• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For the Love of Books!: Looking for a good read?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i just finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

my favorite character was definitely May Kasahara

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
I didn't think it was nearly as depressing as Blood Meridian. At the end I was waiting for the man and the boy to die horrible deaths but they didn't. One thing though, why, when you can choose any kinda non-motor vehicle you want, would you pick a shopping cart? They're hella unreliable and definitely not made for survivalist kinda travel. Overall a good story though. Still haven't seen the movie.

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
If anyone hasn't been reading the works of Kurt Vonnegut, I suggest they give it a go and start off withThe Sirens of Titan, you really won't regret it, especially if you're a fan of humor and/or sci-fi.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
If anyone likes a lot of adventure, some humor, and/or dragons, I'd recommend reading Eragon and/or Dragon Rider.

If anyone likes science fiction, suspense, and a lot of philosophy, I would highly recommend Sphere (by Michael Crichton). It is by far one of the best books I've ever read and the last few chapters are especially great. Honestly I would recommend it to anyone, really. It's a great read.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I'm 2/3rds of the way through The Satanic Verses by Sir Salman Rushdie...

One of the least entertaining books I've ever read.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Tutor just reminded me of a book I loved, The Messenger by Marcus Zusak, anything by him is pretty good.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
If anyone hasn't been reading the works of Kurt Vonnegut, I suggest they give it a go and start off withThe Sirens of Titan, you really won't regret it, especially if you're a fan of humor and/or sci-fi.
Anyone who likes The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would probably like The Sirens of Titan.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
I'm reading "The Catcher in the Rye" right now. The book is well written, but I find its constant "flashbacks" kind of annoying. I also have trouble liking the main character, because he seems like a whiny little *****, always complaining how "phony" everything seems. Anybody have other opinions on the book?

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it buy at the moment I'm reading THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy by Suzzane Collins... The first book, "The Hunger Games," was really good and now I'm on book 2 "Catching Fire"... If u like Harry Potter, I think you will like these book...

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I'm making my through The complete works of O. Henry (three volumes)
its been very enjoyable so far.

Also rereading the Temeraire series! GO READ THIS SERIES!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So I finally got around to reading 1984 thanks to a snazzy new library that was built nearby. I saw Tmw mention The Road so I checked that out too. I really enjoyed it but it seemed a liitle short, I was able to read it from start to finish in three and a half hours.

Moby **** wasn't available so I'll get that next time. I'll probably get The Sirens as well.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I have it sitting on my shelf; read A Wild Sheep Chase and loved it, but have a lot of other books I need to get through first :(

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Just finished Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake.

Most intriguing and beautiful work I've ever read.

My copy is just shy of 400 and with relatively small print, but man, I wish it was longer. (it's 1 of 3 in a series that was meant for 7 but ended by Peake's untimely death)

Anybody else know of it?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just finished Slaughterhouse Five yesterday. One of the weirdest and coolest books I've ever read. I couldn't say I enjoyed the whole thing, but I'm learning not to measure a book by how much I enjoy it, but rather by how much it challenges my mind. My favorite moment was when he was describing the film of WW2 being watched in reverse immediately before he first encountered the Tralfamadorians. It blew my mind.

If anyone likes science fiction, suspense, and a lot of philosophy, I would highly recommend Sphere (by Michael Crichton). It is by far one of the best books I've ever read and the last few chapters are especially great. Honestly I would recommend it to anyone, really. It's a great read.
Sphere was indeed one of Crichton's best. I've read all but 2 of his books. It's a shame we lost him so young.

I'm reading "The Catcher in the Rye" right now. The book is well written, but I find its constant "flashbacks" kind of annoying. I also have trouble liking the main character, because he seems like a whiny little *****, always complaining how "phony" everything seems. Anybody have other opinions on the book?
Catcher is special. You are not supposed to like Holden. But that doesn't mean you aren't supposed to connect with him. It's such a beautiful book, I think.
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it buy at the moment I'm reading THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy by Suzzane Collins... The first book, "The Hunger Games," was really good and now I'm on book 2 "Catching Fire"... If u like Harry Potter, I think you will like these book...
The Hunger Games was fun. I haven't picked up the 2nd book yet. It was a little poorly written, to be fair, but it's kind of a lowest common denominator kind of book in terms of prose, story elements and characters. Don't anyone expect terribly deep writing here, or anything esoteric. But for what it is (pulp sci-fi/fantasy without dragons/swords/spaceships) it does the trick.
So I finally got around to reading 1984 thanks to a snazzy new library that was built nearby. I saw Tmw mention The Road so I checked that out too. I really enjoyed it but it seemed a liitle short, I was able to read it from start to finish in three and a half hours.
1984 is genius. That is all.
The Road (along with the rest of Cormac's work) is on my short list right now. I'll get to it this year for sure.

I just started Monster by A. Lee Martinez. If you are into comic fantasy (I AM!!!), you'll appreciate this one for sure. I'm only maybe 40% in, but I just started last night. I think I found a new author to add my list of Piers Anthony and Terry Pratchett. Comic fantasy just does something special to me. I think since Piers Anthony was my first fantasy author that I loved as a youngster, I've left a special coat-hook in my heart to hang the genre of comic fantasy.

If you aren't familiar with Piers Anthony's work, can I suggest that you start with the apprentice adept series rather than jumping into the infinitely more popular Xanth series? Apprentice Adept is one of my favorite fantasy series ever, even if the characters are a little unbelievable. Every male is clever and sexually appealing. Every female is horny and busty. Every child is FAR too adult to make sense. The magic system is over the top. The science is cliche. But it all comes together in a way that just WORKS.

Terry Pratchett is a genius. I actually started with Going Postal before going back to read The Color of Magic, Guards Guards, and a few others. Making Money was also pretty good.

Next on my list after finishing Monster is going to be The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Anyone read it?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Sphere was indeed one of Crichton's best. I've read all but 2 of his books. It's a shame we lost him so young.
It definitely was. I even have two copies, the newer one I bought at a store just so I could have a newer copy because the one I had was so old (my grandparents had this book, and I managed to spot it on their bookshelf randomly and decide to read it). I'm so glad I read that book. I just wish Crichton could be alive to write more.
Have you heard of his posthumous novel coming out this year? The title's currently unreleased, but it will be a techno-thriller.

Edit: Have you read Travels? I've been considering reading that one.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Dastrn, I haven't read The Name of the Wind, but some of my coworkers claim it's really good.

And I looked for those Gormenghast books at work tonight, and they're expensive. Maybe on payday though.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I really liked this book i had to read for school called The Endless Steppe IDK why i liked it but i did lol.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's my list of books I've read or reread in the last year:

Dune
A Game of Thrones
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin
A Man of My Words by Richard Lederer
Naked Economics by Wheaton
Twilight Saga (durdurdur)
The Hunger Games
Sex God by Rob Bell
Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne
Making Money By Terry Pratchett
The Color of Magic by Pratchett
Guards Guards by Pratchett
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
Ender's Game
The Prestige by Christopher Priest (awesome!)
Boomsday by Christopher Buckley
Animal Farm
Lord of the Flies
Fahrenheit 451
Starship Troopers
Slaughterhouse Five

I know that's not all of them. I checked out a bunch of library books and read them all really fast at one point, so I'm forgetting a few.

Most of these were good. Some were great. Some were not that good, but I can appreciate what they were trying to do. A few of them I've read several times already, and these were just re-reads (ender's game, lord of the flies, dune...)

My list of books for the next year are:
Monster by A. Lee Martinez (halfway through right now)
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
Thud by Pratchett
Silmarillion
Crime and Punishment
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Moon is a harsh Mistress
Foundation
The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
No Country for Old Men by Mccarthy
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Pride and Prejudice
Clockwork Orange
Homeland by R.A. Salvatore
The Yiddish Policemen's Union
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
The Host by Stephanie Meyer
A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Duma Key by Stephen King

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
oh I've actually read that.

but it was one of those books I had to read for school which always ruins the experience a little bit.

but I remember it being pretty good, so go for it.

i miss reading, the interwebz have consumed me

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Hate to do this but "Battle Royale is a must-read". There's just something intoxicating about the narration.

Currently reading Fear Itself by Michael Reeves. Might recommend Dead White and Inferno once I get through this one.

Try any of Carlin's books. They're the only books in the comedy category that doesn't get lame halfway through (i.e. I Am America (So Can You))
-Brain Droppings
-When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
-Napalm & Silly Putty

jugfingers

Smash Champion
the sirens of titan -Kurt Vonnegut Jr

actually pretty much anything by Vonnegut

Ham on Rye-Charles Bukowski

..also anything by Bukowski

Food of the Gods-Terence Mckenna

also anything by Mckenna.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Monster by A. Lee Martinez was good. I'm going to read his entire works this year, I think.
I'm halfway through Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian right now. They did a film version with Russell Crowe; I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. So far the book is super slow, but I'm finding myself entranced anyways. I don't know why I suddenly have the patience for it, since I'm ADD when it comes to books. But I'm enjoying every page of it.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I just finished Choke-Chuck Palahniuk.
I'm on Rant now.

Chuck Palahniuk <3
<3 Chuck P. Rant was definitely not one of my favourites. But if you're into his books, I recommend Lullaby and Invisible Monsters.

For any of you graphic novel or Marvel enthusiasts, if you haven't read Civil War yet, do it. I just finished reading it about a minute ago, and I was blown away. Really top-notch.

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
<3 Chuck P. Rant was definitely not one of my favourites. But if you're into his books, I recommend Lullaby and Invisible Monsters.

For any of you graphic novel or Marvel enthusiasts, if you haven't read Civil War yet, do it. I just finished reading it about a minute ago, and I was blown away. Really top-notch.
I've read Survivor, Lullaby, Diary, Fight Club, Choke, and I'm on Snuff and Rant, finished half of Haunted but couldn't get into it.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I've read Survivor, Lullaby, Diary, Fight Club, Choke, and I'm on Snuff and Rant, finished half of Haunted but couldn't get into it.
I really enjoy his books, but neither Rant nor Snuff did it for me. They seemed to miss the mark of essential Palahniuk. :ohwell:

Let me know what you think of them when you're finished.

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
I really enjoy his books, but neither Rant nor Snuff did it for me. They seemed to miss the mark of essential Palahniuk. :ohwell:

Let me know what you think of them when you're finished.
I'm getting tired of Palahniuk having more than one narrator.
I like how Fight Club/Choke/Survivor, his earlier stuff, just focus on one character's perspective.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
To those who have read 'Of Mice and Men',

Did anyone else find this book a little too short? I feel like there was little character development where there was certainly opportunity for far more, considering (at least this is how I feel) the potential depth..

It was clearly that short for a purpose, I guess I was just left wanting a little more by the time I got to the end (which didn't take long at all)

Virgilijus

BRoomer
it was short, but I felt it was of adequate length. Steinbeck didn't want to create a fully developed world with every detail fleshed out and every character dissected from front to back (that's why he wrote East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath).

It was a tragedy, no doubt. But once he established that and the lengths and sadness of their friendship, the purpose of the novella was finished and it didn't need to go on. Though I do understand your wanting more :)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
it was short, but I felt it was of adequate length. Steinbeck didn't want to create a fully developed world with every detail fleshed out and every character dissected from front to back (that's why he wrote East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath).

It was a tragedy, no doubt. But once he established that and the lengths and sadness of their friendship, the purpose of the novella was finished and it didn't need to go on. Though I do understand your wanting more :)
Yeah, so I picked it up again today and just looked at the cover for a while, thought over it.. And I realised how pleasant it was to have a book that where I wasn't tempted to skip over 4 page descriptions of scenery. So I guess I kinda appreciate it's succinctness now.

On another note, read Animal Farm again today. Forgot how much I loved it.

Edit: No one here lieks bookz. Just ordered Lolita and 1984 today..

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
On another note, read Animal Farm again today. Forgot how much I loved it.

Edit: No one here lieks bookz. Just ordered Lolita and 1984 today..
I loved Animal Farm and liked 1984 too, but 1984 almost seemed like a longer version of Animal Farm.

I'm reading all the tales and novels of Sherlock Holmes right now :bee:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I really enjoy 1984, moreso than Animal Farm, truthfully. It's strange though, because the first time I read it, I really disliked it. But I was compelled to read it again. And again. And now I love it.

Goldie, I love Sherlock Holmes. Hound of the Baskervilles is one of my favourite books. :bee:

I'm still stuck in my graphic novel phase, but I'm loving it. I just finished all the Fables series that have been released so far, and currently I'm reading Marvel 1602 at the moment. It's so good.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I loved Animal Farm and liked 1984 too, but 1984 almost seemed like a longer version of Animal Farm.

I'm reading all the tales and novels of Sherlock Holmes right now :bee:
Currently reading Sign of the Four for the first time.. Holmes is sooo good. Although I haven't had as much enthusiasm for this in comparison to a Study in Scarlet and the short stories in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I really enjoy 1984, moreso than Animal Farm, truthfully. It's strange though, because the first time I read it, I really disliked it. But I was compelled to read it again. And again. And now I love it.

Goldie, I love Sherlock Holmes. Hound of the Baskervilles is one of my favourite books. :bee:

I'm still stuck in my graphic novel phase, but I'm loving it. I just finished all the Fables series that have been released so far, and currently I'm reading Marvel 1602 at the moment. It's so good.
Is the Fable graphic novel based on the game out of curiosity?

Top Bottom