed?
This has been covered a little bit before but I'd like to get into it more extensively. Shine is one of fox's best or worst approaches. What determines its effectiveness is the player using it.
Benefits:
CC reduces knockback, but not hitstun--you *can* have your shine crouch canceled but it will not break your incoming combo
if you're approaching an opponent near the ledge, a hit shine often leads to a gimp. Think of this scenario:you space a good approach towards a marth who doesn't have room to run away and grab, so he's forced to shield or shffl fair. If he jumps and gets shined, he is in a TERRIBLE position. if he shields, then you still have the advantage as long as you don't **** up and get shield grabbed
whiffed shine approaches are very safe because you can wavedash, jump, usmash, or grab out of it--most of the time when you whiff a shine approach you can wavedash backwards and keep your safety
A lot of times when your opponents try to attack your approach, the shine beats their move because it is active on frame 1
Detriments:
low range
if you're approaching past somebody they can grab you out of your dash

If I left anything out, please add to it.
Sinji said:
I think running shine is reckless.
You are very wrong, sir. Successful shine approaches are the makeup of champions; bad shine approaches are the makeup of either poor play, confusion, or bad decisions.

Top Bottom