• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory can really be discouraging..

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
This is probably gonna be a bit biased coming from someone with a 30.55% (yeah, I'm like the Glass Joe of FG) but For Glory really doesn't show how your skills are competitively. In a true competitive environment, you play on more than Final Destination, with no lag, none of the gimmicks of online.
As someone else said, if you wanna become good without all that, just play against people you KNOW are good. Matches in FG are calculated by single player stats (Which makes no sense to me)

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
I see what you mean. I'm also maining Robin and I feel pretty discouraged when I get bodied over and over by a weak fighter. My advice would be to find some sparring partners and practice what you know and what you feel needs improving. Also, like everyone else has said, save your replays on For Glory to look over later.

And don't worry if becoming a great player like Mew2King or ZeRo takes a very long time. We all start somewhere.

Fortress

Smash Master
In regards to the OP, attend more tournaments. No better experience if you're actually looking to get good and get serious about the game, whether you're playing Melee, PM, 64, Brawl, or 4. Hell, learn multiple Smash games, too, nothing beats the experience of being skilled in a couple of them or more (I'm a PM player, myself). If you really want to get ahead in 4, start attending some tournaments for it while it's new, be one of the players who figures out some new crazy tactic or tech with your character, and show off how good you can be. For Glory isn't really a measure at all of just how good or bad you are or aren't.

Personally, I've only played two people who actually knew this game and knew very well how to play it. One guy picked just the Melee roster and played Smash 4 as if they'd always played it and played it in that setting, and the other played an incredible Falcon.

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Robin was speculated as one of the best, but after a week I'm seriously underwhelmed by it. They don't do anything very threatening.

(I might just be fighting bad ones...)

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
For Glory mode kinda sucks to be honest. I get really tired of just playing the Omega mode stages over and over, particularly when it's clear that it's influencing the matchup in the opponent's favour. I should start just doing player matches instead.
Outside of lag, that doesn't even make sense...

I personally find it annoying when I'm playing competitively and it ISN'T an omega stage, Lil Mac or not. Nothing makes me angrier than having the stage be the reason my KO move didn't/wouldn't connect or out-right deny me of a KO out-right (seriously, screw Arena Ferox).

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Yes it does. For instance, Little Mac, Link, and Samus have a strong advantage on a long, flat stage versus one where platforms allow for more movement options against them. Think Melee Yoshi's Story; Ganondorf outperforms on that stage where he suffers more on larger ones where he can be zoned out.

Robin was speculated as one of the best, but after a week I'm seriously underwhelmed by it. They don't do anything very threatening.

(I might just be fighting bad ones...)
Well, you're fighting Robins who have been playing for a week, a character brand-new to the series with absolutely no previously-developed metagame to go by. It's like how people rank Rosalina very low, she's extremely technical, and I can guarantee that once her tricks are discovered she's going to be a very solid shadow character.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yes it does. For instance, Little Mac, Link, and Samus have a strong advantage on a long, flat stage versus one where platforms allow for more movement options against them. Think Melee Yoshi's Story; Ganondorf outperforms on that stage where he suffers more on larger ones where he can be zoned out.
1) I edited that post too late.

2) The initial match-up is that they have strong ground games. Adding platforms is a counter-pick against them. Using the stage to punish a character is bs in my honest opinion.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
Well I'm actually one of those people who aspire to be as good as Ken, Mango, or Mew2king. I take my for glory matches pretty seriously, because I am trying so hard to get better.
That's great and all, but I think you need to change your mentality about losing. Your win ratio should not matter as much as you facing opponents that are at least your equal if not way better than you. Losing to them will be your best teacher as you'll learn how to control your mains better and better, making you more competitive. That is how you will get better, not by having a 95/5 win, loss ratio. That ratio means nothing; I could battle unskilled players only and quit if I fight someone halfway decent and achieve a very high win ratio. It doesn't mean I'm a top tier player, just that I like picking on less experienced players. See what I'm saying?

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
That's great and all, but I think you need to change your mentality about losing. Your win ratio should not matter as much as you facing opponents that are at least your equal if not way better than you. Losing to them will be your best teacher as you'll learn how to control your mains better and better, making you more competitive. That is how you will get better, not by having a 95/5 win, loss ratio. That ratio means nothing; I could battle unskilled players only and quit if I fight someone halfway decent and achieve a very high win ratio. It doesn't mean I'm a top tier player, just that I like picking on less experienced players. See what I'm saying?
Actually losing to people WAY better than you is the last thing you want to do. Better than you? Yes. WAY better? No, because you don't get time to experiment and learn from the experience. You just get molly-whopped. Just like how you want to make sure you beat people worse than you so you can make sure you don't fall for amateur setups and noobish gimmicks, but not WAY worse so you don't get inflated over beating a complete scrub.

But the in general notion is on point.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I don't care much for FG mode either. Partially because I'm not big on online Smash, especially since there will always be laggy matches here and there even if you have good internet. I just wish there were a mode with stock and no items, but with a bigger stage variety. No love for Battlefield?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
The thing is, I don't care about my rating but I want to care about it. I want to be able to see my rating and think to myself "I'm actually pretty good." But with so many unskilled players on For Glory mode its pretty much impossible. As I said in the OP having the high rating just means I'm able to beat low Level / Casual players it doesn't mean I'm good. I think what For glory needs is better matchmaking.

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
Would be so awesome if they implemented Ladder matches with great connection.

Shen_Jehuty

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2423-3102-6095
The thing is, I don't care about my rating but I want to care about it. I want to be able to see my rating and think to myself "I'm actually pretty good." But with so many unskilled players on For Glory mode its pretty much impossible. As I said in the OP having the high rating just means I'm able to beat low Level / Casual players it doesn't mean I'm good. I think what For glory needs is better matchmaking.
That's for sure. I had mentioned in another thread that they should have implemented something similar to Mario Kart 8's ranking/scoring system; if your score is 4000, you'll likely be racing against people no lower than 3000, but no higher then 5000. It keeps things even and competitive.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898

I personally find it annoying when I'm playing competitively and it ISN'T an omega stage, Lil Mac or not. Nothing makes me angrier than having the stage be the reason my KO move didn't/wouldn't connect or out-right deny me of a KO out-right (seriously, screw Arena Ferox).
Uhh, you realize that Omega Mode affects the progression of the match too, right? For example, there are combos that you can escape if you have access to a platform. The long length of FD and the absence of a platform to use also makes certain types of horizontal camping more effective.

Of course, there are a lot of crap stages which just aren't good for competitive play. No one's denying that the 3DS stagelist is generally bad, but it does have more than one good stage to play on, so it's kind of absurd that we're always limited to FD.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Camp2King is overrated.

Just play with friends and have fun losing, winning, messing up and trying new things. The game is full of personality; you should be, too.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Uhh, you realize that Omega Mode affects the progression of the match too, right? For example, there are combos that you can escape if you have access to a platform. The long length of FD and the absence of a platform to use also makes certain types of horizontal camping more effective.

Of course, there are a lot of crap stages which just aren't good for competitive play. No one's denying that the 3DS stagelist is generally bad, but it does have more than one good stage to play on, so it's kind of absurd that we're always limited to FD.
No, I'm not about to have another situation where people think the addition of platforms is somehow "fair" for people that do well in the initial, neutral match-up. If you NEED HELP to escape combos or apply pressure, then the match-up is called a "bad match-up" to begin with. Using the stage to even it out is unfair to the guy with the initial advantage before you put the platform(s) there. I mean, you just blatantly said "We use the stage to gimp people's combos". =_=

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
No, I'm not about to have another situation where people think the addition of platforms is somehow "fair" for people that do well in the initial, neutral match-up. If you NEED HELP to escape combos or apply pressure, then the match-up is called a "bad match-up" to begin with. Using the stage to even it out is unfair to the guy with the initial advantage before you put the platform(s) there. I mean, you just blatantly said "We use the stage to gimp people's combos". =_=
I think most people would say that platforms give every character a creative option that is pretty unique to smash bros. It adds more to the game than it subtracts (if you want to call combo escaping subtraction).

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
A win/loss rate is not an actual rating. I don't know if it affects matchmaking (doesn't seem to), but unless that is the case, there is no reason to care about the number at all. Most highly skilled players seem to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 80%, but their skill with their main and ability to play a variety of characters varies wildly.

You should take some time to honestly consider your attitude, and whether it's how you want to be. Do you really need to think you are so far above everyone else to enjoy the game? The attitude "winning is fun" is what will leave you feeling discouraged, frustrated, and unfulfilled at every turn. Even if you do well in tournaments and challenge the top players, you won't enjoy it. I've fought my share of them, and I can honestly say that without exception, every match I've played with a recognizable name has been among the most boring I have played since the day I picked up 64. It's like fighting a computer, but in the bad way. Exploit, exploit, exploit, wall, wall, wall, chaingrab, chaingrab, chaingrab, etc. You look over at them, and they are completely stone-faced. They look bored, until they eventually lose, at least.

Personally, I can't stand playing that way. I love smash...ALL of smash. The craziness of the stages, the curse/blessing of an opportune item drop, the unfairness/opportunity for badassery of getting double teamed in FFA, and even the occasional 1v1 no items FD. Losing is a part of Smash. A BIG part. You are supposed to lose often by design. You have to be able to laugh when you have a win ripped away from you by some extreme condition. Better yet, you should welcome the extreme condition as a challenge to overcome. When you no longer say "I only lost because of bob-omb/super sonic/mushroomy kingdom", and instead say "I just lost", something like getting two stocked by a fantastic Shiek online won't discourage you. Instead, you'll take it as a challenge to two stock the Shiek right back, and when you do, it will feel great. You'll feel stronger because you overcame a powerful and intimidating opponent. Maybe you were outmatched, but you won anyway because you had guts. Sometimes you will lose more than you win, but you'll come out with a better understanding of the matchups, which is much more valuable than a few more points on your useless record. Let go of your ego. It will hold you back. Losing is your opportunity - it is the blessing of finally finding a worthy opponent who can help you surpass your limitations and challenge yourself to greater heights. Likewise, if you play someone who is far below your level, don't crush them match after match. Use the opportunity to develop some of the characters you are less skilled with. You'll be giving them a better game, and you'll get a better understanding of the cast. It's win-win.

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
A win/loss rate is not an actual rating. I don't know if it affects matchmaking (doesn't seem to), but unless that is the case, there is no reason to care about the number at all. Most highly skilled players seem to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 80%, but their skill with their main and ability to play a variety of characters varies wildly.

You should take some time to honestly consider your attitude, and whether it's how you want to be. Do you really need to think you are so far above everyone else to enjoy the game? The attitude "winning is fun" is what will leave you feeling discouraged, frustrated, and unfulfilled at every turn. Even if you do well in tournaments and challenge the top players, you won't enjoy it. I've fought my share of them, and I can honestly say that without exception, every match I've played with a recognizable name has been among the most boring I have played since the day I picked up 64. It's like fighting a computer, but in the bad way. Exploit, exploit, exploit, wall, wall, wall, chaingrab, chaingrab, chaingrab, etc. You look over at them, and they are completely stone-faced. They look bored, until they eventually lose, at least.

Personally, I can't stand playing that way. I love smash...ALL of smash. The craziness of the stages, the curse/blessing of an opportune item drop, the unfairness/opportunity for badassery of getting double teamed in FFA, and even the occasional 1v1 no items FD. Losing is a part of Smash. A BIG part. You are supposed to lose often by design. You have to be able to laugh when you have a win ripped away from you by some extreme condition. Better yet, you should welcome the extreme condition as a challenge to overcome. When you no longer say "I only lost because of bob-omb/super sonic/mushroomy kingdom", and instead say "I just lost", something like getting two stocked by a fantastic Shiek online won't discourage you. Instead, you'll take it as a challenge to two stock the Shiek right back, and when you do, it will feel great. You'll feel stronger because you overcame a powerful and intimidating opponent. Maybe you were outmatched, but you won anyway because you had guts. Sometimes you will lose more than you win, but you'll come out with a better understanding of the matchups, which is much more valuable than a few more points on your useless record. Let go of your ego. It will hold you back. Losing is your opportunity - it is the blessing of finally finding a worthy opponent who can help you surpass your limitations and challenge yourself to greater heights. Likewise, if you play someone who is far below your level, don't crush them match after match. Use the opportunity to develop some of the characters you are less skilled with. You'll be giving them a better game, and you'll get a better understanding of the cast. It's win-win.
I didn't notice how arrogant I sounded when I said that. No I don't need to be far above anyone to enjoy the game but knowing I was able to beat a high level player means I am improving. It feels nice to know that I'm not wasting my time trying to get better at this game. Also I don't mind losing, Losing means you have room to improve, I understand that.
You're right even if I went to tournaments there is a chance I might not enjoy it but part of me knows I will because I know they are taking the game seriously enough to actually participate in a tournament.
This thread is kinda becoming a bit awkward for me now. I don't want people to think I hate losing or that I think winning is all the matters.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
No, I'm not about to have another situation where people think the addition of platforms is somehow "fair" for people that do well in the initial, neutral match-up.
What makes a long, flat stage "neutral"? It clearly gives advantage to certain characters, for example:

Little Mac - Greatly buffs him as his horrible air game is less relevant here.
Sheik - has long horizontal combos that can carry you to the edge of the stage. On FD, these can go on longer.
Samus, Duck Hunt, ROB - Have more room to run away and camp

In general, it's typically agreed by most competitive players that the most neutral stages are Battlefield, Smashville, and Pokemon Stadium 2 (PM) rather than FD, as they contain a good balance of stage elements (there's some flat areas and some platforms, so most playstyles are viable).

Last edited:

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
Don't get too worked up about it. After going through a horrendous losing streak, I usually just rest up and play later. Even losing gets my blood boiling to the point where I have thoughts of stabbing the opposing player's eye with my stylus. Sometimes you just need to get away from the game and vent all that frustration elsewhere. Just play once there's a sense of rationality in your thoughts. Take every loss as a stepping stone to getting better.

It really does feel weird though since I tend to play too aggressively and get punished for it but I'm steadily finding that right medium of offense and defense.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
Well first off you're actually a really, really good player, as I mentioned in that message I sent you. It's easy to be hard on yourself, and this game is so new. No one should expect to be perfect in the first couple weeks or even months. I was thinking back when Brawl came out and that it took years to get "good" and even longer to get comfortable with all the characters. Same thing applies here. Don't give up, use the experiences of getting bodied as reminders that there is a skill level out there that is greater than yours- and that through practice it is achievable.

You're on the right track. It's kinda ironic that you made this thread cause that's exactly how I felt when you bodied my Villager haha

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I tend to find for glory more frustrating than I do fun, and I also find that I'm adapting to it, but not in a way I'd like- I'm taking on bad, predictable habits, which makes me feel worse when I finally do come across a good player, and I make a dumb mistake or input that gets me killed, or I find myself repeating a choice I made earlier, that didn't work before and they just leave. On that note, if we ever meet on for glory, I hope we have a good time together. Though you'll probably win, haha. Though if you're ever interested in battling me outright, just send me a note. I'm also looking for player that are on my skill level or better than me. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Discouraging?

For Glory can be outright scary.

Like so:

Got into a Rosalina ditto.

My name is "Aaron".

The other person is "not aaron".

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I usually quit playing with someone if I wreak the in one or two games to try and find someone to kick my ass. A lot of people kick my ass. masochism.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
My issue is that I go there to improve, but am beat everytime. I end up learning nothing because I can't face someone closer to my skill level.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I really wish we could add good players we found. I just had about an hour of matches witch some guy called ZeoLuigi. He kept kicking my ass, but the matches were fun. Mario's combos are ridiculous, he had a really nice pac-man too! I wish I could have requested to add him/her as a friend. Seemed like a player I could have learned a lot from.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
I'm sure I found you on For glory, and your robin was the best robin I've fought so far. I'm a shulk don't know if you'd recall me XD my mii is Tharja. But I'm very sure I battled someone named Gabukin XD.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
Nintendo still sucks with internet. You can't add people(which was weird, couldn't you do that in games like Prime Hunters?), you can't message people, Sakurai bans you for hitting each other too hard, and to top it all off the lag is horrendous. I've stopped playing it in general and have started going to tourneys or just playing locally with friends. For Glory is a horrible indication of skill.

gustypoint

Smash Rookie
NNID
gustypoint
Yeah i have been taking a break from online play in general, just to unlock all of the custom special attacks which has been a very long process so far.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
For Glory so far has been an odd ride. Sometimes there are matches where I play the wrong types of players that only repeat one general strategy over and over again (which puts my brain into an autopilot mode), but some matches I've had have been extremely fun and educational in my training. Although a small sum of people can be crap, it's nice to face some diversity online, at leas for me, as it helps me see different matchups.

Windmaster012

Smash Journeyman
NNID
masterefra012
3DS FC
0473-8259-2427
When that happens I slowly take out the Smash cartridge out of the 3DS, put it in a safe place and then throw my 3DS against the floor and break it. After that i go to Gamestop/Best Buy and buy myself a new 3DS.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Welp, most of us have been playing since release, so I just like to think about how much better I'll be next month, and then the month after that. The ranking system is really strange in For Glory; one minute I'm fighting someone who is far below my skill and the next, I'm against someone who has to have been to a million tourneys since Smash 64. Those fights can certainly be discouraging.

It's a trial of endurance, I suppose.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
The most discouraging things to me are: When I run into a good player, but I have no way to add or find them for more matches. Or I lose to tactics I can usually beat due to lag and input delay, and finally, when matches make my brain go on autopilot and I stop focusing, resulting in a bad match.

Last edited:

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Mango used to destroy m2k, doesn't mean m2k is bad now does it?

Top Bottom