• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward teaches Falco

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprneb

Smash Cadet
hi!
I´m a falcoplayer from germany and going to attend my first bigger german tourney soon.
I got almost all advanced technics down, but don´t have many experience on matchups or playing human opponents. recently I recorded some of my matches from a quite small tourney. maybe you (or anyone of the other forwards here ^^) can help me improve my game with some advice.
thx already ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIA2glFZ0Jg (falco vs link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTzemrlvaLo (falcoditto)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qotzi7EbsEs (falco vs shiek)
im no expert or anything, but i think you could use some better edgeguarding tactics?

just waiting for an nme to come up and get caught in your down-smash isnt very effective?

try falco's dair or nair - it should get you better results

but i think you're right - you do have all the techniques down

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
you have the techs down for the most part, but I have a few suggestions:

-- waveshine more instead of just using jc'ed shines (esp. on levels w/o platforms).
-- don't use the phantasm as an attack while on the stage.
--most of the time you'd be better off doing a jc grab instead of dash cancelling into a dmash. it's reasonable to do that to get a KO, but you did it a few times at relatively low damages.
-- be more mindful of how much damage you've dealt; you don't need to combo someone up to 150 to get the ko.
--you got shield grabbed a few times. keep working on the shffl.

good luck.

falcosmassacre01

Smash Journeyman
1) having probs pillaring- i can do it fine when i do the dair after i ff but i want to do the dair at the same time- but i cant seem to l-cancel it? what do i do?

2) having probs shffling uairs against foxes after i shine them- the uair just deals damage but they dont go up. what do i do?
y is zang asking for help ?lol

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
Lol who made fun of forward? His falco's nutz man... saw some doubles of him with taj, they pwned hard. Anyway, I was havin an idea for the middle of my pillar (btw the term i've heard pillar used for is shine -> lcanceled dair -> shine -> lcanceled dair so that the opponent is knocked up and down like a pillar) i was thinkin to change it up to shine, then after the dair lcancel then fsmash? Does that give them time to shield? I suppose I'd accept replies from PC chris and mathos too ^.^

South_Paw

Smash Ace
most likely no... but you CAN get in a f-smash after a shine up until 50%... or 70 if their DI isn't so great.

butters=most awesome sig ever, lolz

i doubt sean will post much for a while... he's kinda... not going to be there, lol

new formula... (butters=sucks)=sucks... get em bryan!

KazeOfTheWind

Smash Rookie
Im hoping you can help me with edgehop double laser (if you dont know what that is, its jumping from the ledge and shooting the laser out twice.Just clarifying since you didn't know what pillaring was at the start of this topic.) Thanks alot Forward ^_^.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
y is zang asking for help ?lol
No matter how good you get you can still ask for critique and help.

That's true about life, someone else may be able to notice or have the answer to something or be able to suggest something to help that you can't come up with.

This is true for life too.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
zanguzen i had the same issue with them getting hit up by the shuffled uairs

i think its cuz your fast falling it

try not fast falling it and i found it worked more often but i was so used to fast falling that it was hard

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I don't think Zang needs the questsion answered anymore, I think that post was like, 9 months ago or something.

xelad1

Smash Ace
how do I do sexy combos that involve platforms like you forward... I thought you were going to make a platform movement guide :*(

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
i would like that too. i love the way forward moves on platforms. very unique style, though you could say its just flashy.

watching pc chris destroy ken on platforms, i realized that its all in mindgames.

forward

Smash Champion
You can start by tech chasing on platforms. Most people just jump up and aerial the opponent when they land on the platform, I prefer to waveland on the platform and tech chase. More options.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Well there's some food for thought, are there specific times to aerial as opposed to tech chase forward?

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Hey Forward, I know you're an uber pro with Falco and stuff, so I tought it would be wise to ask you something, in the hopes of improving my semi-good Falco.
I recently made my own Falco combo video, but I'm not so sure about my weak points, so I was thinking that maybe you could check it out, and tell me what I need to improve. That would mean a lot to me, especially coming from a pro such as yourself.
If anybody else cares, they might check out my video too and tell me what you think.
P.S.: The link to the video is in my sig.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Ah that makes sense... but then again I don't know if I should listen to you since your not a very technical falco :p

Oh and cyberdemon the falco image you have in your sig made me laugh.

opiumfish13

Smash Rookie
Falco Questions.

Good evening all. I had a couple of ?s for Forward/DaShizWhiz/any exprienced Falco player.

1) Mr. ShizWhiz/Forward, how or what buttons do you press to perform the multishine? Do you shine, jump out with X/Y and do it over, or do you use the analog stick? I've been practicing, I can get 2 in a row 40% of the time.

2) I need tips/advice on proper execution of the combos seen in the Bombsoldier vs. Ken matches. I'm having trouble JCancelling the shines to continue the combo. I believe the combo is SHUFFLD Dair -> Shine ->Full Jump ->FF Dair ->Utilt(etc.) My main ? is how do you all JC to continue pillar/above combos? Do you all use the analog stick (Up) or press X/Y?

3) When doing combos from platforms, I remember reading a way to drop from platforms quicker.. I believe it was to do a slightly tilt forward and tap down to cancel the crouching motion? Is that correct? Maybe I'm dropping down wrong but it doesn't seem that much faster? Can someone explain this in more detail?

4) For pillaring or (SHUFFLD Nairs/Dairs + Shine) against shields, I noticed awhile ago the timing is a bit different than when doing it in empty air? What's a good way to practice pillaring by myself? What method do you all use? Forward commented that he shines, and then does a rising aeriel and starts over? What button config. do you use? I know it's more beneficial to Shine, wavedash, shine, attack etc, but I would like to be able to eat the opponent's shield effectively. I keep on missing the L-Cancel, or can't FF fast enough to do the L-Cancel etc....

I mainly wanted to see what hand/button configs other Falco players use to do the multishine, triangle BombS combo thing, pillar. This way I can find a efficient way to practice. Thanks in advance.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
you should just use whatever buttons you feel like using. personally i use x to do most jumps. i think shiz uses y for multishining. if youre doing something wrong its because you lack practice, not because of your buttons. theres no easy way out.

for pillaring my favorite way to practice is to set damage ratio to 0.5, set handicap on. then set a bowsr to level 9 handicap and set you to level 1. its fun.

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
i hate answering essay questions....... keep it simple please :)
Lol, I'll the guy out later, that is a pretty long question :chuckle:, currently I'm sick and staying home from school and stuff so I'm not fully up to it right now. Just had time to look at what Forward said, lol.

This is Shiz talking on bros name, I can't log out of his thing for some reason.

xelad1

Smash Ace
Good evening all. I had a couple of ?s for Forward/DaShizWhiz/any exprienced Falco player.

1) Mr. ShizWhiz/Forward, how or what buttons do you press to perform the multishine? Do you shine, jump out with X/Y and do it over, or do you use the analog stick? I've been practicing, I can get 2 in a row 40% of the time.

2) I need tips/advice on proper execution of the combos seen in the Bombsoldier vs. Ken matches. I'm having trouble JCancelling the shines to continue the combo. I believe the combo is SHUFFLD Dair -> Shine ->Full Jump ->FF Dair ->Utilt(etc.) My main ? is how do you all JC to continue pillar/above combos? Do you all use the analog stick (Up) or press X/Y?

3) When doing combos from platforms, I remember reading a way to drop from platforms quicker.. I believe it was to do a slightly tilt forward and tap down to cancel the crouching motion? Is that correct? Maybe I'm dropping down wrong but it doesn't seem that much faster? Can someone explain this in more detail?

4) For pillaring or (SHUFFLD Nairs/Dairs + Shine) against shields, I noticed awhile ago the timing is a bit different than when doing it in empty air? What's a good way to practice pillaring by myself? What method do you all use? Forward commented that he shines, and then does a rising aeriel and starts over? What button config. do you use? I know it's more beneficial to Shine, wavedash, shine, attack etc, but I would like to be able to eat the opponent's shield effectively. I keep on missing the L-Cancel, or can't FF fast enough to do the L-Cancel etc....

I mainly wanted to see what hand/button configs other Falco players use to do the multishine, triangle BombS combo thing, pillar. This way I can find a efficient way to practice. Thanks in advance.
Firstly these are all general problems/questions that people have had at one point or another so maybe you would be better off just posting your own topic than necessarily asking forward/shiz/random falco player since more people will see it (thats for future reference). Anyway here are your answers.

1. X to B is the easiest method for this since the movement is pretty direct. Y to B is another way of doing it which is the method I use since I do all my aerials SHL etc with Y, I can easily get 2-3 JC shines in a row with Y after that it becomes more difficult. I don't really feel like getting comfortable with the X button enough to do tons of JC shines and I only really need 2 in order to help wih pillaring. As for the analog stick... you could try it out but somehow I doub't it would be easier than holding down and sliding from X or Y to B.

2. Most of the time for this combo I use my normal jumping button which is X since my thumb is fast enough to get there. The analog stick is a viable option which I do use on occassion for certain things. If I want to intercept someone midair with a shine and follow up very fast with an aerial I tend to use the analog stick to jump out, I also use the analog stick to Double edge hop laser i think the acronym is LHDL.

3. The third point I believe stems from a question that I asked in this thread and I'm not exactly too sure about it myself so you may want to isolate that question and ask it so forward will answer it again since he doesn't like super long questions.

4. Well if you want to practice pillaring against a shield the best way to get a feel for this by yourself is to enter into a match and have player 2 be a human opponent (you need 2 controllers) and put the invincibility stars on very high. Make the second player get an invincibility star, invincibility simulates someone having a shield up... you then commence to practicing pillars shffls JC shines whatever on the invincible opponent. Its kind of a headache since the stars duration is limited and there will be a lot of boxes around but its the best way to practice by yourself... you could also hold the shield button on the other controller with your toe or something but this will take more time to set up than the way that involves stars...

Hope all this helped.

xelad1

Smash Ace
So forward can you go over again exactly how to drop from platforms in the "fast way" (has something to do with tilting your controller) I don't exactly understand it myself and neither does the "paragraph poster".

xelad1

Smash Ace
I think I heard about isai doing it (I don't know if he discovered it but I recall Ken at one point saying that Isai taught him about it and at that point in time it was a "secret"). Is this as soon as you hit the platform you hit the joystick forward and then push down (kind of like a quarter circle or what?).

opiumfish13

Smash Rookie
I think it's for when your just standing on the platforms. "...just as you land..." means your already falling down in the air. If that's the case, you can just tap down and you fall through. I was looking at the matches, and I suppose it's a tad bit faster than just pressing down? Someone with frame info should confirm it.... Although I really don't see that much of a difference.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
it is much faster--it cancels the landing lag. try it out, the you can see the difference. make sure you tilt the joystick as opposed to smashing it, or you'll just run off of the platform.

xelad1

Smash Ace
yeah I'll have to try that out, I have wavelanding etc worked into my game but I could never really figure out how to fluidly move around platforms like the pros do... any noob can play a decent falco on FD but I find cramped platform stages like Battlefield challenging for me.

Butters000=toogood

Smash Rookie
oh come on battlefeild is a great falco stage and platforms are too good

in the same way i am too good

any way the reason platform levels are soooooo good is that it helps the shine to spike combos

shine below the platform then jump and spike them onto the platform but Fast fall to beat your enemy there. then you can eather shine again or up tilt. i enjoy up tilts cuz they can be like a mini shine then another spike or bair

h.e.x

Smash Rookie
How exactly is it possible to SHdair someone straight out of a shine? I think I've seen PC Chris do it a few times, but it seems like when you shine someone, they're too far away from you for a JC'd shine to Dair.

xelad1

Smash Ace
oh come on battlefeild is a great falco stage and platforms are too good

in the same way i am too good

any way the reason platform levels are soooooo good is that it helps the shine to spike combos

shine below the platform then jump and spike them onto the platform but Fast fall to beat your enemy there. then you can eather shine again or up tilt. i enjoy up tilts cuz they can be like a mini shine then another spike or bair
My issues are not so much with combos I know how devastating falco can be its more with mobility and how to get around platforms and away from danger and down from platforms quickly.

Butters000=toogood

Smash Rookie
My issues are not so much with combos I know how devastating falco can be its more with mobility and how to get around platforms and away from danger and down from platforms quickly.
that should be a strong part of falcos game. the reason that falco dosn't feel crampt on small levels is because his speed all comes up and down not side to side like captan or fox

platform dashing can be used to increace mobility just dont miss one and air doage

D

Deleted member

of course evasion is important on a character that gets gimped so badly.

I think the biggest aspect to falco's game is confidence. If you don't have confidence as falco, you do not win with falco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom