• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Fun? For Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I play to win. The thrill of trying to be victorious is fun for me. When you're playing someone tough, trying to read their tactics so you can render them useless... your palms starting to sweat since you're playing your best.... And then when that sweet victory comes you worked so hard for.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I play to win. The thrill of trying to be victorious is fun for me. When you're playing someone tough, trying to read their tactics so you can render them useless... your palms starting to sweat since you're playing your best.... And then when that sweet victory comes you worked so hard for.
Typical Aksel, but this I agree. I seem to have more fun when I win, and vice versa is true at well. Nobody likes to lose as something that they so believe they are good in. That is human nature.

However, each of us have different traits in this case. Some of us are cocky, others are modest, there is no in-between. People who say they dont care are the modest ones, and the ones who complain are the cocky ones. We all know for a fact that Brawl wifi is a pain, but what about offline matching? Can you really complain or "john" then?

But to keep on track, I play to win. If I lose, I will be disappointed no doubt. But that only encourages you to practice more. In the end, I STILL have fun. Why? It's a video game for heaven's sake...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I play to win, but it's not like I cease having fun when I lose. I'm not one of those people who gets upset at losing; I actually enjoy losing. Every time I lose, that means there's something more for me to work on. I think if I ever had nothing to work on, that's when I'd stop enjoying the game.

So, play to enjoy, I guess. If that means winning, go for it, just never lose your enjoyment of the game.

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
I play for the win, the fun always comes with it so i get both.

It's back when i played for "fun" (items, lame stages etc.) that the game was so boring to me.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Both; for me, they're not mutually exclusive. I wouldn't play the game if it weren't fun, but I also wouldn't try to get better if I didn't want to win.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Scott has it. Where is option #3? I play to win because it is fun. This idea that playing to win somehow renders fun unlawful blows my mind.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Thiiiis x eleventybillion
Hahahahaha...

The only logical choices for this particular poll should be (1) for fun and (2) not for fun. I really do wonder how many people would choose #2.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does anyone play to loose?

Or does anyone loose to have fun?

Richard7

Smash Ace
I play to win. If I lose matches or am versing lame/OP characters, then that's not fun. You can basically only have fun in brawl if you win, if items are on (if items are on, then the match obviously no longer becomes competitive. Yes items can be fun) or if something strange happens in a match.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Well, I do have fun winning with MK and Kirby...

I don't win as much with Sheik and Pikachu, but I definitely enjoy using them the most.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
For fun.

The objective of the match, to secure a victory, is but a means to an end so you can improve and enjoy yourself as you see yourself improve, as you see your opponent adapt. You are sharing your experience with your peers, friends and opponents as much as you are competing against them. If you can't appreciate the journey, then why bother setting out at all?

And it's ALWAYS fun to Bowsercide. Always.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I play to win if my opponent is doing the same.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
To win, unless I'm playing against some friends that follow "How to Brawl like a man", in which case I still play to win, just not nearly as well. >_<

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Scott has it. Where is option #3? I play to win because it is fun. This idea that playing to win somehow renders fun unlawful blows my mind.
I suppose this is offset by the commonplace "I don't care if it's honourable, we're playing to win" mentality, where if you're playing against someone who isn't exactly impressed by [insert publically controversial tactic here ] then there's a good chance that by using it, you're having fun at his expense.

But that's just what I seem to interpret of it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Ah, so the question is really about whether we play for our opponent's fun!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
But I thought everyone was selfish...

You should care about the amount of fun your're having instead of your opponent.

raak

Smash Rookie
I dunno if I play for win or for fun. I normally try to have fun and maintain a friendly environment, but play against everyone with all the intentions to win. But sometimes, when my opponent acts like an immature child I play merely to shut him up, a.k.a. for win.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Precisely! :bee:

In which case, I think I might actually be in the latter half. While I know we're playing competitively, I'm also aware that at the end of the day this is all a game. Maybe it's because I watched that movie where the hero decides to save his friend rather than beat his jerk-*** rival too often, but I don't find it very fun if I'm the only one enjoying myself. If I'm not having fun, I'm demoralised. If I'm demoralised, I lack motivation. If I lack motivation, then I find something else that I do have fun in. If I find something else that is fun that I can do, then I'm not playing Smash. If I'm not playing Smash, then I'm not having as much fun as I could be.

Please, save me from the paradox. Play for fun. :(

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
That would make for a very interesting poll indeed. When taking into account whether the other guy is having fun, the answers might be a bit more scattered. Personally, it does matter to me whether the opponent is having fun, but I have my limits. I won't play incredibly stupid modes just to keep him happy. I will tolerate things like items and banned stages. If I am in a tournament, I don't care if my opponent is having fun. :p

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Good points in the last couple posts.

Me, I play very honorably. I may even show pity at times if I am playing someone not expert at the game. Thats out of my kindness though. Not that I am underestimating. I hate to play a match and I am utterly destroying them, I am not about the ****. :laugh:

Then again, it depends on who I am playing. For instance, if some random jerk came to me and said "oh chicks cant play Smash, I will tear you apart before you make me a sammich" of course I wouldnt go easy on him, whether he is good or not. I dont know. Its been too long since I played a Smash game.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Someone has probably said this already, but what the hell. I fight for my friends.

On a serious note, I fight to win.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
That would make for a very interesting poll indeed. When taking into account whether the other guy is having fun, the answers might be a bit more scattered. Personally, it does matter to me whether the opponent is having fun, but I have my limits. I won't play incredibly stupid modes just to keep him happy. I will tolerate things like items and banned stages. If I am in a tournament, I don't care if my opponent is having fun. :p
I definitely agree in the tournament setting, where both sides come with the intention to win and to beat the other guy. In that sense, all participants should be aware that whatever's not illegal (unless there's some ungodly taboo that must not be touched) goes. If you can do it, you've earned it. I admire those who stick to their virtue in tournament matches, yet at the same time they know the risk they take if their method is "unpopular", and cannot expect to garner 'special attention', for lack of a better term, if the outcome is unfavourable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom