• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flavorless Mafia: Game Over. Who won?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I actually think Nich's thought process has been very clear and very relateable. He's solid town to me unless something makes me think otherwise. Gheb is still a townlean to me for similar reasons: I can follow and understand his thought process very clearly, but he is a slot that can certainly be reevaluated upon certain flips. For example, I feel like his Garg flop is very crucial to solidifying a read on him. If Garg is scum, that makes Gheb solid town. There is no way a scummer just flips to his mates' slot in the manner he did. If Garg is town, that makes me seriously want to reconsider his slot though and see how and why it'd make sense for him to change when he did.

Marshy loses no appeal regardless of Kary's flip. Idk, with marshy I feel like his play is mar****own enough for me to not feel like looking at his slot any time soon, and Kary flipping town will simply tell me that Marshy was either wrong or scum, with no stronger pull in either direction. His vote to Kary feels natural.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Where did you even get this? I actually think the AtE has been the sketchiest part of his play since he backed off of you, but I feel like his play is enough for me to warrant a IGMEOY vibe moving forward. But I do feel a lil nasty about him + Garg, and don't townread Garg nearly enough to try and cockblock the lynch... But we DO have until Tuesday.

We seem to be between Kary and Garg. Unless Garg comes out of his V/LA with something good I'm thinkin Garg > Kary. They're both flatlines to me, but like July said Garg gives us more answers.

adogfiergbteoiganrgoiadfgmaroigamerglkaerngalern

Ruy.

ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy ruy

stahp
WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY RESPONDED TO J IN YOUR #492. WERE YOU CAUGHT UP OR NOT. I SWEAR TO ****ING GOD IT'S LIKE YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND THE MOTHER ****ING ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

How do you like that for a ****in view guys?
I answered your question. Dude claims I can't understand the English language then completely misreads what I posted to him in plain English earlier on.

I don't care for this stupid back and forth on this point, you wanna throw **** at me after this on that I'm going to ignore it.

Also dunno why you said you put me on hold for my V/LA when my V/LA wasn't til I posted it Friday or Thursday I forget which. You had a problem with me but never tried to mention it once with your back and forth with Honk, not once when I posted to people you tried to confront me? Only right near deadline you even tried?

@Vig: shoot Gorf/Badwolf

Also I did pretty bad in everything that got hosted today, Brawl never got hosted due to low numbers and 1 set up for it :<, I did well in friendlies of Brawl though. Though Brawl Diddy experience helped me in PM.

#HBC | Gorf

Not entirely I posted what I saw on the last page and posted what I thought at the time.
Oh wait no I'm sorry you're right.

I'll get into detail more tomorrow, but ultimately Ruy's play has solely revolved around one player: himself. He's done absolutely nothing to better town, or to scum hunt, or anything of the matter. I've said it once and I'll say it again: his play is defenses and blanket statements about other players. He doesn't care, not even a little bit. He's latched onto me because I am sooooooo easy to latch onto. My play is objectively easy to perceive in a bad light, and I wouldn't be surprised if every scum team I've played against recently has taken the opportunity to say that my play is scummy for things that aren't scummy (like a god damn NL RVS vote, for example), simply because it's easy to dislike my play.

#HBC | Gorf

Oh and him not being caught up by the time he was responding to you, J, tells me that he was quite eager to get his voice heard in some way some how. Literally the only two topics at hand when he responded to you was my VERY beginning play, me being a slot to worry about, and his own hide. I'd think that a townRuy would be complacent with the fact that he shouldn't really say much about his stances and opinions when they're not actually fully developed yet (as evidenced by his lack of having caught up). It feels like he thinks he needs to post, when a townRuy, I would HOPE, knows that he doesn't necessarily need to post the things he was posting when he's not caught up yet.

July

Smash Apprentice
im almost insulted that you think i could really be that naive

im not townreading j by any means and hes still on my ****list. there are two scenarios behind his vote on you a few pages ago

1. he flipped a **** at you misreading him (im going to assume youre usually accurate with him) and he got upset that you were so off base to the point that he believed you were bull****ting a read. i understand this point of view cuz theres been times where i was town and thought 'yo what the **** is this slot really THIS dumb?' when *****s are pushing me

2. hes scum who went into full self preservation and omgusd you with a side dish of hardbody ate for whatever reason

im not sure as to which is likelier at the moment. this is some of the SLOPPIEST play ive ever seen from j. for now im fully onboard with karebear dying tho i still dont like j
I just wanted it in writing what your feelings are on J atm, I wasn’t going to just assume that your read on J had stayed the same when your behavior towards him changed.

@ July July : I'll respond a tad later but my thoughts on how people are looking at me. No, people are not town reading me but they have decided to back off because of my recent play being very different to my earlier play. People don't town read/like me, but they just dislike other slots more and do not consider me the best lynch for D1.

Weird analogy, but I've turned from main dish to side entree if that makes any sense.
I totally understand that, but I just wanted to hear people clarify their reads and what your posts did to affect their behavior. This is mostly for future reference so that if they never mention you as a scumread again, I (or someone else if I’m dead) can look back and say “Yeah, they did say they dropped their suspicions back on D1” or “what happened to the scumread you had on J D1? How did it completely disappear or get ti into a townread after being backburnered?” Same situation if someone says they read you as town based on toDay then jumps on a wagon for you later. I don’t want people to be able to blindly justify their actions in the future by jumping back and saying that they always had a town/scum read on you since our wall battle but they just didn’t say so and that’s totally why their actions are congruent with their previous actions and reads.

Where did you even get this? I actually think the AtE has been the sketchiest part of his play since he backed off of you, but I feel like his play is enough for me to warrant a IGMEOY vibe moving forward. But I do feel a lil nasty about him + Garg, and don't townread Garg nearly enough to try and cockblock the lynch... But we DO have until Tuesday.
I actually got it from this post from you:

J if you are town (which that response is making me think) you are a total flamer. Go ahead and re evaluate but that is a really peculiar way of going about admitting you were wrong to say the least.
This was your first post after J’s AtE-filled post, and it sounded to me like his post had significantly altered your opinion of him in the direction of a town lean. What were you saying/thinking when you made this post, if my assessment is incorrect?

sidenote @ July July you keep calling rid**** red**** and it's the funniest thing ever)
Ha, I can’t even guarantee I’ll stop doing it now, even though you’ve pointed it out. It just feels natural to type it as reddick by this point.

See the thing is, it really is just a gut thing. I have nothing to back things up purely because I do not have Honk's flip. I dislike IR mainly for his push on Honk now that I am reading Honk as a hard-town read. I will give this to Gheb's courtesy though. Gheb has been making good posts, however, they are the type of posts that look good regardless of what he is saying. They are incredibly, as you put it, diplomatic. I see Gheb as the devil's advocate this game on a lot of reads on players. His list of who to die is kind of extensive, but that's Gheb and his hatred towards players he considers "bad" which makes me think of it as null and something he would do regardless of alignment. If he was scum, I would probably bet on one of the names he listed to be a partner of some sort. The only reason I would lynch Gheb is if Honk were to flip in someway in the future and if Honk were to flip town(like I am thinking) it just paints them in a bad light. If Honk were to flip mafia, I would probably let Gheb live till LyLo.
See, I actually disagree with you on the first part, about Gheb looking bad if Honk flips town. I’m not convinced that town Gheb wouldn’t tunnel the **** out of someone he really thought was scum, so even if Honk were to be lynched and flip town that’s not a strong indicator of alignment to me. I do agree with your second part that Gheb has been increasingly diplomatic, or I guess for me, I feel like he’s also just really holding himself back on giving out real details behind his thoughts, reads, and criticisms, which leaves some of his input incredibly unhelpful.

I keep going back and forth on whether I have Gheb as a scum-read or I just immensely dislike his read on Honk. Kind of like you in a sense, I disagree with your reads hard and I find that a tad shocking for a player like you, July. I want to talk about this now since marshy brought it up. His reasoning for his point #1 is truly how I felt when I was writing my case against you. I heavily dislike your read on me because it just seemed fabricated. The fact that you are beginning to re-evaluate yourself on my slot makes me feel much comfier with you then previously because I know ScumJuly is a tunnel-manic. *Side-note: I want to apologize about the JDLR thing if it did hurt your feelings because it seems I may have stepped on a bad spot* You have a way of posting that is just...enchanting when you talk about people and you were just adamantly choosing to sit on your read on me and not budge/nor look at what I was posting and focusing on the buddying of JS. I am a sucker for good logic, that means when people post things that are logic, I am going to read them in a better light than not. I'm one of the only players to see you as scum and have been your scum-buddy multiple times.
It’s hard for me to always respond to your points J, because in all honesty, it’s just hard for me to think about meta at all after all this time. I don’t know if my play is significantly different from what it used to be, but I absolutely feel differently playing than I used to because it feels so much more like a real game now after being away for a while, in that its actually fun and not as stressful (sans typing up walls). But anyways, I can’t guarantee my reads are right, I’m going off of what people are saying and who’s doing what and what I think their intent is and how they’re making connections, but ultimately I don’t know if my reads are correct yet or I’m heading in the right direction until there is a flip, and ultimately neither do you unless your scum (that’s not meant as an accusation, but as a fact that only scum can know whether or not people’s reads are definitely bad on D1). We can test whether my reads are bad compared to yours though and lynch Garg toDay :-)

Also, I wasn’t really upset about the JDLR thing, it just seemed like a really strange point of contention and I also do really like it as a term and and and investigative framework.

You are usually able to read my intent incredibly well and see what I am doing in my posts since you read subtext incredibly well when you are town. I know you said you do not have time to go through a re-read and narrow down at things but if you do ever get the time, I urge you to re-read my slot and isolate me from the rest of the game. Look at why I am doing things and look at my subtext again. I feel that would help you read me. The reason I am saying this is because you still hold me high on your *should die* list.
I make no promises on the reread, but I can try. I’m honestly more interested in your play moving forward though anyways, considering you’ve declared your D1 play horrible and such.

I have two things I would like to talk to you in this post. Let's start with the bolded, if we may. It's mainly just a clarification because in the beginning of the game you thought Kary+J = scum-team and with this sentence, it seems to suggest that you think KaryScum=/=Jscum when GargScum=Jscum *or vice-versa if I am reading you correctly*. Can just be a Yes or No answer pretty much.
I never made explicit connections/scumteams earlier in the game (when my scumreads were just you and Kary) because I didn’t see much of a connection or a disconnect there, you guys just both existed in the same game and both read scummy. The first time I saw a real scumteam as likely was you/Garg, for reasons stated in previous posts (apparent bussing, then apparent backtracking). Now, watching you push for Kary over Garg and really sticking to that, I am inclined to say a Kary/J scumteam is unlikely, and yes I do think that Gargscum=Jscum.

Second thing is actually a thing that I will ask an explanation for. It seems you are leaning on siding with Ruy>Gorf in this situation. Again, I am having mirror thoughts then you on this. Why do you think Gorf would be the more likely to flip scum than Ruy? You say that you do not see the RR case, but what exactly are you not seeing? Do you seriously have that strong of a town-read on Ruy?
Not particularly, I’m actually just sitting back and taking in RR and Gorf’s interactions right now. What Iwas at least trying to convey is that I understand why people are looking into Gorf and the accusations that he’s sidelining or armchairing. Does that bother me all that much? Not really, it doesn’t set off any red flags for me because I don’t see it as insidious, but I can see where people are coming from and I’ll keep and eye out and make sure that I don’t overlook things that might be insidious or actually reveal scum intent. As for RR, I really haven’t seen anything wrong with his play, once again no red flags, but I’m also just not seeing the arguments against RR as being laid out as clearly as they have been against Gorf, so I’m not even sure what I’m missing in the conversation about him but I feel like I’m missing something. I can’t say with confidence who would be more likely to flip scum than the other, and I think both are less likely than you, Garg, and Kary to flip scum, so they are both situated squarely in the “would not lynch” area for toDay and I just plan to keep a better, more critical eye on them going forward.

One read I cannot recall from you is your Nich read. Can you update me on that? Thanks.
He’s leaning pretty far town for me, in large part because he was one of the first people to blow the lid off of the Honk wagon and expose the flaws in it, and I found his case on Garg genuine and compelling. So in essence, I’ve really liked his reads and the reasoning behind his reads.

July

Smash Apprentice
Update on my last post: I was still typing while Gorf posted his #565 and #566, but his read on RR is exactly what I looking for when I said I felt like I was missing the case and the red flags raised by RR. Gorf summarizes that RR has been playing in a self-centered manner that doesn't benefit town, which isn't something I had picked up on by myself but its an accusation I'll look into and can understand nonetheless.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I love walling with July. Like I don't mean to wall but she is a player after my own heart in needing to type a lot to get their point across. Regardless of what's going on in the game, it's pleasure. I will respond when it's not 4am in the morning my time. Mainly because of this I have noticed with me returning to DGames:

July said:
I absolutely feel differently playing than I used to because it feels so much more like a real game now after being away for a while, in that its actually fun and not as stressful (sans typing up walls).
Anyways, gnight thread, see ya tomorrow around the same time.

Inglorious Retards

Gheb_01|JTB
[...] I haven’t seen anything assiduous about his play or the way he’s interacted with players, at most he’s been sidelining, but that’s based off of what other people have gotten from him and I haven’t gotten that vibe. Maybe it’s because I feel like he’s one of the players that has weighed in most consistently on thread happenings and has actually made connections with players, which has given me the feeling that he’s been involved and contributing in a positive manner. I can look into him more though, that’s one read I’m willing to keep and eye on.
No, I trust you to be able to make the right call here without giving him any special treatment.

You need to be more blunt here, I can’t read minds. You’ve been real laid back and at times cryptic with your reads and what you’re thinking ever since the Honk wagon blew up. What explaining do I have to do yet? In a bit more detail than what you’ve given here, can you explain your thoughts on the back and forth between J and I, other than that it made both of us look bad (did it look TvT , TvS? Why don’t you think that J’s AtE will be of any consequence in this game, even though it would be guaranteed death elsewhere? And, how do you really feel about Honk, because you seem resigned to the fact that they aren’t going to die for a while but you also don’t seem over your scumread on them, so where are you standing on them in all honesty? And finally, of the people you are okay with lynching, do you have a scumread on any or all of them, or is it all about utility?
1.) re: You vs J and having some explanation to do ... maybe I was a bit premature in saying that as your back and forth with J isn't even over yet. The main explanation I was waiting on was how you draw the conclusion that voting NL is conclusive towards hunting scum in Ryu's case. But this point has fallen flat since it looks like you've confused things, which I guess is already the explanation [even though not the one I expected]. Another explanation I'm actually curious about now though is how it affects your read on Ryu. Isn't calling out the NL vote a legit move?

2.) I said that the back and forth between you and J made neither of you look good. That means as much as "not pro-town" vs "not pro-town" to be 100% precise. The amount of walling alone makes my head spin and will make this game a nightmare to reread. J has thrown out massive AtE and his reads seem to change like the weather. Your reads are unclear to me and not very agreeable as a whole I think. The few reads I remember you offering [Jscum, Gorftown] seem wrong to me at this point. Garg can die but I can't give anybody credit for figuring that one out.

3.) I think J's AtE will be of no consequence [and hasn't really been yet] because compared to what other people it seems really unremarkable. Between all the slots that we're better off getting rid of, J's AtE seems pretty minor. I don't think that'd be the case in other games.

4.) Scumreads come and go. Honk can live for now, that's all I can say about it. I think all the people I mentioned as lynch candidates have been suspicious at one point of another of this Day.

Can we lynch Garg instead of Kary? I think both will provide information, but I just don’t completely have faith in J, despite the last couple pages, either in his town read on Garg (if J is town) or that the whole scumread/reread/townread isn’t a complete backpedal away from bussing (if J is scum)
This point is moot because you shouldn't trust in J's townread on Garg regardless of J's alignment. Garg's flip will not tell you anything about J's alignment, though the reread being an attempt to backpedal on his pervious reads is an option worth speculating on. But I don't think that Garg's flip will provide any info that could help us answering this question.

:059:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Aight so I dipped for a couple of days, and for that I apologize. I've just been avoiding this more than anything not least because I'm not really enjoying it, honestly. But I signed up for this, and more than anything I feel bad to let down my man Ranmaru. So i'm back mother****ers and you're gonna have to deal with it.

Now by the looks of this ************, all y'all want to lynch me, for reasons I'm yet to dig up. I'll get there, don't you mind, but you know the one thing I was curious about?
Did Badwolf post anything while I was gone? Did Nabe? Now don't get me wrong, I have some sympathy for the latter, replacing in.

But the point still stands. Half the reason I didn't want to look at this **** again is because it's a joke. A bunch of you wanting to lynch me just goes to show that. Hell, I am a better lynch than someone who has literally done ****, b/c at least you learn something from my flip. I came into this game saying I didn't want to quicklynch some suckers b/c I'm tired of the same old stupid mistakes. But if the alternative is they just coast and coast and weigh the whole thing down, I'll be damned. This is definitely gonna be my last normal mafia game for a long while, because playing a weeks long game like this is a commitment, and if you can't hack it (which i'm having doubts that I can), why the **** are you in the playerlist.

AIght I'm gonna actually read the last 6 pages and let you know how it is. I've got 45 minutes here so apologies if I skip over parts of your essays.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Well **** me sideways. I thought this catchup might be a struggle, but J has never been scummier, so whatever I missed I can save for later.

I've read J's post, or at least most of it. It might not fully concern me but I've been pretty suspicious of him based on his read on Jakestan. Reading J based on post by post isn't going to get you anywhere because J is so familiar with bull****ting a point to the extremes that he'll fluff up any argument he can to get on someone's side. J actually tends to throw himself out there and play aggressive with people that give him flak more often as scum than town, and he even said himself his D1 play is not best, but the difference between a town D1 J and a scum D1 J is that a town D1 J has no need to elaborate on points that he doesn't find interesting or worthwhile, but here, J seems rather focused on getting every single thing out there for no reason. This is why walls are bad and misleading, and scum can just type as much as town can. That's the feeling I get while reading that post, and all of being said, is actually nothing being said.
^ what this guy said.

I'm sorry, I've dug myself way too far into the ground and I doubt I can submerge from this one without being lynched and I will just be a distraction slot for the rest of the game.

*sigh* Lynch me. My flip will gain information for town and help you guys win in the end. The least we can do is use the rest of this dayphase to find out who actually is scum. I'm being completely honest and saying that I am not scum. I have just played a terrible D1 and I am floundering like a fish since I haven't been under pressure in mafia in forever. The least i can do is lead a paper trail to the wagoners on my lynch, but I am going to try and give this game another read-through.
Calling yourself out for how bad your post and play are, doesn't make your play any better. Hell, what even motivates this whiplash-quick change of heart?

You pour your time and energy into the great wall of china and then you sell it on for sixpence? Or are you just pouring time and energy into trying to save your scummy a$$

Vote: J

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Going to think where my vote should go. I doubt I would be able to swing 1/2 of these so it seems I am mainly coming down to which one of Kary/Nabe would be my preferred lynch toDay.
I really need Kary's flip to solidify my read on marshy's slot, so I won't be moving from this wagon for toDay. I gain more, personally, out of this lynch out of any other wagon.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Where I'm at right now:

Town > Red Ryu > Gorf, Gheb

Town lean > Honk > Nich > July, fromarsh

Straight Null > BW

Scum > J > Garg or Riddic > Nabe

Feel like one of my town leans is probs. scum, but then again I always have that kinda feeling in games.

I'll take questions, to be honest my catchup is mostly just saying 'you're wrong' or 'this is good' and it probably doesn't progress the game right now.

rid****ulous

Smash Journeyman
Ayo kary explain that garg or ridic a bit more, what are you feeling there? How does the one flip affect the other and which way are you leaning atm?

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Ayo kary explain that garg or ridic a bit more, what are you feeling there? How does the one flip affect the other and which way are you leaning atm?
Wow that's a weird turn of phrase.

I'd be surprised if you're both scum together. I'd lean towards lynching Garg just from the shape of the waggons, but I'd need to reread your argument and your interactions with J

#HBC | Gorf

July said:
This was your first post after J’s AtE-filled post, and it sounded to me like his post had significantly altered your opinion of him in the direction of a town lean. What were you saying/thinking when you made this post, if my assessment is incorrect?
That post was me giving J the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, no, the particular post DIDN'T make me inclined to think of em as town. It was kinda uncomfortable to read, honestly, which is why I mentioned that it's peculiar. I just wanted em to reread on a fresher head cuz, ayy, who knows, maybe I'm wrong about that post giving me bad vibes on J (still undecided, waiting for further thread development to take a stance).

Hey Gheb can you stop thinking I'm ****ty at mafia for one second and give me a read on Ruy that stems past his need to shut the **** up? Cuz I DO agree that he does need to shut the **** up! But I want his neck around the noose for what he's been saying and I'm not sure if you've clearly stated it (also sidenote what is up with your account man?!)

Inglorious Retards

Gheb_01|JTB
Everything's OK with my account. I'm just not on my regular computer and idk my password. I'll be able to play under my regular account tomorrow again.

I haven't actually tried to read Ryu yet tbh. I never try to read all players on Day 1 and will not concern myself with him or you toDay anymore.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Votecount 1.12

frozenmarsh751
July:
Gorf:
Kary:
Gheb, Frozenmarsh751, Honk, J
Honk: Gargalione
Rid****ulous
Nicholas1024
Gheb_01: Badwolf
J: Kary
BadWolf:
Gargaglione:
Rid****ulous, Nicholas1024, July
Nabe: Red Ryu
Red Ruy: Gorf

Not voting:
Nabe

Notes:
Ryu's V/LA ends today.

*= Currently being replaced
**= V/LA

With 13 players, it takes 7 votes to lynch
The deadline for Day 1 is April 16th, at 11:59 PM

Last edited:

#HBC | Gorf

Btw, let me be the one to say that Garg's activity will be scarce to the point of possibly (and understandably if he takes this route) replacing out. He got mugged a couple of days ago and the mugger took his phone, so he obviously can't mobile post for the next while.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Damn. Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad he is ok at least.

Last edited:

frozenmarsh751

frozenflame751|marshy
unvote
fos red ruy

scummy as ****

im rereading this ****ing game soon (im on like page 6). finna get at frozen soon and finally decide on a direction cuz ive had to waste time and energy this dayphase wagoning people not doing **** just to get anything worthwhile from them. now that i can actually play mafia instead of babysitting worthless mother****ers lets see whats crackin

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Request replacement

I can't do this with my upcoming work week and what I know I need to do for school.

Can't add this to my plate.

Inglorious Retards

Gheb_01|JTB
Great, so we're going to have to deal with the replacement of two slots that are quite relevant toDay. We need some concrete info right now, not new people that blur our reads even further ...

Inglorious Retards

Gheb_01|JTB
Vote Gargaglione

This is where I'll keep my vote now. I want to see him gone. I want to see his flip. I'm overall fine with the wagon and the people who are on it now. Let's lynch him and Fanny replace in for Ryu.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Also

@ ranmaru ranmaru I apologize for the replace out I didn't think work was going to throw at me borderline full time hours this week when I'm suppose to be part time :/. On top of my school work I gotta get done this week.

Top Bottom