• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FLUDD!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They probably made it useful.

I hope.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hopefully they made the pushing effects a bit stronger. Or what if was made more complex and you could use at least 1 of the other FLUDD nozzles, like the Hover nozzle for an alternate recovery.

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
I think it's just a placeholder for a new down special. Especially if it works like it did in Brawl.

BSP

Smash Legend
I have no idea what they changed about it, if they changed anything that is.

I do know that if they're going to stick with squirt nozzle only:
Make FLUDD charge faster, or get rid of the charge altogether, as you never had to charge it in Sunshine
Keep the charging animation cancel-able by only pressing a shield button, but remove the airdodge that follows
Increase the Knockback of the water, significantly if S4 still has Brawl like ledge snaps. Even if you used FLUDD correctly in Brawl, the ledge zones were so big that it usually didn't accomplish anything significant.
Make it do some damage; If Fludd can pump out with enough pressure to oppose gravity, I have no idea why its squirts don't hurt people
Heck, why can't the water's range be unlimited until it hits something solid like a wall or leave the lower blastzone? Water doesn't tend to just dissipate mid-flight.

More nozzles can't hurt of course. Mario can always use more recovery tricks. Fludd is a great idea for Mario and was a good idea in Brawl, but the game's mechanics just made it very difficult to be successful with. Also, they left 3/4 of Fludd's potential untapped.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Somebody else pointed out that Kirby still had his Melee <>B in the early stages of Brawl's development. My fingers are crossed that FLUDD is just there as a placeholder, because I REALLY don't want to see it back.

I just want my Melee main back. :(

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet
FLUDD is disappointing. Mario should be updated with each iteration taking a move from his last main entry game, in this case it should be Mario Galaxy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
FLUDD is disappointing. Mario should be updated with each iteration taking a move from his last main entry game, in this case it should be Mario Galaxy.
Or he should just stick with moves that are recurring across all his games(Fireball, SJP, Tornado), or moves that provide a unique function(like cape).

Mario shouldn't get his moveset overhauled every game just so he can fit the flavour of the month.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
What new moves did Mario actually have in Galaxy that weren't suit related? It's been awhile since I played it.

I would've just been happy if they made the FLUDD charge automatically like ROB's laser. Also, have it turn to hover mode when used in mid-air... that'd be great for aiding recovery a bit and for pushing aerial foes downward.

... also, I don't think it should be aimed if the stream is so fast and constant, it just feels out of control. Straight sideways on the ground, straight downward in the air.

BSP

Smash Legend
Or he should just stick with moves that are recurring across all his games(Fireball, SJP, Tornado), or moves that provide a unique function(like cape).

Mario shouldn't get his moveset overhauled every game just so he can fit the flavour of the month.
Fludd's function is pretty unique. There weren't many pushing moves in Brawl. Again, success was limited because of game mechanics, but it's a good idea and it could work.

I would've just been happy if they made the FLUDD charge automatically like ROB's laser.
It really shouldn't have had to charge. Squirt nozzle never had to.

... also, I don't think it should be aimed if the stream is so fast and constant, it just feels out of control. Straight sideways on the ground, straight downward in the air.
I don't think the stream should be constant. That might be a little too good. There's actual game reason for the stream stopping since it stops in Sunshine after you continue spraying for so long.

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet

Not his entire moveset, maybe just the 1 like FLUDD and also in what games was he able to do the tornado move? I don't recall it in any, unless you're counting tapping Y for the cape spin World as it.
What new moves did Mario actually have in Galaxy that weren't suit related? It's been awhile since I played it.

I would've just been happy if they made the FLUDD charge automatically like ROB's laser. Also, have it turn to hover mode when used in mid-air... that'd be great for aiding recovery a bit and for pushing aerial foes downward.

I don't think there were anything besides jumps, but he could have a move that alters the gravity on either himself or the opponent, like walking on the bottom of platforms for example.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Not his entire moveset, maybe just the 1 like FLUDD and also in what games was he able to do the tornado move? I don't recall it in any, unless you're counting tapping Y for the cape spin World as it.

I don't think there were anything besides jumps, but he could have a move that alters the gravity on either himself or the opponent, like walking on the bottom of platforms for example.

Oh oof, that'd be hell to program... hard to make it worthwhile/balanced. Maybe he should just take something from the new Super Mario World 3DS game... Cat suit, anyone? :p

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It's not from any one specific game. Spinning moves in general are fairly common in Mario games. Mario could Spin jump in Mario World and Sunshine, and obv. there's the spin attacks from the SMG games. That's not even getting into spin moves like the Tanooki/Raccoon tail and cape attacks.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, upon closer inspection of the mario v megaman match, there is quite a bit of lee-way with ledge grabbing. Unless this gets fixed/changed, Fludd needs a large knockback boost.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I looked at the video again, when Mario used the fludd, and I noticed he pushed himself backwards at around 5:54
is it supposed to be an escape tactic now? id much rather use it as an offensive move, but using it to avaid attacks on top of pushing away others could be an interesting take on fludd.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's still possible that Fludd is a place holder. But if it isn't, I really hope it does some kind of damage. That's all I ask for.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Please get rid of the fludd i hate that thing it promotes camping and waiting. I like to fight give me his old down in B or something just as useful that. I'm hoping it is a place holder.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Mario users before FLUDD integration ______________________________________________________________
Mario users after FLUDD integration __________

Enough said.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
FLUDD isn't that bad in Brawl, it had its uses. If they improve it at all I'll be happy.
Agreed. I don't mind FLUDD. It actually has a lot of possibilities to an otherwise straightforward character. The problem with FLUDD in Brawl was it had no knockback power. If they put in Knockback, FLUDD would have a solid use.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Agreed. I don't mind FLUDD. It actually has a lot of possibilities to an otherwise straightforward character. The problem with FLUDD in Brawl was it had no knockback power. If they put in Knockback, FLUDD would have a solid use.

Yeah, more knockback would be greatly appreciated. But I also really, really, want some actual physical damage to actually be dealt when using FLUDD in battle. Even if it's just like 6%. After all, I'm pretty sure that it would still hurt getting shot with high pressure water.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Yeah, more knockback would be greatly appreciated. But I also really, really, want some actual physical damage to actually be dealt when using FLUDD in battle. Even if it's just like 6%. After all, I'm pretty sure that it would still hurt getting shot with high pressure water.
if they get hit in mid-air they could use their recovery again..
so....
WHAT IF
they made the hits like fox's laser blaster? so you could STILL push them back, and if the push wasn't enough you would have still did some damage without upsetting their helpless state? hmm?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
if they get hit in mid-air they could use their recovery again..
so....
WHAT IF
they made the hits like fox's laser blaster? so you could STILL push them back, and if the push wasn't enough you would have still did some damage without upsetting their helpless state? hmm?

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of Fox's blaster. The opponent wouldn't be stunned, but they can be pushed back and receive a little bit of damage. Of course FLUDD shouldn't do crazy damage else it might be considered overpowered. That's how I see FLUDD working ideally. It'd be nice for Mario to have another damaging projectile.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
F.L.U.U.D is a good thing, I like it. And maybe Star Spin will be his down aerial (I dunno here)

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
Meh. Something from Galaxy or even 3D Land / World would be better for Smash 4.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If anything the fludd needs to have WAY more push power and do damage of some sort.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i was very disappointed to see this, HOWEVER i really hope that fludd has an airborne version and a grounded version. The grounded one being the same and the airborne being a small hover like it was in Sunshine.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
i was very disappointed to see this, HOWEVER i really hope that fludd has an airborne version and a grounded version. The grounded one being the same and the airborne being a small hover like it was in Sunshine.
You mean if the FLUDD is used in mid-air, it switches to the hover nozzle and becomes a recovery move?

Well, that would be a major buff to Mario's moveset overall.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You mean if the FLUDD is used in mid-air, it switches to the hover nozzle and becomes a recovery move?

Well, that would be a major buff to Mario's moveset overall.

Yeah that would be pretty cool. Though I'm mostly hoping for some kind of damage being dealt with the move. That is, if it isn't just a placeholder attack at the moment.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There is no reason why Luigi should not have his vacuum if Mario gets his FLUDD once more.

All one has to do, is make FLUDD push more. Then it is useful. Also gives Mario a chargeable special. The Jack of Trades should have a chargeable special.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
A lot of people (myself included) dislike FLUDD as Mario's Down Special and would like to see it replaced, or at least improved on. I thought of a new Down Special move for Mario, based on Super Mario Galaxy.

In Super Mario Galaxy, shaking the Wiimote would make Mario do a quick spin attack. This move could be used as a short double jump or as an offensive attack. I thought this would make a nice special for Super Smash Bros.

The way I imagined it to work in Smash Bros is very similar to how it would work in Super Mario Galaxy. When used on the ground, it's a simple and quick physical attack. Enemies hit by the attack would be knocked to the side.
When used in the air, it gives Mario a small, floaty double jump, much like Super Mario Galaxy. This could be used to help recover.

In Super Mario Galaxy, spinning would attract small objects such as coins and Koopa shells. I think it would be neat to incorporate that feature here. Spinning could draw in items and opponents when they're not close enough to attack; basically the opposite effect that FLUDD had.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom