• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FLUDD!

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I would like to see a FLUDD you can aim in different directions, aim it down for a slight boost into the air, aim it at projectiles to divert them, aim it above you to fall quicker, etc.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
We see FLUDD in the game, but will it stay? Who knows, but I think it is a great tool for Mario and for the game in general. First off it can easily mess up a Ness or Lucas if you time the water right. It can mess up any characters recovery, but must be timed very well. That is why I think they need to improve it if they want to keep it. Let it spray more and stay on the character a bit more, so it can be more useful and effective. It can provide mind games when a character decides to use their recovery. They need to be careful otherwise they will loose a stock in the most embarrassing way in Brawl. What do you think? Any more FLUDD lovers out there? Or is it just me? lol
So are we all just going to ignore the fact that the cape exists and does all this better

SuperLuigiTheIntalian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sagablitz
To be honest, I Wasn't really a fan of Mario's F.L.U.D.D. in SSBB cause had no damage to opponents, which i kind of find it disappointing , granted it is useful to push out opponents, but it should cause damage.

Anyways, What do you think should the F.L.U.D.D. have damage or no damage?

Renji64

Smash Lord
It should do damage i rather it be removed the cape is a more fair and skillful way to edgegaurd i rather have a more useful move for down B.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
To be honest, I Wasn't really a fan of Mario's F.L.U.D.D. in SSBB cause had no damage to opponents, which i kind of find it disappointing , granted it is useful to push out opponents, but it should cause damage.

Anyways, What do you think should the F.L.U.D.D. have damage or no damage?
That's like saying Goldeen's splashing around should do damage... it's just water. It's not like he's carrying around a firetruck's hose and shooting opponents with that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's like saying Goldeen's splashing around should do damage... it's just water. It's not like he's carrying around a firetruck's hose and shooting opponents with that.
By that logic, most of Greninja's attacks would do no damage. =P

Real world logic doesn't have to apply here.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
By that logic, most of Greninja's attacks would do no damage. =P

Real world logic doesn't have to apply here.
To rebuttle: I'm pretty sure Greninja's not only throwing water, but shuriken covered in water, at high velocities, which at the point makes water alone capable of causing cuts.

Real world logic doesn't have to apply, but in some cases, should.

If you told me that Mario's F.L.U.D.D did damage to the creatures in Sunshine, then sure... I can see it doing damage in this Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, it was able to defeat some enemies in Sunshine, those blob-like ones which came out the goop.

In any case, FLUDD doing damage would give more reason to use the move.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Is it confirmed in this game? I don't remember seeing it. Honestly I kind of hope it's gone. It's a reference to an old game and it's kind of dumb how it just appears and you can't use other moves based on the FLUDD (Mario with a proper FLUDD could have whole new special attacks based on what the FLUDD could do in Sunshine).

On the same not him having that cape without being able to use it for anything but reflecting is annoying too :p. Again you could give him all new specials if he had it properly.

I kind of wish they'd give him the Spin attack from his recent games like Galaxy and stuff, it would function as a reflector too.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The least they can do is get rid of having to charge it. Is there any footage of Mario having to charge the FLUDD?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well then. Signs are pointing to it being as horrible as it was before. I feel bad for Mario. Having this move really cripples him as a character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would agree that giving FLUDD some damage would be awesome. It gives the player some more incentive to use the attack outside of ring-out tactics. And those can be pretty situational.

Well then. Signs are pointing to it being as horrible as it was before. I feel bad for Mario. Having this move really cripples him as a character.
It seems to have more push back from before, so that could be a plus. I do wonder how you can customize the move though. Imagine it shooting fire rather than water or something like that.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I agree completely; I was pretty upset when they took out the Mario Tornado or whatever his down-B attack was... I liked Sunshine a lot but the move was completely pointless, in my opinion anyway.

Jobe

Smash Cadet
I'd be surprised to see the fludd in the game. He's only used it in one game outside of smash and it hasn't even appeared in one since.

Last edited:

lami

Smash Journeyman
Ok, at 9:21-ish of the Direct, Mario totally does a spin move. I dunno if this is what his Dair looks like now, but it kinda resembled a shortened version of his Melee down b.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Imo the FLUDD should be switchable with a taunt, replace that death animation taunt with Mario jumping on one of those nozzle boxes and switching out. Water to hover to rocket

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
FLUDD is good only for the people that know how to use it, and a lot of people don't. That's why it recevies all this hate.

FLUDD could use a few improvements. Here's what I would do personally.

1) Let it do some damage. I seriously want this the most. I would have more of an incentive to use this attack, and I'm sure others would too. But when it does damage, Mario doesn't make the enemy flinch. Much like Fox's blaster. And the opponent isn't ringed out, at least you can say that you got some damage in on them.

2) Fix the charge time. It shouldn't take so long to use the move. If anything, have it work like Bowser's Flamethrower. Where Mario shoots water as long as Down + B is held. But it looses power if you hold it too long. This would be ideal to me as that's how FLUDD works in Mario Sunshine. Mario holds down the nozzle, and water shooting out until it slowly putters out.

3) Move knockback. Given that this move's main purpose is to push the enemy away, it would make things easier for FLUDD if the push back felt a little more significant.

Hover Nozzle: Someone mentioned giving it some kind of air recovery option. I think that would be interesting. We don't have that many moves that change when used in the air do we? On top of acting as a recovery option, maybe if the enemy touches the water of the hover nozzle, they take damage and are pushed downward.
I think those are pretty good ideas to upgrade this move and I hope that Sakurai makes at least one of these changes

Jackson

Smash Lord
FLUDD is good only for the people that know how to use it, and a lot of people don't. That's why it recevies all this hate.

I think those are pretty good ideas to upgrade this move and I hope that Sakurai makes at least one of these changes
The charge time fix sounds like a legit idea to me.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I still am of the opinion that FLUDD shouldn't be kept in the game, but at the very least it should have some sick buffs to compensate.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
There is never a moment where you should be sitting for a few seconds charging up a move that does no damage, is a one-shot deal and can be shielded, rolled through and jumped over. Punishing a missed Down-B is easy while the very notion of a move that pushes an enemy away while doing no damage and having a chance neither to KO nor have any kind of follow-up or combo is absurdly bad design in a game like this. There's nothing that FLUDD does that cape doesn't do better, since they serve the same basic function and cape doesn't require any charging or as much prediction due to its speed.

Which means FLUDD isn't just bad, it's redundant.

And last I checked, Mario's offstage game is strictly average. If you're saying FLUDD could be used to get people offstage and then dealt with from there, there are far better options to utilize in neutral.

I welcome any counterpoints you can raise, but just looking at what good moves in this game are supposed to be like, FLUDD is probably the worst move any character's ever gotten saddled with. (Falcon Punch at least gets you style points.)

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
I would agree that giving FLUDD some damage would be awesome. It gives the player some more incentive to use the attack outside of ring-out tactics. And those can be pretty situational.

It seems to have more push back from before, so that could be a plus. I do wonder how you can customize the move though. Imagine it shooting fire rather than water or something like that.
Couple the increased pushback with a reduced charge time and we'd have a decent move. There are so many special moves in the games that are plagued by silly decisions it boggles my mind.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Custom movesets will likely matter more for FLUDD than nearly every other special in the game. There could be variants for greater knockback or inflicting damage.

bluekentuckyboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
3DS FC
4914-4914-2667
I would like to see fludd have the turbo nozzle. Mario could be bolted forward, causing damage. However I remember seeing in the Rosalina reveal that the fludd acts exactly the same as brawl. Kinda disappointing :/

thegreatpike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2943-8529
I don't want Fludd to do damage, because I like the idea behind the move: A move that doesn't do any damage, but can be a deadly edgeguarding-tool.
I think the only problem is, that it has not enough pushback to be actually useful. If they would improve the pushback, we had a great move.

MLuigi

Smash Rookie
I want that and the Hover Nozzle to fix Mario's terrible recovery!
1000 times this. While on the ground it would fire horizontally but in the air it gives vertical recovery. They could even make it function the same way his cyclone did in melee or luigis in brawl where you have to spam B to get more height although charging on stage would make more sense.
in any case if we can change the moveset to give him that vertical recovery i'll be just as happy.

Sir Rockalot

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one here who thinks the Ground Pound should be Mario's down b?

I know it's fairly generic but it has been a staple since Super Mario 64. If I had the authority I would make that his down b and then also change his side b cape to the spin from Galaxy, maintaining the reflecting ability but also doubling as the Mario Tornado.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom