• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For All you people who think brawl will never have combos look at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I want to point out that in many fighting games combos are escapable via combo-breakers, counters, etc etc...

My point, in Melee combos were near inescapable unless there is a mistake on the combo'ers part pretty much because there wasn't anything implemented to stop one. In Brawl on the other hand we have *new*airdodges, extreme DI, powershielding, etc etc to help us make decisions on how to escape a combo. Whether or not we make the right moves is up to us.

Since the fighting style of the SSB series is so free-form it would be hard to implement a 'combo-breaker' system into it thus why we may have what we have now.

Just some food for thought...

Whether this video had a combo in it or not is not important, but I will say this...

Daaaaaaaaamn!

Velocity

Smash Lord
lol @ this thread being so bad, I mean i am accepting all mms in the game in person no wifi, so let me know, lol at people thinking you can airdodge after every hit in the air and thinking thats just going to get you out of it i **** air dodgers.

true this thread is spam

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tech-chasing is not the same thing as comboing. And did you ever see skilled Melee players play? We tech-chased in Melee as well.

Also, I saw almost zero comboing (not any that skilled players would fall for). It was mostly the R.O.B.-player sucking. He kept jumping towards Velocity while being comboed instead of trying to evade the subsequent combos.

That was yet another case of the opponent sucking. Even the "combo" at the end wasn't in any way a real combo. It was just a really predictable and stupid player getting owned.

I mean, I'm sure Velocity is a good player. But that video hardly proves he's a great player (since the opponent just sucked) nor does it prove there are combos in the game (as I know for a fact through testing that the majority of those combos aren't possible on smart opponents).

lol @ this thread being so bad, I mean i am accepting all mms in the game in person no wifi, so let me know, lol at people thinking you can airdodge after every hit in the air and thinking thats just going to get you out of it i **** air dodgers.

true this thread is spam
The majority of the hits in that combo were DI-able and airdodgable. If you can't see that, then I'd gladly moneymatch you for 100 bucks only I live in Sweden (Europe) so it's not like we really can (no, I wouldn't MM someone over Wi-Fi either... especially not someone on another continent).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, who cares if it's not a true combo?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Because a lot of people are claiming/think it is?

Also, what's there to **** about if it's not a true combo (as you yourself have conceeded)? Anyone (I'm not saying Velocity isn't any good) can make a video where they just own someone who sucks by "comboing" them into infinity.

Doesn't mean it's in any way impressive. Because it's simply the opponent sucking a lot.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
That wasn't tech chasing at all. And face it, the ROB player jumped into most of that and didn't really bother to escape it at all. Not to mention that didn't look like a very difficult combo, especially compared to the things in Melee.

No one denied that Brawl has no combos. It has some, just far, far less than Melee did. Not that we're ever going to see something like that in a Brawl tournament within a few more months.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Actually, combos in Brawl will probably never be anything quite like they are in Melee. And months? It took years in Melee. Brawl won't be developing that quickly.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, Gornel, combos in Brawl will probably never be anything quite like they are in Melee. And months? It took years in Melee. Brawl won't be developing that quickly.
It did not take us years to develop combos, especially not with characters like Sheik, in Melee. Also, stop using that as an argument.

It's like saying the Tekken community will need years to get their Tekken 6-skill up on par with their Tekken 5-skill since it took them quite a while to become good in the early days of Tekken (1-3).

The community was smaller, the technical skill level was infinitely lower and everyone was new to the game since Melee was very different from 64. While Brawl is different, the differences don't take that long to adjust to. No, it will not take us years.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
So how do I do that GaW Magnet AT?

It had to have been a Magnet AT. Why else would ROB continuously thrust himself into GaW without so much as a shield, dodge, or a simple attempted attack.

Is it like the Mortar Slide?

I'm gunna go try it out!

::EDIT::

Nope, no luck. That ROB is just terrible.

=(

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So how do I do that GaW Magnet AT?

It had to have been a Magnet AT. Why else would ROB continuously thrust himself into GaW without so much as a shield, dodge, or a simple attempted attack.

Is it like the Mortar Slide?

I'm gunna go try it out!

::EDIT::

Nope, no luck. That ROB is just terrible.

=(
Quoted for lulz. I'd rep you if we still had repping.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Well, the reason I say "who cares" is because it's much more impressive to predict your opponent's actions than to mash something that is inescapable no matter what he did. That being said, yeah I agree the opponent sucked.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, the reason I say "who cares" is because it's much more impressive to predict your opponent's actions than to mash something that is inescapable no matter what he did. That being said, yeah I agree the opponent sucked.
All he did was predicting that the R.O.B. would suck. Not only did the R.O.B. not try to DI out of the combo, he also jumped/air controlled into it when he flew away too far for G&W to hit him afterwards!

All G&W did most of the time was standing on the same spot and spam out moves in the hopes of the R.O.B. DI:ing/Air Controlling/Jumping into them. I'd say it's impressive how stupid the R.O.B. was.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
All he did was predicting that the R.O.B. would suck. Not only did the R.O.B. not try to DI out of the combo, he also jumped/air controlled into it when he flew away too far for G&W to hit him afterwards!

All G&W did most of the time was standing on the same spot and spam out moves in the hopes of the R.O.B. DI:ing/Air Controlling/Jumping into them. I'd say it's impressive how stupid the R.O.B. was.
Yes, it was quite impressive indeed!

Kudos ROB! Way to lower the standards!

Bazooka Lucca

BRoomer
BRoomer
That robot could have shield grabbed so many of those. The Ariel combo was nice at the end though.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

Yeah, which is why I said he sucked. :p

I would like to see what he'd do against someone who doesn't suck.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Have you ever wondered why tournament finals are always completely devoid of combos?

Because they're ridiculously easy to escape. People need to start accepting the fact that combos are gone and will never come back.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
I had a really nice combo with falcon I koed a person from 0% to 60% but the frickin match was 3:20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom