• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
New Fire Emblem If content!
http://serenesforest.net/2015/06/09/fire-emblem-famitsu-11th-june-leak-familiar-faces/
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/09080329.html

It appears Nohr has the callbacks to Awakening with the recent reveal of characters such as Lazward and Odin. While I'm not bothered by them, I hope they are introduced in moderation. I would hate for If to be over saturated by the 2nd Gen kids.

The girl pictured above is named Pieri who seems to be a very violent cavalier from her description. The prison mechanic sounds as if (no pun intended) that you have the ability to capture generic enemies on the battlefield.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
WRT the prison: Apparently 2 characters (Orochi and Zero) can capture enemies and send them to the prison in your My Castle. You can then recruit the captured enemies to your team. Though you can't capture bosses.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Oooh, an FE discussion thread? I guess I'm jumping in a bit out of context, but I just started Shadow Dragon :marthmelee: (the first Fire Emblem I've ever played in earnest). I'm really enjoying it a lot, and I hear most of the other games are even better, so that's encouraging too. I look forward to catching up on the series and joining in the hype of the forthcoming games! :040:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

If we don't get any information at E3, we riot!! But I'm really looking forward to this game, I can see it doing even better than Awakening. Right now my biggest worry is how the stories will go. I honestly hope you have to kill some of the Hoshidans in the Nohr path and kill some characters of Nohr in the Hoshido path. Like if you had to kill Marx if you side with Hoshido, or kill Ryouma if you side with Nohr. That'd be great, not because I like seeing people die, but it would make the story so much more emotional. I think it would be pretty disappointing if everything worked out nicely in the end. The more emotional it gets, the better. I'm totally for all the changes that they've been adding to the game. I'm pretty excited, just mad that we have to wait until 2016.

I am sort of glad to see JPN actually having a much higher content of what seems to be its own country lore in this game. It always felt as if most games that come overs sees ends up taking much of its lore from other countries.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm liking the English VAs. I was a bit worried about them but they seem fine.

I am still confused on why such different release times. Nintendo in the past has been releasing games in NA/JPN at pretty much the same time. Its almost like pre-wii release time schedules.

カワシさん

I am still confused on why such different release times. Nintendo in the past has been releasing games in NA/JPN at pretty much the same time. Its almost like pre-wii release time schedules.
Well, there are two versions of the games (Nohr and Hoshido) so basically they're translating two games over to multiple languages. That's probably why, well at least for If.

Well, there are two versions of the games (Nohr and Hoshido) so basically they're translating two games over to multiple languages. That's probably why, well at least for If.
I looked back at previous FE games. Its sort of always been like this. I guess I was thinking of large title launchers like WiiU or Mario Kart 8. FE is still a smaller department I guess. However, it seems to be becoming a larger seller for Nintendo if they are willing to try doing pretty much 3 games simultaneously.

And you are right. FE usually has very heavy dialogue.

Last edited:

カワシさん

I looked back at previous FE games. Its sort of always been like this. I guess I was thinking of large title launchers like WiiU or Mario Kart 8. FE is still a smaller department I guess. However, it seems to be becoming a larger seller for Nintendo if they are willing to try doing pretty much 3 games simultaneously.

And you are right. FE usually has very heavy dialogue.
I looked up the release dates for Mario Kart 8 and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Apparently, MK8 was released in Japan, North America, Europe, and Australia between 5/29 and 5/31 of 2014. That's very close together, compared to Fire Emblem Awakening, where the NA version was released about 8 months after the JP version, and the European and Australian versions even later. My guess is that due to the complex dialogue and everything else, it takes about 6-8 months to translate to the NA version at least, so then about 12-16 months for two of those games (according to Nintendo, If is coming to NA in 2016). Maybe, that's just my theory. Also, if you have a Japanese 3DS you could get If on the 25th of this month, but you'd have to understand Japanese to understand a lot of dialogue, and my skills in Japanese aren't good enough to understand what's in it. Nice job, brain XD.

Also, you have a good point when you say that FE is becoming a large seller. Fire Emblem Awakening (the latest one, as you probably know) is the most popular FE game, and apparently from what I've heard, a lot of people got into FE due to Awakening (I personally found out due to Smash, gg Sm4sh).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nintendo magazine in Japan has some FE if stuff. I'm trying to translate some of the stuff, seems like marriage and children is back in this game.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The marriage and children returning in Fates is my only concern. I wish it was an Awakening-only deal.

It won't affect my purchase of the game but I'm slightly disappointed.

カワシさん

Nintendo magazine in Japan has some FE if stuff. I'm trying to translate some of the stuff, seems like marriage and children is back in this game.
The whole family system is an interesting feature of FE. Looking forward to it.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
"Borrowed" from Serenes Forest but these are some of the confirmed English names for some of the characters shown:

Kamui - Corrin*
Elise stays the same
Garon stays the same
Marx - Xander
Gunter stays the same
Felicia stays the same
Kamui's sword is Ganglari. He has no dragonstone.
Rinka - Rinkah
Suzukaze - Kaze
Leon - Leo
Camilla stays the same
Ryouma - Ryoma
Hinoka stays the same
Nohr's capital is Castle Krakenburg
Joker - Jakob
Cyrus - Silas
Harold - Arthur
Elfie - Effie
Blue-haired Maid- Flora

*Likely a placeholder name used by the Treehouse employees when playing the demo. Unconfirmed at the moment.

Some of the name changes like Xander and Arthur are questionable but still fits the character.

カワシさん

"Borrowed" from Serenes Forest but these are some of the confirmed English names for some of the characters shown:

Kamui - Corrin*
Elise stays the same
Garon stays the same
Marx - Xander
Gunter stays the same
Felicia stays the same
Kamui's sword is Ganglari. He has no dragonstone.
Rinka - Rinkah
Suzukaze - Kaze
Leon - Leo
Camilla stays the same
Ryouma - Ryoma
Hinoka stays the same
Nohr's capital is Castle Krakenburg
Joker - Jakob
Cyrus - Silas
Harold - Arthur
Elfie - Effie
Blue-haired Maid- Flora

*Likely a placeholder name used by the Treehouse employees when playing the demo. Unconfirmed at the moment.

Some of the name changes like Xander and Arthur are questionable but still fits the character.
Aw, I was hoping they'd keep Kamui the same, since I like that name a lot.

D

Deleted member 269706

I really hope that the S rank supports are back, I liked that system a lot. I would love it if it wasn't all marriage though, like if we could go back to the GBA games where two guys would get A rank supports and be best bros for the rest of time. Like how Gerik fought alongside Joshua's side after the war (assuming those two had A supports). Stuff like that would be awesome. I'm indifferent on the children characters. I liked them in Awakening, I'd be fine if they didn't return. I'm curious how that would work in the Nohr path if there is no world map though...

Either way, from this point on, I say we should avoid spoilers altogether in this thread out of respect for the people who really want this game to stay a secret to them. Maybe we could open up a new thread for people who do want to talk about it, but out of respect, this thread should avoid spoilers. Unless everyone's open to that.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Wouldn't spoiler tags work better up until the Western release?

D

Deleted member 269706

Wouldn't spoiler tags work better up until the Western release?
Oh yeah, for some reason I totally forgot those existed :p I mean, we do need a definition of what is really considered a spoiler in that case then, don't we? I feel like some people would consider
the confirmed marriage and children system
a spoiler, and others wouldn't because it isn't directly story related.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, IN ORDER TO MAKE A SPOILER TAG, THIS IS HOW TO DO IT:
Code:
[SPOILER=synopsis of spoiler]Actual spoiler information here[/SPOILER]
What it actually looks like:
Actual spoiler information here

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Without the spaces in the brackets:
[ SPOILER ] [ /SPOILER ]

And if you want to notfiy something in the spoiler:
[ SPOILER= "Whatever you want to say" ] [ /SPOILER ]

For example:
:4marth:

Back on topic, I think we should consider story elements, names of children, and chapters not yet shown in the West as spoilers. Since the game releases in Japan next week, we need to set a limit on the amount of content that can be shown without spoilers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

And what of the new classes, weapons, items? What about how the new pair up mechanics, weapon triangle, or new skills? Are we only considering story and characters spoilers or every new detail?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Story based weapons and classes that come later in the game are safe to consider spoilers. Regular promotions, non-legendary weapons, and some characters are fine.

I think story-relevance would be a safe deciding factor on whether or not something is qualified as a spoiler.

カワシさん

Oh yeah, for some reason I totally forgot those existed :p I mean, we do need a definition of what is really considered a spoiler in that case then, don't we? I feel like some people would consider
the confirmed marriage and children system
a spoiler, and others wouldn't because it isn't directly story related.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, IN ORDER TO MAKE A SPOILER TAG, THIS IS HOW TO DO IT:
Code:
[SPOILER=synopsis of spoiler]Actual spoiler information here[/SPOILER]
What it actually looks like:
Actual spoiler information here
Without the spaces in the brackets:
[ SPOILER ] [ /SPOILER ]

And if you want to notfiy something in the spoiler:
[ SPOILER= "Whatever you want to say" ] [ /SPOILER ]

For example:
:4marth:

Back on topic, I think we should consider story elements, names of children, and chapters not yet shown in the West as spoilers. Since the game releases in Japan next week, we need to set a limit on the amount of content that can be shown without spoilers.
Thanks for the tutorial!

That aside, I'm assuming that since If comes out next week in Japan, there will probably be gameplay videos posted on youtube by people in Japan, so in the event anyone wants to see gameplay, you can go to youtube and look up something like this:

ファイアーエムブレムif

Edit: Also, on the subject of spoilers, some peoole might want to see what's new for themselves, so that could also be a spoiler. I guess any new information might count as a spoiler if it is added to that game as a new feature in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I was debating on spoiler tagging the marriage thing, but it is a mechanic that was revealed in a magazine before Japanese release as well (even outright says it on the magazine cover page). But definitely any story stuff should be tagged. I dunno how they're going to handle kids though. I doubt it'll be integral to the story, but I'm interested to see how the supports turn out.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I collected some more localized names from the current Hoshido stream:
Tsubaki -> Subaki
Aqua -> Azura
Kazahana -> Hana

D

Deleted member 269706

So I take it that anything in regards to stories or characters MUST be put in Spoiler tags, and any relatively familiar game mechanics can just be freely talked about? Awesome. It'd be great if we could get the OP to update the thread title so that everyone's aware.

カワシさん

So I take it that anything in regards to stories or characters MUST be put in Spoiler tags, and any relatively familiar game mechanics can just be freely talked about? Awesome. It'd be great if we could get the OP to update the thread title so that everyone's aware.
Sounds good enough although in my opinion it should be mechanics that have been consistent (maybe 3 FE games and older).

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm not sure if the OP is still active but its worth a shot. Maybe we can take a page out of Serenes Forest's idea for what is considered a spoiler if some aspects become murky.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's up to you guys since this basically is the FE community on Smashboards. So whatever you want tagged, I don't mind doing the same. On that note, this thread would probably be suited for Nintenzone, but I felt like it had its roots here in Light House for so long. So it's one of the few exceptions of Nintendo IPs that I allow here unless you guys really want it moved.

And for whatever decision you come to for spoiler tag rules, I can always edit posts and thread titles to add in the rules.

カワシさん

It's up to you guys since this basically is the FE community on Smashboards. So whatever you want tagged, I don't mind doing the same. On that note, this thread would probably be suited for Nintenzone, but I felt like it had its roots here in Light House for so long. So it's one of the few exceptions of Nintendo IPs that I allow here unless you guys really want it moved.

And for whatever decision you come to for spoiler tag rules, I can always edit posts and thread titles to add in the rules.
I personally don't really mind where it goes but since this has been here for so long (I'm new to the thread but still) I'd prefer it here, but either section I'm fine with.

D

Deleted member 269706

I personally don't really mind where it goes but since this has been here for so long (I'm new to the thread but still) I'd prefer it here, but either section I'm fine with.
I second this. Would be appreciated if the thread title was edited just so everyone knew in advance.

Top Bottom