• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory: Most annoying character?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4villager:- People think Link is the worst when it comes to camping but this guy just takes the entire can of spam (F-smash spam off the ledge is the dumbest thing in the world I swear).

D

Deleted member

:4villager:- People think Link is the worst when it comes to camping but this guy just takes the entire can of spam (F-smash spam off the ledge is the dumbest thing in the world I swear).
It's also absolutely anemic considering that since I play Falco, I can't do jack about the bowling ball spam off the ledge because it screws over both of my recovery options.

Furret24

Smash Master
Any character with the ability to spam or a stupidly powerful move that is usually punishable really. Combine them with online's absurd lag, and you get a really frustrating time.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Link is pretty annoying, I've found. He sits in one place spamming, only occasionally stopping to go for either a grab with his chain or a dash attack. If you try to attack him from the air, it's either a roll -> f-smash, grab out of shield, or he swats at you with the amazing hitboxes on his utilt and up smash. None of my mains/secondaries have any good way of dealing with this garbage that I've found, though since I am still a beginner at this game I'm probably playing the match-ups incorrectly. Doesn't help that the Links win and then disappear after one match, giving me very little opportunity to learn how to play against this character.

If anyone has advice on how to play the Link MUs with the following characters, that'd be very helpful: Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Yoshi - Maybe it's just lack of matchup knowledge, but something that never happened against any character since I've gotten better: falling for the "dropping" attacks. I don't fall for Falcon Kicks, Wizard Foots, Bowser Bombs, Tink's D-Air, G&W's D-Air. I always get caught on Yoshi Bomb abusage, mainly when it tries to do a punish OoS. It it predictable, but I don't have enough time to dodge this thing. The Smash Attacks too.
Olimar: Once in a eternity, I get bodied so hard by one I have no idea on how to deal with one, even when it just spams.

Furret24

Smash Master
Link is pretty annoying, I've found. He sits in one place spamming, only occasionally stopping to go for either a grab with his chain or a dash attack. If you try to attack him from the air, it's either a roll -> f-smash, grab out of shield, or he swats at you with the amazing hitboxes on his utilt and up smash. None of my mains/secondaries have any good way of dealing with this garbage that I've found, though since I am still a beginner at this game I'm probably playing the match-ups incorrectly. Doesn't help that the Links win and then disappear after one match, giving me very little opportunity to learn how to play against this character.

If anyone has advice on how to play the Link MUs with the following characters, that'd be very helpful: Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch.
I use G&W against Link. It's fairly to juggle and gimp him. Being able to Duck under arrows, bucket bombs, and occasionally use boomerang to your advantage helps too.

Beware though, his smashes kill us mad early (usmash is cancer to us) and his range outclasses ours by a long shot.

Tl;dr: Go for juggles and gimp.

Hope this helps.

Minjinx

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4382-2470-9749

Small tips for R.O.B.

R.O.B.'s side B can send a projectile back at the opponent while going towards Link if he's about to use a projectile use the side B right as it's about to hit you. R.O.B.'s gyros (His down B move) can be very good, you can jump and use the gyro if Link is camping in one spot projectile spaming the more the gyro is charged the stronger it is. Try to grab Link, use down trow and then Up- air. Dodging Link's chain is essential because it leaves him wide open for you use time it takes for him to put his chain away to grab him.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice, guys! Yesterday evening, I somehow not only beat a spammy FG Link with Donkey Kong - I actually two-stocked him! :eek: I can't even believe I managed that. I made sure to save the replay of the match, too, so that I can study it in the future (well, until the next patch anyway) and try to learn what exactly I did right to win so well.

I can remember doing three things that helped me to win. #1, starting to use spot dodging more when in close quarters, rather than impatiently going for a throw/counterattack or just shielding. I can seem to remember managing to avoid several attacks/throw attempts this way - even the last hit of Link's jab combo. #2, timing the shield on landing correctly when I see a full-stage charged arrow about to be released just as I hit the ground. Before, I'd be impatient and press the shield button too soon, resulting in me doing an air dodge as I landed, which is super unsafe in this game (unlike in Brawl). It was kind of a bad habit brought over from Brawl that I still have yet to fully unlearn, but I became well more aware and conscious of this during this match somehow. #3, purposely allowing Link to spam his arrows, bombs, and boomerangs from full-stage so that they'd go stale and no longer do as much damage and knockback. I think that's a no-brainer for most people, but I've only recently started using this strategy against spammy FG players who want to exploit DK's lack of projectiles/counters/reflect moves. It works pretty well.

I feel happy not only for my win, but also because it feels like I'm gradually starting to become a better player. Like maybe one of these days, I won't lose left and right to all the Links, space critters, and animu characters that come in, play one close match with me, and then run immediately afterwards. That'd really be nice, if possible.

Anyway, I'm long overdue to reply to these answers I've gotten...
I use G&W against Link. It's fairly to juggle and gimp him. Being able to Duck under arrows, bucket bombs, and occasionally use boomerang to your advantage helps too.

Beware though, his smashes kill us mad early (usmash is cancer to us) and his range outclasses ours by a long shot.

Tl;dr: Go for juggles and gimp.

Hope this helps.
Bucket works on bombs?! Wow, I had no idea! Is this a buff from Brawl, or did I just not ever know this was possible? *watches video on what bucket can absorb* Wow, it even absorbs Lucas PK Fire now, too! Thank goodness!

I've considered purposely allowing the boomerangs to pull me in, including in today's match, but I always get chicken and jump out of them. Maybe I'll experiment someday soon to see what could be done with that. Oh, and low profile ducking under arrows is plain good advice, thanks. :)

Small tips for R.O.B.

R.O.B.'s side B can send a projectile back at the opponent while going towards Link if he's about to use a projectile use the side B right as it's about to hit you. R.O.B.'s gyros (His down B move) can be very good, you can jump and use the gyro if Link is camping in one spot projectile spaming the more the gyro is charged the stronger it is. Try to grab Link, use down trow and then Up- air. Dodging Link's chain is essential because it leaves him wide open for you use time it takes for him to put his chain away to grab him.
Yeah, I know that side B is a reflector, but it has some startup/ending lag that makes it not super easy to use this way I think. Still need to get used to its changes from Brawl too. Launching gyro from the air is a great idea; I'll have to try that one. And yeah, spot dodging the chain when I know is coming will be good; just gotta keep utilizing it more into my game. Thanks for the advice. :)

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I wouldn't recommend bucketing PK Fire or most things unless you know you can get away with it. Bucket has seven years of endlag, which makes it very punishable.

I still question why PSI Magnet was buffed in endlag, yet bucket wasn't.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
:4peach: I swear she always gets a D-air or a F-air off on me whenever there are good Peaches, and trying to approach is hard for me anyways.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
:4link:, by far.
Spamming the entire match, and running away once you get close enough to punish. There are some good Links out there, but the vast majority of them are pure spammers.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman

Hey Dog,

Just be patient. Most mistakes arise from chasing after Link angrily, which is what he wants.
Several methods:
*Sit and do nothing and power shield and wait for him to get bored and approach (my favorite LOL)
* Stay close, but far enough range of his attacks and wait for him to do something. This ensures that he doesn't have enough time to pull a projectile and, if he rolls, then you can easily punish.
* Get him off stage. His up-special has some sort of armor, I'm not sure, but if you have even a small projectile to mess up his recovery, use it! He doesn't have the best recovery.
*Expect matches to time out if you both plan on camping each other out

Some situational things you can do:
*If you jump and attack him from the air, and you notice he rolls away and punishes you, learn that habit and just simply do a tomahawk (jumping -> fast falling) and then grab or attack. That's what I do when I notice people rolling too much when I'm in the air. I simply jump and fast fall and, as they roll away, grab. Sometimes if your character is really mobile and fast in the air, just jump, wait for the roll, fast fall (maybe) and attack. This won't be so obvious if you're fighting a good player, but the basic fundamental still applies.

*For his dash attack, always expect that. It can kill you at a ridiculous % and will be using it to punish your landings most likely (in my experience that's what FG Links do). It's very telegraphed, so you can power shield it and punish accordingly.

*Also learn to pivot grab. When they keep rolling and use it as their main movement option, I just run up and grab accordingly.

In the events that you face a good Link, and you cannot handle the projectiles, then you are screwed. Power shield, read, and stay close to him unless you plan on camping him out too. Don't give him time to pull out projectiles and always look out for habits!

I main Peach. She is sluggish and doesn't have the best speed in the game, but Link is not so bad because he can easily be combo'd and gimped due to his recovery. You don't want to use a reflector up close because it's slow and can easily be punished. If Link uses a projectile up close and you reflect, then he can punish you severely.

:4peach: I swear she always gets a D-air or a F-air off on me whenever there are good Peaches, and trying to approach is hard for me anyways.
Ha! That's Peach for you. I will be d-airing most of the match. It is just too safe not to use!

As a Peach main, Villager and Megaman are the two I can't deal with. They make me want to cry. And if I do try to play patient, I always expect it to reach time.
Two MUs I do not like playing.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Pacman. The only other character besides ice climbers from previous games, to make me want to toss my controller/system across the room in pure rage. Facing a pacman player quite literally gets me so frustrated that I get a headache from facing them

a dog

Smash Cadet
Why is it that so many people on FG think that Ganondorf is the ultimate counter-pick to Duck Hunt? Do they really think that their braindead playstyle, coupled with Ganondorf's limited mobility, would really work well against a character who can cover both grounded and aerial approaches? Their game plans are just too dumb to actually work 9 times out of 10.

Come to think of it, I can only remember one occasion that I've met a skilled Ganondorf online - someone who really blew me away with just how on-point and perfectly timed they were. Everyone else just follows the flowchart and broadcasts their flame choke, aerial flame kick, and dair gimp attempts from a mile away.

Last edited:

ihatesm4shFG

Smash Rookie
When playing online, 1v1, which character do you just cringe when playing against? My main is ZSS, and I almost feel bad when using my blaster too much. For me, Little Mac or Duck Hunt Dog might take the cake, with Mario *cringe* and his fireballs in a close 2nd. Yours?

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
Pre-nerf Bayonetta was the bane of my existence. I would just get endlessly combo'ed over and over again.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
For some reason, i rarely seem to get another actually decent player in for glory. Its always a player that just plays in the stupidest way that you cant do much about or are just bad.:4marth: that only shorthop and air attack, any:4mario:, :4corrinf: players are usually pretty set in their ways, generic :4fox: shows off wavedahing and crap at the beginning, :4wario: that mainly use the D-air to approach, any character that spams projectiles, i dont have trouble with links usually bc i play against a link main quite often. i dont see :rosalina: like ever. For me the most annoying, are the ones i see everyone play. As time goes on these specific characters change but its just not fun. Always:4mario:, :4shulk: tht only approach using N-air and use B-air alot, Lately :4cloud2: has bothered me alot. He wasn't as much of a problem when he first came out. Bad :4sheik: players. :4ganondorf: players that decide to use side b 4 times and try to predict which way you go.:4diddy: that spam the D-throw U-air combo. Oh all :4pacman: players. :4jigglypuff: players. but for me the most annoying has got to be :4lucas:. If its not pk fire spam its D-air and jab spam, if not that its either pk freeze or Down-b that never hit, and if none of the above its the guys who always go off stage multiple times and do double pk thunder recover to try to get you with that.

PikaXFreak

Smash Rookie
:4pikachu:. All the thunderjolts and U-tilts... (I main :4falcon: and :4ganondorf:, so there's not much I can do).

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
I get a little miffed when I'm having a blast playing FFA
until someone kills the fun with :GCCR::4littlemac:

As for 1v1's, It makes me sad when i fight someone using an uncommon character like i dunno :4palutena:and the match was close or I win. Then they switch to :4cloud: and just mash buttons cause he can get away with that.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Any people that work at the bakery. The most annoying for me are :4littlemac:, :4tlink:, :4duckhunt:, :rosalina:.Especially when there is lag. I've fought so many of them
This is how you beat a For Glory Mac:

Last edited:

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
Any people that work at the bakery. The most annoying for me are :4littlemac:, :4tlink:, :4duckhunt:, :rosalina:.Especially when there is lag. I've fought so many of them
This is how you beat a For Glory Mac:
Why do people like this get online?

Is it fun trying to troll and failing miserably.

I don't have a problem with :4littlemac:1v1,but in a free for all smashing :GCCR: appears to be the optimal strategy.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Why do people like this get online?

Is it fun trying to troll and failing miserably.

I don't have a problem with :4littlemac:1v1,but in a free for all smashing :GCCR: appears to be the optimal strategy.
Some people like to troll. But you have to realize that not every single person you face on For Glory is gonna be a competitive player. So I go on the For Glory knowing that there is that chance I'll fight someone who is just playing for fun and not being an aspiring competitive player. Smash always has a large demographic of casual players, and there's nothing wrong with playing only casually.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Mario and Fox. Highly campy, freshly brewed with all the teabags in the world, and near impossible to punish in the lag.

Xethswey

Smash Rookie
Mario and Fox. Highly campy, freshly brewed with all the teabags in the world, and near impossible to punish in the lag.

Lol aw yeah dude, I understand Mario being annoying. That Suckers UpSmash and Hitstun is hard to punish in lag. Then you got that Dreaded easy uptilt combo. Although Fox... Not really too much of an issue.. He's light so just be sure to get him with a good smash atk hit, and you can easily punish him once you throw him off stage broski. But that could just be easy for me since I play Fox, so idk, man. Everyone has their challenges.

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
It doesn't matter what character they play, any guy who only grabs is the most annoying **** for me.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
I've been finding a lot of try-hard Ryu on for glory, its really annoying... but also fun to demolish them :reverse:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
:4mario: : Geez, I know Mario's great in this game and all, but the Mario players on FG could do more than what a flowchart says. I also hate his Smash Attacks. There's nothing more insulting to me than fighting my way through an entire match, evening back the game when they had the lead, only to die by an U-Smash. I've wanted to throw my controller so many times. Good thing I calm down before doing that.

:4falco: : Reflector spam over and over again. Look, I get it. Falco's not very good in this game, but that doesn't mean you can be lazy and just Reflector spam all day. It makes fighting Falco pretty obnoxious.

:4falcon: : What else is there to say? No, really? What else can I say that hasn't been said already?

Gamehowitzer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamehowitzer
3DS FC
5327-1431-1627
:4falcon: : What else is there to say? No, really? What else can I say that hasn't been said already?
Ahem. "Come on!" You could think of something if you tried. Lesse.....When falcons try to play offstage. That's pretty annoying. And i'm talking like ledge camping. but that goes for any character.

Top Bottom