• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstools and why you should be using them

CORY

wut
BRoomer
now, if you guys were talking about pure sodium ion, that's a different story. but, as df said, you have to be really specific.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
So, footstools are a great OoS if you are facing away from your opponent. If you have a platform above you you can also do that trick (it is Brawl but the first part, footstool into platform cancel still works. Depending on the character mostly dair is the best followup then.
Also footstooling shields: great as shield pressure! Some characters then can do a downward move while rising (shine works with Fox and Wolf, not with Falco though. Many dairs work especially dairs inducing downward momentum like MK's). Also combine this with the platform cancel for ultimate efficiency!
Also here is an example of the platform cancel in PM.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you can only platform cancel onto moving platforms. so smashville plat, some of drac's, and a couple others. the video you linked in PM is not the brawl platform cancel; that's the melee one where you land with an aerial during its auto cancel frames.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Depending on the opponent's height, yeah, it can be as early as a Frame-1 out-of-shield option. Footstools go through shields in 3.0(2), so it can be pretty useful.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Footstools going through shields is ridiculous. Preemptively shielding against a lucas/yoshi/m2/ness/MK/Wario/Diddy/Tink/snake is just asking to get footstooled into DJC/Footdive/AGT/snakeup-b>dair etc. footstool DJC is so scary.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
As Wario, is there a reason to punish preemptive shielding with a footstool instead of bite?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Footstool >dair allows for different followups than what you can off of a bite. I actually don't know what Wario gets off of a bite, but Dair sets up so many combos and kil options.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FSnulWJuR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPDbJVQYq0

These videos do not show all the options listed below.

Here's a list of combos characters can do after footstooling a grounded opponent--

Lime means that it works on every character.
Yellow means that it either doesn't work on every character, or that I am unsure if it works on every characters. Waveland combos tend to be the iffiest on taller characters, like Ike and Dedede.

Universal (all characters): waveland -> Jab, waveland -> Grab (except for tether grabs)

Mario: Down-B, Waveland -> D-Smash, Waveland -> reverse U-Smash, N-Air
Luigi: Down-B, waveland -> U-Tilt, Waveland -> D-Smash, Waveland -> reverse U-Smash, N-Air, Up-B (sweetspot!)
Peach: Float -> anything, Aerial Glide toss -> lots of stuff, Waveland -> D-Smash
Bowser: Fastfall D-Air, Waveland -> Up-B
Wario: D-Air, Down-B, Waveland -> D-Tilt, Waveland -> Neutral-B, Forward-B
Donkey Kong: Waveland -> Up-B, Waveland -> Dash Attack
Diddy Kong: Aerial Glide Toss -> lots of stuff, Waveland -> D-Smash, Waveland -> Dash Attack, Up-B, D-Air
Captain Falcon: Down-B, Forward-B, Up-B
Link: Aerial Glide Toss -> lots of stuff, Waveland -> D-Smash
Toon Link: Aerial Glide Toss -> lots of stuff, D-Air
Zelda: Neutral-B, Waveland -> D-Tilt, Waveland -> U-Smash, waveland -> D-Smash
Sheik: Waveland -> any tilt, Waveland -> D-Smash, N-Air
Ganondorf: Forward-B, Down-B, Waveland -> F-Tilt, Up-B
Fox: Waveland -> U-Tilt, Waveland D-Smash, Waveland -> Down-B, Fastfall D-Air, Down-B
Falco: Waveland -> U-Tilt, Waveland D-Smash, Waveland -> Down-B, Down-B
Wolf: Waveland -> D-Smash, Down-B, Forward-B (short-cancel sweetspot), Waveland -> any tilt
Zero Suit Samus: Waveland -> any tilt, waveland -> U-Smash
Pikachu: Waveland -> D-Smash, Fastfall D-Air, N-Air
Jigglypuff: D-Air, N-Air, Down-B, Waveland -> move into position -> Down-B
Lucario: Waveland -> OHC silliness, D-Air
Squirtle: Waveland -> any tilt, Up-B
Ivysaur: Waveland -> F-Tilt, Waveland -> D-Tilt, F-Air, D-Air (sourspot), U-Air (meteor hit), N-Air
Charizard: Sweetspot N-Air, D-Air, Up-B
Ness: Double-jump cancel -> all aerials, Up-B, D-Air, N-Air
Lucas: Double-jump cancel -> all aerials, Down-B
Marth: Waveland -> D-Smash, F-Air, D-Air, Up-B
Ike: Fastfall D-Air
Pit: Waveland -> U-Tilt, Waveland -> any Smash, D-Air
King Dedede: Waveland -> U-Tilt, Fastfall D-Air, super-situational Waddle-dashing
R.O.B.: Waveland -> any Smash
Mr. Game and Watch: Up-B, Down-B (only partly-charged), waveland -> D-Tilt
Snake: Fastfall D-Air, Waveland -> F-Tilt, Waveland -> Down-B stick
Sonic: D-Air, Up-B, Down-B hold hitbox
Does this mean Captain Falcon can't Footstool> Dair, but he can Footstool> Grab? Sorry, I'm kind of confused.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does this mean Captain Falcon can't Footstool> Dair, but he can Footstool> Grab? Sorry, I'm kind of confused.
Lime means that it works on every character.
Yellow means that it either doesn't work on every character, or that I am unsure if it works on every characters.

Universal (all characters): waveland -> Jab, waveland -> Grab (except for tether grabs)
Captain Falcon: Down-B, Forward-B, Up-B
D-Air is not on this list, so he cannot footstool -> D-Air.
Footstool -> grab is something that almost every character can do.

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Say I'm trying to edge guard an Ike player and I grab the ledge. He uses up b, the sword shoots up through me because I still have invincibility. Normally, he would make it to the stage fine in front of me. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Can't I literally just drop off the ledge and footstool him to his death?

If this is a thing, there are about to be a lot of angry Ike players in my group.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I don't think he's able to be footstooled during that action. You'd just get the jump height aka 'ghost footstools'
Right. Forgot about the whole "can't be doing something" thing. Though I suppose I could just drop down and do it before they get into aether range. That should work, right?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Right. Forgot about the whole "can't be doing something" thing. Though I suppose I could just drop down and do it before they get into aether range. That should work, right?
What's stopping him from just pressing Up-B before you're within footstool range? That's the problem; anyone looking for it can see the possibility a mile away and start Up-B before you can footstool.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
What's stopping him from just pressing Up-B before you're within footstool range? That's the problem; anyone looking for it can see the possibility a mile away and start Up-B before you can footstool.
Well, my point was that I would get into range before they are within range of the stage for aether. When I say "within range", I mean that if they start aether, they can grab the ledge. If I reach them before that, sure, they can use aether, but they will die.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At that point, they can swing F-Air to protect themselves, or they'd have to use Forward-B to even have a chance of living.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Footstool is cool and I'm posting so Team Rocket is back.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
At that point, they can swing F-Air to protect themselves, or they'd have to use Forward-B to even have a chance of living.
Yep! And if they're too low, which ike players often are, either of those options spells death. If they cope, they do so by recovering higher, and then I can just punish with Marth/Mewtwo Fsmash, Falcon aerials, or sheik needles.

Sounds like a good option to me!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can mash out of paralyzer stun, so the time for ZSS to get you can/should vary greatly.

1FD

Smash Ace
If ZSS waveland into USmash is listed then it seems to me like waveland into UpB should.
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve Wario gets your soul off a Bite
Things like Bite into sour spot Uair DJ Bite to drag you back to the ground and do it again because he likes the taste of your soul so much

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
your signature with what leffen said, where did he say that?
On a twitch chat thing.

Anyways regarding footstools I know Kirby can footstool off of landing his down-b on someone grounded at low percents. Rock -> Footstool -> Rock -> Footstool -> repeat. I don't know if this is a real combo, however.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Can zero suit footstool out of dowb-b? Dont have time to hit the lab and test it, but that would be godlike.

Footstool>WL grab/smash is soo good like damn. Ive been using it out of Diddy's side-b jump and even when I don't do it fast enough, pretty much everyone expects the slap>fair so I get it most of the time.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
AFAIK she cannot footstool out of downB. However, she still has the flipstool from Brawl. I think you just hold B and when you are on top of the victim's head, you bounce off them

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
AFAIK she cannot footstool out of downB. However, she still has the flipstool from Brawl. I think you just hold B and when you are on top of the victim's head, you bounce off them
does flipstool go through shield? If so then I have a whole new pressure strategy I need to work on

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i footstooled a yoshi to kill him at 40ish% today in crews :D

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
IIRC Marth's footstool in Barwlz put most characters in the perfect place for a dAir.

Top Bottom