• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstools and why you should be using them

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
So by doing nothing, that means you can't footstool someone while they are reeling their tether in? If this actually worked that would be hilarious and a complete near to tether recoveries :p

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
About the footstool, footstool->waveland->grab isn't guaranteed apparently. On an average footstool height, your air dodge even takes around six frames to land, followed by ten frames of special landing animation, and together with the grab it makes more than the (character dependent but mostly around) 20 frames of advantage you have.

Also:
Honestly I just forgot looking into it. I did now.

All characters have an 8 frame footstool-jump except for Mewtwo, who has a 6 frame jump. Most characters have 28 frames of lag when jumped onto, except for Dedede, Diddy, Link, Pit, Snake, Toon Link and Ness, who have 27 frames of lag, and Mewtwo, who has 24 frames of lag. Footstooling Mewtwo also only takes 5 frames for every character instead of the usual amount.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Guess I can post this again here. Characters with a Double Jump Cancel can make even further usage of footstools by guaranteeing a follow-up of their choice while the opponent is left helpless. The most important thing about Footstools (in my opinion) is to realize your opponents' shielding opportunities and take advantage of them. One thing I noticed with PKF is that people like to shield if they get hit, so I followed behind it and did a Footstool presumably when Sonic shielded. Jumping through platforms and doing this is also good.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Wolf and falco get a lot more out of encorperating footstools into their shield pressure games than fox as they can still combo out of it.

I put this together for wolf in particular, based it on the spacies shield pressure frame-by-frame thing that was done in like 2010 for melee. reposting it here from wolf boards because footstools

shine>footstool on shield looks like:
(game frame/"frame for wolf" after hitlag)
1 / 1 (shine hits)
2 / hitlag
3 / hitlag
4 / hitlag
5 / hitlag
6 / 2
7 / 3
8 / 4 jump starts
9 / 5 stun ends

10 / 6 (no shield stun)
11 / 7 (no shield stun)

12 / 8 (first airborne frame, footstool begins)
im pretty sure I did it right. might have mis-calculated wolf's shine's shield stun by a frame.

after the footstool, wolf can shine and hit as long as he does it with proper timing right after the 8 or so frames of "footstool-squat" before wolf jumps. Its pretty sick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom