• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For a future Smash, who are your top 10 cuts to the roster?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Cloud
Bayonetta
Ken
Joker
Richter
After that it gets a little harder:
Ryu
Pichu
Greninja
Isabelle
Lucario
Yes, yes, but Pokemon. Eh.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Posting a list without any explanation of why you chose who you chose creates no discussion and is a waste of a post.

Not directed at any one person in particular. Just a problem with list-prone threads that people tend not to realize.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
My cuts to the roster?
(This is all my own opinion, so no hate)

1.) :ultbayonetta:
2.):ultgreninja:
3.):ultincineroar:
4.):ultpiranha:
5.):ultlittlemac:
6.):ultlucario:
7.):ultlucina:
8.):ultchrom:
9.):ultwiifittrainerm:/:ultwiifittrainer:
10.):ultduckhunt:

How I go about choosing the cuts for characters:
a.) Doesn’t fit in smash well (example- :ultbayonetta:)
b.) An irrelevant/repeated moveset style (example- :ultlucina:or :ultchrom:)
c.) If they are an unloved or simply bland character in general (example- :ultwiifittrainer:or:ultlittlemac:)
d.) If the character is added in to simply represent the newest game in their franchise rather than being beloved themselves (example- all the Pokémon that keeps getting added in).

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Only 10 is flattering, I pray it’ll be a small number when it comes to the real thing...

(The ‘not-echos’)
:ultpichu::ultdoc::ultroy::ulttoonlink:

(Characters I genuinely forget are in the game)
:ultfalco::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucas::ultrosalina:

(Promotional characters that have outstayed their welcome)
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin:

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Definitely the third party fighters for sure. Maybe Sonic and or Megaman might be grand-fathered in, but the others would probably get axed. I'd also say some of the Fire Emblem fighters who aren't as popular so as to add ones from older games or a new game that is soon to be released. Also same goes for Pokemon. Pikachu, Puff, and Mewtwo will get grand-fathered in, but the others are more if they can endure the test of time/fame.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather not have any characters cut, though there are certainly some inclusions I don't feel are justified.

1. :ultroy:/:ultchrom:
I'm a Roy main and I dig Binding Blade, though Roy (and his counterpart, Chrom) really have no place being in Smash. Whether or not Roy actually was an "advertisement", nothing about Roy's inclusion does anything for the game, nor is it important for the legacy of Nintendo and for gaming as a whole. The strong hilt mechanic was completely made up solely for Roy to be an opposite to Marth back in Melee, and he was needlessly reintroduced as a semi-clone when he'd just be better off as a clone or an echo of Marth. Chrom's inclusion certainly does make more sense as he was the protagonist of Awakening, the game that represents his franchise's "rebirth", but I fancy Robin more as a representative of Fire Emblem's revival, mainly because their archetype is more unique.
My solution for the excess Marth clones is just to make them alternates for one agile sword-wielding lord character, with the default form being Marth. This would be an excuse to give more fanservice to Fire Emblem fans, with these alternates including other lords like Alm, Seliph, Lyn, Eirika, etc.
2. :ultcorrin:
Yes, Corrin has a unique moveset. No, this shouldn't entitle them to a spot in the biggest video game crossover of all time. It was pretty obvious that Corrin was added in as an advertisement, even more so than Roy. Fire Emblem Fates, so I've heard, was panned in a lot of areas, and I don't believe the games were important to Nintendo or gaming legacy.
3. :ultike:
This may hurt the feelings of some, but I'm just not seeing the importance of Ike. Yes, he breaks Fire Emblem molds, with being more brash and serious than other Lords across the series, and swinging a two-handed sword around like it's nothing. But his niche of being a unga bunga heavy sword-wielder nowadays is better represented to me by a character like Cloud. This is also the time for me to push for Hector's inclusion. Yes, Ike can wield an axe, but a character's weapon in Smash is always going to be the main one they use in games. Hector's main weapon is an axe, he could be a super heavyweight, he has a grassroots fan following nearly as large as Ike's is, and could take inspiration from those glorious GBA Fire Emblem battle animations. Would be a much better inclusion rather than Ike, IMO, but his time's long since passed.
4. :ultdoc:
In addition to being a Roy main, I'm also a Doc main. I like the "heavier Mario" thing he does but he really didn't need to exist besides being padding for Melee's roster. I really don't see why Mario in a different costume has to be a whole different character.
5. :ultpichu:
Pichu's alright due to being a representative of Pokemon's second generation, but I'd rather see other Pokemon rather than Pikachu's faster, tinier, more annoying younger variant. Like Doc, was added in Melee mostly like as padding for the development crunch. Probably too cute to boot, but eh.
6. :ultyounglink:
Same deal as with Doc and Pichu. Young Link has the potential for far, far more, but I don't think it's likely for him to get a complete revamp with Majora's Mask type stuff. Toon Link's been in more games than the young milk-drinking fellow, and there's a lot of people out there who dig the more chibi-type Link than the regular one.
7. :ultzss:
Yes, she has a unique moveset, but...why does she even need to exist, though? Besides her Paralyzer, her moveset with the jet boots and plasma whip is completely made up. I think Metroid representation is now well-covered due to Ridley and Dark Samus being in the game. Dark Samus could use a decloning, though.
8. :ultsheik:
Same kinda deal as Zero Suit Samus - Sheik's moveset is almost completely made up, sans one or two more details. She's a vestige of Zelda's old transformation mechanic, with a very generic ninja-type moveset. Hell, she doesn't even play her harp!
9. :ultfalco:
Sorry Falco, looks like you're gonna have to jack off. Fox already is a character that isn't as inspired as others - while him piloting an Arwing while fighting would look silly, there's still more they could've done with his character, like featuring more moves from his on-foot sequences in some of the games. As it stands now, Falco was a Melee clone from a character that wasn't the most inspired, and then was further decloned in Brawl - but didn't actually make him more inspired than Fox was. Now you may be wondering why I didn't pick Wolf - he's the rival to Fox, that's why! Even if he's the same exact deal as Falco...
10. :ultincineroar:
A "shillmon", as they often say. I wasn't really a fan of either Incineroar's or Greninja's inclusion. I think a wrestling gimmick could've been done better by a classic character like Star Man or the Amazon from Pro Wrestling. In general, I think Pokemon's roster could be handled better, but what are you gonna do?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd rather not have any characters cut, though there are certainly some inclusions I don't feel are justified.

1. :ultroy:/:ultchrom:
I'm a Roy main and I dig Binding Blade, though Roy (and his counterpart, Chrom) really have no place being in Smash. Whether or not Roy actually was an "advertisement", nothing about Roy's inclusion does anything for the game, nor is it important for the legacy of Nintendo and for gaming as a whole. The strong hilt mechanic was completely made up solely for Roy to be an opposite to Marth back in Melee, and he was needlessly reintroduced as a semi-clone when he'd just be better off as a clone or an echo of Marth. Chrom's inclusion certainly does make more sense as he was the protagonist of Awakening, the game that represents his franchise's "rebirth", but I fancy Robin more as a representative of Fire Emblem's revival, mainly because their archetype is more unique.
My solution for the excess Marth clones is just to make them alternates for one agile sword-wielding lord character, with the default form being Marth. This would be an excuse to give more fanservice to Fire Emblem fans, with these alternates including other lords like Alm, Seliph, Lyn, Eirika, etc.
2. :ultcorrin:
Yes, Corrin has a unique moveset. No, this shouldn't entitle them to a spot in the biggest video game crossover of all time. It was pretty obvious that Corrin was added in as an advertisement, even more so than Roy. Fire Emblem Fates, so I've heard, was panned in a lot of areas, and I don't believe the games were important to Nintendo or gaming legacy.
3. :ultike:
This may hurt the feelings of some, but I'm just not seeing the importance of Ike. Yes, he breaks Fire Emblem molds, with being more brash and serious than other Lords across the series, and swinging a two-handed sword around like it's nothing. But his niche of being a unga bunga heavy sword-wielder nowadays is better represented to me by a character like Cloud. This is also the time for me to push for Hector's inclusion. Yes, Ike can wield an axe, but a character's weapon in Smash is always going to be the main one they use in games. Hector's main weapon is an axe, he could be a super heavyweight, he has a grassroots fan following nearly as large as Ike's is, and could take inspiration from those glorious GBA Fire Emblem battle animations. Would be a much better inclusion rather than Ike, IMO, but his time's long since passed.
4. :ultdoc:
In addition to being a Roy main, I'm also a Doc main. I like the "heavier Mario" thing he does but he really didn't need to exist besides being padding for Melee's roster. I really don't see why Mario in a different costume has to be a whole different character.
5. :ultpichu:
Pichu's alright due to being a representative of Pokemon's second generation, but I'd rather see other Pokemon rather than Pikachu's faster, tinier, more annoying younger variant. Like Doc, was added in Melee mostly like as padding for the development crunch. Probably too cute to boot, but eh.
6. :ultyounglink:
Same deal as with Doc and Pichu. Young Link has the potential for far, far more, but I don't think it's likely for him to get a complete revamp with Majora's Mask type stuff. Toon Link's been in more games than the young milk-drinking fellow, and there's a lot of people out there who dig the more chibi-type Link than the regular one.
7. :ultzss:
Yes, she has a unique moveset, but...why does she even need to exist, though? Besides her Paralyzer, her moveset with the jet boots and plasma whip is completely made up. I think Metroid representation is now well-covered due to Ridley and Dark Samus being in the game. Dark Samus could use a decloning, though.
8. :ultsheik:
Same kinda deal as Zero Suit Samus - Sheik's moveset is almost completely made up, sans one or two more details. She's a vestige of Zelda's old transformation mechanic, with a very generic ninja-type moveset. Hell, she doesn't even play her harp!
9. :ultfalco:
Sorry Falco, looks like you're gonna have to jack off. Fox already is a character that isn't as inspired as others - while him piloting an Arwing while fighting would look silly, there's still more they could've done with his character, like featuring more moves from his on-foot sequences in some of the games. As it stands now, Falco was a Melee clone from a character that wasn't the most inspired, and then was further decloned in Brawl - but didn't actually make him more inspired than Fox was. Now you may be wondering why I didn't pick Wolf - he's the rival to Fox, that's why! Even if he's the same exact deal as Falco...
10. :ultincineroar:
A "shillmon", as they often say. I wasn't really a fan of either Incineroar's or Greninja's inclusion. I think a wrestling gimmick could've been done better by a classic character like Star Man or the Amazon from Pro Wrestling. In general, I think Pokemon's roster could be handled better, but what are you gonna do?
On your Ike point, Cloud is probably the single most likely fighter to get cut. So....

osby

Smash Obsessed
Posting a list without any explanation of why you chose who you chose creates no discussion and is a waste of a post.

Not directed at any one person in particular. Just a problem with list-prone threads that people tend not to realize.
Almost all posts in this threads boils down to "I don't like their faces", so most explanations don't really open a chance for discussion anyway.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
While I disagree with cuts

1, 2 and 3: :ultdoc::ultsheik: and :ultzss:. I prefer if Dr.Mario is an alternate costume, plus Sheik and Zero Suit Samus are back to being transformation characters, so this would loophole the cuts.
4 and 5: 2 of the Miis, just so there will be more room for fighters.
6 and 7: :ulttoonlink: and :ultyounglink:, they may not get cut, but they will most likely get replaced by Midna and Skull Kid
8 and 9: 2 Fire Emblem characters, but Lets just say Chrom and Roy are the most likely ones, even if they may not get cut.
10: :ultcloud:, unless Square Enix allows more representation.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Literally the only cut I’d ever make from Ultimate to Smash 6/7 would be :ultcloud:...literally just him

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Alright, you know what, lemme redo my list.
1-2: :ultcorrin::ultroy:. Advertisements. Enough said.
3-4: :ultlucina::ultchrom:. Uninteresting clones.
5::ultduckhunt:. Never really liked them anyway.
6: :ultpichu:. There are better pokemon options.
7: :ultcloud:. Honestly I don't see a reason why he should stay if Square is going to continue denying content.
8: :ultpiranha:. Yeah this was obvious.
9: :ultlittlemac:. The way they designed his moveset is fundamentally stupid. Give him a working moveset or get him out.
10: :ultdoc:. Another clone-ish fighter.

Honorable mentions:
:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:: Each one is similar to :ultlink: but they've both been very important and iconic to Nintendo.
:ultbayonetta:: I was never a fan of her inclusion but she holds merit.
:ultzss:: Now that we have decent Metroid representation she's no longer necessary but she brings a very interesting moveset to the table.
:ultsheik:: She's made big appearances in very few Zelda games but like ZSS her moveset is pretty unique.
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:: Simply because Animal Crossing has zero fighting in it, but the series is huge.
:ultike:: I personally don't find him to be very interesting.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
As Sakurai has stated:

This is a very real conundrum we could have to face in the future, given what Sakurai said. So if we were given no other option but to make roster cuts, who would you cut? Which characters do you personally have the least affinity for? Who are you least favorites? Who would you choose to cut?

Fill this survey out so we can get some data on this: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PWJN9ZV
(Don't worry it's quick and easy, just check the 10 characters and you're done)

EDIT: ECHO CHARACTERS DO NOT COUNT, they are not dignified characters. They are purely bonus fighters, this concept won't change in a future Smash. They don't take up significant development time. You can't pick Dark Pit, Richter, etc. You must pick dignified primary characters; if you don't cut Pit, Dark Pit is essentially automatically in the game.

EDIT AGAIN: Mii FIGHTERS = 1 FIGHTER. You can't separately list Mii Brawler, Gunner, and Swordsman. They count as one character, like a trinity.

Another thing for clarity because I forgot to state this: This poll is based on your personal taste primarily, not necessarily objective reasoning. This is not based on who SHOULD be cut, but who you would like to see cut most personally. I'm trying to get a feel of who are the least beloved characters in Smash. I'm not totally asking to throw out logic, but to use your personal taste. If you are a die-hard Pichu fan yet who thinks he would be a logical cut for a future Smash, then please don't vote him. Vote based on WHO YOU LIKE/DISLIKE as a character. If you feel absolutely unbiased, then go ahead and base it on your logical reasoning if you must. I would rather know who you personally are least attached to, though. Granted, this post would be more effective after we had time playing the game to develop least-favorites.

Remember: Keep it civil! We all have least favorites.

Also, feel free to post your top 10 here. My picks ranked from who I most want cut to least wanted:

1. Mii Fighters
No explanation needed, imo. Obvious pick.

2. Pichu
Obvious pick. I do not care about Pichu, although it is a fun trolly cutesy character. Nice to have as a bonus, but absolutely not worth it if it takes away from another character.

3. Dr. Mario
Actually one of my favorite characters, but he can go for obvious reasons. Nice to have as a bonus, but absolutely not worth it if it takes away from another character.

4. Jigglypuff
Yes, I know, its an original 8 character. But to be honest nobody really cares about Jiggs as a character. Playstyle, yeah sure. I think it's fun playing as Jigglypuff, but the character is so irrelevant. The only reason she continues to have legitimacy is because she was in the original Smash. And to me, I would break that rule for someone else. Another Pokemon would be better than Jigg.

5. Lucas
Love playing as Lucas, but he can go. Not worth the slot, same deal with 1 and 2.

6. Bowser Jr.
Ah one of my most wanted newcomers for Smash 4. If he wasn't implemented as a proxy for Koopalings and battled on-foot, I would've enjoyed the character. But as he is implemented I don't touch this character. He has no personality or flare; because he has to be a skeleton for different Koopalings. Although he is an important Mario character, I think he lacks some appeal in Smash.

7. Ridley
Trigger warning: I still believe Ridley is too big and looks awkward in Smash Ultimate. I've gotten used to the idea, but it still looks awkward for me to see him the same size as Charizard and look arguably less imposing. Maybe if he was a hint larger and less hunched I could get behind him. But as Ridley is currently implemented, I would definitely choose him to be cut. The only reason he is not #1 is because Ridley fans would go absolutely bonkers if he was cut.

8. Piranha Plant
Doesn't matter how well executed he is, or unique. As a character, a standalone character, he can be cut. Although very recognizable...it's Piranha Plant. A generic enemy from Mario. There are plenty more "legitimate" characters than the plant.

9: Corrin
FE fans don't even like this character apparently. In Smash he's fun to play as, but as a character he was DOA. Therefore, he is expendable.

10: Robin
Robin is an alright character, pretty unique. But Fire Emblem can definitely afford to lose some "reps" and Robin lacks the star power in Smash. I think his time came and went tbh.
How can I just stop at 10? : P

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
Jigglypuff? Few reasons why I think she shouldn’t be removed.

She has a unique playstyle and rest combos
Requires skill to utilize
FINALLY good in a smash game since melee.
This may just be me but I think her playstyle is really fun to watch at tournaments

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd keep Jiggly if just because it's part of the perfect attendance crew.

"Oh, but that doesn't matter, it was almost cut in Brawl." Well, if it doesn't matter, why did they put so much emphasis on Smash order in this game? Yes, yes, everyone is here, but at this point, being perfect attendance should count for something.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
:ultcorrinf::ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultlucario::ultpiranha::ultpichu::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultbowserjr:

Actually, I can't really think of a 10th character but I was able to think of these 9 relatively fast.
However, if nothing changes in his moveset then I'd put :ultlittlemac:in here as well.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
In no particular order...
  1. :ultroy:-A character I already didn't like back in Melee and only grew to dislike him more after learning he was added to promote his game.
  2. :ultcorrin:/:ultcorrinf:-I find there moveset fun however Corrin is a divisive character even within the FE community combined with sort of being another promo pick plus there are other FE characters I would rather see playable in Smash.
  3. :ultdarkpit:-Last minute clone I would rather not see from a franchise I already dislike.
  4. :ultincineroar:-I hate seeing his ugly mug on the character select screen. Would have been okay with literally any other newcomer even if they had to come from Gen 7.
  5. :ultjigglypuff:-Has long since become irrelevant to the Pokémon series and I hate it when I hear 'oh, Jigglypuff has been in Smash since the beginning so they can never get rid of him' excuse. There are other Pokémon that can better represent the series.
  6. :ultpichu:-Only got in due to Gen 2 being the most recent in Melee plus Baby Pikachu was an easy clone to make back in the day. Like :ultincineroar: seeing Pichu on the character select screen just ticks me off.
  7. :ultfalco:-Always felt Star Fox fans and Nintendo themselves tried to make a bigger deal out of the Star Fox series than it actually was and I feel their memes has gone stale and overused as well. Don't think we need three characters we all fight similarly. Fox and Wolf is enough representation for the series I feel.
  8. :ultsnake:-Never really cared about Metal Gear nor did I miss him in Smash 4. Still won't miss him if he is axed for the next installment.
  9. :ultsheik:-Used to be part of Zelda's moveset but since Zelda's appearance and moveset evolved past Ocarina of Time so I feel we don't need Shiek anymore. Could have passed the moveset on to a more iconic Zelda character like Impa. Plus Shiek was always one of my least favorite Zelda characters and I didn't like how Shiek overshadowed Zelda in Smash games since Melee.
  10. :ultdoc:-Always seemed like a strange pick to me. Never really understood why we needed a slot on the roster dedicated to Mario dressed as a doctor.
Honorable mentions...:ultdarksamus::ultike::ultbayonetta::ultrosalina:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Aside from most third party characters, I'm starting to become more less invested in Rosalina everyday. I don't know. I don't specifically want her cut but I'd definitely replace her with a character I have a high priority over. She's one of those characters that feel above Smash. If no Skull Kid, all the more reason to see Young Link go. Pokémon Trainer, easy cut. Pichu is nostalgia but I'd replace him for a higher priority character. Chrom, something about him bothers me. His luck is tedious. I can't stomach how he got in over Lyn. Palutena, I can't put it into words. She doesn't belong in Smash. Zero Suit Samus, she stays in the suit. Duck Hunt Dog, I'd probably remove. I don't know. I miss Mr. Game & Watch as the retro rep.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Choose them based of personal preferences huh? Okay..
:ultlucario:
While Lucario has an interesting mechanic its an otherwise not very interesting character and if removing Lucario would mean replacing it with a more unique pokemon character I'd be all for that.
:ultjigglypuff:
Jigglypuff is another interesting character but has campy and trolly tendencies so despite being part of the original cast I think it still makes sense to remove this character that was kinda just tacked on.
:ultlittlemac:
While a unique addition the character has a hard time fitting in and I personally would have no problem seeing him go.
:ultisabelle:
If this fighter's moveset was a little more different from Villager's and just plain worked then I'd actually consider keeping the character. As of right now the 'mine' doesn't always connect 'properly' when fast characters are running past it and I don't like that they gave her the same slingshot for her forward and backward aerials. Wish her smash attacks did more too.
:ultroy::ultchrom:
Because you say clones can't go this makes the choice a bit more complicated but in this case this would probably be my choice. I'd rather cut and combine all the similar FE characters and bring it down to about 4 total existing ones. For example, I'd rather keep Marth, Corrin, Robin, and make Roy borrow moves/traits from the other cut FE characters like using Chrom/Ike's up-special.
:ultdoc:
Still feels far too redundant to Mario
:ultdiddy:
Never liked this fighter very much. Wouldn't miss him at all.
:ultwiifittrainer:
Simple, rather have the character not in the game.
:ultjoker:
While a cool addition to Ultimate, I have a certain distaste for the character.
:ultbayonetta:
Does this really need any explanation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meh, I don’t really have characters who I deeply want cut from the game. Because of that I can’t really make a real top 10 list.

I could however list 10 characters who I could imagine as locks for the next game if there are cuts (excluding obvious ones such as Mario, Link, Samus or Pikachu):

:ultinkling:
:ultvillager:
:ultrobin:
:ultmarth:
:ultpit:
:ultshulk:
:ultridley:
:ultkrool:
:ultsonic:
:ulthero:

TillerManX

Smash Rookie
In my opinion. Being in the original 12 is an excuse for Jigglypuff to be kept, and almost being cut from brawl is an excuse for Jigglypuff to be removed

TillerManX

Smash Rookie
In my Super Smash Bros. Eternity (the 6th pretend game) here are the 14 cut characters:
:ultlucas:: Mother 3 will never be outside of Japan
:ultjigglypuff:: Who asked for her? (I know she was popular)
:ultcorrinf:: Everyone. Hates. Male. and we didn't need another FE rep
:ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Fit is dead
:ultpichu:: Would prefer Heracross for Gen 2 instead of this Pikaclone
:ultyounglink:: Wasted ideas with his masks
:ulttoonlink:: We didn't need 3 Links
:ultroy:: Uninteresting and fans hate him
:ultrosalina:: Waluigi and Daisy get no attention in mainline Mario games cause of her getting overused
:ultcloud:: No history with Nintendo
:ultzss:: Horny pervs with fan-service and her being stronger than Power Suit
:ultsheik:: Only appeared in one main game and that's it (Hyrule warriors doesn't count)
:ultdoc:: Someone wanted him as a alt, wasted slot
:ultlucario:: Hated cause Mewtwo got replaced
Edit: Removed Isabelle and Snake
Uh, no one asked for Mr. game and watch and rob

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
:ultzss::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultyounglink::ultjoker::ultisabelle::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultcloud:

I have nothing against any of these characters... Ok, I really dislike Corrin. But the rest, please forgive me.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
:ultpokemontrainer:This concept has gotta go! I prefer Super smash Bros. 4's 1 moveset rule
:ultsquirtle:Gotta stick with the 1 moveset rule
:ultivysaur:Likewise
:ultpichu:Baby Pokemon shouldn't be fighters
:ultyounglink:2 Links are enough
:ultdoc:...
:ultsteve: Minecraft? more like Minecrap. Plus, he's too cheap
:ultbyleth:so Redundant.

(I can't think of 10)

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I can't pick a personal set of characters I'd want cut because it seems unfair to cit a character due to bias.

I already kinda touched on this once before, but I guesa I can compile a list here for the characters who will likely be on the cutting board due to logical reasons.

Let's get started:

1. Piranha Plant - Simply put, there are kpre iconic Mario enemies they could use in it's place as well as being an additive DLC Sakurai added purely for fun. It's got meme status. And a unique moveset backing it, but that's about all.

2. Dr. Mario - Easily cut due to just being another Mario who's canonically no different from regular Mario. He also is mostly derivative of Mario, so yeah.

3. Pichu - A character that gained a lot pf popularity and presence after his amazing comeback from joke character in Melee, but it's clear he was always expendable even as far back as Melee and is derivative of Pikachu. Pokémon has the potential for the most reps in Smash, but I feel like less important ones will be cut to make room for the new or other popular 'mon people want.

4. Roy - The leaat popular clone character from FE which is already likely to get him cut along with people disliking promo characters.

5. Like Roy, Lucas is simply not as popular as the character he's loosely based on and is practically a promotion due to Mother 3 never releasing in the West, which makes up a sizable portion of Smash's players. Mother itself is also just not relevant or popular anymore, albeit it's referenced by many game designers of games like Undertale and OFF as inspiration, but still not enough.

6. Cloud - Don't have to say it.

7. ROB - Just not relevant nor popular and is a character with retro appeal only with little game presence. To be fair, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Mr. G&W can go here as well, but at least those three have more going for them.

8. One of the Links are gonna go, and given Toon Link's presence, I'd say Young Link is the liklier to go. He was already expendable and is a clone. The only way I can see him staying is if they actually implement the Masks into his moveset.

9. Shiek/Zero Suit - What's been said has already been said

10. Falco or Wolf - Star Fox is practically on It's dying breath at this point and the series is so unsuccessful as of recent times that people think even Fox might not make it in a reboot of Smash, and as such, one of the characters are definitely gonna have to go. Falco is probably more popular than Wolf and has the most presence in Smash while Wolf was expendable from Brawl to Wii U/3DS due to him already being a last minute semiclone, but Falco was simply that in Melee as well. And if we're honest? Falco doesn't fit anything noteworthy in terms of character archetypes while Wolf has the rivarly, villain, and possible anti-hero stuff going for him as well as being the more relevant character in the series itself due to him advancing Fox's character and story along while Falco is simply another teammate you have to babysit. I'd personally see Wolf being the one who has more priority, but I feel like Falco might be more of a Nintendo pick, as hard as that is for me to say.

Honorable Mentions: Chrom, Lucina, Corrin (who only beats Lucas and Roy due to Ninty probably looking at the sales of the game, even though I prefer Lucas), Incineroar, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., Banjo, Snake, Ryu/Ken, Joker, Olimar, Dark Pit, and probably a few others.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Pichu,Roy,Dr Mario and Young link should go without saying.

Leaves 6 spots

1. Bayonetta (never liked her, why is she here)
2.Cloud(SE obviously doesn't really want him here with 2 tracks and bad costumes)
3.Incineroar(uninteresting pokemon and we'll get a new one in the next game)
4. Corrin(too much FE)
5.wii fit(great selling game, but we are way past Wii era now)
6. Rosalina(again Galaxy was great, but let's get some new Mario rep)/Bowser Jr/plant

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Not going to mention Mii Fighters due to that being the obvious thing that few people would miss if it was cut.

10. Bayonetta (I don't like this character. She just isn't worthy of Smash Bros IMO. *takes cover*)

9. Corrin (Least hype character ever added. I was tickled at least slightly when Bayo got in, but Coriin..nothing.)

8. All Semi-Clones (Make their stats similar to the fighter they are based on and keep the animations/particle effects different. They need to be alternate COSTUMES Sakurai...not alternate fighters. Seeing Mario and Dr. Mario on the same screen, but as different fighters has NEVER made sense to me.)

7. All Echoes (If Echoes take less work to make then let me follow that line of thinking and crunch them all down into a single fighter time period. Turn them into alt colors with minor changes like fire damage instead of lightning or whatever, but DO NOT give them their own slot!)

6. Wii Fit Trainer (This is one of those things that has always irritated me about Sakurai. Makes completely custom move-set for a nobody character, but can't get some big fan requests in the game. Ex Isaac, Waluigi, Shovel Knight, etc. I have to say it. What a ...WASTE OF SPACE!!..)

5. Pirahna Plant (WHY?!!! Do I need to say more?.......-_-.......)

4. Lucario/Greninja/Inciniroar (JUST ONE of them needs to get the boot. I don't care which one. Pokemon really doesn't need this much representation, and that's a compliment to the magnitude of this popular franchise. It easily gets the point across with just Pika Pika, the Trainer, and Mewtwo...... Hmmmm..... Okay Jiggly, your fine too.)

3. Zelda/Sheik - Samus/ZSS ( I don't want to remove any of these characters, BUT if I could I would return them to a single fighters slot once again. The way that Brawl did the roster was near perfect. We had Zelda who could turn into Sheik and Samus who could turn into ZSS. That was and is the way I think it should always be. So, while not necessarily a cut, it would alter the CSS and make it more like Brawl.....minus the tripping mechanic of course.. *FACEPALM*)

2. Joker.. I guess.. (There are so many awesome 3rd party fighters in this game. And with Hero and Banjo & Kazooie coming up, it was hard to pick even one of them, so I went with the least interesting in my eyes. I realize Bayo is technically a 3rd party as well, but she really doesn't scream OOO and AHH to me or anyone I know that plays Smash.)

1. Palutena (This one is probably controversial. I never liked Kid Icarus. HOWEVER, I am fine with just Pit with a Dark Pit alt. He represents not only the Retro side of gaming, but he is a seemingly iconic sort of character to boot. That's where I would've stopped though. It always felt like Sakurai just threw them in because he made the games... Just my opinion. Palutena felt as lazy as Dark Pit to me due to the fact that Sakurai went the easier route by doing what he knew like the back of his hand. Which is why she got so many damn different special moves when she was first added in Smash 3ds/Wii U. She had enough moves for 3 more unique fighters. Ughh.

The End. ^^

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
8. All Semi-Clones (Make their stats similar to the fighter they are based on and keep the animations/particle effects different. They need to be alternate COSTUMES Sakurai...not alternate fighters. Seeing Mario and Dr. Mario on the same screen, but as different fighters has NEVER made sense to me.)

7. All Echoes (If Echoes take less work to make then let me follow that line of thinking and crunch them all down into a single fighter time period. Turn them into alt colors with minor changes like fire damage instead of lightning or whatever, but DO NOT give them their own slot!)
You do realize that changing things like damage type (Dark Samus, Dr. Mario, Chrom, and Richter losing fire effects, for example) is way too different to be a costume, right? That's not a cosmetic change, but an actual gameplay change, as a move having fire properties actually impacts gameplay (setting off explosives, the way they interact with Red Pikmin, etc).

If you made them costumes, they wouldn't be able to have different effects.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Here are my top ten.

10) TIE- :ultbanjokazooie: and :ultfalcon:. We have passed the days of the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube and these two franchises are deader than Little Mac on Hanenbow. Yeah, the same could be said about :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer: and :ultduckhunt: but those guys represent not just their games, but also the hardware of Nintendo past, pushing them above characters of two series that people keep asking for new installments of.
9) :ulticeclimbers: See what I said about the above, except unlike Banjo or Captain Falcon, nobody really clamors for more Ice Climber games.
8):ultsheik: Sheik was added to make Zelda playable and interesting, but that was dropped in Smash 4. And we still have a playable Zelda. Sheik has outlived his/her purpose at this point.
7):ultlucas:Look, its the only character that never left Japan! If we are cutting characters, we need to keep in mind that Smash is a globally successful franchise, so we can't have characters that haven't hit other countries.
6)TIE- :ultincineroar: and :ultgreninja:. Didn't they make Pikachu the starter Pokemon for Ash because they didn't want one starter to overshadow the others? Well, I guess that Gamefreak and/or Nintendo and/or the Pokemon Company and/Sakurai doesn't! I would prefer if the mascots of each Pokemon generation were random Pokemon in the dex like Lucario, or even let the fans decide who the mascots of each generation of games are.
5):ultpiranha: Do I need to explain? Cool moveset and all, but still would prefer this plant to get cut before a more deserving character, or any of the roster.
4):ultdoc: Look I'm proud that Mario was able to get a medical degree but I don't think that he needs to be doing double shifts in the roster just to pay back the student loans to get it.
3):ultroy:. People complain about :ultcorrin: and how they are an advertising pick, but nobody seems to remember that Roy literally debuted in Smash Bros. Sure it also means that :ultchrom: is cut, but then we don't have to deal with :ultrobin: using :ultchrom: to attack :ultchrom:.
2)TIE:ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:. With the exception of Medical Mario, I avoided adding the clones because they were low hanging fruit. But you know what would be worse than one clone of a character? TWO clones of a character.
1):ultzss: Hey, fans want more Metroid characters. Why don't we add Samus, but like without the power suit?

Dishonorable Mentions (aka why they weren't put on here)
:ultwiifittrainer:- Her games sold more than most of the franchises in Smash. I think that until Breath of the Wild, Wii Fit had more sales as a franchise than Zelda.
:ultvillager:- Yeah Isabelle is the mascot of Animal Crossing now, but we didn't see anything about her (or any of the other NPCs besides Nook) in Animal Crossing E3.
:ultbayonetta:- She was the highest voted realizable character in the ballot when it came to Smash 4 DLC.
:ultcorrin:- Roy took the mandatory Fire Emblem spot that these lists need.
:ultpichu:- Pichu is cute and innocent.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
6)TIE- :ultincineroar: and :ultgreninja:. Didn't they make Pikachu the starter Pokemon for Ash because they didn't want one starter to overshadow the others? Well, I guess that Gamefreak and/or Nintendo and/or the Pokemon Company and/Sakurai doesn't! I would prefer if the mascots of each Pokemon generation were random Pokemon in the dex like Lucario, or even let the fans decide who the mascots of each generation of games are.
I mean, this pretty much IS the case for Greninja. He was far and away the Kalosian favorite within the Pokémon fandom long before his Smash debut. He was especially popular among the competitive community. Japan, in particular, loves Greninja, too, and he was voted the most popular Kalos Pokémon. Add onto that the fact that Greninja had a prominent role in Pokémon's first Hollywood film, and I'd say he's more than cemented himself as an incredibly popular Pokémon. No other Kalos Pokémon even comes close, outside MAYBE Sylveon due to how popular Eevee is.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
heh my time to shine or to..not shine..ahem anyhow my list!

1: :ultpiranha: i just hate this character and i still think alot of other character deserve to be in the game way more then this stupid thing #sorrynotsorry

2: :ultduckhunt: because they are boooooring! and no one would miss these 2 anyway!

3: :ultdoc: no longer relevant :l this character just takes space i mean hell at least the Links are different character wise but this is literally Mario with a doctor costume...

4: :ulticeclimbers: another character that is only kept alive by smash otherwise this character would be forgotten already, time to go and be forgotten!

5: :ultsheik: this 1 kinda hurts to list tbh..but if she won't improve then it's better to be replaced by a character who performs better...

6: :ultdarksamus: is literally Samus but.,.yeah you know.. the DARK version.. would had been better as a costume then a whole character tbh and this franchise has more unique characters..so replace it with a another character instead!

7: :ultlink: this 1 is kinda personal.. with so many people even outside this forum wanting my boi :ulttoonlink: gone the most when choosing a Link to remove..i got a bit salty so yeah if it was my decision it would be satisfying to remove Link,..take that you haters!

8: :ultjigglypuff: not in the games nor the anime anymore.. so time to go Jiggly! you had your fun time to let a new popular pokemon take your place!

9: :ultchrom: hes basically a half clone of Roy & Ike..he needs to go besides i think hes the least liked of the FE characters so the best choice is to kick him out and open the door for Edgelord..eh i mean Edelgard!

10: :ultwiifittrainer:the wii had it's fame but tbh the Wii franchise is dead now..she is only being kept alive by smash currently..so lets remove her and forget her all together..there are many more relevant characters who can take her place!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
3: :ultdoc: no longer relevant :l this character just takes space i mean hell at least the Links are different character wise but this is literally Mario with a doctor costume...
He's literally the furthest thing from irrelevant considering Dr. Mario World is coming out...

9: :ultchrom: hes basically a half clone of Roy & Ike..he needs to go besides i think hes the least liked of the FE characters so the best choice is to kick him out and open the door for Edgelord..eh i mean Edelgard!
This one is just straight up incorrect lol. He literally got in due to fan demand. And he has exactly one of Ike's moves...and not only is it not even an exact match, but it's literally a move Chrom canonically used.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if I was forced to cut characters

1. zero suit samus
2. shiek
3. pichu
4. roy
5. dr. mario
6. Jigglypuff
7. Lucas
8. toon link
9. young link
10. ganondorf ( new ganon replacing him)

did not include echo's due to them being easy to make so it makes little sense to cut them.

special notes:

Piranha plant: like it or not he is an icon of nintendo and has a unique moveset.
fit trainer: same as above, the fit franchise was a big part of the wii's success

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if I was forced to cut characters

1. zero suit samus
2. shiek
3. pichu
4. roy
5. dr. mario
6. Jigglypuff
7. Lucas
8. toon link
9. young link
10. ganondorf ( new ganon replacing him)

did not include echo's due to them being easy to make so it makes little sense to cut them.

special notes:

Piranha plant: like it or not he is an icon of nintendo and has a unique moveset.
fit trainer: same as above, the fit franchise was a big part of the wii's success

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
He's literally the furthest thing from irrelevant considering Dr. Mario World is coming out...

This one is just straight up incorrect lol. He literally got in due to fan demand. And he has exactly one of Ike's moves...and not only is it not even an exact match, but it's literally a move Chrom canonically used.

it doesn't take away the fact that :ultdoc: is literally just Mario only wearing a doctor outfit and sure it's cool and all that a game is coming out all about him, but i feel like hes taking up space while everything about him including his appearance is 100% the same! he should still just be a costume and not a playable fighter

:ultchrom: ok sure maybe i am kinda wrong about him i admit lol but still if i had to pick 1 FE character to remove it would be him cause hes my least favorite of the FE cast in the game.

Top Bottom