• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIU Brawl Spring Tournament 2 - Miami, FL (Currently on Hold...)

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
yall aint 13 yr olds in a middle skool shouldnt be no problem wit dat

-- try to get everythin straight .. best of luck cuz i was hoping FIU tourneys could be like SFL gigs since orlando is fukkin 4 hours away

nevershootme

Smash Master
yall aint 13 yr olds in a middle skool shouldnt be no problem wit dat

-- try to get everythin straight .. best of luck cuz i was hoping FIU tourneys could be like SFL gigs since orlando is fukkin 4 hours away
uh... well FIU is a state university, so doing so will be a 3rd degree felony as what the statute says on gambling. and in the past we've run tournaments with money involved, but an angry stupid ***** is being stupid on it and now throws that **** at me !

so now im gonna have to find a loophole around this

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
i got your loophole.

A) call the cash "Prizes that were predetermined" then take the extra cash asside giving it to proper rankings and such.

B) look into those visa credit cards good anywhere ****, that u can put money on, collect tourny money, use that money to get cards online, and mail them to winners. after the tourny, get 1st 2nd and 3rds mail address and phone numbers for mailin the stuff....

just an idea.

worst comes to worst u can always make it reg. good prizes, like gift cards to walmart (everything is there) or games and ****.
as long as theres something to win, its a competition.

as long as theres something GOOD to win, its a GOOD competition.

nevershootme

Smash Master
w/e in the past it has been done with cash pots and ****. but lately there's that ***** been throwing **** at my face to **** things up.

Im not turning the FIU tourney into a gay PnT tournament with lame prizes. if all else we're just gonna make a **** trophy for all i care as the prize and call an end to FIU running video game tournaments

nevershootme

Smash Master
Then I can't really pull an fiu tournament lol. A lot of the players that came last week live in south miami and wouknt drive several miles north to zp or nexus for a tournament. Ill post tommorow morning on the email I was given about it constituting as gambling...
Btw. It sorta is because it does involve the transaction of money as it states by law. U probably don't know it because u don't care anyways. Perhaps I might as well hold a tournament where the prize is sf4 arcade stick and game. But by law it shoots it down. So god**** let me summon phoenix wright for this

Ruuku

Smash Lord
i got your loophole.

A) call the cash "Prizes that were predetermined" then take the extra cash asside giving it to proper rankings and such.

B) look into those visa credit cards good anywhere ****, that u can put money on, collect tourny money, use that money to get cards online, and mail them to winners. after the tourny, get 1st 2nd and 3rds mail address and phone numbers for mailin the stuff....

just an idea.

worst comes to worst u can always make it reg. good prizes, like gift cards to walmart (everything is there) or games and ****.
as long as theres something to win, its a competition.

as long as theres something GOOD to win, its a GOOD competition.
We already thought about all of those options. Right now we mainly need some further explanation on that law. Prizes other than cash wouldn't be bad as long as that idea doesn't turn players away from the event.

why not collect the money outside of FIU and distribute winnings outside of FIU?
The main issue is about the advertising. What you must know is that FIU events usually are hosted for FIU students first then for the rest of the community. Through PMs, letting people know that money is involved in a secretive way is possible. But only for the smashboards community and for the FIU students that we personally know. What about the people seeing the flyers around campus? We can't advertise money on the flyers.

Wait wait, tournaments are gambling?

How theres no luck involved....
I think that saying that there is no luck involved is simply wrong. But that is somewhat irrelevant since whether there is luck involved isn't what determines possible gambling. From my understanding, the problem comes from wagering something of value hoping to win an extra item of value. To be honest, this law never made sense to me as it really just make gambling sound like what an investment is.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Hmmm well that's kind of gay

I mean we could do a "no money tourney", but the guy hosting it doesn't want it.

And there is no were else we can hold it, an internet cafe near by of idk anywhere.

btw I vote Singles, MK not banned (A low tier will win a MK tourney)

I know SF4 will be out by then and I hear that people at FIU will pick it up, will there be SF4 friendlies?

Lets have GNT 4 and Ex3

nevershootme

Smash Master
Hmmm well that's kind of gay

I mean we could do a "no money tourney", but the guy hosting it doesn't want it.

And there is no were else we can hold it, an internet cafe near by of idk anywhere.

btw I vote Singles, MK not banned (A low tier will win a MK tourney)

I know SF4 will be out by then and I hear that people at FIU will pick it up, will there be SF4 friendlies?

Lets have GNT 4 and Ex3
Look, i can host the tourney regardless, but there are chances of still charging a door fee to participate, but no pot fee that's all. and what seems to be the point of running it if there's like a junk prize.

internet cafes are pretty much nonexistent in the miami area lately, there was used to be a lan center across from FIU, but it got shut down. there's one at sunset place, but they're pricks anyways (even negotiated about holding a brawl tourney, but they can't do a huge pot and will **** the pot hard, not to mention their tv's are laggy and don't know what are component cables adn they think they know about video games)

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Look, i can host the tourney regardless, but there are chances of still charging a door fee to participate, but no pot fee that's all. and what seems to be the point of running it if there's like a junk prize.

internet cafes are pretty much nonexistent in the miami area lately, there was used to be a lan center across from FIU, but it got shut down. there's one at sunset place, but they're pricks anyways (even negotiated about holding a brawl tourney, but they can't do a huge pot and will **** the pot hard, not to mention their tv's are laggy and don't know what are component cables adn they think they know about video games)
Well there is one nearby were I live, next to the kendall ice arena, we can see about there they used to hold Yu-gi-oh turneys a while ago so yeah.

And about no pot, Personally I don't mind I go to get better and play different people that aren't ADHD and Oni.

Deflect

Smash Cadet
Well there is one nearby were I live, next to the kendall ice arena, we can see about there they used to hold Yu-gi-oh turneys a while ago so yeah.

And about no pot, Personally I don't mind I go to get better and play different people that aren't ADHD and Oni.
Yea, I've been to that LAN place, it's called PC something, idk. It's pretty small. Why is it even still there, rofl.

nevershootme

Smash Master
it's not happening at all and I explicitly said on the title of the post saying it's on hold, so who the **** knows when it's gonna happen, i still haven't even resolved the **** with the university and not to mention im officially omega super busy for good until april

ruiisu

Smash Rookie

My cousin and I had a great time at a FIU tourney you guys hosted last year. Hopefully it all works out soon! Wii would like to play! :chuckle:

PS: Option 3

Top Bottom