• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Choke Follow Up Guide

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Updated:

http://imgur.com/9LhItgJ

A few qualifying statements.

Obviously you can tech it, which is kinda annoying...but in case they don't hit the tech...

Diddy can cancel out of everything with neutral B. Megaman can do the same with up B. Not sure who else has hitstun cancelling moves. Rosalina seems to be able to hit us out of any followups with Luma.

Roll distance was based off of how far they ended up behind me. I assume rolling away is the same distance. A few characters are listed as "terrible" for roll distance which means they actually end up in front of you when trying to roll behind you.

For Roll Away followups, if it says "Yes" then Side B can be buffered against some people (assuming they also buffer the roll away), If it says "Yes (run)" and their roll is average or worse you could also pause before starting up the side b. If you do it too early, you'll go past them. For those with good rolls, you actually have to run a bit to catch them.

If they try to roll towards you, there are plenty of followups for hitting them AFTER the roll like SH d-air, F-smash, etc. Get creative. The ones I included hit them before they roll. Same applies for getup attacks.

Also Olimar seems to be the only one I get free D-smash on regardless of what he tries.

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
I 1v1 a Captain Falcon main constantly, and I can never seem to land Flame Choke > Dtilt even when he doesn't tech. Do I just suck?

Exalted

Smash Lord
I 1v1 a Captain Falcon main constantly, and I can never seem to land Flame Choke > Dtilt even when he doesn't tech. Do I just suck?
A possible explanation is that if you're not buffering your inputs the D-tilt will likely come out slower than it would if you had buffered it.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
The training mode will register Flame Choke into Dtilt as a true combo, but certain characters can escape with human input. Haven't been able to hit Sheik, Captain Falcon, or Ike with a Dtilt after a Flame Choke if they immediately do a wake up attack or roll. It is a guaranteed combo against certain characters though like Sonic and Kirby. Not sure why they made it like this so that it only works on certain characters like that...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The easy method: Don't tilt the stick all the way down when press attack.
Tilt it only like 20% down from the center and mash attack.
You can practice this by sparring in the air with Ganon. You'll se him Dtilt without crouching.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I've had troubles getting guaranteed D-tilt on Greninjas after flame choke when playing For Glory, and I know it's been frame-perfect, because the games were literally running in 1 frame per second

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm having huge issues against Ganondorf because of this combo (Playing Sonic)! How do I prevent myself from getting murdered by this as frequently?

Last edited by a moderator:

James N.

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5335 0867 6499
A possible explanation is that if you're not buffering your inputs the D-tilt will likely come out slower than it would if you had buffered it.
Not to sound like a noob, but how do you go about deliberately buffering attacks? Isn't buffering a mechanic that's always in the game?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm having huge issues against Ganondorf because of this combo (Playing Sonic)! How do I prevent myself from getting murdered by this as frequently?
You can tech it by pressing R as soon as you hit the ground. Other than that, not much you can do. Just don't get choked. :p

D

Deleted member 245254

You can tech it by pressing R as soon as you hit the ground. Other than that, not much you can do. Just don't get choked. :p
Gonna get a friend to use it on me over and over until I have the tech timing completely downloaded. Thanks!

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Most of this is wrong. Even if the opponent doesn't tech, whether those three moves can hit or not depends on what the opponent will input.

For example, Ike would avoid DTilt if he were to roll away or getup attack.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Most of this is wrong. Even if the opponent doesn't tech, whether those three moves can hit or not depends on what the opponent will input.

I see what you mean. I tested it out against my CF main friend and even the buffered Dtilt never hit him when he used a wakeup attack. More in-depth testing has to be done.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616

Doesn't work on Greninja either, unless I'm just awful at buffering.

Meanwhile, I was able to consistently d-smash Olimar just like Brawl. Needs confirmation.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Usually I follow a Flame Choke up with a down tilt, you know his leg sweep, then I go for a finishing smash attack or kick in face.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Marth, Greninja and Lucina do not get guaranteed follow-ups. Probably other characters too, but I haven't been testing this. Go for a shield > jab or dash attack/ganon kick if they roll away. If you get flame choked, just roll the opposite direction Ganondorf is standing, which is the hardest place for him to attack in my opinion

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You guys should also test whether or not you can get followups off of tech rolls if you guess correctly.

Once you play against Ganon for a little bit it becomes really easy to tech the flame choke, so it would be a good idea to know what you can do to stop that (Besides another FC, which I assume would work).

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't work on Greninja either, unless I'm just awful at buffering.

Meanwhile, I was able to consistently d-smash Olimar just like Brawl. Needs confirmation.
Yeah whoops. I guess this is only if they don't tech. I can test what happens if they do this weekend. I have another 3DS with smash on it. What would be the best way to test this? Is there a way to slow the game down so I could do both sets of inputs (the tech and the buffered followup)? I can tech it sometimes if I overlay the two consoles, but it's not ideal haha

Edit: I can also test d-smash and then maybe sort the characters by their roll distance and see which follow ups are possible if they miss the tech and go for the getup attack, roll away, roll toward, or simply get up. Also going to see whether each getup attack is away then towards, towards then away, or simultaneous. I'll probably update this Sunday once I get reliable enough data.

Last edited:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I was wrong about the down tilt followup not working on DK. It only misses if they tech.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I've been playing 1 vs 1 online and noticed Choke to Down tilt doesn't work against: DK, Marth, Lucina and Greninja. Proabably others too. These characters can use their get up attack right away, but! you can counter this by shielding than grabbing them after their get up attack. Works pretty much every time. But don't do it too much cause it would eat your shield up pretty fast.

BANCHEEE

Smash Rookie
I usually do flame choke to dtilt right off the start of the game but if it doesn't work then I'll try something else. But if they don't tech the choke I almost always go for dair

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I usually early grab and shield, just to see what the opponent first does, then later in the match I grab and techchase with whatever feels most likely. Works pretty well.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Yeah, a good combo I found against people who aren't good at reading/air dodging is Choke > Dtilt > SH Dair. That's literally around 45-50% in a matter of seconds, but again against less experienced players. And this is only against characters that the dtilt option works on/if they dont tech.

Last edited:

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Still testing stuff. but just fyi, there are guranteed followups on Greninja :D. if they buffer the roll away, you can buffer side b to get another choke. if they buffer roll towards, you can get f-tilt and d-tilt

Updated OP with example output. Any suggestions for what else to test?

edit: rolling is easy to test since i can just hold the control stick. with getup attack i can mash a to do it asap. teching is tougher since im so focused on hitting the tech that im not sure im buffering ganons input.

Last edited:

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Necromancing here, but if anyone has any idea about followups to successful techs that would be useful too. I'm sure theres a few character specific followups on a successful tech. (For instance Its possible for some characters to tech away and be hit by an unbuffered wizard foot, while others remain unharmed) I'd be willing to test collaboratively as I don't think I have enough free time to do all the characters in a timely fashion.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Necromancing here, but if anyone has any idea about followups to successful techs that would be useful too. I'm sure theres a few character specific followups on a successful tech. (For instance Its possible for some characters to tech away and be hit by an unbuffered wizard foot, while others remain unharmed) I'd be willing to test collaboratively as I don't think I have enough free time to do all the characters in a timely fashion.
:4bowser:, :4littlemac: and :4mewtwo:all get hit by D-tilt on tech away.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I love it when players dont tech and buffer a get up attack, easy SH Wizard' foot. This kills my smash buddy (mewtwo) pretty reliably at around 70% or so.

theburningstars

Smash Rookie
NNID
theburningstars
Would a reverse warlock punch on a slow roller like Samus be viable or is the read just too out there for it to matter?
I ask because when I face opponents, they get "trained" to the dtilt and SH wizard's foot quickly.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Would a reverse warlock punch on a slow roller like Samus be viable or is the read just too out there for it to matter?
I ask because when I face opponents, they get "trained" to the dtilt and SH wizard's foot quickly.
Im not entirely sure it'll reach, sure Samus' roll is slow but it goes a ways, and its not that slow. I can see a Samus power shielding the hit as well if the roll doesn't get them away. However I cant really say, Because as a Samus main I won't let Ganon get the flame choke off. He's gonna have to make it through my Zair spacing, bomb traps and SHAD's before he can get close enough for the choke. Every Ganon I've fought hasnt been able to consistently land that move on me to the point where I can give you specifics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom